TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Western Digital Red Drives

Anybody tried one of the WD Red drives on a Tivo? They are made for NAS installs and run at 5400 instead of 7200 which is all good but the transfer rate is 6Gb/sec and I'm not sure if that can be jumpered down to 3Gb/sec.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ggieseke

I haven't tried one in a TiVo (or a WD Red), but I run several different 6Gb/sec drives in my PC with no problems even though it only supports 3. Odds are good that it will adjust down automatically.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Anybody tried one of the WD Red drives on a Tivo? They are made for NAS installs and run at 5400 instead of 7200 which is all good but the transfer rate is 6Gb/sec and I'm not sure if that can be jumpered down to 3Gb/sec.
I tried a WD20EFRX (WD Red drive designed for NAS) as reported here. It seemed to work fine for the few hours I had it in my 2-tuner Premiere. I didn't have to use any jumpers.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I haven't tried one in a TiVo (or a WD Red), but I run several different 6Gb/sec drives in my PC with no problems even though it only supports 3. Odds are good that it will adjust down automatically.
I was unclear about that, having read some posts here that warn about possible issues with 6Gb/sec transfer rates.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I tried a WD20EFRX (WD Red drive designed for NAS) as reported here. It seemed to work fine for the few hours I had it in my 2-tuner Premiere. I didn't have to use any jumpers.
I take it there was no need to run WDIDLE3 even though the drive has the IntelliPower "feature"?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
jmbach

Intellipower is okay. Intellipark has been the issues in the past.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
I take it there was no need to run WDIDLE3 even though the drive has the IntelliPower "feature"?
I don't remember whether I ran WDidle3 or not, but I haven't had to change the IntelliPark setting for any recent drives. IOW, if I did run it, it must have said IntelliPark was already disabled. In any case, the drive rebooted successfully, both cold and warm.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
banjomaniac

I believe that is the same drive Im getting ready to set up, if so I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Banjomaniac
banjomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The difference on the Red drives is the disabling of retries for errors, where the time delay can make a RAID array mark the drive as bad.

I think that wouldn't have much impact on a DVR, other than masking any glitches go by faster.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I'm still looking around at various 2 TB drives for my Premiere 4. The RED I see is on sale at Newegg for $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236343

Is the RED really at least as good as the GREEN (which I have one in a 2-tuner Premiere)? Specs look like the RED is quiet and uses a low power draw as well.

EDIT: I ordered 2 of them on Saturday with the Newegg promo so they were $91.99 each. Should be arriving on Wednesday. I hope they work well!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream

Last edited by dmk1974 : 03-25-2013 at 06:40 AM.
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

Quote:
All SATA drives are backward compatible with previous SATA interfaces and will adjust to the speed of said interface. There is nothing to jumper.

The WD red drives should theoretically work, but they tend to be more expensive so I'm not sure why you'd want to use one in a Tivo. Your best bet would be to get an A/V drive specifically targeted for DVR use.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I received my 2 TB WD Red drive today. Used the jmfs tools 104 and performed the drive copy, expand, and supersize. Took about 3 hours. Popped it back into my Premiere 4 and so far so good. Seems to be just as fast (or slow I guess) as the original drive and is also very silent. 318 HD hours!!! I hope it hold up and works well for a long time!

Now I need to upgrade my buddy's 2-tuner Premiere with the other Red drive. Hopefully it goes just as smooth.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote