TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #31
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've seen notting's proof that the date is hardcoded, and has been for many years (probably since the beginning). So just to nail the coffin on this thing, I thought I'd grep my copy of an old tivoapp (11.0b) for the string, in case it was there in plain text. They wouldn't do that, right? Yeah, they would:

Code:
Set-Cookie: sid=%s; path=/; expires="Saturday, 16-Feb-2013 00:00:00 GMT";
On the plus side, this means it should be easy to patch on a hacked TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-18-2013 at 12:14 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I've seen notting's proof that the date is hardcoded, and has been for many years (probably since the beginning). So just to nail the coffin on this thing, I thought I'd grep my copy of an old tivoapp (11.0b) for the string, in case it was there in plain text. They wouldn't do that, right? Yeah, they would:

Code:
So they really did subcontract out to Mayan programmers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #33
JZ1276

I've been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 hrs now, lucky I came across this thread. So, basically, every time I want to transfer and file I have to set the date back to the 13th from now on??
JZ1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I've been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 hrs now, lucky I came across this thread. So, basically, every time I want to transfer and file I have to set the date back to the 13th from now on??
Nope.

Thanks to morac all you have to do is add a line of text to your curl.conf file

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9527463

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
degobahjunk

Whar happens if you don't have a curl.conf file?

I think I deleted it yesterday when I was trying to fix this ridiculous problem....

Even after a reinstall I don't seem to have one. Can I create one or download one?

Thanks, JW
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #36
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Nope.

Thanks to morac all you have to do is add a line of text to your curl.conf file

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9527463
Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #37
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post

I think I deleted it yesterday when I was trying to fix this ridiculous problem....

Even after a reinstall I don't seem to have one. Can I create one or download one?

Thanks, JW
Why not just download the one Unitron was nice enough to post in the link he provided?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Why not just download the one Unitron was nice enough to post in the link he provided?
That was morac's work, not mine. I just linked to what he provided, which was pretty much the extent of my abilities where fixing this problem was concerned.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #39
unitron

Quote:

Thanks, JW
You may be looking for it in the wrong place.

Desktop install in Program Files, but also sticks some stuff, including curl.conf, in the user profile section.

That morac post I link to shows how to find it for XP and Vista and up.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #40
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Thanks, JW
If you are sure you are looking in the right place and can't find it, just create one. If it doesn't fix the problem, it means you didn't put it in the correct folder.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
mrmega

I applied morac's simple curl.conf fix yesterday (which needed reboot on XP) and it has worked flawlessly (with the correct date/time) on a S2, S3 HD and a S4 HD using Tivo Desktop on a Windows XP machine.

To borrow from unitron, "All hail notting and morac!"

mrmega
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
twiddly

Brilliant !!!!

I don't know why it works, but it works!
twiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #43
degobahjunk

2.5.1 never had a curl.conf file. So just adding one to the TiVo Destop folder didn't solve the problem. (And yes, I did have the correct location & folder.) I don't even know what a conf file is, but 2.5.1 apparently didn't rely on one, so that particular fix didn't work.

I gave up & downloaded 2.8.3, added the cookie = "sid=abc" line & I'm back in business. No wonder it seemed like such an easy fix for so many others! My new TiVo Desktop is currently transferring!!

Thanks notting, unitron & especially morac for figuring this all out!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #44
ggieseke

Quote:

Code:
That same line of code is in tivoapp on a Premiere, and goes back at least as far as 7.2.5 on a Series 2.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #45
unitron

Quote:
2.5.1 never had a curl.conf file. So just adding one to the TiVo Destop folder didn't solve the problem. (And yes, I did have the correct location & folder.) I don't even know what a conf file is, but 2.5.1 apparently didn't rely on one, so that particular fix didn't work.

I gave up & downloaded 2.8.3, added the cookie = "sid=abc" line & I'm back in business. No wonder it seemed like such an easy fix for so many others! My new TiVo Desktop is currently transferring!!

notting and morac figured it out, I just noticed that they figured it out and happened to mention it here and there.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #46
unitron

Quote:

Did 2.5.1 have curl.exe somewhere in the TiVo Desktop folder in Program Files?

Maybe they wrapped it inside another executable that included hard coded config parameters, and decided on later versions to leave the config file out separate where it could be tweaked if necessary.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #47
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Glad to know Tivo is so on the ball about this. Kind of reminds me of Amazon Prime. Oh wait, we're not allowed to talk about that any more.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
kumaaz99

Quote:
In another post* notting came up with the reason TiVo to PC transfers are failing, no matter which software you're using, Desktop or otherwise.
The TiVos are handing out expired session id cookies.
I reset a PC to think it's only the 13th, and now I've got a transfer going successfully and about as quickly as I've ever seen one happen.
*http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post9526322
=========================
notting is a genius..thanks. after days of researching & messing with this issue, resetting the clock solves the problem right away. I guess it would be too much to expect to have the geniuses at TIVO come up with this or solve the problem.
kumaaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #49
degobahjunk

Quote:
Did 2.5.1 have curl.exe somewhere in the TiVo Desktop folder in Program Files?

Maybe they wrapped it inside another executable that included hard coded config parameters, and decided on later versions to leave the config file out separate where it could be tweaked if necessary.
Don't think so. I did a search for "curl" (even in "hidden" system files & folders) & didn't come up with one.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
SSL is only used to grab the show listings. The actual transfer is not encrypted. I don't think TD uses curl to grab the listing data as such it will probably fail without any way of fixing it. The SSL certificate isn't technically valid since it has no CA so 3rd-party software already likely ignores it.
I wonder why TiVo bothered with using SSL connection for the show listings then if TiVo transfer the contents in the clear.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #51
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I wonder why TiVo bothered with using SSL connection for the show listings then if TiVo transfer the contents in the clear.
Another good question. Of course I can only speculate. I think in this case the right question might be "why aren't the contents SSL'd?", and I think the answer might be "too much overhead". The metadata is very small by comparison.

To attempt to compensate for the lack of SSL, I guess, the TiVo demands a session key in order to transfer the content, thus proving that you successfully made an SSL'd connection earlier to get that key. But this is broken in at least two ways: the fixed (now past) expiration date, and a failure to even check the value of the session key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #52
moyekj

Too bad TiVo seemed to have cleared up their programming act a little when implementing MRS as when I looked at it anyway it seemed pretty hard to crack. Now I'm starting to think that maybe there's some shortcomings that can be exploited there too...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #53
reggers
Cool Geek

That fixed my problem as well. You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent installing different versions of TiVo Desktop, Bonjour, mucking around with my router settings, restarting computers and both TiVo Units.....HOURS!!!!

Now how long for TiVo to fix the problem!?!!? What's the best way to escalate this to them as without a fix, the TiVo Desktop Software is basically useless.
1 TiVo Series 2 - 40Hr
1 (Original) Sony Series 1 - 30Hr (still in operation)
1 (Original) Philips Series 1 - 100Hr (still in operation!)
reggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
msmart

reggers, the work around is the fix. No need to wait for TiVo.

To me, the curl.conf work around resolves the problem so regardless of what TiVo does, I'm not installing it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #55
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggers View Post
That fixed my problem as well. You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent installing different versions of TiVo Desktop, Bonjour, mucking around with my router settings, restarting computers and both TiVo Units.....HOURS!!!!

Now how long for TiVo to fix the problem!?!!? What's the best way to escalate this to them as without a fix, the TiVo Desktop Software is basically useless.
I'm not sure why you are so hyper. If you are running the latest version of TD and have made the change to the curl.conf file, TD is no longer "useless". This option isn't available to me as I am running Win2K, which is why I am glad I switched to pyTivo and kmttg a while back.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #56
reggers
Cool Geek

A bit hyper because I'd rather it be fixed the right way rather than me screwing around with config files every time there's an issue.

Also - I'm a bit frustrated as this problem occurred at the same time I was upgrading my network (removing some old routers/switches) and also installing some new external storage. I had my main machine down for about 2 days and when I brought everything back up, this is the one thing that wouldn't work and I beat my head against the wall for 4 days trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

Obviously not checking here first is what I did wrong.

As soon as my current transfers/conversions are done, I'll implement the curl.conf change.
1 TiVo Series 2 - 40Hr
1 (Original) Sony Series 1 - 30Hr (still in operation)
1 (Original) Philips Series 1 - 100Hr (still in operation!)
reggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #57
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggers View Post
A bit hyper because I'd rather it be fixed the right way rather than me screwing around with config files every time there's an issue.

Also - I'm a bit frustrated as this problem occurred at the same time I was upgrading my network (removing some old routers/switches) and also installing some new external storage. I had my main machine down for about 2 days and when I brought everything back up, this is the one thing that wouldn't work and I beat my head against the wall for 4 days trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

Obviously not checking here first is what I did wrong.

As soon as my current transfers/conversions are done, I'll implement the curl.conf change.
I suppose I was a bit lucky(?) in that regard as I was at a friends house from Thursday afternoon to Saturday afternoon and all I knew was that her TiVo did not receive something that should have been auto pushed to it from my system. When I got back and tried the transfer again and got the error, the only other things I tried was transferring a different file and using pyTivo and TD instead of kmttg. Then I checked the TCF and found that using java downloads instead of curl worked.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #58
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm not sure why you are so hyper. If you are running the latest version of TD and have made the change to the curl.conf file, TD is no longer "useless". This option isn't available to me as I am running Win2K, which is why I am glad I switched to pyTivo and kmttg a while back.
I'd be hyper to think about mere mortals now having non-functioning file transfers and no way know how to fix it, with Tivo support saying there's nobody else having that problem.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #59
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I'd be hyper to think about mere mortals now having non-functioning file transfers and no way know how to fix it, with Tivo support saying there's nobody else having that problem.
That would explain why people who don't know how or can't fix it are hyper. I know I would be hyper if I didn't have kmttg and pyTivo since I can't fix TD. It doesn't explain why people who do know how and can easily fix it are still hyper. Still mad at TiVo, absolutely. Hyper, no.

In cases like this, TiVo has become like most other companies - they are loathe to admit that there is a problem on their end even if they know for certain that there is one and the techs are actively working to solve it.

A friend of mine just finished a short stint as a CSR in support of a new s/w launch. She got called on the carpet one time for informing the user that they (the company) were experiencing server problems. Apparently, she was only supposed to say that she would "look into the problem" that the user was having and get back to him.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #60
djl25
C64 hacker

Just for kicks, I loaded a copy of tivoapp into a hex editor and changed the "1" in 2013 to a "2". Copied it back to the (hacked) TiVo, restarted, and now transfers from nowplaying/TivoConnect page are working fine. Guess I bought myself another ten years...

Quote:

Code:

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote