TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

History of the Eagles (documentary on Showtime)

Man was this excellent! I was seriously not aware of all the origins and fighting. I was under the belief that it was Don and Glen that butted heads constantly and that Joe was difficult as well. That Felder was such a little baby about his place in the band, I mean I get he contributed a lot musically but like Glenn said you never knew where you would start singing on a lot of his stuff it was just instrumental. Great but instrumental. Without Glenn and Don writing the lyrics they would have been no where or at best maybe a Grateful Dead type band.

I also forgot how funny Joe is. the story about him and Belushi trashing the hotel and painting their jeans black to get into the fancy restaurant was just hysterical.

Very well done all the way around, oh and forgot how freaking hot Linda Rontstadt was.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I haven't watched it all yet.

Did Joe tell the story of the recording session with Henley telling him "You can do better. Work on it while we get dinner."?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
DougF

I watched Part 1 over the weekend. Won't get to Part 2 for a few days. I also thought it was excellent. I had heard the story about Felder and Frey taking verbal jabs at each other at that concert, but I never knew mics caught it and it was recorded.

Looking forward to the second part. I imaging things will get a bit uglier when they get to Felder's firing.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I haven't watched it all yet.

Did Joe tell the story of the recording session with Henley telling him "You can do better. Work on it while we get dinner."?
No but they did tell the story of the manager taking Felder to dinner while Don recorded the lyrics to "heart of the matter" (I think) because Felder can't sing.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
No but they did tell the story of the manager taking Felder to dinner while Don recorded the lyrics to "heart of the matter" (I think) because Felder can't sing.
It was "Victim of Love", I think.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post

It was "Victim of Love", I think.
Must have been. Heart of the Matter is a Henley song.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I wanted to see this but don't have Showtime. The NY Times had an interview with Hendley talking about this show.

Hopefully they will repeat it during one of the free preview weeks on DirecTV or they will put it out on DVD/BD and my library will have it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
Must have been. Heart of the Matter is a Henley song.
That is what I said that I think Felder wanted to sing on "Heart of the Matter" but was terrible and Don did it while they distracted him.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I got the 2nd part, missed the 1st part
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
sharkster

Hope it re-airs. I was thinking about this and read some reviews that it was crap. I know, I know - I should not have put that much stock in those reviews. Anyway, I love the Eagles and now I want to see it, thanks to the reviews here (in which I put MUCH more stock than something I read in magazines).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Hope it re-airs. I was thinking about this and read some reviews that it was crap. I know, I know - I should not have put that much stock in those reviews. Anyway, I love the Eagles and now I want to see it, thanks to the reviews here (in which I put MUCH more stock than something I read in magazines).
I wonder what their beef was? I would say they take Don and Glenn a little too much at their word but other than that I liked it. Wish they would have interviewed other artists more, especially Linda Ronstadt but I think she is a recluse now.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The story Joe told:

In a recording session Joe does a solo. Henley tells him "You can do better. We're going to dinner. Work on it while we're gone."

Joe tells the engineer to keep replaying the riff he did real loud so it sounds live, and Joe goes and plays pool.

Henley comes back. "YOU NAILED IT! I knew you could do it, Joe!":
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Showtime shows that the film will be available on demand. It wasn't there when I looked but I set to record future airings.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Great but instrumental. Without Glenn and Don writing the lyrics they would have been no where or at best maybe a Grateful Dead type band.
Was that a knock at Grateful Dead lyrics?

If so, clearly you have no concept of what you are talking about.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

Was that a knock at Grateful Dead lyrics?

If so, clearly you have no concept of what you are talking about.
Maybe. I think the Dead are great lyricists but they are also great musicians and their songs have long interludes of just playing. That is what Don was referring to basically is that Felder is great musically but do they want to be a band of just instrumentation or do they want songs with lyrics. Very few of what Felder had was usable to make songs with lyrics out of.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
BrandonRe

Quote:

That is what I said that I think Felder wanted to sing on "Heart of the Matter" but was terrible and Don did it while they distracted him.
I meant it was a Don Henley solo song released years after the Eagles broke up and prior to "Hell Freezes Over."
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Maybe. I think the Dead are great lyricists but they are also great musicians and their songs have long interludes of just playing. That is what Don was referring to basically is that Felder is great musically but do they want to be a band of just instrumentation or do they want songs with lyrics. Very few of what Felder had was usable to make songs with lyrics out of.
Hmmm. Maybe I should turn that into a compliment. Robert Hunter's lyrics helped take the Dead to that next level. So few bands can blow you away on multiple levels. Musicianship, great jams, great lyrics . . .
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I read it the same way... that you were referring to a great jam band, as versus an Eagles type lyrics & music band. Said as a life-long deadhead and a big fan of the Eagles.

I recall hearing once that Jerry played pedal steel on an Eagles song. Taking It Easy maybe?

I'm spending a week away from TVs, but recorded this and will watch upon my return. Sounds good!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I don't have Showtime - I'll have to track this down from other sources.

I've read a few books about the Eagles, including Felder's.

IIRC, when the band originally formed, it was definitely an even split of profit between all members. That did not include publishing revenue however, so the more prolific songwriters (Henley and Frey) would be making more.

As Leadon and Meisner were replaced, I believe that policy was still in place. When the Farewell 1 tour happened, Felder suspected that Henley and Frey were taking more than their share of the tour profits but couldn't verify it because he and his lawyer were denied access to the accounting records.

Then when the last tour was being put together, Felder was informed that Henley and Frey wanted the profits split 7 ways instead of 5, with each of them getting 2/7s while the other 3 only got 1/7. He fought that and they fired him, replacing him with Henley's guitarist from his solo career.

What I've never understood about this kind of thing is how a band member gets "fired" if that member owns an equal part of a band based on an earlier contract. I think they eventually bought him out of his stake in the band, but couldn't he have insisted that he be included in the tour, or prevented them from touring as "The Eagles" without him (similar to the "who owns the name Pink Floyd" struggle)?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber

Last edited by scooterboy : 02-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
mwhip
All better

Yeah how the business side works would be very interesting to know. I do know in the 70's when they split from Aslyum and Geffen they formed their own corporation to do management and such. Not sure how that is all setup and who gets what.

Basically Glenn said in the documentary that he and Don wanted more of a share of the profits because no one else did anything in the 80's except those two. And if they would be playing their solo stuff while on an Eagles tour than they needed a larger cut.

Funny thing is Walsh totally agreed with all that and he said "All I want to do is play music to songs Glenn and Don write". Which to me was surprising from all the things I heard about Joe.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I'm amazed that most groups and teams do an even split, but I guess anything else would make hanging out together a bit of a challenge. When you have what is a lead singer with backup band (not the Eagles), they still split 7 or 8 ways. Amazing.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Basically Glenn said in the documentary that he and Don wanted more of a share of the profits because no one else did anything in the 80's except those two. And if they would be playing their solo stuff while on an Eagles tour than they needed a larger cut.
But they would be getting a bigger slice of the profits anyway because of the publishing rights (even playing live, I believe publishing fees are paid for every song that is performed). But theoretically they are all working just as hard while on stage.

Quote:
Funny thing is Walsh totally agreed with all that and he said "All I want to do is play music to songs Glenn and Don write". Which to me was surprising from all the things I heard about Joe.
But he can afford to say that since he was a solo act before the Eagles and still can fill venues (albeit not arenas) by himself. Schmitt and Felder - not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I'm amazed that most groups and teams do an even split, but I guess anything else would make hanging out together a bit of a challenge. When you have what is a lead singer with backup band (not the Eagles), they still split 7 or 8 ways. Amazing.
I'm not sure that's so true of a typical "Johnny Singer and the Backups" type of group. Especially once they get past their chart-topping days and into the "nostalgia" type tours, when half the band are replaced with guys in their 20s. Often the backup band is on salary.

Chuck Berry used to travel alone, and make each venue owner hire a band to play behind him. He was a crazy mofo anyway though.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
DougF

Watched Part 2 tonight. Frey sure is a smug SOB. I guess he's got the goods to back it up, though. Too bad Felder couldn't be satisfied with his place in the group. He's probably lost a lot of money in the last 12 years.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
ewolfr

For some reason my Tivo didn't pick up part two of this. But I managed to find the whole thing via "magical means"

Look for: History.of.the.Eagles.2013.720p.HDTV.x264-2HD or History.of.the.Eagles.2013.HDTV.x264-2HD
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #25
Howie
Out of Pocket

Crap, I haven't watched this. Recording scheduled.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
For some reason my Tivo didn't pick up part two of this. But I managed to find the whole thing via "magical means"

Look for: History.of.the.Eagles.2013.720p.HDTV.x264-2HD or History.of.the.Eagles.2013.HDTV.x264-2HD
Found the same - looking forward to watching it.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
Look for: History.of.the.Eagles.2013.720p.HDTV.x264-2HD
Watching the magic now. My goal was to watch 20 or 30 minutes, then go to Crossfit. I've missed Crossfit, but now I get to watch it all straight through, heh.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #28
dfergie

It's on today in one piece ...
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #29
Howie
Out of Pocket

I watched it today. I really liked it, but I was disappointed several times when I was getting into the music and they just cut into it. And as someone said above, Linda Ronstadt was smoking back then. Holy Moly, I'd forgotten how good looking she was.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, if you really enjoyed this you should immediately read Don Felder's Heaven and Hell for the other side of the story. Great read, great stories and a very different viewpoint of Henley and Fry.