TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #871
mattack

There's no such thing as too much TV.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #872
aaronwt
HD Addict

At some point though stuff gets deleted. I have many terabytes of HD content that I've recorded since Summer 2001. I did recently delete around 4TB of that content from one of my unRAID servers since I had not watched it in a long time and most of it is available now from BD or from a streaming service in HD.

Although I still have more terabytes of HDTV content left than I deleted. But at least I'm making progress. I'm sure I'll delete more soon since I'm keeping getting close to the storage limit of 99TB I have between my WHS and my two unRAID servers.(unless I buy more hard drives and external eSata boxes to add to my second unRAID) And most of the content Ive been putting on them the last few years has been BD content instead of broadcast recordings.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #873
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Sure, you could probably watch them online for free, but who wants to watch TV on a computer screen
A google tv device like the logitech revue allows you to watch free online video on your TV.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #874
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you have the resources, why not?
I think it would cause your hard drive to fail sooner than if you only recorded what you can watch.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #875
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I think it would cause your hard drive to fail sooner than if you only recorded what you can watch.
You're joking right?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #876
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At some point though stuff gets deleted. I have many terabytes of HD content that I've recorded since Summer 2001. I did recently delete around 4TB of that content from one of my unRAID servers since I had not watched it in a long time and most of it is available now from BD or from a streaming service in HD.

Although I still have more terabytes of HDTV content left than I deleted. But at least I'm making progress. I'm sure I'll delete more soon since I'm keeping getting close to the storage limit of 99TB I have between my WHS and my two unRAID servers.(unless I buy more hard drives and external eSata boxes to add to my second unRAID) And most of the content Ive been putting on them the last few years has been BD content instead of broadcast recordings.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
HOLY ****. 99TB? It's not even possible to watch that much!!! And, while I'm commenting, I have to ask what stopped you from crossing the 100TB mark just to say that you did it?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #877
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, so that's almost .001 times as much as Data's (from Star Trek Next Generation) brain. (which supposedly holds 100,000 TB of memory).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #878
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
HOLY ****. 99TB? It's not even possible to watch that much!!! And, while I'm commenting, I have to ask what stopped you from crossing the 100TB mark just to say that you did it?
I have some more hard drives lying around that I could use, but I would need to buy more 4-bay, eSATA, eclosures that are port multiplier capable. So instead of spending more money for enclosures(I'm already using twelve enclosures with my WHS and unRAID), at some point I'll end up taking enclosures from my WHS and adding them to my second unRAID setup. Since the WHS with duplication only gives you 4TB of storage from 8TB of space(I use four, 2TB drives in each enclosure). But if I move them to my unRAID, I would have all 8TB in each enclosure available to use for storage.

Although another option would be to take the 4 bay enclosure I use with my TiVo Desktop server and use that with my unRAID instead. But then I wouldn't have dedicated local storage for TiVo Desktop.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #879
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Although I still have more terabytes of HDTV content left than I deleted, at least I'm making progress. I'm sure I'll delete more soon...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg today on dr phil show - Google Search.jpg (20.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #880
timckelley
TCFer

I'm starting to have a new problem with my own TiVo. Over the course of many years, I've been gaining about 1 pound per year, but over the years that can add up.

One thing that contributes to it is that most nights, after my son goes to sleep, I'll watch TV while eating popcorn. Well one week ago today, I was walking to the Grocery store to buy more popcorn, and as I passed by the library, I could see my reflection in the glass wall, and I didn't like how big my stomach looked. So I turned right around and aborted the trip and told myself I would no longer eat anything after dinner.

Even though I may feel a little hungry, I tell myself that soon I'll be asleep anyhow, wake up, and it'll be breakfast time. It's been working, and I'm already losing weight, but a side effect is that I seem to have lost the desire to watch TV. I've watched no TV at all since one week ago. Undoubtedly my TiVo is probably backing up. I really don't have many SPs, so it shouldn't take long to catch up if I so choose. I just need to decide how interested I still am in those SPs. I'm into the shows, so I'd like to see how they continue to develop, but nighttime has always been when I have time to watch TV. I think even when this thread started, about 10 years ago, I said as much.

Oh a great side effect though is that all my nighttime heartburn has vanished. I feel like I could live long term with this new eating strategy; I just hope that three months down the road I don't fall to temptation, but really I think I have a decent chance of sticking to this. I really don't think it's that big a sacrifice. (Even though popcorn is my most favorite food that exists on this planet - well when I go to the cinema, which only happens a few times a year, I bet I'll supremely appreciate the popcorn there.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #881
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think that discussion belongs in a separate thread

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #882
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
I'm starting to have a new problem with my own TiVo. Over the course of many years, I've been gaining about 1 pound per year, but over the years that can add up.

One thing that contributes to it is that most nights, after my son goes to sleep, I'll watch TV while eating popcorn. Well one week ago today, I was walking to the Grocery store to buy more popcorn, and as I passed by the library, I could see my reflection in the glass wall, and I didn't like how big my stomach looked. So I turned right around and aborted the trip and told myself I would no longer eat anything after dinner.

Even though I may feel a little hungry, I tell myself that soon I'll be asleep anyhow, wake up, and it'll be breakfast time. It's been working, and I'm already losing weight, but a side effect is that I seem to have lost the desire to watch TV. I've watched no TV at all since one week ago. Undoubtedly my TiVo is probably backing up. I really don't have many SPs, so it shouldn't take long to catch up if I so choose. I just need to decide how interested I still am in those SPs. I'm into the shows, so I'd like to see how they continue to develop, but nighttime has always been when I have time to watch TV. I think even when this thread started, about 10 years ago, I said as much.

Oh a great side effect though is that all my nighttime heartburn has vanished. I feel like I could live long term with this new eating strategy; I just hope that three months down the road I don't fall to temptation, but really I think I have a decent chance of sticking to this. I really don't think it's that big a sacrifice. (Even though popcorn is my most favorite food that exists on this planet - well when I go to the cinema, which only happens a few times a year, I bet I'll supremely appreciate the popcorn there.)
Or you could eat less for dinner and then eat popcorn!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #883
lrhorer

Quote:
HOLY ****. 99TB? It's not even possible to watch that much!!!
Oh, sure it is. Right now I only have about 2000 videos, some of them only 22 minutes long, and it fills up 13T. If most of the files were not h.264, that number would be closer to 18T. I've watched almost every video on the system at least once, and some of them many times. A 99T array is only about 5 times that size - perhaps 10,000 or so videos. Watching one movie and one series episode a day on average would run through 10,000 videos in only 14 years or so, and many people watch considerably more than one series episode and one movie a day on average.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #884
Bigg

An entire movie a day is a LOT of media consumption, but you need enough media stored for 14 years?!?!? There's always going to be new media to acquire!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #885
mattack

an entire movie/day is a lot of media consumption? Even using a long estimate, that's 2 hrs/day. The average TV usage is MANY more hours than that a day of TV.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #886
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
an entire movie/day is a lot of media consumption? Even using a long estimate, that's 2 hrs/day. The average TV usage is MANY more hours than that a day of TV.
I might average an hour a day of actually sitting down and watching TV. Probably less. And even that seems like quite a bit.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #887
mattack

You're on the very low end of the Bell curve.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #888
Bigg

Quote:
I can think of a lot of people who have the TV on a lot like I sometimes do, but not many people who actually sit down in front of the TV that much...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #889
WizarDru

Quote:
I can think of a lot of people who have the TV on a lot like I sometimes do, but not many people who actually sit down in front of the TV that much...
I'm sure you do, but that really is on the far end of TV viewing.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1162285

Even with the continuing decline of TV viewership, people still watch a LOT of TV every week.

WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #890
unitron

Quote:
I thought the Bell curve measured telephone usage.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #891
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post
I'm sure you do, but that really is on the far end of TV viewing.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1162285

Even with the continuing decline of TV viewership, people still watch a LOT of TV every week.

Is that counting when the TV is on, or when people are actually actively WATCHING it? If you count TV on, that would triple or more my count. And the line really starts to blur when you're downloading or streaming cable TV content on a computer, which for me is almost all secondary usage, like while folding laundry.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #892
lrhorer

Quote:
An entire movie a day is a LOT of media consumption, but you need enough media stored for 14 years?!?!?
It's not the amount of media, it is the variety. Hypothetically, if one watches 8 hours of video a week, one could get by with only 8 hours worth of media for the week, but it would not allow for anything reasonable in terms of a selection from which to choose. Indeed, even with nearly 2000 videos, when my brothers, sister-in-law, and sister are visiting, it can be difficult to find even one that everyone likes and wants to watch.

Quote:
There's always going to be new media to acquire!
Not so much, really. Most of the stuff coming out is crap. The peak year in my collection was 1984, and by a very wide margin, most of the programs came out before 1990.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #893
lrhorer

Quote:
I might average an hour a day of actually sitting down and watching TV. Probably less. And even that seems like quite a bit.
I don't watch anything like the 40 hours listed in the posts above, but I surely usually watch more than 7 hours a week, most weeks.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #894
lrhorer

Quote:
Is that counting when the TV is on, or when people are actually actively WATCHING it?
I don't ever turn a TV on without watching it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #895
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's not the amount of media, it is the variety. Hypothetically, if one watches 8 hours of video a week, one could get by with only 8 hours worth of media for the week, but it would not allow for anything reasonable in terms of a selection from which to choose. Indeed, even with nearly 2000 videos, when my brothers, sister-in-law, and sister are visiting, it can be difficult to find even one that everyone likes and wants to watch.

Not so mush, really. Most of the stuff coming out is crap. The peak year in my collection was 1984, and by a very wide margin, most of the programs came out before 1990.
Oooookay. There's Netflix, there's rentals, or there's maintaining an expensive and cumbersome hoard of content....
Quote:
I don't ever turn a TV on without watching it.
What about news shows or Daily Show/ Colbert Report? Those shows don't really need to be watched... you can do other things while listening to them.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #896
lrhorer

Quote:
Oooookay. There's Netflix
Which has almost nothing of interest not already on my server, and costs money.

Quote:
there's rentals, or there's maintaining an expensive
The content on the server cost a great deal less than renting, and rentals are rarely of interest. They are also a pain.

Quote:
and cumbersome hoard of content....
It's not in the least cumbersome. The only maintenance occurs when the content is recorded and cataloged. Admittedly, I do at that point have to decide on the appropriate genres (comedy, drama, western, etc.) and I do choose to get the cover art at that point in time.

Quote:
What about news shows or Daily Show/ Colbert Report? Those shows don't really need to be watched... you can do other things while listening to them.
I don't watch those... or listen to them. Even if I did, I would not attempt to do two things at once. That merely results in a poor outcome of both endeavors.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #897
Bigg

Quote:
Which has almost nothing of interest not already on my server, and costs money.
Sorry to break the news of math to you, but even if you expect your NAS to last a very, very generous 5 years, you'd have to have spent less than $8*60mo = $480 on your whole thing, which clearly is not the case. So that one's busted.

Quote:
The content on the server cost a great deal less than renting, and rentals are rarely of interest. They are also a pain.

It's not in the least cumbersome. The only maintenance occurs when the content is recorded and cataloged. Admittedly, I do at that point have to decide on the appropriate genres (comedy, drama, western, etc.) and I do choose to get the cover art at that point in time.

I don't watch those... or listen to them. Even if I did, I would not attempt to do two things at once. That merely results in a poor outcome of both endeavors.
Where did all that stuff come from?

You should try being more engaged in what's going on in the world... heck, watch the evening news if you want the boring version geared towards old people. Any of those aren't that interesting to sit there and watch, and it is easy to absorb everything they are saying while doing something else. Believe me, I wouldn't be sitting in from of the TV watching TWiT, John Stewart, Steven Colbert, Rachel Maddow, and Bill Maher every week. I don't have that kind of time. But I watch them while I'm doing laundry, dishes, preparing food, making lunch for the next day, etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #898
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:

Sorry to break the news of math to you, but even if you expect your NAS to last a very, very generous 5 years, you'd have to have spent less than $8*60mo = $480 on your whole thing, which clearly is not the case. So that one's busted.
IIRC my NAS, including its 6 TB, cost somewhere around $400, and I would hope it lasts considerably longer than 5 years.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 03-03-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #899
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
If a show isn't watched for more than 5 years, do you honestly think your wife is going to go back into the archives on the NAS and watch it? Really?

Quote:
It's possible she's watched some of the offloaded shows - I don't know. I'll have to ask her.
What did she say when you asked?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #900
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
IIRC my NAS, including its 6 GB, cost somewhere around $400, and I would hope it lasts considerably longer than 5 years.
I think you might want to update to note that you are talking about TB, not GB.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote