TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #61
rhatsaruck

Problem with curl.conf fix and newest Windows 7 critical updates

Quote:
The curl.conf patch worked for me as long as I did not apply the most recent Windows 7 critical updates.

Once I applied the Windows 7 critical updates the TiVo transfers failed. I had to reset the date in order for the TiVo transfers to continue.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 fully patched and TiVo Desktop 2.8.3.
What I wrote above quoted is wrong due to my error.

The curl.conf patch DOES in fact work on my machine after applying the most recent Windows 7 critical updates using today's date.

I offer my apologies to all. And I offer my thanks to morac for discovering this fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop

Last edited by rhatsaruck : 02-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
rhatsaruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
mrmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post
Am I missing something? Do I need to reboot? Again? This would probably be my 7th or 8th reboot in the last 24 hours... Arrrrgggghhhh. Frustrated. I need to have my dates right for my work.

Thanks, JW

Hi JW,

When I applied the curl.config file I did need to reboot for it to take effect. I tried before rebooting and it didn't work. So for any of you who are going to apply this, I would suggest a reboot.

I have transferred files from a Series 2, Series 3 HD and a Series 4 HD tivo ever since I applied the curl.conf file yesterday with no issues.

Thanks again to all you guys who are knowledgeable and have been helping us less experienced users. I and many others really appreciate your contributions to the community.

mrmega
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #63
christopherkoch

Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!!

After adding the simple line that you provided, all 4 of my TIVO desktop's immediately accepted program transfers. No computer restart.
I can now resume adding to my 16 terabytes of movies and programs. Thanks again. You are my hero. p.s. I have 3 dogs that love cats...
christopherkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #64
saramj

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Can you please explain for those of us non computer hard drive people how to replace the file. Is it as simple as opening the zip file and coying the file to the folder. If I want to change the last line of the curl, can I assume I open the file in notepad, add the last line and click save then close and all will be well?
Thanks
saramj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #65
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj View Post

Can you please explain for those of us non computer hard drive people how to replace the file. Is it as simple as opening the zip file and coying the file to the folder. If I want to change the last line of the curl, can I assume I open the file in notepad, add the last line and click save then close and all will be well?
Thanks
Opening it in notepad and copying and pasting the text as a new line will work.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #66
degobahjunk

Geez, can't believe I still need help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMejias View Post
In my case there was no curl.conf file in my Tivo Desktop install or config folders so I created a file in the suggested folder and added that line to it. It worked! Until there is a permanent fix that will work with the browser download method as well, this will do.
Hi AlMejias,

I don't have a curl.conf file either & the one that I downloaded from morac just isn't working. Can you tell me how to create the file the way you did?

This is the information in the curl.conf file I have from morac when opened in NotePad:

user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"

Would this content remain the same?

I'm really not sure why this seems to work for everyone but me... :sigh:

I'm running TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, JW
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #67
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post

I'm really not sure why this seems to work for everyone but me... :sigh:

I'm running TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, JW
Could be that you are using a really old version of TiVo Desktop. The latest version is 2.8.3.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #68
dk_girl

Thanks!

Joined so I could say thank you to morac. Also, so other hapless uers can google the error message, using Tivo Desktop I would get the following error message when the transfer failed:

"System cannot find the file specified" and like others said, the episode in the transfer list would appear with a red X.

For the user for whom it didn't work, have you modified your windows user account with the windows transfer settings thinamajig? My user account used to be of the form User but now it's COMPUTER_NAME.User, and I had to follow the right one from C:Users.

Oh, and after you modify the curl.conf file, did you restart (not your computer but) Tivo Desktop?

Also try opening the Cookies file in the same directory as curl.conf with Notepad and then close it again without doing anything-- I think that forced Tivo Desktop to reload the cookies (but I'm not certain about that).

Good luck!
dk_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #69
cmthomson

pushed me to kmttg

I tried the curl.conf patch, but no joy. Changing the date did work though.
I'm running fully patched win7pro64. The log showed that the curl.conf was being used, but then said curl code 22 response code 400. The UI said system could not find files.

Anyway, switching to kmttg and using java download, all is copacetic.

(BTW, the kmttg decoded files are ac3 audio, as opposed to the direct show dump files, which are aac. I had to mess with WMP12 to grok ac3; this is most easily done with the CNet Windows 7 Codec Pack.)
cmthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #70
abbydancer

Thank you

I haven't posted in a long time, but decided to to add my thanks.

My transfers stopped working at around 4pm on Friday, after transferring 1 of 5 shows.

That evening I spent about an hour on chat with Tivo support - while in the meantime, a different set of shows was merrily downloading on my Mac.
Supports suggestion - unistall-desktop cleanup - reinstall. It didn't work.

I have an older Windows box on XP (i'm on 7) that hasn't been booted in a while, so I went there and installed the latest. (I figured I have an older windows system so maybe it was my machine). Got the same error. At the point we rebooted the tivos, and the network. No luck. Saturday we left for the weekend.

Came home today, hoping that maybe the quiescent system over the weekend would solve. Nope.

So I came here to ask what could possibly cause this strange thing (two different computers???) and found this thread.

I added the line to curl.conf and my transfers are back.

I'm so glad I kept the bookmark and the forums are still active.

morac, thank you so much for solving and posting.

I am curious about the cause.
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #71
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
I am curious about the cause.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...58#post9526758
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #72
abbydancer

Quote:
My bad I reread this thread after I posted and saw that. Thanks again.
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #73
lynnalexandra

The "work around" leaves me intimidated and unsure about what to do. To qoute some advice I got on these forums a few years ago, maybe when I have time this weekend, I'll have a big glass of brave juice - and give it a whirl.

Very very frustrating. I called Tivo late afternoon on Feb. 17 - and got the story that it was a windows update problem. They said maybe they'd find a fix within a week. If not call back next week. That is so outrageous and not acceptable. And it's complicating another unsolved issue that since the Fall update, the Tivo is registering the wrong file size. Hence, the Tivo thinks it's filled up, when it's only 25-30% capacity with sd files. The rep yesterday said that they knew about that bug - and would be providing a fix in the spring update. I questioned why they didn't send a fix out sooner rather than waiting for an entire program update - and her response was she could see my point, but at least it was better than being told it would take a year.

So one of the reasons I'm transferring fast and furious to my desktop, is to remove commercials and pull shows back to the Tivo - so they will register as closer to 300-400MB per 1/2 hour sit com - instead of 2100MB. And now that the cookies are expired, I can't use that work around.

Lynn.

PS - the one positive from my call was that the rep adviced me how to fix the broken netflix app (reboot modem, router, Tivo - and relink to my netflix account).
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #74
morac
Cat God

There's now an official response about this problem. It basically says, TTG is broken and to turn the clock back as a work around. I'm not sure why they don't mention the other work around, but they don't. They also state it's only affecting Windows PCs which is wrong.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #75
degobahjunk

2.5.1 never had a curl.conf file. So just adding one to the TiVo Destop folder didn't solve the problem. (And yes, I did have the correct location & folder.) I don't even know what a conf file is, but 2.5.1 apparently didn't rely on one, so that particular fix didn't work.

I gave up & downloaded 2.8.3, added the cookie = "sid=abc" line & I'm back in business. No wonder it seemed like such an easy fix for so many others! My new TiVo Desktop is currently transferring!!

Thanks notting, unitron & especially morac for figuring this all out!
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #76
morac
Cat God

I did notice that the TiVoTransfer.xml file wasn't cleaned up after the transfer finished. I don't know if that was because of the failed transfer or a side effect of the work around. I didn't have a chance to test further. It didn't seem to cause problems.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #77
saramj

Windows 8

Quote:
Opening it in notepad and copying and pasting the text as a new line will work.
Morac
Could you please explain in more detail how we find this file in Widows 8 and make the correction. I did find a CURL file however, it was not allowed to be opened in note pad and when I right clicked and clicked open a window flashed and that was it.
I tried searching for the path you gave in your first post for Windows Vista and above but found nothing. I am using TiVo desktop 2.8.3
Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #78
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
The "work around" leaves me intimidated and unsure about what to do. To qoute some advice I got on these forums a few years ago, maybe when I have time this weekend, I'll have a big glass of brave juice - and give it a whirl.

Very very frustrating. I called Tivo late afternoon on Feb. 17 - and got the story that it was a windows update problem. They said maybe they'd find a fix within a week. If not call back next week. That is so outrageous and not acceptable. And it's complicating another unsolved issue that since the Fall update, the Tivo is registering the wrong file size. Hence, the Tivo thinks it's filled up, when it's only 25-30% capacity with sd files. The rep yesterday said that they knew about that bug - and would be providing a fix in the spring update. I questioned why they didn't send a fix out sooner rather than waiting for an entire program update - and her response was she could see my point, but at least it was better than being told it would take a year.

So one of the reasons I'm transferring fast and furious to my desktop, is to remove commercials and pull shows back to the Tivo - so they will register as closer to 300-400MB per 1/2 hour sit com - instead of 2100MB. And now that the cookies are expired, I can't use that work around.

Lynn.

PS - the one positive from my call was that the rep adviced me how to fix the broken netflix app (reboot modem, router, Tivo - and relink to my netflix account).
Sad to say, the Tivo support people seem nearly uniformly less knowledgeable than the people on this forum. Don't believe a word they said about it being a Windoze update problem.

But there is nothing difficult about the fix provided here. Make sure you have the latest version of Tivo Desktop, then modify the curl.conf file as indicated using Notepad. It's very easy - don't be intimidated.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #79
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
Sad to say, the Tivo support people seem nearly uniformly less knowledgeable than the people on this forum. Don't believe a word they said about it being a Windoze update problem.

But there is nothing difficult about the fix provided here. Make sure you have the latest version of Tivo Desktop, then modify the curl.conf file as indicated using Notepad. It's very easy - don't be intimidated.
And make sure that Notepad doesn't rename it curl.conf.txt

Although TiVo should quit blaming Windows and tell the truth about it being their own screwup, I can't blame them for not wanting to tell customers to start monkeying around with files on their computers--too much potential for disaster.

If you click on Adjust Date/Time, the worst that can happen is that you set the date/time on the computer to something other than what it actually is.

Once you start editing files, especially if you're the kind of user who's liable to decide that if editing the text of that file in Notepad is good, using Word will be even better, who knows what could get screwed up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #80
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Although TiVo should quit blaming Windows and tell the truth about it being their own screwup, I can't blame them for not wanting to tell customers to start monkeying around with files on their computers--too much potential for disaster.

If you click on Adjust Date/Time, the worst that can happen is that you set the date/time on the computer to something other than what it actually is.

Once you start editing files, especially if you're the kind of user who's liable to decide that if editing the text of that file in Notepad is good, using Word will be even better, who knows what could get screwed up.

TiVo's representatives on their help forums have now admitted to the bug and their official work around is to change the date. I'm assuming the phone support will get on the same page soon enough.

What I don't understand is why it's taking them so to release some kind of patch for this. They could easily release a patch that simply adds the lines to the curl.conf file or, if they don't want to send a bogus sid cookie, patch curl.exe to ignore the expiration date and distribute that.

The proper fix would be to fix the cookie on the TiVo DVRs and I expect they will for Premieres, but we all know that TiVo won't do that for Series 2 and Series 3 boxes, so patching the TiVo Desktop client is the only alternative.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
unitron

Quote:
TiVo's representatives on their help forums have now admitted to the bug and their official work around is to change the date. I'm assuming the phone support will get on the same page soon enough.

What I don't understand is why it's taking them so to release some kind of patch for this. They could easily release a patch that simply adds the lines to the curl.conf file or, if they don't want to send a bogus sid cookie, patch curl.exe to ignore the expiration date and distribute that.

The proper fix would be to fix the cookie on the TiVo DVRs and I expect they will for Premieres, but we all know that TiVo won't do that for Series 2 and Series 3 boxes, so patching the TiVo Desktop client is the only alternative.
They may have quit blaming Windows for it, but ol' tivojonathan never quite seems to get around to the "...and it's all our fault for outsourcing our coding to Mayans" part.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #82
ggieseke

Jerry and Margret are both pushing hard behind the scenes for a fix.

Since I'm pretty sure they would have to recompile tivoapp for every box out there except S1s to fix the core issue, I expect that they'll just patch Desktop for now and work on updating the boxes in "TiVo time". Changing a few bytes here and there would be easy, but since the later S2s came out there's the whole anti-hacking issue to consider. It isn't just an update you whip up in a few minutes and release into wild.

Personally, I could care less thanks to notting & morac.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #83
morac
Cat God

There is absolutely no chance of TiVo patching the S2 or S3 boxes. Those are dead platforms (development-wise) so it's not going to happen. They can patch the Premieres in the next update, but the only universal fix is to patch TiVo Desktop to simply ignore the expired cookie.

I'm not even sure why the programmer even thought it was necessary to add a session cookie since there's no "session" to speak of. It's simply downloading a file, not making a banking transaction, which might be why the programmer never bothered to add a check to see if the session cookie is correct.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #84
moyekj

Since TiVo contracts out TiVo Desktop software it may be more complicated than we think to get a simple patch in place and thus may take a lot longer that it should. If nothing else though, they could have a simple patch program that you can run to patch an existing installation with the fix instead of rolling out a new version.

Of course patching TiVo Desktop also doesn't fix the larger issue of web based downloads, and other 3rd party programs that have not already implemented a patch, but TiVo may take the position that those were never sanctioned methods anyway so no obligation to get them working. There's also TiVo Desktop for Mac dinosaur I guess they have to deal with too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #85
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
There is absolutely no chance of TiVo patching the S2 or S3 boxes. Those are dead platforms (development-wise) so it's not going to happen. They can patch the Premieres in the next update, but the only universal fix is to patch TiVo Desktop to simply ignore the expired cookie.
Not exactly "universal", since it leaves their internal web server broken (granted, they've always labelled that as "unsupported"), along with any third-party apps that don't get patched.

I don't know to just what extent they've abandoned their own ability to update the S2 and S3, but as long as they can still do the checksums and push out a signed package, then they can patch tivoapp, even without the source, since the bad date is there in plain text.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #86
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Not exactly "universal", since it leaves their internal web server broken (granted, they've always labelled that as "unsupported"), along with any third-party apps that don't get patched
Yes technically it's still broken for "unsupported" methods, but there are known workarounds for said methods. It's not that I don't think TiVo doesn't care about making it work for web browser and 3rd party, but I don't think they'll push out a TiVo side software update just to fix that. The web browser method doesn't even work for the suggestions or HD folder currently on the Premiere as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't know to just what extent they've abandoned their own ability to update the S2 and S3, but as long as they can still do the checksums and push out a signed package, then they can patch tivoapp, even without the source, since the bad date is there in plain text.
Technically, I don't see any issues pushing out an update to S2 and S3 platforms, but I still believe it won't be done. TiVo won't (or shouldn't) risk breaking basic functionality on those boxes by sending out a full fledged update to fix this problem. Tivoapp could be patched, but that likely won't work because of the CRC checks.

It might be possible to "patch" the S2 and S3 boxes in the same way that S1 boxes are patched biannually to make changes related to daylight savings time. I don't know if that's possible though.

The latest info being given out by support reps is that the issue will be fixed within a week. There's no way that a S2/S3/Premiere software update can be implemented and regression tested in such a short time period.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #87
saramj

Question

Can anyone explain how to impliment this fix in the Windows 8 environment? I do not even see the same files or folders avaiable. There is a curl file, but it won't let me open or do anything with it. I have tried right clicking to open and also double clicking to open it. When I try double clicking, I get a blip on the screen then it goes away. The file path that has been listed for Windows Vista and above from what I can see does not exist in Windows 8.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #88
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Can anyone explain how to impliment this fix in the Windows 8 environment? I do not even see the same files or folders avaiable. There is a curl file, but it won't let me open or do anything with it. I have tried right clicking to open and also double clicking to open it. When I try double clicking, I get a blip on the screen then it goes away. The file path that has been listed for Windows Vista and above from what I can see does not exist in Windows 8.
It may be hidden, but it's in the same location as it is in Vista. See:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ata_folder.htm
Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #89
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:

cookie = "sid=abc"

Odd, I did not have this file on my XP box. But it was in the 'recycle' bin. Restored it, and added the line. Works for me.

How were you able to determine this work-around?
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #90
unitron

Quote:
When/if you find curl.conf (and not curl.exe), don't double click, right click, and then click "open with..." and select notepad.