TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Appelcline

Tivo Series 4: Jumpy Recording

Two weeks in a row I've been watching Once Upon a Time and had the recording frequently do some weird jumping: you're watching, then it jumps back a few seconds and repeats what you just saw, then it jumps forward to catch up with where it should be (skipping stuff). Last week it was annoying; this week it made the show almost unwatchable at times.

A month or two ago we had some weird semi-seconds of blackness in recordings every once in a while which might or might not be related.

At least for the 6 or 7 shows we saw in the last week, this was the only show doing that, and it's possibly the only show we saw on that channel.

We're using Comcast (unfortunately) digital cable.

Any ideas whether it's a source problem (e.g., the cable channel), a cable card, a tuner, a drive ... ? The Series 4 is just a year or so old and the cable card is brand-new (we had to replace it) so I'd be pretty shocked if it was the hardware, but ...
Appelcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
shamilian

I would run kickstart 54 ( run the full test ) then 57, just to make sure your harddisk is ok. If you have a few bad sectors then this should fix it.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Appelcline

Thanks. How does one get to those?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
kmitchell

This appears to be a Comcast/ABC problem

It started happening for us about two weeks ago and we have since narrowed it down to ABC shows only. We notified Comcast the other day and they said they would look into it. We confirmed that it happens on more than one TiVo by recording the same show on multiple TiVos just to make sure. It happens in exactly the same spot in the show on both TiVo recordings.

Ken
kmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appelcline View Post
Thanks. How does one get to those?
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Appelcline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchell View Post
It started happening for us about two weeks ago and we have since narrowed it down to ABC shows only. We notified Comcast the other day and they said they would look into it. We confirmed that it happens on more than one TiVo by recording the same show on multiple TiVos just to make sure. It happens in exactly the same spot in the show on both TiVo recordings.
That is extremely helpful (as Once Upon a Time is also on ABC and we've been seeing the problem for two weeks also). Thanks!