Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Really? Seriously?

How odd.

This board can be so weird in how people are judgmental about what other people spend money on and what is important to them.

I doubt any of my "real life" peers launder their own dress shirts, and believe me, it's not because we're lazy. The rest of the world may have the day off, bu I'm in the office working, as I am on most Saturdays and many Sundays too.

Paying to have my shirts laundered is worth it to me.

Why does that bother you?
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Seems pretty clear that tiams has a blood feud with a dry cleaner, regardless of whether they actually do any dry cleaning.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
Adam1115
20,000!!!

If I had to where dress shirts every day, I'd gladly pay to have them laundered. Even if you do it yourself, it never looks as good as a professionally pressed shirt.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #34
Hank
AC•FTW

In addition, there's a HUGE difference between a shirt laundered at home and ironed with an iron can the same shirt laundered and PRESSED at a dry cleaner/laundry.

Sure, I can wash and iron my own shirts, but it sure looks like it too. There's nothing better (in business) that showing up in a bright white, pressed shirt. You can always tell the guys that have their wives doing it at home.

If I needed 30 shirts per week, damn right I'd be paying ~$1.25 per shirt.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
mattack

I'm sure glad that I can wear T-shirts and shorts to work… and walk around barefoot.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #36
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Month.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
newsposter
Poster of News

there's another component here sorta relevant to the shirt thing. there are other things in life that you dont want people doing for you even if you could afford it or it was even cheaper to 'farm out'

i doubt it's whats going on in this thread but it's another POV regarding work etc in general.

edit: i thought of an example...even if it was cheaper to let someone else change my oil id never let anyone do it. i like to get under the car and see what is up with everything, especially since installing my new engine last year. and it's good i do! here one new oil line is leaking so i need to fix it. it's not even enough to drip on the floor but by getting under, i saw it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter

Last edited by newsposter : 02-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
there's another component here sorta relevant to the shirt thing. there are other things in life that you dont want people doing for you even if you could afford it or it was even cheaper to 'farm out'

i doubt it's whats going on in this thread but it's another POV regarding work etc in general.

edit: i thought of an example...even if it was cheaper to let someone else change my oil id never let anyone do it. i like to get under the car and see what is up with everything, especially since installing my new engine last year. and it's good i do! here one new oil line is leaking so i need to fix it. it's not even enough to drip on the floor but by getting under, i saw it.
I gladly pay someone to change my oil. I hate working on cars and the $10 I would save is just not worth it.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #39
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
I gladly pay someone to change my oil. I hate working on cars and the $10 I would save is just not worth it.
Would you change your own oil if it cost $1,200 per year to have someone else do it? Cause thats the only way you can compare paying someone else to change your oil to paying someone else $100 per month to iron your shirts.

You can iron while you watch TV for gods sake.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
Satchel

Eh, I buy my dress shirts from Lands End. They have a No Iron style that I really like. If you take the time to hang them when they're dry but before they have a chance to sit in the dryer, they really don't need ironing...ever.
I figured that would wear off after a year, but no. I wear the collars thin after a year, but they still don't need ironing. Granted they are $60 shirts.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #41
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:

Would you change your own oil if it cost $1,200 per year to have someone else do it? Cause thats the only way you can compare paying someone else to change your oil to paying someone else $100 per month to iron your shirts.

What is your problem? Have you ever bought a cup of coffee from Starbucks or dunkin donuts? That's insane! You can make your own coffee as long as you aren't lazy. I mean you can make it in the morning while you go get the morning paper!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
Eh, I buy my dress shirts from Lands End. They have a No Iron style that I really like. If you take the time to hang them when they're dry but before they have a chance to sit in the dryer, they really don't need ironing...ever.
It may be passable, but nothing looks at good as a cleanly pressed shirt. For those "no iron" shirts, if you don't iron them and hang them to dry, the collar especially never looks as clean and sharp as an pressed shirt.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

You've always seemed like a nice, normal, reasonable person.

What is it about this that has hit such a nerve with you?

I don't want to iron my shirts. I work 6-7 days a week. I leave home when it's dark, and come home when it's dark.

I don't want to iron my shirts.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I still want to know if he's ever bought a cup of coffee.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I still want to know if he's ever bought a cup of coffee.
She.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
This is an example where I do pay, and feel guilty(*). It's SO easy to change oil & a filter.. but I do pay.

(*) ok, that's not quite the right word.. I can afford it.. it just seems like a waste of money, and not exactly an extravagance, like eating out for basically all lunches, or even Tivos (could do manual recordings on some other device).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #47
inaka

Why does anyone here care what other people spend their money on?
It's their money, not yours. Let it go.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #48
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Why does anyone here care what other people spend their money on?
It's their money, not yours. Let it go.
You must be new here.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #49
inaka

It was a rhetorical question....this place is bizarre.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #50
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I know - on both counts.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #51
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Month.
I sweat a lot.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #52
tiams

Quote:
You've always seemed like a nice, normal, reasonable person.

What is it about this that has hit such a nerve with you?

I don't want to iron my shirts. I work 6-7 days a week. I leave home when it's dark, and come home when it's dark.

I don't want to iron my shirts.
You are absolutely right, it is your money, you earned it and can spend it anyway you like.

I think it bothered me because I struggle financially.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams

The time the laundry is in the washer and dryer do not count because you aren't doing anything in that time. It takes 2 mins to put the laundry in the washer and turn it on and then another 2 mins to transfer them to the dryer. Figure 5 mins per shirt to iron. Whole thing less than 2 1/2 hours, so paying someone approx. $100 bucks is ridiculous. You have to be pretty lazy to pay that much for something you can do while watching TV.
Or really poor to spend your time washing, drying , ironing and starching your dress shirts. I don't wear many dress shirts these days but when I did they always went to the dry cleaner and it was always worth every penny because they get the shirts done so they look good.

I would live you to run down a list of every single item you spend every month that relates to your appearance. From buying clothes to toiletries. To laundry detergent to make up, to cologne or perfume or haircuts and everything else.

The only weird thing is people not knowing a lot of people who wear a dress shirt every day take them to cleaners.

Plus I suspect his rate is more than $40 an hour for his level services.

People often don't price out their own time and value it high enough. You can measure it against work and how much you make or even more valuable free time where you can do things you want to do. Unless you are seriously strapped for cash orreally love doing laundry and are really good at it so the shirts don't look like crap, then you might find a dry cleaner palatable.

I spend a lot of time working and I find my free time to be pretty much priceless. If i still regularly wore dress shirts they would to laundry. The slacks or suits I wore were dry clean only.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #54
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy

Really? Seriously?

How odd.

This board can be so weird in how people are judgmental about what other people spend money on and what is important to them.

I doubt any of my "real life" peers launder their own dress shirts, and believe me, it's not because we're lazy. The rest of the world may have the day off, bu I'm in the office working, as I am on most Saturdays and many Sundays too.

Paying to have my shirts laundered is worth it to me.

Why does that bother you?
Don't worry about it 90% of the people who don't have a so doing their dress shirts take them to a dry cleaner. This is why there are five million dry cleaners. From a volume standpoint shirts have to be their biggest item by a huge margin. You are arguing with someone who doesn't wear dress shirts every day or values their own very little or really really really love ironing.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #55
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Quote:
I know - on both counts.
It's funny how one simple comment can completely derail a thread off topic.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Don't worry about it 90% of the people who don't have a so doing their dress shirts take them to a dry cleaner. This is why there are five million dry cleaners. From a volume standpoint shirts have to be their biggest item by a huge margin. You are arguing with someone who doesn't wear dress shirts every day or values their own very little or really really really love ironing.
Turtleboy is a job creator.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
Turtleboy is a job creator.
raise his taxes!

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote