TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #91
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post

Odd, I did not have this file on my XP box. But it was in the 'recycle' bin. Restored it, and added the line. Works for me.

How were you able to determine this work-around?
It was a combination of things. Notting figured out the sid cookie expired. I discovered that the TiVo boxes will except any cookie named sid, not only the correct one. Moyekj added the --cookie "sid=abc" curl command line argument to kmttg. I knew TiVo Desktop uses curl and in the past I've dumped to parameters that TiVo Desktop passes to curl, so I knew it read in the curl.conf file as a configuration file. Once I remembered that, the work around was easy to implement.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #92
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Once I remembered that, the work around was easy to implement.
Only if your eyes glow.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #93
qwerk

I sure hope they fix it soon.. sucks to have to change clock JUST to transfer a program
qwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #94
eskovan

Thumbs up

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop
I'd just like to add that the above fix worked like a charm for me! Thanks.

TiVo Desktop Plus 2.8.2 on Windows 7 Home Premium
TiVo Series 3 HD w/1TB WD ext
eskovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #95
lynnalexandra

I knew that even simple wouldn't be simple for me.

I have Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 - and Windows XP. Just finding notepad took me a while - but I've got it opened. And I downloaded and extracted the curl.conf file from Morac.

But I can't find anything in my Tivo folder. I go to application data/Tivo - but when I click on the Tivo folder, there's a folder that says conversion profiles. But if I double click on that, nothing appears. The properties for this conversion profile folder says 0 bytes. Seems to be an empty folder.

So I could use help finding the actual curl.conf file. And I could use dummy steps for where to back it up and how? I know this seems ridiculously rudimentary - sorry. And I don't understand - if I make a back-up - am I opening the back up in notepad (which I've never used before)? and I"m adding this line to the bottom? If so, how do I get this back up edited file to be the one that goes back into the Tivo app folder?

I am really hoping I can get this done. Especially after reading people having their doubts about whether the S2's and S3's will get fixed.

thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #96
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
I knew that even simple wouldn't be simple for me.

I have Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 - and Windows XP. Just finding notepad took me a while - but I've got it opened. And I downloaded and extracted the curl.conf file from Morac.

But I can't find anything in my Tivo folder. I go to application data/Tivo - but when I click on the Tivo folder, there's a folder that says conversion profiles. But if I double click on that, nothing appears. The properties for this conversion profile folder says 0 bytes. Seems to be an empty folder.

So I could use help finding the actual curl.conf file. And I could use dummy steps for where to back it up and how? I know this seems ridiculously rudimentary - sorry. And I don't understand - if I make a back-up - am I opening the back up in notepad (which I've never used before)? and I"m adding this line to the bottom? If so, how do I get this back up edited file to be the one that goes back into the Tivo app folder?

I am really hoping I can get this done. Especially after reading people having their doubts about whether the S2's and S3's will get fixed.

thanks.
Lynn.
I'm running XP

Here's the path to the folder where curl.conf is for me

C:\Documents and Settings\unitron\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop

but if you don't know how to use the Windows program Explorer (which is not Internet Explorer, but a file manager that debuted in Windows 95 before Microsoft released an Internet browser), then try this--

Click on Start, then on Run, and in the box type

notepad C:\Documents and Settings\unitron\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\curl.conf

only substitute your user name where it says unitron, and then click Okay.

You should get a big white box with

user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose

in it.

If you get a blank box, then your curl.conf must be somewhere else, and you should close that box without typing anything in it, and if it asks if you want to exit without saving, say yes, because otherwise it'll create a new, empty file with that name.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #97
saramj

Quote:
It was a combination of things. Notting figured out the sid cookie expired. I discovered that the TiVo boxes will except any cookie named sid, not only the correct one. Moyekj added the --cookie "sid=abc" curl command line argument to kmttg. I knew TiVo Desktop uses curl and in the past I've dumped to parameters that TiVo Desktop passes to curl, so I knew it read in the curl.conf file as a configuration file. Once I remembered that, the work around was easy to implement.
Why in the world would TiVo place a cookie that expires???? Seems to me there should be something there with no date.
saramj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #98
kellyf

For anyone using kmttg for downloading tivo files, for now just go into File/Configuration/
select the Program Options tab and check the "Use Java for download and tivodecode decrypt" option. This will download your tivo files without having to change your clock or configure anything else.

Works great!

I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.6.8
kellyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #99
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj View Post
Why in the world would TiVo place a cookie that expires???? Seems to me there should be something there with no date.
Good question. It actually makes sense for cookies to have an expiration date, for most of their uses, and certainly for the "sessions" that TiVo seems to have intended here (though they weren't implemented properly). But why a specific, hardwired date, used for all cookies? That makes no sense at all.

I can only attribute it to laziness and ignorance. I imagine a programmer being told to add cookies, and just copying and pasting some example text.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #100
steve614
what ru lookin at?

This is how I found the curl.conf file on my Windows 7 computer:

I clicked on Computer, then Local Disk. In the search box (upper right), I entered curl.

There was only one entry for a curl.conf that had TiVo Desktop listed in the path.

I right clicked that and selected open file location, and there it was.

At first, Windows saw it as an unknown file type, but I was able to open it with Notepad.
From that point, the fix was simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #101
msmart

@Lynn,

unitron gave you good directions. Another way to find the curl.conf file in Windows XP is to enter this into the Start > Run box:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop

When the window opens up, right click on the curl.conf file and choose Edit.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #102
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Good question. It actually makes sense for cookies to have an expiration date, for most of their uses, and certainly for the "sessions" that TiVo seems to have intended here (though they weren't implemented properly). But why a specific, hardwired date, used for all cookies? That makes no sense at all.

I can only attribute it to laziness and ignorance. I imagine a programmer being told to add cookies, and just copying and pasting some example text.
And we all know that kind of error never happens with "professional" programmers, especially when we all know their bosses always give them reasonable deadlines and ample resources to get the job done perfectly. Just sayin' attributing it only to "laziness and ignorance" is a tad harsh.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #103
malayphred
Underpowered User

I am running Windows 8 and can't make this work.

Can anyone explain this to me like I'm 12?
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #104
howards

The official latest response from Tivo is that the curl.conf fix is a "power user level" fix, and their recommendation is to change the clock.

I lodged my protest.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #105
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
The official latest response from Tivo is that the curl.conf fix is a "power user level" fix, and their recommendation is to change the clock.
I am genuinely disgusted.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #106
lynnalexandra

Unitron - thank you. Those were just the kind of details I needed.

I do know how to use explorer but when I navigated to the Tivo folder on my pc and clicked it, it seemed empty. When I navigated to it on my laptop, I find the curl file, but right clicking did not give an option to open with notepad or edit. I didn't really understand notepad and couldn't seem to get the curl file to open in notepad.

Your instructions to type start, run and then enter
notepad C:\Documents and Settings\Lynn\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\curl.conf worked. On my computers, it opened the curl file in notepad. I could see the contents matched what you indicated. I added the line to the bottom:
cookie "sid=abc"

I clicked save, then exit. And my Tivo program started retransferring the programs it failed to transfer on saturday. I did not have to restart Tivo desktop.

Thanks also to Morac and Notting for your generosity and wisdom.

Lynn.

Last edited by lynnalexandra : 02-20-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: to get email notification
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #107
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

I lodged my protest.

LOL. I wouldn't recommend a TiVo to anyone who wasn't a power user. I'd hate to be at the mercy of TiVo and TWC support to keep mine working at least. Are there actually Tivo users who just buy it, plug it in, and get it working for years without becoming power users -- or having one to help them? Editing curl.conf is the simplest fix I've done relative to my TiVo experience.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #108
dpw
dpw

Worked like a charm!!!

Thanks to morac for this quick fix. So glad that dedicated and passionate tivo users contribute to this forum. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #109
Joe Siegler

Quote:

I lodged my protest.

wow. That's amazingly stupid.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #110
judyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
LOL. I wouldn't recommend a TiVo to anyone who wasn't a power user. I'd hate to be at the mercy of TiVo and TWC support to keep mine working at least. Are there actually Tivo users who just buy it, plug it in, and get it working for years without becoming power users -- or having one to help them?
I think many people use it just like the brain dead DVRs that come with cable or satellite service. They seem to have no interest in watching what they want to watch when they want to watch it and where they want to watch it.

However, up to this point, Tivo Desktop worked without fiddling. The only issue I remember needing advice for was when the Tivo hangs thinking it has something in its transfer queue. Who would think you have to leave it off for a very long period of time before it forgets. Some say 2 hours but I know it doesn't need to be that long.

pytivo is another story. My initial install years ago was awkward. Now it is easier but it didnt' seem to come with a pytivo.cmd so I had to copy that from the old install and update it to the new location (Windows 7, not in Program Files this time, even tho I had no problem with it in Program Files).

We are very lucky that some people like to help other people! I don't know how I would have been able to keep some of my modern toys working without such forums. In other cases you can just save a lot of time by asking a simple question.
judyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #111
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post

Bump
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #112
gamoses

thank you all for this thread! :-)
gamoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #113
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post

Never mind.

Somehow I got it figured out.

Please don't ask me how
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #114
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Let me guess...

You rebooted the computer?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #115
rickertc

Thanks so much for the fix! I updated the curl.conf file like you described and my downloads are now working! YEAH. Too bad Tivo didn't come up with this fix in the last few days.
rickertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #116
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Let me guess...

You rebooted the computer?
Yeh, I guess the 52'nd time was a charm lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #117
greg10

Quote:
Sudden file transfer failures kmttg/tivo desktop

I have had file transfers working fine for a very long time in both kmttg and Tivo Desktop. Today they suddenly stopped working. I can see the Tivos and get the Now Playing Lists, but when I start a transfer it aborts with an error. Tivo Desktop log says "error 4" but I can't find anywhere what that means.

File transfers started failing on 3 Tivos simultaneously.

I tried a whole bunch of things. Stumbled across one thing that worked. Changed kmttg to use Java instead of Curl. Tivo Desktop still does not work.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. If not, at least I'm documenting a partial fix for this problem
Same here, exact same symptoms.
greg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #118
Cdclark

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop
Perfect, Thanks!
Cdclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #119
TomJ

Another BIG THANKS to morac!

Regards,
Tom
("Look Ma, I'm a power user!")
TomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #120
howards

Anybody who can coordinate with their cable company and get a CableCard working with a Premiere and get wireless networking working right (and securely) is a power user. :-)
howards is offline   Reply With Quote