TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
kidvicious1973

Flakey netflix on TiVo HD and premiere

Past few days while streaming Netflix on two separate TiVo dvrs I keep losing connection. At first I thought it was my cables. When it started happening on the other box I figured my router was the problem. I reset it. I still have the same problem but I can stream to several Xbox and ROKU boxes with no issue. The connection loss clears after a few seconds. Has anyone else had this same issue?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
abqdan

There are numerous threads about the piss-poor design of the Netflix and HuluPlus apps on the Tivo. Some of the blame may rest with the companies - they design these apps for the Tivo box - and some with Tivo, in that their implementation and underlying hardware doesn't seem to handle these streams well. WD HDTV, Wii, PS3, Xbox, and most new TVs can handle these streams without interruptions or pixelation, but the Tivo box can't. I finally gave up and bought a Roku box to go with my Tivo so that I wouldn't have the frustration any more.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdan View Post
There are numerous threads about the piss-poor design of the Netflix and HuluPlus apps on the Tivo. Some of the blame may rest with the companies - they design these apps for the Tivo box - and some with Tivo, in that their implementation and underlying hardware doesn't seem to handle these streams well. WD HDTV, Wii, PS3, Xbox, and most new TVs can handle these streams without interruptions or pixelation, but the Tivo box can't. I finally gave up and bought a Roku box to go with my Tivo so that I wouldn't have the frustration any more.
The TiVos handle the Netlfix streams without difficulty. My TiVos streaming Netflix have been more solid streaming titles than any of my other 12+ Netflix streaming devices. Which include Roku2 boxes, Xboxes, a PS3, Boxee Boxes etc. Typically on my TiVos, it quickly ramps up to 1080P24 and stays there throughout the entire title. No pixelation issues either.

My other boxes are more likely to drop down to a lower encode than my TiVos are. And the Premieres also play the SuperHD encodes without difficulty which are the 4.3Mb/s and 5.8Mb/s streams. While the normal 1080P streams are only 3.8Mb/s.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 02-20-2013 at 07:52 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote