Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #9391
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
2x 1.0TB drives, as far as I know that means I'm SOL because they're striped and I don't want to divorce them in case I have to go back because the 2TB doesn't work out.

I really like the idea of backing up the data, pulling them as a pair, doing all my testing on the new 2TB and if it fails I can go back to the existing drives full of content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Another interesting experiment would be to hook up both drives and a single 2TB and see if it will let you select both current drives as the A and B of the source and the 2TB as the target.
Quote:
I can do that..I thought it wasn't possible in the S3 with WinMFS but it's win/win since I lose no data and I have enough SATA ports in the test bed to do it.
As I thought, WinMFS says it can't combine A and B to a new drive, says "not supported at this time"
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #9392
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Ok, I let my original 250GB update to 11.0k,
I used WinMFS and let it copy then expand, it said "hey you're going to make a partition bigger than 1TB, are you sure?" and unlike previous times I said "yes make a bigger than 1TB partition" was that the right thing to have done?

I'm not 100% sure the machine is healthy since I'm not paring the CC's in this interim scenario. It shows 2512SD or 288HD hours, that sounds right? but it doesn't want to copy anything via the network at the moment.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #9393
unitron

Quote:
Ok, I let my original 250GB update to 11.0k,
I used WinMFS and let it copy then expand, it said "hey you're going to make a partition bigger than 1TB, are you sure?" and unlike previous times I said "yes make a bigger than 1TB partition" was that the right thing to have done?

I'm not 100% sure the machine is healthy since I'm not paring the CC's in this interim scenario. It shows 2512SD or 288HD hours, that sounds right? but it doesn't want to copy anything via the network at the moment.
I've got a 648 with a WD20EURS and a 15th MFS Media partition that's 1.6TB in size.

And a 1GB swap partition.

I never bothered with supersizing.

It sayeth Variable, up to 287 HD hours, or 2511 SD hours

It's on analog cable and no antenna hooked up, if that matters to the numbers, although I suspect not.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #9394
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I've got a 648 with a WD20EURS and a 15th MFS Media partition that's 1.6TB in size.
It's on analog cable and no antenna hooked up, if that matters to the numbers, although I suspect not.
Sounds like mine is on the money, I didn't do anything special as far as swap file, should I have? it's not a big deal since this was a test, I still have to offload the existing shows from the 2x 1.0TB setup before making the move. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #9395
unitron

Quote:
Sounds like mine is on the money, I didn't do anything special as far as swap file, should I have? it's not a big deal since this was a test, I still have to offload the existing shows from the 2x 1.0TB setup before making the move. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing
Yeah, I almost know what I'm doing to.

The swap thing is just something I choose to do. Back in the breaking the 137GB barrier days of patched kernel S1s, it was considered necessary to go bigger than stock, in the event a GSOD had to be fixed, with a rule of thumb of 1MB for every 2GB of hard drive.

It probably isn't necessary on newer embiggened TiVos, but I've never heard of it hurting anything, and at 15 minutes of video on a 2TB drive, I figure it's cheap insurance.

But plenty of people have used jmfs to take a 320GB Premiere up to 2TB without changing the swap size, and I haven't heard of any of them having problems conclusively linked to insufficient swap size, so...

Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer cherce.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #9396
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I just put everything back the way it was, an S3 with 2x 1.0TB drives shows 318 HD / 2777 SD hours, same as the Weaknees upgrade drive, there's a chunk of space missing with the 2TB drive, almost 10%, that may be enough to have me scuttle this project.

Last edited by dianebrat : 02-23-2013 at 10:37 PM.
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #9397
unitron

Quote:
I just put everything back the way it was, an S3 with 2x 1.0TB drives shows 318 HD / 2777 SD hours, same as the Weaknees upgrade drive, there's a chunk of space missing with the 2TB drive, almost 10%, that may be enough to have me scuttle this project.
Did you supersize that 2TB?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #9398
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
No, should I? (it's no big deal to do tomorrow with coffee)
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #9399
jmbach

Quote:
Yes, the space you are missing is from not supersizing the drive. Those look like the numbers of my 648 after expanding and before supersizing (287). Can't remember at this time the exact details but supersizing adds video time by reducing the space of something else. Unless someone else pipes in first, I'll look it up and get back to you on what that something else is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #9400
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Wonder what Tivo is like with coffee.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #9401
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Positively electrifying.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #9402
reubanks

Quote:
Positively electrifying.

I'm SHOCKED that you would say that!
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #9403
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Positively electrifying.

The caffeine is most exhilarating.

Wouldn't a caffeinated Tivo drive itself to drink?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #9404
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Coffee makes EVERYTHING better (except sleep that is)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #9405
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Depends on whether you pour the coffee on the TiVo or into your mouth.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #9406
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Yes, the space you are missing is from not supersizing the drive. Those look like the numbers of my 648 after expanding and before supersizing (287). Can't remember at this time the exact details but supersizing adds video time by reducing the space of something else. Unless someone else pipes in first, I'll look it up and get back to you on what that something else is.
YES!
I supersized it, booted up, and it's now 318/2777, perfect numbers.

I just need to finish off loading the existing programs this week then I can swap over and start using the single drive setup.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #9407
jmbach

Supersizing takes away from tivo video clip storage (advertising) space and gives it to your recording space.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #9408
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Supersizing takes away from tivo video clip storage (advertising) space and gives it to your recording space.
Interesting; I wondered why half the time there is no advertisement banner on the TiVo Central screen.

A side note:
What is the point of this?: Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Do you get paid to advertise?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #9409
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
A side note:
What is the point of this?: Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Do you get paid to advertise?
Nope. Just too lazy to change the default signature.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #9410
John Wilson

I have a question regarding an external drive. It is a WD 500GB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. The fan in the enclosure is near death and is making a racket. I'm not quite ready to upgrade the internal drive (post to follow soon) so I'd like to put the 500GB in a new enclosure and replug to the OLED S3 TiVo. Questions:

1. Can I just put the drive into a new eSATA enclosure and connect to the TiVo or will the new S/W in the TiVo prevent this from happening? I was able to use the Antec as its old and back then you could make the TiVo see the generic drive and enclosure.

2. What enclosure would others suggest to replace the over-priced Antec MX-1? I need one that is reliable and quiet.

Thanks for your help. This fan is driving me nuts.

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #9411
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
I have a question regarding an external drive. It is a WD 500GB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. The fan in the enclosure is near death and is making a racket. I'm not quite ready to upgrade the internal drive (post to follow soon) so I'd like to put the 500GB in a new enclosure and replug to the OLED S3 TiVo. Questions:

1. Can I just put the drive into a new eSATA enclosure and connect to the TiVo or will the new S/W in the TiVo prevent this from happening? I was able to use the Antec as its old and back then you could make the TiVo see the generic drive and enclosure.

2. What enclosure would others suggest to replace the over-priced Antec MX-1? I need one that is reliable and quiet.

Got any sewing machine oil or 3 in 1?

Got any light grease?

You could re-lubricate it with a mixture of those 2.

Or if you'll post the brand and model number of the fan itself--should be on the label--I might be able to Google-Fu up enough about it to find a drop-in replacement somewhere that you could order.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #9412
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

Call/email Antec, they're VERY good about sending replacements out, the MX-1 is still the best out there, last time I emailed them and said I had bought a 2nd case because it was on sale and now after 3 years both fans were dying, they sent me 2 fan assemblies at n/c.

And the Tivo doesn't care what case the drive is in, it only cares that it's the same drive it knows from before.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #9413
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Or if you'll post the brand and model number of the fan itself--should be on the label--I might be able to Google-Fu up enough about it to find a drop-in replacement somewhere that you could order.
The MX-1 fan assembly is unique, it's not replaceable in that manner, but Antec is very good at sending out replacements.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #9414
John Wilson

Smile Plan B - Replace internal drive

While I appreciate the response to my last post about my MX-1 enclosure issue, it made me think that its probably worth looking at getting rid of the external drive. I have a 648 with the original 250GB drive plus the Antec external with a 500GB. I am running 11.0K version of the software. I managed to get my hands on a WD WD20EURS and I have a PC with a free SATA port and WinMFS installed. Based on what I've read recently I should be able to go from my original 250GB drive to the 2TB drive using just WinMFS. If that is an accurate statement then this is what I plan to do:

- Power down the TiVo then the external drive.

- Power up the TiVo alone and divorce the external drive. I know I will lose my recordings but that is the downside of the striping procedure TiVo uses with an external drive. Does the Divorce really work?

- Power down the TiVo, pull the 250GB and make a truncated backup using WinMFS. Does this save Season Passes and CC pairings?

- swap the 250GB with the 2TB drive on the PC and do a Restore with a swap size of 512mb

- answer YES to the question about expanding

- Select Tools-> MfsSuperSize -> On

- install 2TB drive and power up

What steps am I missing or have stated incorrectly? My head is spinning with all of the options and discoveries. I'd like to avoid jfms if possible but I'd like to have a 2TB drive in the unit as its my main recording device.

Please let me know if you think this will work. If not, what procedure do you suggest?

Timing is Everything
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #9415
unitron

Quote:
While I appreciate the response to my last post about my MX-1 enclosure issue, it made me think that its probably worth looking at getting rid of the external drive. I have a 648 with the original 250GB drive plus the Antec external with a 500GB. I am running 11.0K version of the software. I managed to get my hands on a WD WD20EURS and I have a PC with a free SATA port and WinMFS installed. Based on what I've read recently I should be able to go from my original 250GB drive to the 2TB drive using just WinMFS. If that is an accurate statement then this is what I plan to do:

- Power down the TiVo then the external drive.

- Power up the TiVo alone and divorce the external drive. I know I will lose my recordings but that is the downside of the striping procedure TiVo uses with an external drive. Does the Divorce really work?

- Power down the TiVo, pull the 250GB and make a truncated backup using WinMFS. Does this save Season Passes and CC pairings?

- swap the 250GB with the 2TB drive on the PC and do a Restore with a swap size of 512mb

- answer YES to the question about expanding

- Select Tools-> MfsSuperSize -> On

- install 2TB drive and power up

What steps am I missing or have stated incorrectly? My head is spinning with all of the options and discoveries. I'd like to avoid jfms if possible but I'd like to have a 2TB drive in the unit as its my main recording device.

Please let me know if you think this will work. If not, what procedure do you suggest?
First, go to the WD website, put in that 2TB's model number and search and look to your left where it says downloads for the diagnostic software for that model (which is probably the same for all of their current models), then run the long test on that 2TB before putting into service.

A WinMFS truncated back up of your drive should retain all settings, cable card pairings, etc.

I'd use a swap size of 1024MB, but that may just be me being overly cautious.

While you have the TiVo open check the power supply capacitors.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and replace the ones on the +5V and +12V line just on GP.

Restore to the 2TB, and expand and tell it it's okay to go over 1TB or 1.2TB or whatever figure it is that it'll throw at you.

Then supersize if you wish.

Remember to always know where both ends of the TiVo's power cable are at all times.

You can copy off whatever shows aren't copy protected with TiVo Desktop before divorcing and restore them from the PC after the drive change.

Just remember to edit Desktop's curl.conf file because of the out of date cookie problem.

And then you can send me the MX-1 and the 500 to play with.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #9416
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
A WinMFS truncated back up of your drive should retain all settings, cable card pairings, etc.

I'd use a swap size of 1024MB, but that may just be me being overly cautious.
dumb question, I keep seeing that mentioned, and I have no problem redoing mine, but I didn't see a place in WinMFS for that and if I just missed it, what's the box say and what numerical value should I use?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #9417
unitron

Quote:
dumb question, I keep seeing that mentioned, and I have no problem redoing mine, but I didn't see a place in WinMFS for that and if I just missed it, what's the box say and what numerical value should I use?
There's a grey box that pops up during restore that gives you a place to check if you want to NOT use the "optimized" partition layout that was introduced in the Series 2s* and also gives you a box with 64 or 128 or whatever MB already filled in for the swap partition size (depending on whatever size that model came with from the factory), but you can change the number in the box.

*The "optimized layout keeps the same partitions "numbered" the same, but places the 2nd MFS Media partition right after the Apple Partition Map which is the first partition, so that the OS partitions are in the middle and the 1st and 2nd Media partitions are on one end or the other of the drive, supposedly so that it can get from the OS part to either Media partition faster by only swinging the arm across half of the drive from the middle instead of from near the front all the way to the end.

Of course if you're going onto a bigger (especially a really bigger, like 2TB) drive, and expanding by adding a 3rd MFS pair, then that sort of defeats the purpose somewhat, but I figure do it which ever way it came from the factory so as to change what it's designed for as little as possible, so only on a Series 1 would you select the "non-optimized" layout.

A few years back I upped an S2 DT from the stock 80GB to a 500GB, but for some reason went with the S1 type layout.

The TiVo worked fine (except for my mom filling it up too fast), but I could not make a truncated backup of it no matter what I tried, MFS Live or WinMFS.

And of course when I made a backup of the 80 before copying to the 500 originally I didn't test the backup like I should have, so naturally it didn't work either when I needed it.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #9418
John Wilson

Smile

Quote:

You can copy off whatever shows aren't copy protected with TiVo Desktop before divorcing and restore them from the PC after the drive change.

Just remember to edit Desktop's curl.conf file because of the out of date cookie problem.
Thank you for your response. I forgot about running the new drive through its paces before putting all the time and effort to get it "TiVo ready". I do have a copy of the free TiVo Desktop and was planning to offload some programs to that and some to another S3 HD box. I'm confused by the curl.conf statement relating to cookies. Could you elaborate on that issue or direct me to a thread that deals with it? How would one edit that file?

Quote:
And then you can send me the MX-1 and the 500 to play with.
Its tempting but if I get some love from Antec I have plenty of places to use that combination. Sorry.

Timing is Everything
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #9419
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I forgot about running the new drive through its paces before putting all the time and effort to get it "TiVo ready". I do have a copy of the free TiVo Desktop and was planning to offload some programs to that and some to another S3 HD box. I'm confused by the curl.conf statement relating to cookies. Could you elaborate on that issue or direct me to a thread that deals with it?

At last count I think there were too many to count, but

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501069

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501067

Quote:
How would one edit that file?
Somewhere in all of that, morac explains it all.

(Hat tip to notting, though, for figuring out where the problem was in the first place)

Quote:
Its tempting but if I get some love from Antec I have plenty of places to use that combination. Sorry.
Well, shucky darn.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #9420
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
There's a grey box that pops up during restore that gives you a place to check if you want to NOT use the "optimized" partition layout that was introduced in the Series 2s* and also gives you a box with 64 or 128 or whatever MB already filled in for the swap partition size (depending on whatever size that model came with from the factory), but you can change the number in the box.
TYVM!
I've gone by that box multiple times and never thought about it.
I restored to the 2TB, updated the swap file to 1024MB and then expanded and supersized, I should be all set to drop it in after I finish coping all the items I want off it and onto the server.