TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #961
P42

Discontinued? Wow that was quick!

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #962
Bigg

The bandwidth used for 24/7 live TV wouldn't be an issue for cable users who are only using MoCA for TiVos. HOWEVER, for FIOS users, for cable users who have built a MoCA backbone, this could be a serious issue. Realistically, even in a well-wired home, MoCA has about 75mbps of bandwidth. FIOS TV channels, since they are not re-compressed like cable, use upwards of the full 19mbps of bandwidth.

So, you do a couple of TiVo Mini streams, and you're already eating way into the 75mbps bandwidth available on FIOS internet, especially if you're using MoCA to get the FIOS signal into the house. If you have a pair of Premieres each with three TiVo Minis, and a whole backbone built out of MoCA, you could be in for some serious bandwidth issues already. Yes, that's an extreme case, but my point is, unlike GigE, MoCA doesn't just have effectively unlimited bandwidth, and while it's reliable and fast, you can fairly easily run out.

More tech-saavy users would run CAT-5 from the ONT to the router, or they would throw a band-pass filter in between two segments of the MoCA network to isolate them and then cross them back over through Ethernet, but not everyone would know to do that, or have the right wiring configuration to be able to do that.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #963
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The bandwidth used for 24/7 live TV wouldn't be an issue for cable users who are only using MoCA for TiVos. HOWEVER, for FIOS users, for cable users who have built a MoCA backbone, this could be a serious issue. Realistically, even in a well-wired home, MoCA has about 75mbps of bandwidth. FIOS TV channels, since they are not re-compressed like cable, use upwards of the full 19mbps of bandwidth.

So, you do a couple of TiVo Mini streams, and you're already eating way into the 75mbps bandwidth available on FIOS internet, especially if you're using MoCA to get the FIOS signal into the house. If you have a pair of Premieres each with three TiVo Minis, and a whole backbone built out of MoCA, you could be in for some serious bandwidth issues already. Yes, that's an extreme case, but my point is, unlike GigE, MoCA doesn't just have effectively unlimited bandwidth, and while it's reliable and fast, you can fairly easily run out.

More tech-saavy users would run CAT-5 from the ONT to the router, or they would throw a band-pass filter in between two segments of the MoCA network to isolate them and then cross them back over through Ethernet, but not everyone would know to do that, or have the right wiring configuration to be able to do that.
My MOCA speeds are about 240Mbps up and down. I have 3 Tivos on Moca and 2 computers on Moca and have no speed issues with all of them pulling data... and also TV runs on a different frequency that Moca both with verizon and most companies.

My TV here runs at about 860mhz and my Moca Network Operates just above 1Gig.

Last edited by compnurd : 02-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #964
spotterman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Spotterman,

Can you confirm that the Mini is using Infrared rather than an RF remote. To test this you can put your hand over the front of the Mini remote to see if it still works.
Hand over the front of the Mini, it still recognizes remote commands.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #965
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Maybe the Best Buy TVs are or were meant to be that. What ever happened to them, and what was their purpose?
When I was in japan last, they had tons of TVs with 1tb hard drives in them
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #966
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
When I was in japan last, they had tons of TVs with 1tb hard drives in them
In Japan, toilets have hard drives in them.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #967
spotterman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
spotterman26 - what happens if you setup the Q to only allocate one tuner for network devices? Perhaps that's where the 1.5 hour time out comes into play? Maybe after 1.5 hours it relinquishes the tuner so the other one can use it? If that's the case I wonder if simply going into the menus by pressing TiVo would relinquish it immediately. (if it has the little preview window you might need to press Slow to turn it off, or turn it off permanently in settings)
Just got around to trying this. I set the Q to "Allow 1 tuner" and checked both Minis first. They were both connected. I put one in standby, and selected Live TV on the other. Live tv worked, just fine, so I went to the other mini and hit live tv and got this message:

The Mini that shows this message can access my Q, but not access Live TV. The other Mini gets Live TV and can access my Q also. And now my Q has it's 3rd tuner back.

Here is the standby option on the menu:

Here is the standby image, this goes away after a few seconds:

And the front of the Mini when in standby mode:

Last edited by spotterman26 : 02-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
spotterman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #968
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterman26 View Post
Just got around to trying this. I set the Q to "Allow 1 tuner" and checked both Minis first. They were both connected. I put one in standby, and selected Live TV on the other. Live tv worked, just fine, so I went to the other mini and hit live tv and got this message:

The Mini that shows this message can access my Q, but not access Live TV. The other Mini gets Live TV and can access my Q also. And now my Q has it's 3rd tuner back.

Here is the standby option on the menu:

Here is the standby image, this goes away after a few seconds:

And the front of the Mini when in standby mode:
Not bad... I could easily live with this solution.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #969
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
My MOCA speeds are about 240Mbps up and down. I have 3 Tivos on Moca and 2 computers on Moca and have no speed issues with all of them pulling data... and also TV runs on a different frequency that Moca both with verizon and most companies.

My TV here runs at about 860mhz and my Moca Network Operates just above 1Gig.
Right, most cable operators stop at 860, including Comcast and Verizon FIOS, and MoCA will work with plants up to 1ghz. I never said anything that would suggest MoCA and cable interfere with each other. That's the whole point of MoCA, is that it doesn't, so you can lay MoCA on top of an existing cable system.

Iinteresting. They slipped out a new version of MoCA that is much faster. I can't find any reviews of it or good tests. How has anyone determined that they can do 240mbps, with the MoCA adapters themselves maxing out with Base-100TX? Were they crossing multiple traffic paths on a single coax system? I did see the Amazon reviewers were cable to saturate the Base-100TX, which is a good sign. With all that, Verizon FIOS users should have no issue with 75mbps of bandwidth coming in, and a few HD video streams flying around the house.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #970
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

OK, sooooooo now this is just getting absolutely ridiculous.

Why are they not selling this thing for retail yet?

What's the excuse now? Delayed again until summer 2013?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #971
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
OK, sooooooo now this is just getting absolutely ridiculous.

Why are they not selling this thing for retail yet?

What's the excuse now? Delayed again until summer 2013?
They probably want to gauge Suddenlink problems before opening the floodgates. We're hopefully weeks away...
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #972
DigitalDawn

Definitely in March. I recently received a notice for a TiVo retail training session. Mine is set for Tuesday.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #973
compnurd

Quote:
Right, most cable operators stop at 860, including Comcast and Verizon FIOS, and MoCA will work with plants up to 1ghz. I never said anything that would suggest MoCA and cable interfere with each other. That's the whole point of MoCA, is that it doesn't, so you can lay MoCA on top of an existing cable system.

Iinteresting. They slipped out a new version of MoCA that is much faster. I can't find any reviews of it or good tests. How has anyone determined that they can do 240mbps, with the MoCA adapters themselves maxing out with Base-100TX? Were they crossing multiple traffic paths on a single coax system? I did see the Amazon reviewers were cable to saturate the Base-100TX, which is a good sign. With all that, Verizon FIOS users should have no issue with 75mbps of bandwidth coming in, and a few HD video streams flying around the house.
The newer Verizon routers for over the last year have a Gig Switch built in....

Even Still your bandwidth is point to point/router, not saturated by everything else.

Last edited by compnurd : 02-21-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #974
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Even with Verizon MoCA you can get speeds faster than 75Mb/s. When you have two or three or four MoCA devices in the Network, the maximum speeds are actually faster than with only one MoCA device. But most of the MoCA adapters only have 100BT connections so the backbone bandwidth will exceed 100Mb/s but the actual connection to the device will not exceed it. I had a couple of Dlink MoCA adapters along with the FiOS MoCA in use for a short while when I was messing around with MoCA on my Elites. The backbone bandwidth easily exceeded 100Mb/s. But it did not exceed it to the point that I would get speeds from all those devices on MoCA that I would match the speeds I got with a GigE Backbone(when the devices were transferring concurrently). So I took those devices off MoCA and went back to Ethernet connections for those devices.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 02-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #975
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Not bad... I could easily live with this solution.

Hmmm.... agreed. This is a half-way point between truly dynamic tuner allocation and permanent tuner allocation.

Now lets release this puppy to the general public.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #976
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Hmmm.... agreed. This is a half-way point between truly dynamic tuner allocation and permanent tuner allocation.

Now lets release this puppy to the general public.
Nobody can half-bake something quite like TiVo!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #977
BigJimOutlaw

Megazone's original reporting mentioned that Minis would share from a pool of tuners, so it's not surprising. Knowing this, I had thought we wouldn't be limited to 2 Minis, but I guess we still will be anyway. At least for now (XL6).
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #978
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Nobody can half-bake something quite like TiVo!
Exactly, like not supporting us lowly two-tuner DVR owners...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #979
lew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Well that's F-ed up... I think. They ran my photo, my hand, and my wedding ring.
You ought to contact their General Counsel with and inquire how they intend to compensate you for Copyright Violation.

They wouldn't be happy if someone stole cable service from them, so it's hypocritical that they'll steal your intellectual property and likeness with no compunction.
lew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #980
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew2 View Post
You ought to contact their General Counsel with and inquire how they intend to compensate you for Copyright Violation.

They wouldn't be happy if someone stole cable service from them, so it's hypocritical that they'll steal your intellectual property and likeness with no compunction.
This is the same awful cable company that shuts your Internet off for torrenting tv programs. I hate them. But I love TiVo. Common mini!!!
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #981
Bigg

Quote:
The newer Verizon routers for over the last year have a Gig Switch built in....

Even Still your bandwidth is point to point/router, not saturated by everything else.
But where would you offload that? Or saturate two and a half endpoint adapters with a gig source hardwired to the router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even with Verizon MoCA you can get speeds faster than 75Mb/s. When you have two or three or four MoCA devices in the Network, the maximum speeds are actually faster than with only one MoCA device. But most of the MoCA adapters only have 100BT connections so the backbone bandwidth will exceed 100Mb/s but the actual connection to the device will not exceed it. I had a couple of Dlink MoCA adapters along with the FiOS MoCA in use for a short while when I was messing around with MoCA on my Elites. The backbone bandwidth easily exceeded 100Mb/s. But it did not exceed it to the point that I would get speeds from all those devices on MoCA that I would match the speeds I got with a GigE Backbone(when the devices were transferring concurrently). So I took those devices off MoCA and went back to Ethernet connections for those devices.
Yeah, the backbone ends up serving a similar function to the backplane on an Ethernet switch in that case... 240mbps gives it a lot of breathing room even with a bunch of devices flinging HD video around plus internet...

We're coming a long way in getting networking for people who don't have CAT-5 run everywhere up to the level that hard wired CAT-5 would give. Of course 240mbps on a backbone is a long way off from 1gbps to any port, BUT for most residential users, it is more than enough.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #982
compnurd

Quote:
But where would you offload that? Or saturate two and a half endpoint adapters with a gig source hardwired to the router?

Yeah, the backbone ends up serving a similar function to the backplane on an Ethernet switch in that case... 240mbps gives it a lot of breathing room even with a bunch of devices flinging HD video around plus internet...

We're coming a long way in getting networking for people who don't have CAT-5 run everywhere up to the level that hard wired CAT-5 would give. Of course 240mbps on a backbone is a long way off from 1gbps to any port, BUT for most residential users, it is more than enough.
Dont forget, with the exception of the 4 and the XL4, the rest of the line up only had a 100Mbit ethernet port.... so no matter what you are limited to that....
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #983
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew2 View Post
I sent them (and CED Magazine) a polite note and they appropriately added a photo credit. You'd be surprised how often this happens. (Or maybe not.) Google's got a decent DMCA tool which you can use to request a de-indexing the offending page, which I've been forced to employ on several occasions (normally in relation to posts reproduced in their entirety) - but this is a better scenario and outcome, as it's win/win. They learn something about grabbing content without attribution and retain a decent, representative pic, and I get a little link love. Symbiotic is best.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #984
Bigg

Quote:
Dont forget, with the exception of the 4 and the XL4, the rest of the line up only had a 100Mbit ethernet port.... so no matter what you are limited to that....
I was thinking more in general than just for TiVo. Some people are using MoCA as a backbone for their whole network...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #985
jmpage2

Quote:
I was thinking more in general than just for TiVo. Some people are using MoCA as a backbone for their whole network...
I suppose that for someone who did not want to spend the money to back-haul CAT5e that might be true.... CAT5e and gigabit switches are cheap though, and UTP cable is pretty easy to run to most locations.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #986
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'm using MoCA for a main link within my house, because running cat5 is impossible. I suppose ethernet would be faster, but this is an upgrade from the Wi-Fi repeaters we had in place beforehand. It also allowed me to remove at least 10 devices from Wi-Fi, which improved wireless for the laptops and phones that still rely on it.

I only run 100Mb ethernet anyway, so there's no loss there.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #987
Ckought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I suppose that for someone who did not want to spend the money to back-haul CAT5e that might be true.... CAT5e and gigabit switches are cheap though, and UTP cable is pretty easy to run to most locations.

Not if you rent. You have to live with the wiring you have available.

Premiere 4 2TB
Premiere 4 2TB
TiVo Mini
TiVo Mini
TiVo Stream
TiVo HD 2TB
TiVo HD 2TB
(this is getting out of control)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ckought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #988
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckought View Post
Not if you rent. You have to live with the wiring you have available.
exactly. i am renting a condo right now while my house is built so MOCA is my only option and has caused no slow downs
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #989
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterman26 View Post
Just got around to trying this.
Do you have a power measuring device? I'm curious what electricity the Mini consumes on standby and during active use. If it is less than a Premiere or HD then adopters can see additional savings on the electric bill.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #990
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Do you have a power measuring device? I'm curious what electricity the Mini consumes on standby and during active use. If it is less than a Premiere or HD then adopters can see additional savings on the electric bill.
I may have a Kill-A-Watt somewhere if spotterman wants to try. Can't recall if I already gave it away though. Will check tonight if need be.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote