TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
howards

Tivo N adapter as generic N receiver

Is there a reason the Tivo N wireless adapter is setup so that I can't use it as a generic wireless receiver by plugging it into a switch? Tried it and the N adapter never connects unless it's plugged directly into the Tivo.

The reason I'd like to use it this way is that my Premiere sits right next to a Series 2, and if I could use a switch then I could run the Series 2 at N speeds.

Yes, I know, I can buy a different Wireless N unit and plug it into a switch, but I already own the Tivo unit.

Last edited by howards : 02-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You would not get any faster speed with N wireless and its not compatible with the Series 2. Also, its a wireless network bridge.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would not get any faster speed with N wireless and its not compatible with the Series 2. Also, its a wireless network bridge.
Of course I would get faster speed. The wireless link would run at N speeds instead of G speeds.

And I know N wireless is not compatible with Series 2. I was looking to use a USB ethernet adapter from the Series 2 to a switch connected to the network bridge.

I could easily accomplish this if I wanted to spend more money on non-Tivo products. But the question I asked was why the Tivo network bridge won't work when plugged into a switch instead of directly to the Tivo. I could plug any number of 3rd part network bridges into a switch.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Keeping it simpler the DLink DAP-1522/1533 bridges provide wireless N pick your band (2.4/5ghz) and a 4 port gigabit switch. Sell the TiVo N adapter...
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

You are missing part of the point. The series 2 networking is s-l-o-w, and connecting it to a faster network will not have the huge impact you think it will.

The tivo N bridge is only made to work with Tivo, they did not program/test it to work with other setups as it only had one purpose. It was made for those who DON'T know about network bridges.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Keeping it simpler the DLink DAP-1522/1533 bridges provide wireless N pick your band (2.4/5ghz) and a 4 port gigabit switch. Sell the TiVo N adapter...
Yes, if I wanted to buy new equipment there are lots of choices.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You are missing part of the point. The series 2 networking is s-l-o-w, and connecting it to a faster network will not have the huge impact you think it will.

The tivo N bridge is only made to work with Tivo, they did not program/test it to work with other setups as it only had one purpose. It was made for those who DON'T know about network bridges.
1) By your rationale, a Series 2 wouldn't be any faster hooked up to a hardwired ethernet link either. That's hard to believe, but if you can point me to throughput statistics somewhere...

2) It's more than that. Tivo actively did something to prevent using their network bridge plugged into a switch. (I know because I tried it, and it doesn't work unless plugged directly into the Tivo.) It's not a question of it being an untested configuration - it's a deliberately hamstrung configuration.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
Is there a reason the Tivo N wireless adapter is setup so that I can't use it as a generic wireless receiver by plugging it into a switch? Tried it and the N adapter never connects unless it's plugged directly into the Tivo.

The reason I'd like to use it this way is that my Premiere sits right next to a Series 2, and if I could use a switch then I could run the Series 2 at N speeds.

Yes, I know, I can buy a different Wireless N unit and plug it into a switch, but I already own the Tivo unit.
Do you already own a switch?

Connect the S4's RJ-45 to one on the switch, and the N adapter's Ethernet cable/jack/whatever to the switch.

See if the S4 can see the adapter.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Quote:
1) By your rationale, a Series 2 wouldn't be any faster hooked up to a hardwired ethernet link either. That's hard to believe, but if you can point me to throughput statistics somewhere...
That is not what I said at all. I said it would not have a huge impact. It could be faster, depending upon a bunch of factors including interference with wireless signals, but it may not have much difference at all. Don't expect miracles is all I'm saying.

Hardwired is always better, and I have made the conversion several times. Certainly transfer speeds increased, but the main reason I moved is the connectivity for netflix.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
2) It's more than that. Tivo actively did something to prevent using their network bridge plugged into a switch. (I know because I tried it, and it doesn't work unless plugged directly into the Tivo.) It's not a question of it being an untested configuration - it's a deliberately hamstrung configuration.
So? If it were meant to be universal, it would have needed to go through additional testing. Limiting functionality is unsurprising. Did the specs mention it could function as you are attempting?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you already own a switch?

Connect the S4's RJ-45 to one on the switch, and the N adapter's Ethernet cable/jack/whatever to the switch.

See if the S4 can see the adapter.
I already said I tried that, and it doesn't work. That's what prompted this thread. The N adapter is somehow crippled so that it doesn't work unless connected directly to the Tivo.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I already said I tried that, and it doesn't work. That's what prompted this thread. The N adapter is somehow crippled so that it doesn't work unless connected directly to the Tivo.
That's not being crippled, that's being designed for a specific purpose, to work with the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
MacPrince
School IT Monkey

I have a TiVo 11n adapter plugged into a desktop computer to connect it to our home Wi-Fi. I had one to spare and it works perfectly well.