TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,928
shark tank 2/8/13

the 10 second rule thing is just getting to be a gimmick when he comes back in later

the hoodie pillow seemed like a joke sorta. it seems like it would restrict you just in another way vs a traditional sweater. the airplane thing i could see being useful but will they let you on a plane wearing that or consider you a terrorist?

i still dont get the ice thing..is it just preventing the water from dripping off the can and keeping it insulated by being airtight underneath it? id love to do a test of 'hours later' claims he made about top vs bottom etc

chewing is gross as hell but i guess if you are gonna do it, may as well do it with non tobacco products

i dont have as much dry cleaning as thesee people so the garment bag seems like something a bit silly to me
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
jschuman
Registered User
 
jschuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 2,818
The City Kitty woman annoys me....I want her to fail.

Also, wouldn't it be refreshing to see a Shark Tank Update where the idea/company/person completely flopped?! I know it will never, ever happen, but I think it would be funny if they cut to one of those and it went something like:

"We were the creators of 'blah blah blah' and we lost everything. Barbara and Mark were absolutely no help and our orders just dried up the minute people realized our idea was stupid. We barely avoided personal bankruptcy and have returned to our accounting and PR management jobs. Thanks for nothing Shark Tank!"

jschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Dry cleaning is extremely toxic and harmful to humans and the environment. It is laughable for any product that is an accessory to dry cleaning to call itself "green".
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
CatScratchFever
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Prescott AZ
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Dry cleaning is extremely toxic and harmful to humans and the environment. It is laughable for any product that is an accessory to dry cleaning to call itself "green".
confused, you're advocating using something that would end up in a landfill over something that would lessen that?
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,928
i know it's part of the game but when they fight over amounts under 100K it's a bit laughable. to these people thats like pennies to you and me
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 18,163
Yeah, the hoodie pillow was a complete joke. Seriously, huge fail. But the hoodie neck pillow -- a home-run. I'd buy one just to keep people from talking to me on a plane, as well as shut out some of the noise and chill in the cabin. They should have led with that, and thrown in the hoodie pillow as a joke product.

I agree about the small amounts -- those guys can spend more than $37,500 on frivolous stuff every day. Kevin probably spends at least that on good wine. It's like pocket change to them. Sure, have $40k, if I make it back, great. I'm making more than $40k just sitting here on this show for an hour.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
DancnDude
Thrice as nice
 
DancnDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 7,488
I completely agree with the Hoodie Pillow. The one of the big pillow was just so stupid. Doesn't seem that that'd help with anything. But the neck-pillow for planes seemed interesting and I could see people buying that.
__________________
XBox Live Gamertag - DancnDude
Wii code - 5559-0767-1390-1788
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Dry cleaning is extremely toxic and harmful to humans and the environment. It is laughable for any product that is an accessory to dry cleaning to call itself "green".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScratchFever View Post
confused, you're advocating using something that would end up in a landfill over something that would lessen that?
No, dry cleaning should not be used at all. If your product depends on the continuation of a toxic process it is not "green". The plastic bags are the least of the problems.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
No, dry cleaning should not be used at all. If your product depends on the continuation of a toxic process it is not "green". The plastic bags are the least of the problems.
A lot of people just have their clothes cleaned and pressed there. Most places won't dry clean the clothes unless you explicitly ask or the label on the clothes calls for it.

A lot of cleaners already offer reusable bags that can hang, though. Often for free.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuman View Post
The City Kitty woman annoys me....I want her to fail.

Also, wouldn't it be refreshing to see a Shark Tank Update where the idea/company/person completely flopped?! I know it will never, ever happen, but I think it would be funny if they cut to one of those and it went something like:

"We were the creators of 'blah blah blah' and we lost everything. Barbara and Mark were absolutely no help and our orders just dried up the minute people realized our idea was stupid. We barely avoided personal bankruptcy and have returned to our accounting and PR management jobs. Thanks for nothing Shark Tank!"
Normally what happens is that the Sharks use their due diligence provision and back out if they don't think its a sure thing regardless of how enthusiastic they are on the show. See the story of Megan Cummins You Smell Soap update
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yeah, the hoodie pillow was a complete joke. Seriously, huge fail.
I think it was stupid too.. but I think the shamwow and the blanket with sleeves thing are dumb too… But apparently there are enough suckers to buy this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
A lot of people just have their clothes cleaned and pressed there. Most places won't dry clean the clothes unless you explicitly ask or the label on the clothes calls for it.
So you mean "dry cleaners" also wash/clean clothes the same way regular people do?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 18,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So you mean "dry cleaners" also wash/clean clothes the same way regular people do?
Are you seriously asking this? Of course they do. If I take in a pile of dress shirts to get cleaned, they are just laundered and pressed, no actual dry cleaning involved. Actual dry cleaning is only for items that say so and can't be laundered (like wool suits)
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
inaka
Registered User
 
inaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 9,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I completely agree with the Hoodie Pillow. The one of the big pillow was just so stupid. Doesn't seem that that'd help with anything. But the neck-pillow for planes seemed interesting and I could see people buying that.
The pillow idea was laughably stupid. Why didn't any of the sharks just ask, "Why not wear a beanie when you go to bed?" Then you're not restricted in movement in anyway.

The way the cat pee lady was talking up the hoodie pillow idea, all credibility with her was lost after they unveiled that dud of a product. The neck-pillow idea made much more sense, and could work, but the hoodie pillow has to have an initial spike in novelty sales on part with "fart cologne" or something. I can't believe Robert bought into that, but then again, it's nothing more than a Lexus for him.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,928
kev did say you make crap but a lot of people buy it so he was interested
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,641
Yes, I was seriously asking that. I don't think I have ANYTHING that can't just go in the washing machine. I seriously thought you only brought things to the dry cleaners that needed dry cleaning because, umm, that's their name.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 47,930
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yes, I was seriously asking that. I don't think I have ANYTHING that can't just go in the washing machine. I seriously thought you only brought things to the dry cleaners that needed dry cleaning because, umm, that's their name.
I bring all my dress shirts to the cleaners. Usually about 30 at a time.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I bring all my dress shirts to the cleaners. Usually about 30 at a time.
You have to admit, your time is worth more so having someone else do your laundry is cost effective.
Must be nice!
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You have to admit, your time is worth more so having someone else do your laundry is cost effective.
Must be nice!
i always wondered about statements like that but will question in HH vs clutter this thread
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I bring all my dress shirts to the cleaners. Usually about 30 at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You have to admit, your time is worth more so having someone else do your laundry is cost effective.
Must be nice!
How much does that cost per shirt? And how many shirts do you wear per week?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 47,930
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
How much does that cost per shirt? And how many shirts do you wear per week?
I'm famous at my dry cleaner for waiting till I'm almost out of shirts before I bring them in. I wear 5-6 shirts a week, so I'll only go once a month or so, and with other dry cleaning will spend about 75-125 a month.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,641
Yikes.. You must be LOADED. Get a washing machine.. even if you pay a local kid to do your wash for you, you'd probably be saving money.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I'm famous at my dry cleaner for waiting till I'm almost out of shirts before I bring them in. I wear 5-6 shirts a week, so I'll only go once a month or so, and with other dry cleaning will spend about 75-125 a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yikes.. You must be LOADED. Get a washing machine.. even if you pay a local kid to do your wash for you, you'd probably be saving money.
Wow, that is a lot of money just for laundry. I wish someone would pay me $100 bucks a month to wash their clothes.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
Grasshopper AZ
Registered User
 
Grasshopper AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yikes.. You must be LOADED. Get a washing machine.. even if you pay a local kid to do your wash for you, you'd probably be saving money.
I don't know- When you figure in the time alone to wash/dry/iron 20-30 shirts it doesn't sound so bad. I know when I am traveling I will gladly pay to have my laundry done rather than do it myself.
__________________
HR10-250 stock
HR10-250 stock
HR20-700S
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper AZ View Post
I don't know- When you figure in the time alone to wash/dry/iron 20-30 shirts it doesn't sound so bad. I know when I am traveling I will gladly pay to have my laundry done rather than do it myself.
The time the laundry is in the washer and dryer do not count because you aren't doing anything in that time. It takes 2 mins to put the laundry in the washer and turn it on and then another 2 mins to transfer them to the dryer. Figure 5 mins per shirt to iron. Whole thing less than 2 1/2 hours, so paying someone approx. $100 bucks is ridiculous. You have to be pretty lazy to pay that much for something you can do while watching TV.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Jebberwocky!
Guest
 
Jebberwocky!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,759
it all depends, if I'm having issues paying my obligations the last thing I'm going to do is pay someone to do my laundry. If I'm flush with cash than I would have no issues paying someone to do my laundry.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #26
Grasshopper AZ
Registered User
 
Grasshopper AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The time the laundry is in the washer and dryer do not count because you aren't doing anything in that time. It takes 2 mins to put the laundry in the washer and turn it on and then another 2 mins to transfer them to the dryer. Figure 5 mins per shirt to iron. Whole thing less than 2 1/2 hours, so paying someone approx. $100 bucks is ridiculous. You have to be pretty lazy to pay that much for something you can do while watching TV.
That would depend on what you value your time at. At your #s all you would need to do is value your time at higher than $40 per hour. I know some people that would probaly value their time a lot higher than that. Hell, value my time higher than that. I also despise ironing. any of my dress shirts that have to be ironedget laundered at whatever Hilton family hotel Iam staying at that week. At home I have chosen a wardrobe that does not need ironing.
__________________
HR10-250 stock
HR10-250 stock
HR20-700S
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,641
I don't regularly wear anything that needs to be ironed.. problem solved.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident
 
DavidTigerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,062
You guys are nuts. I'd gladly pay $100 a month to have my laundry if my wife didn't do it for me.
__________________
The invasion is complete. :D

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 47,930
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yikes.. You must be LOADED. Get a washing machine.. even if you pay a local kid to do your wash for you, you'd probably be saving money.
I'm not looking to save money if it meant that I had to wash and iron my shirts. I have a washing machine. It washes everything else. Do you wear dress shirts every day? It's not just the washing, but the ironing, starching, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Wow, that is a lot of money just for laundry. I wish someone would pay me $100 bucks a month to wash their clothes.
It's not "for laundry." They're not washing my underwear. It's a dry cleaners.

Really? I'm supposed to wash and iron and starch my own shirts? The only attorneys I know who don't take their shirts to a dry cleaners have their wives clean their shirts for them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
it all depends, if I'm having issues paying my obligations the last thing I'm going to do is pay someone to do my laundry. If I'm flush with cash than I would have no issues paying someone to do my laundry.
I'm not sure if that was a dig at me or not.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post





Really? I'm supposed to wash and iron and starch my own shirts? The only attorneys I know who don't take their shirts to a dry cleaners have their wives clean their shirts for them.


tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |