TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Smash "The Dramaturg" (2/19/2013, Spoilers)

I'm so not liking the two aspiring Broadway musical writers. Jimmy is just angry all the time, and not believably - it comes across to me as "stage angry," the kind of thing you'd need to do to sell angry in the space of a few minutes in the artificiality of a play or musical, but rings completely fake in the pseudo-real-world they purport to portray.

Kyle, on the other hand, is way too "blue sky." way too disturbingly optimistic, cheery, etc. There would be no way that he could stay that way after hanging around this long with Jimmy.

And speaking of badly written characters, even Karen is starting to grate on me. For instance, after Jimmy barges in on the rehearsal, then blasts Karen, she just stands there wide-eyed and whimpers, and this has been the kind of thing she has done numerous times. In the real world, she would have turned to him and said "Hey, listen. I've been working my ASS off trying to help you make something of scribbles on scraps of paper. I even got a real, legit director interested. And now you have the GALL to barge in on a closed rehearsal because things didn't go quite according to schedule? Get a grip." But no, she just stands and whimpers. (Ironically, this is the very thing that the dramaturg criticizes about how Julia has written Marilyn.)

I really wish this show were more like Nashville. While that show tends to amplify the "soap opera" plotlines, it still somehow feels more real. This show is very comic book by comparison. *sigh*

I did like the opening number, and Jennifer Hudson killed the number from "The Wiz." I thought the number they did near the end for Bombshell was utter crap (mostly for the same reasons the dramaturg hated it).
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm so not liking the two aspiring Broadway musical writers.
[snip]
I thought the number they did near the end for Bombshell was utter crap (mostly for the same reasons the dramaturg hated it).
I agree on the two writers, that was just odd and didn't work well. And while I didn't like the JFK number they did it was less because of who was the aggressor (dramaturg's reason) and more because it barely had singing and none from Marilyn.

Can you image that bit of nothing coming up in a soundtrack? It's almost just disconnected bits of dialog to a bare hint of a tune.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Azlen

The ratings dropped again last night. A show with a 0.9 rating probably isn't going to be around long regardless of who is backing it.
It's not like it was facing tough competition either. Vegas had a 1.5 and Body of Proof had a 1.2.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
MusicMama

+100 on your assessment. I'm this close to cancelling the season pass because most of the characters annoy me and have changed from what I originally liked. Also, because I read both the newest Marilyn biography and My Week with Marilyn, and Bombshell's original concept more accurately followed that. If the musical-within is going with Marilyn the predator/slut, I'm gone. I'm tired of that characterization.
MusicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Cainebj

In terms of anything about actual theater production this whole show is just dumb.

Debra Messing's character is a mess.
Dramaturg's are the most helpful amazing assets to any production I can't even believe the story line is fighting over having one.

Hey Ivy - we fired you from the show but would you watch the new number and give us notes? WTF?

But with all that said -
J-Hud's version of the song from The Wiz was brilliant and reminded me why I once liked her so much.

and Ivy's rendition of Dancing on My Own was worth watching the whole episode.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Dramaturg is an ass to Julia so no doubt, she will be hopping into bed with him shortly.

Jimmy is an ass to Karen so no doubt, she will be hopping into bed with him shortly. The only question is, does she sleep with Derek before or after that.

My interest in the character of Karen is rapidly plummeting and that's the only thing that makes me care about the storyline.

Otherwise, I may as well fast forward through those and just watch the musical numbers.

Although more like the JFK/Marilyn will kill that as well.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
jay_man2
jay_man-also

I'm not getting Smash this year, and LoadStar described my feelings pretty well. Really liking Nashville, and Smash is no Nashville.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
jradosh
Newlywed

They took a show from season one which had failed to meet its promise, re-tooled it and made it worse rather than better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #9
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
They took a show from season one which had failed to meet its promise, re-tooled it and made it worse rather than better.
Just like "Harry's Law" and "Fairly Legal" and "Human Target"
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I strongly disagree that they made it worse. It is definitely a much better show, but I don't think I could say that I could call it a good show.

I think the removing the incredibly awful bits from last season (Ellis, Julia's home life, Julia's affair, etc.) has allowed the overall rough elements that were there in season 1 and remain there this year become more visible.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I strongly disagree that they made it worse. It is definitely a much better show, but I don't think I could say that I could call it a good show.

I think the removing the incredibly awful bits from last season (Ellis, Julia's home life, Julia's affair, etc.) has allowed the overall rough elements that were there in season 1 and remain there this year become more visible.
Last year, though, I thought there was a much more focused main conflict... the battle between Karen and Ivy (good and evil) for the lead role. Without that main story line there is no good/evil conflict. Everyone is pretty much meh... neither good or bad. Just... 'there'.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Last year, though, I thought there was a much more focused main conflict... the battle between Karen and Ivy (good and evil) for the lead role. Without that main story line there is no good/evil conflict. Everyone is pretty much meh... neither good or bad. Just... 'there'.
That's pretty much my reaction. I honestly don't care a fig about any of these people. I can't stand the two new writers. I'm at the point where I am now doing other things while watching this, mainly watching for Karen and Ivy looking good on screen. One more week, and I'm done.

Wife still likes it though.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked the JFK number, not for the show, but that it was fun to watch. I liked the opening number, Hudson's number, and Ivy's dream song in the studio. I'm afraid they really need to get rid of Messing... her character is the problem, from crappy Marilyn story to excessive drama to resisting the dramaturg. Not wild about her acting, either.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I liked the JFK number, not for the show, but that it was fun to watch. I liked the opening number, Hudson's number, and Ivy's dream song in the studio. I'm afraid they really need to get rid of Messing... her character is the problem, from crappy Marilyn story to excessive drama to resisting the dramaturg. Not wild about her acting, either.
But now that he has moved in with her partner, it is time for Will and Grace jokes!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
SNJpage1

I have started doing what I do with Glee, fast forward thru the story line and just watch the singing.