TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #61
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl25 View Post
Just for kicks, I loaded a copy of tivoapp into a hex editor and changed the "1" in 2013 to a "2". Copied it back to the (hacked) TiVo, restarted, and now transfers from nowplaying/TivoConnect page are working fine. Guess I bought myself another ten years...
Or at least until the SSL certificate expires.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #62
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That would explain why people who don't know how or can't fix it are hyper. I know I would be hyper if I didn't have kmttg and pyTivo since I can't fix TD...
To be perfectly nitpicky about it, TD doesn't need fixing. It's the TiVos themselves that were hard-coded to blow a puff of smoke in Phelp's face while the Secretary diasavowed any knowledge.

Too bad they didn't set the date two days earlier, but I guess we can call this one the St. TiVo's Day Massacre.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #63
lpwcomp

I suspect that were planning on actually using the cookie to do some kind of validation and that ŕ new cookie would be created each time but the whole idea got lost somehow.

I also suspect that Any "fix" TiVo sends out will be to TD rather than to the TiVo s/w.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #64
winesnob

WHS Workaround?

Does anyone know of a workaround for the Tivo Expander add-in for Windows Home Server? I can't find a curl.conf file anywhere.
winesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #65
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winesnob View Post
Does anyone know of a workaround for the Tivo Expander add-in for Windows Home Server? I can't find a curl.conf file anywhere.
I assume this is in reference to the HP Tivo Expander add-in. It looks like the HP Tivo Expander add-in does not use curl for program transfer. From the executables, there is a tivocli.exe that looks to be what HP uses to transfer programs. I wouldn't expect an update from HP as that product line is end of life.

You may want to either wait until Tivo fixes the issue in the Tivo boxes or though not as clean an installation as a WHS add-in, you may want to consider installing java & KMTTG on your WHS. KMTGG can run as a service & has a workaround for the Tivo date issue. Installing KMTTG would require a manual install through remote desktop and may be more than you want to take on.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #66
lpwcomp

I doubt that TiVo will fix it in the TiVo boxes. Most likely they will release a "fixed" TD.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I doubt that TiVo will fix it in the TiVo boxes. Most likely they will release a "fixed" TD.
Didn't TiVo farm out coding Tivo Desktop? Would they even know where to look in the code?

Seems like it would be easier to patch the tivoapp and then push it to all Tivos. I wouldn't think it would require a full blown software update.
But, what do I know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #68
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Seems like it would be easier to patch the tivoapp and then push it to all Tivos. I wouldn't think it would require a full blown software update.
If they don't fix it in the DVR by fixing tivoapp they will leave Transfer software apps on Apple computers, Windows Home Server, and Netgear devices unable to work properly with the DVRs. There are probably even other things that are broken that haven't been mentioned here yet that would also not get fixed. The only right way for TiVo to fix is it they way you suggest.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #69
Puppy76

Has Tivo said when this is getting fixed? Should I call Tivo support...I mean they get it that this is a big problem, right?

My friend's in the market for a new Tivo, hate that I have to explain "well, see that feature doesn't work right right now..."
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #70
Agent86
Registered Lurker

Note curl command

For anyone that was directly using the TiVo's built-in web server to download shows on Mac or Linux, I put together this curl command from the various threads here.
Code:
curl --cookie sid=abc -q '<Download MPEG-PS URL from TiVo>' -c /tmp/cookies --retry 12 --retry-delay 10 --digest -u tivo:<TiVo MAK> -o <file name you want>.TiVo

Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #71
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Speaking of which, the next "doomsday" date is December 2016. That's when the SSL certificate on the Series 3 boxes expires. I don't have a S2 to test with, but I'm guessing that expires sooner.
Oh great. What will THAT do?

And why is it taking Tivo so long to fix this? I called them last night, figuring the more people call, the more they'll get it that they need to fix it. The support guy seemed like 50% clued in. Seemed to actually be kind of aware of an issue, but really didn't get what was causing it. Oh well, still better than average for support hehee
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
If they don't fix it in the DVR by fixing tivoapp they will leave Transfer software apps on Apple computers, Windows Home Server, and Netgear devices unable to work properly with the DVRs. There are probably even other things that are broken that haven't been mentioned here yet that would also not get fixed. The only right way for TiVo to fix is it they way you suggest.
What they should do is not necessarily what they will do. It's not as if they really care about third party apps.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #73
alansh

They never really did fix the Series 1 DST issue. When the Daylight Saving dates changed in 2007, the Series1 still kept the old dates, so for a few weeks each year its clock is off. The season pass recordings were okay because they were done in GMT, but manual recordings were an hour off, and the times displayed in the interface were also off. The proper fix would be to update the Linux kernel with the revised timezone file. Instead, they send an update to your location's timezone setting during those weeks between the new and old dates. If you're in Central, it sets it to Eastern, for example.

Fortunately it was someone here on Tivo Community that figured out the timezone trick.

Pushing a full new update was a problem because (a) it had been 5 years since the last update, and (b) any update carries the risk of bricking the device or otherwise generating support calls. Given the age and how long it was out of support, they didn't want to deal with it.

For this issue, I'm sure they'll issue a fix for the Premieres.

Older boxes, I'm not so sure of. As far as I can tell, the last software release for the Series2 was in 2009 and the Series3/HD in 2011. My guess is they'll hack the curl file like was documented here in Tivo Desktop.

Last edited by alansh : 02-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #74
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Didn't TiVo farm out coding Tivo Desktop? Would they even know where to look in the code?

But, what do I know?
They don't need to look in the TiVo Desktop code because that's not where the problem is.

It's the TiVos themselves sending out the outdated cookie.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #75
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
They don't need to look in the TiVo Desktop code because that's not where the problem is.

It's the TiVos themselves sending out the outdated cookie.
Correct. I was just commenting on the speculation that TiVo is going to fix this in Tivo Desktop, not on the Tivos.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560

(Look for post #13)

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #76
alansh

I'm pretty sure that they can't just patch tivoapp. Any changes on an unhacked Tivo will cause it to fail the boot-time security checks. So they'd also have to issue a new initramdisk with the new signature, and sign the initramdisk so it will be accepted by the boot rom.

At that point, you might as well just do a full release.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #77
morac
Cat God

A TiVo rep posted on their forums that they are going to update the TiVo Desktop client to fix this. While, not ideal I guess it's the best we could hope for for older models. I still expect the cookie will be updated in the Premiere models.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #78
lpwcomp

Quote:
A TiVo rep posted on their forums that they are going to update the TiVo Desktop client to fix this. While, not ideal I guess it's the best we could hope for for older models. I still expect the cookie will be updated in the Premiere models.
Since the cookie serves no useful purpose, what would be the point?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #79
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Since the cookie serves no useful purpose, what would be the point?
Because without it, TiVo third party partner products such as the Netgear ReadyNAS, will continue to fail to work. There was someone complaining loudly in the TiVo forums that the $900 ReadyNAS he bought specifically because of it's TiVo support is now useless.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-07/...nd-hp-for-nas/

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...p?f=76&t=69689
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #80
lpwcomp

Quote:
Because without it, TiVo third party partner products such as the Netgear ReadyNAS, will continue to fail to work. There was someone complaining loudly in the TiVo forums that the $900 ReadyNAS he bought specifically because of it's TiVo support is now useless.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-07/...nd-hp-for-nas/

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...p?f=76&t=69689
A change that is Premiere only will not address the problem. The OP of the thread pointed to by your second link has two TiVo HDs. The most recent post indicates that the appropriate NAS analyst (named Skywalker apparently) "is aware of the issue and will be addressing it." I suppose that could mean that he will be using Jedi mind tricks on the weak minded fools at TiVo to get them to do something..

Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #81
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
A change that is Premiere only will not address the problem. The OP of the thread pointed to by your second link has two TiVo HDs. The most recent post indicates that the appropriate NAS analyst (named Skywalker apparently) "is aware of the issue and will be addressing it." I suppose that could mean that he will be using Jedi mind tricks on the weak minded fools at TiVo to get them to do something..
LOL
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #82
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
It's nearly impossible for this to be a Windows issue, as I've had the same symptoms of an expiry date issue on 3 different PCs with separate OS's (Win7 x32, Win7 x64, and WinXP). The WinXP PC hasn't had updates applied for at least 4 months.
That may be, but it can't be a Windows issue because I'm on a Mac network, and this issue seems to be affecting the iTivo app as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #83
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
This wont help those using iTivo or any third party app.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #84
msmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
This wont help those using iTivo or any third party app.

Joe, for the iTivo part, look down a few threads in the forum index,

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503168

Don't know if it works but there you have it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #85
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmart View Post
Joe, for the iTivo part, look down a few threads in the forum index,

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503168

Don't know if it works but there you have it.
Thank you - I used the advice at http://code.google.com/p/itivo/issues/detail?id=234 which works for one TiVo at a time, by IP address, which is fine, my TiVos all have static IPs.
Your link looks like it may work regardless of IP. I'll check it out further. Much thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #86
Agent86
Registered Lurker

You may also want to check out cTiVo.

It is a brand new entry in 3rd party TiVo software for the Mac. It is even being recomendad by the iTiVo folks!
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #87
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
You may also want to check out cTiVo.

It is a brand new entry in 3rd party TiVo software for the Mac. It is even being recomendad by the iTiVo folks!
cTiVo looks promising, but potential users should note, Lion is the minimum OS.