TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #2101
rafaelvelasquez2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm just another TiVo user, not a hard drive engineer, but it's my first choice.
Thank you for the info. Amazon has got it for $111 right now so I'm gonna get it. In 2-3 days, if all goes well, I should be back here to report some good news. Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
rafaelvelasquez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #2102
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
ggieseke, I would like to try your compressed Premiere image. I just bought a Premiere without a hard drive installed, and this seems like the easiest way for me to get it working. I can't PM as I don't have enough posts yet.
What model number is it? The only image I have so far is for a TCD 746320, which should work fine on any 746 series. A few others like jmbach have gotten it to work on a 748 series because it recognizes that it has the wrong (or possibly outdated) software and updates itself, but there still may be some issues there - we're not sure yet.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #2103
ntrance

That's the model I have, tcd746320.
ntrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #2104
ggieseke

Quote:
That's the model I have, tcd746320.
PM sent.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #2105
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
MFSCOPY on the JMFS tool or Live MFS or WinMFS for that matter will work, any Linux Live CD will do it with dd.

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024
(In from disk a, out to disk b)

BUT I'll bet you don't have a bad disk. Mine has done the freeze/reboot dance and I'm thinking the disk is OK. After I restarted to TV to clear HDCP confusion, my Premiere has stayed up but I've still gotten signs of impending failure with drops and slowdowns.

One suggestion so far has to been to see how solid the operation is when you keep the Ethernet cable unplugged as much as possible - with the SD menus. The HD menus will complain endlessly about no net access.

Is the blocksize option on the dd command important when you're cloning a disk?
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #2106
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
Is the blocksize option on the dd command important when you're cloning a disk?
That depends on whether the source drive is in good shape or not.

Although if it has any problems at all you're better off using

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

but to go back to your original question, the larger the block size specified the fewer reads and writes will be necessary and that means you'll be done sooner.

As long as you don't set the block size too high.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #2107
pspens

Quote:
That depends on whether the source drive is in good shape or not.

Although if it has any problems at all you're better off using

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

but to go back to your original question, the larger the block size specified the fewer reads and writes will be necessary and that means you'll be done sooner.

As long as you don't set the block size too high.
Well my source drive is in good shape. I did a clone with no parameters of a 1.5 TB disk and it took over 16 hours. The new drive is still questionable to me even though I ran all the tests I could and they all passed. BTW, this was a clone of Windows 7 c: drive. The resulting drive was not bootable and I think I may know why. There is probably a security mechanism related to Windows licensing that encodes something specific about the drive, such as the S/N, so that someone couldn't just clone drives and sell them. I ended up trying dd because the Acronis cloning software which came with the drive (DOM 2009) failed with the error "MFT bitmap corrupted". I ran chkdsk on my c: drive and received no errors, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact I'm running Windows 7 and the software Acronis software's date was sometime during Vista and something in the Windows 7 environment broke it. I'll probably call Seagate tomorrow if I can't find a resolution on my own. BTW, dd_rescue and ddrescue; there are 2 different utilities? When I saw someone write dd_rescue, I thought they just made a typo.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #2108
unitron

Quote:
Well my source drive is in good shape. I did a clone with no parameters of a 1.5 TB disk and it took over 16 hours. The new drive is still questionable to me even though I ran all the tests I could and they all passed. BTW, this was a clone of Windows 7 c: drive. The resulting drive was not bootable and I think I may know why. There is probably a security mechanism related to Windows licensing that encodes something specific about the drive, such as the S/N, so that someone couldn't just clone drives and sell them. I ended up trying dd because the Acronis cloning software which came with the drive (DOM 2009) failed with the error "MFT bitmap corrupted". I ran chkdsk on my c: drive and received no errors, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact I'm running Windows 7 and the software Acronis software's date was sometime during Vista and something in the Windows 7 environment broke it. I'll probably call Seagate tomorrow if I can't find a resolution on my own. BTW, dd_rescue and ddrescue; there are 2 different utilities? When I saw someone write dd_rescue, I thought they just made a typo.
Is/was there a GigaByte brand motherboard involved in any of this?

Did you do the non-bootable cloning inside of Windows?

dd

is a Unix command line utility that actually came from somewhere else, which is why the syntax is different from most of the Unix command line stuff.

It's available on just about any of the bootable Linux environment cd's.

The Linux command line utility

dd_rescue

is on the MFS Live cd, and is much more flexible than

dd

Another Linux command line utility is

ddrescue

which is apparently what the jmfs cd uses for the copy part of what it does.

It, too, is more flexible than

dd

You might find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

to be interesting reading.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #2109
pspens

Quote:
Is/was there a GigaByte brand motherboard involved in any of this?
No, thank god. I read about those nightmares in this thread.

Quote:
Did you do the non-bootable cloning inside of Windows?
No, I booted to SLAX.

Quote:

dd

is a Unix command line utility that actually came from somewhere else, which is why the syntax is different from most of the Unix command line stuff.

It's available on just about any of the bootable Linux environment cd's.

The Linux command line utility

dd_rescue

is on the MFS Live cd, and is much more flexible than

dd

Another Linux command line utility is

ddrescue

which is apparently what the jmfs cd uses for the copy part of what it does.

It, too, is more flexible than

dd

You might find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

to be interesting reading.
Thanks. I know this is the wrong thread to be discussing cloning a Windows 7 drive... I appreciate the patience.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #2110
unitron

Quote:
No, thank god. I read about those nightmares in this thread.

No, I booted to SLAX.

Thanks. I know this is the wrong thread to be discussing cloning a Windows 7 drive... I appreciate the patience.
Maybe it's got something to do with the whole advanced format and GPT instead of an MBR thing.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Unless it boots enough to read the S.M.A.R.T. data, including drive model and serial number, and realize that it's not on the same drive on which it was originally installed and balks at that, though I'd expect it to give you some kind of screen saying you had to re-validate the installation or something.

Okay, now I really got nothin'.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #2111
pspens

Quote:
Maybe it's got something to do with the whole advanced format and GPT instead of an MBR thing.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Unless it boots enough to read the S.M.A.R.T. data, including drive model and serial number, and realize that it's not on the same drive on which it was originally installed and balks at that, though I'd expect it to give you some kind of screen saying you had to re-validate the installation or something.

Okay, now I really got nothin'.
The manual which came with the DiskWizard software indicates that during cloning under Vista, the Vista OS disk will be needed for security purposes. Since Windows 7 is just an upgrade of Vista, I suspect the same thing would be true if I had the right version of DiskWizard. Therefore, merely cloning the disk leaves something out, some piece of security verification that I truly own the Windows 7 which I'm copying. BTW, other than not being bootable, the disk looks identical to the original. dd reported no errors. Also interesting is dd runs silently and there does not seem to be a switch to have it do otherwise, so once I executed the dd command, it just sat there for 16 hours doing its thing with no output to the screen.

Last edited by pspens : 02-24-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: type
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2112
unitron

Quote:
The manual which came with the DiskWizard software indicates that during cloning under Vista, the Vista OS disk will be needed for security purposes. Since Windows 7 is just an upgrade of Vista, I suspect the same thing would be true if I had the right version of DiskWizard. Therefore, merely cloning the disk leaves something out, some piece of security verification that I truly own the Windows 7 which I'm copying. BTW, other than not being bootable, the disk looks identical to the original. dd reported no errors. Also interesting is dd runs silently and there does not seem to be a switch to have it do otherwise, so once I executed the dd command, it just sat there for 16 hours doing its thing with no output to the screen.
Whereas

dd_rescue

has a verbose option

-v

which causes it to constantly be putting updated figures on the screen.

ddrescue

probably does as well, but I don't have any experience with it to speak of.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2113
pspens

Cloning Windows 7 drive: update

Ok, now I am a little confused. I went to Seagate and downloaded their latest DiskWizard software. I ran the clone option and this time didn't get that bogus error (MFT bitmap corrupted). It went ahead and cloned the disk for me and it is bootable! However, it did NOT ask me for any verification of ownership of the OS. So, either

1) dd should have worked, or
2) DiskWizard is automagically doing something that makes the drive bootable.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #2114
ntrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
What model number is it? The only image I have so far is for a TCD 746320, which should work fine on any 746 series. A few others like jmbach have gotten it to work on a 748 series because it recognizes that it has the wrong (or possibly outdated) software and updates itself, but there still may be some issues there - we're not sure yet.
Thanks for the image! It worked great. I was also able to expand it to a 1tb drive. I wasn't able to copy the image to the disk until I ran the Windows Command Prompt as administrator. I also had to Clear and Delete Everything so that it had the correct Tivo Service Number instead of zeros.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #2115
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the image! It worked great. I was also able to expand it to a 1tb drive. I wasn't able to copy the image to the disk until I ran the Windows Command Prompt as administrator. I also had to Clear and Delete Everything so that it had the correct Tivo Service Number instead of zeros.
May we presume you used the jmfs cd to do the expansion?

Pity you didn't use a 2TB drive, as it's a one-shot only deal.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #2116
ntrance

Quote:
May we presume you used the jmfs cd to do the expansion?

Pity you didn't use a 2TB drive, as it's a one-shot only deal.
Correct, I used the jmfs cd to expand/super size. The 1tb drive was one I had handy for trying it out. I may use a 2tb drive instead.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #2117
ggieseke

Quote:
Glad it worked. That software is basically just the Windows equivalent of dd with a Microsoft dynamically expanding VHD as the target drive. Since the "amost virgin" source drive the image was based on still had huge chunks of space with all zeroes it compressed down fairly well.

Running it as administrator and doing a C&DE afterward is normal.

The next generation is still a work in progress but it's almost there. It can take any Premiere drive (even a 2TB XL4 with months of recordings) down to about 2.7GB, and zipping the resulting image knocks off another 30-40 percent. Once I tweak the "What Not to Backup" code a little further and run a lot more tests it should be ready.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #2118
ldmattice

I was going to use JMFS Live 104 Boot CD to upgrade my drive, but I get no Video (or it hangs, can't tell) on boot up.

I have an ASUS M5A88-M MOBO with integrated video. I tried going back to factory setting on the board, but no luck. I see the linux loading message (first two lines) then nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
ldmattice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #2119
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmattice View Post
I was going to use JMFS Live 104 Boot CD to upgrade my drive, but I get no Video (or it hangs, can't tell) on boot up.

I have an ASUS M5A88-M MOBO with integrated video. I tried going back to factory setting on the board, but no luck. I see the linux loading message (first two lines) then nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
See if the MFS Live cd v1.4 and the Ultimate Boot cd will boot on that board.

Then we'll have more info.

And you should have those cd's on hand for GP anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #2120
ldmattice

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had an MFS 1.4 CD available and it only boots part way in text mode. Here are the last few lines .....

Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
using C1E aware idle routine
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
ACPI: Core revision 20080926
weird, boot CPU (#0) not listedby the BIOS.
..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
CPU0: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Booting processor 1 APIC 0x10 ip 0x6000

I will try ubcd shortly.

I have tried disabling APIC and shutting down two of the four cores with no luck.

Thanks in adavance for any more suggestions.
ldmattice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #2121
unitron

I think there are some motherboards, especially AMD CPU ones, that just don't like Live Linux.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #2122
magnus
Tivo User

Has anyone figured out how to make a truncated backup of a Premiere yet?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #2123
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I think the compressed backup of a virgin image that's enjoying some experimental success remains the only alternative so far to overwriting with a second drive.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #2124
AintHurtinNobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
ggieseke

I was pointed to this thread....I'd love to get that image for the TCD746320. My drive got jacked, I was about to just put it in the PC, so I'm not going to do any harm. Happy to be a guinea pig.

Let me know if there's a way to get it...and BTW, if you PM me, I can't reply yet, as this is post No. 2.
AintHurtinNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #2125
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintHurtinNobody View Post
ggieseke

I was pointed to this thread....I'd love to get that image for the TCD746320. My drive got jacked, I was about to just put it in the PC, so I'm not going to do any harm. Happy to be a guinea pig.

Let me know if there's a way to get it...and BTW, if you PM me, I can't reply yet, as this is post No. 2.
PM sent.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #2126
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I should have something out in a week or two.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #2127
drvanhook

Question

question about upgrade options...bought a new-to-me Premiere that has the original 320 GB drive in it...have to do a "clear and delete" anyways to set it up for us, was thinking to just upgrade it to a 2TB before we start using it as our primary family tivo...so at this point there are NO recordings or settings I need to preserve, could either buy a blank WD20EURS drive and follow the steps in post 1 OR buy a pre-configured drive for around $70extra...

came across DVR-Dude's ebay listings for pre-configured drives, and was wondering if all the "why my image is the best" details were just hype/"buzz words", or if his pre-configured drive really would perform better than what I'd have if I did it myself?

anyone have any metrics? or details on how/why his image differs from what you get by following the steps in this thread? or the preconfigured drives from weaknees or anyone else for that matter?

I have no problem cracking my computer open and doing the upgrade per post 1, as I did the upgrade for my HD Tivo myself, but it does seem to run a tad slower after the upgrade, but if there IS an actual performance improvement with his image, I'd have no problem paying the extra $70 to buy his ready-to-go drive and save my time...

thanks for any info!
drvanhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #2128
AintHurtinNobody

Big, big props to ggieseke...his image restored my Premiere to working order.

I may end up having to replace the drive, as WD diagnostics found errors, then errored out at the end of fixing them and errored when I tried to do a quick test after that. But all that aside, the image worked, and it's back up and running.
AintHurtinNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #2129
ringo->

Hey guys new here and need some advice

Trying to get the W off my arse... ;-) She uses tivo and has a Tivo Premier Series 4 HD model: TCD746320 with a cable card. Of course right over a year old and just went into Green Screen loop. Have left on over night twice and just keeps rebooting Green Screen. From what I have read this means Drive NG. She's addicted to this thing so now I am hearing about it. I was actually about to upgrade the drive to a 2TB and had already purchased the drive and reading about the process to upgrade when this happened. Hadn't touched the tivo yet when this happened. Since it was already not working I went ahead and pulled the drive and made the iso from this latest rev104.iso booted up with the iso and the old tivo drive that green screen'd and the new 2TB drive. It boots up and says no Tivo drive found. Any way to get a good image to upload to this new drive or a way to pull/fix the old drive to transfer to this new drive? Looking for any advice on where to proceed with this tivo to get it going again. Thanks.
ringo-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #2130
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo-> View Post
Trying to get the W off my arse... ;-) She uses tivo and has a Tivo Premier Series 4 HD model: TCD746320 with a cable card. Of course right over a year old and just went into Green Screen loop. Have left on over night twice and just keeps rebooting Green Screen. From what I have read this means Drive NG. She's addicted to this thing so now I am hearing about it. I was actually about to upgrade the drive to a 2TB and had already purchased the drive and reading about the process to upgrade when this happened. Hadn't touched the tivo yet when this happened. Since it was already not working I went ahead and pulled the drive and made the iso from this latest rev104.iso booted up with the iso and the old tivo drive that green screen'd and the new 2TB drive. It boots up and says no Tivo drive found. Any way to get a good image to upload to this new drive or a way to pull/fix the old drive to transfer to this new drive? Looking for any advice on where to proceed with this tivo to get it going again. Thanks.
Unless you have a friend with the same model TiVo you are out of luck as a do-it -yourself project, you will have to purchase a formatted drive off E-Bay or weaknees.