TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question lifetime a TiVo HD or S3 (OLED)

I currently picked up an older Series 3 (OLED) for cheap on Craiglist. Mainly got it for its hard drive to put in my other Series 3 (OLED) lifetime unit. Everything works good so far, but I was thinking of then possibly putting in another hard drive I have into this recent CL Series 3 & then trying to lifetime it later for $99.

However, I might be able to get a hold of a Series 3 TiVo HD. The model that has two cable card slots, but can accept 1 M-card or 2 S-cards. I thought I could then maybe lifetime this unit instead.

I like the front clock of the older Series 3 (OLED), but other than the cable card advantage, is there really any other advantage of this TiVo HD over a Series 3 (OLED)? If so, what?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 02-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I much prefer my OLED S3 to the HD.(For no other reason than looks; it seems to perform the same.) You should try calling TiVo and finding out about the LT on the OLED. My LT cost was $99 on a used OLED.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I far prefer the OLED S3 and still have mine, the HD is long gone, it never felt as "expensive" as the S3. Granted the XL4 is the new top dog, but the S3 gets a lot of love and does a great job with its primary duties.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I far prefer the OLED S3 and still have mine, the HD is long gone, it never felt as "expensive" as the S3. Granted the XL4 is the new top dog, but the S3 gets a lot of love and does a great job with its primary duties.
Yea, I actually like the look of the Series 3 (OLED) better too and why I already have an additional lifetimed S3. The clock on the front ALONE seems like a nice feature and I wish they would have kept this for ALL future TiVos. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
You should try calling TiVo and finding out about the LT on the OLED. My LT cost was $99 on a used OLED.
Yea, I am gonna try to $99 lifetime this recently acquired Craigslist S3 (OLED) since I have a TiVo Premiere coming up for renewal in May. I also $99 lifetimed an older Series 2 (DT) with my other Premiere (but have since sold the S2) so am familiar with the process. Just wondering if there are any other advantages of the newer TiVo HDs (series 3).

I have heard you can only $99 lifetime Series 2/3 for EACH Premiere, but I wonder if TiVo would allow me to lifetime these TWO Series 3s for just the one Premiere I have coming up for renewal. Anybody have any luck doing this? I guess its worth a shot and the worst they can say is no.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 02-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
spaldingclan

I called to get a $99 LT on my Tivo HD and they turned me down
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I bought a used Premiere with lifetime but they wouldn't give me $99 lifetime on any of the other Tivos I have of any type. But I wasn't and never have paid any monthly fee for any of them. I bought them all used.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I like the front clock of the older Series 3 (OLED), but other than the cable card advantage, is there really any other advantage of this TiVo HD over a Series 3 (OLED)? If so, what?
You mentioned the cable card advantage. One other minor advantage is that the easier to use jmfs upgrade CD works with Tivo HD but doesn't work with OLED S3. (It's actually only "designed" to work with Premieres, but happens to work with Tivo HDs.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You mentioned the cable card advantage. One other minor advantage is that the easier to use jmfs upgrade CD works with Tivo HD but doesn't work with OLED S3. (It's actually only "designed" to work with Premieres, but happens to work with Tivo HDs.)
If you're already running 11.0k of the TiVo OS (and if the TiVo's been hooked up within the past year or two you should be), then you can use WinMFS to take any of the 3 US S3 models (648, 652, 658) up to 2TB.

You'll get a 3rd MFS Media partition that's 1.6TB in size on the first two, but 11.0k seems to be able to handle that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
WO312

Isn't it also true that the OLED S3 REQUIRES 2 cable cards? Doesn't matter if they are S or M type.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Isn't it also true that the OLED S3 REQUIRES 2 cable cards? Doesn't matter if they are S or M type.
<Ed McMahon voice>You are correct, sir!</Ed McMahon voice>

Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you're already running 11.0k of the TiVo OS (and if the TiVo's been hooked up within the past year or two you should be), then you can use WinMFS to take any of the 3 US S3 models (648, 652, 658) up to 2TB.

You'll get a 3rd MFS Media partition that's 1.6TB in size on the first two, but 11.0k seems to be able to handle that.
whoa! when did that happen and do you have a link? I would LOVE to do a 2TB internal in my S3 instead of the 2 1TBs, Should I put my original 250GB in and let it update?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
whoa! when did that happen and do you have a link? I would LOVE to do a 2TB internal in my S3 instead of the 2 1TBs, Should I put my original 250GB in and let it update?
When I put a WD20EURS in a TCD652160 I copied to a 1TB with WinMFS, upping the swap to 1024MB, and expanding, then I used jmfs to copy to the 2 and add a 16th partition.

That was before I knew that, unlike the MFS Live cd v1.4, WinMFS can take a drive that's already been embiggened with a 3rd MFS pair and copy it to an even bigger drive and then enlarge that last MFS Media partition.

Recently, based on having learned that about WinMFS and seeing the 648 upgrade technique that involved hex editing away an Apple Free partition and then using WinMFS to enlarge the partition just before where the Apple Free partition was, it occurred to me that since WinMFS doesn't have a problem with deleting an Apple Free partition and using the space, that the whole hex edit thing was unneccessary.

I handheld a guy through a 652 upgrade (and melted down an email server or 2 in the process, I suspect) and had him take the original 160 and use WinMFS to copy it straight to a WD20EURS and expand, and the last I heard it's working fine.

Then I took a 648 I recently acquired and did the same thing after just barely rescuing the contents of its 250GB before it finished dying, and it's working fine.

I have no proof that a 1GB swap partition is needed, but it's only like 15 minutes of video, so it's cheap insurance.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have heard you can only $99 lifetime Series 2/3 for EACH Premiere, but I wonder if TiVo would allow me to lifetime these TWO Series 3s for just the one Premiere I have coming up for renewal. Anybody have any luck doing this? I guess its worth a shot and the worst they can say is no.
Most likely, they will say no. I tried several times and they shot me down every time. Wasn't till I bought a 2nd Premiere that they let me turn my other HD into a $99 lifer.

After that, I decided to sell my OLED and keep the HD. I like the looks of the OLED better, but I didn't like having to pay comcast for that 2nd card every month. If I were still running OTA only, I would have definitely kept the OLED.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
Series3Sub

I still have 2 of the 648 OLED, and the OLED that displays the clock and what is recording is still so useful to see, and it so the pinnacle of design. I am someone who really prefers lights and other data on the box so that I can see at a glance what is going on. It really breaks my heart that just about every piece of tech STB today comes with hardly any useful lights to indicate what is going on.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I still have 2 of the 648 OLED, and the OLED that displays the clock and what is recording is still so useful to see, and it so the pinnacle of design. I am someone who really prefers lights and other data on the box so that I can see at a glance what is going on. It really breaks my heart that just about every piece of tech STB today comes with hardly any useful lights to indicate what is going on.
What? No love for the front panel buttons?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
buscuitboy

Yea, I actually seem to like the S3 OLED models better (for the front clock and recordings), but requiring TWO cable cards with Comcast may make the newer TiVo HD the more logical choice at this point.

I'm thinking I may just get this other TiVo HD and then try to $99 lifetime it in the future since I have been eyeing the 4 tuner Premieres lately. Could buy one on the condition that they $99 lifetime my TiVo HD. 3 Premieres would = 3 Series3 lifetimes....