TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Puppy76

Geez, thank goodness this wasn't just me...rebooted every piece of my network, and my Tivo 2 and HD, and even web browser connections were failing lol

I'll read more on this tomorrow, but is Tivo aware of this? I realize it looks like a simple fix, but it's disturbing Tivo hasn't just released an update whether for tivo desktop or the tivos themselves.

Are we expecting an update? Is tivo aware of the issue or just blowing people off? Should we all be calling so they get the picture that this is real and not something that can be blown off?
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
moyekj

There's been no sign of TiVo acknowledging a problem or even hinting anything will be done about it officially any time soon AFAIK. Did you expect anything more, especially during a holiday weekend?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
morac
Cat God

It's the weekend and Monday is a holiday so my guess is most TiVo employees aren't working. I'm sure they'll hear about it first thing Tuesday morning.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
bobfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop.
It's easy and it works perfectly.

Thank you.

Bob
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Did you expect anything more, especially during a holiday weekend?
You know, I actually did. The more fool I.

Of course that was when I assumed that this was just due to some bad data in the daily call, rather than being a hardcoded date in the TiVo software. Yikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop.
Yup, works for me also. I had found that file by searching my C drive for curl, but I didn't know what to do with it. Windows saw it as an unknown file type.
Once I read that it is basically a text file, I told Windows to open it with Notepad. Added the line, did a save as, and replaced the file.
Downloading now without having to change the date on my computer.

Edit:

BTW, I wonder - what would happen if you altered the 'speed-time' value?

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 02-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
BTW, I wonder - what would happen if you altered the 'speed-time' value?
Not much. That setting tells curl to abort the transfer if the transfer speed drops below 1 byte per second for 30 seconds. I think it's a work around for an old problem where the transfer would never end after it finished. In any case it prevents the transfer from hanging indefinitely if something goes wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #38
howards

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop
Brilliant. Thanks!
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
howards

Actually, Tivo has acknowledged the issue in response to a bug report from me, and thanked me for links this thread. Maybe it will save some other poor users from a litany of "reboot this" and "reinstall that".
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #40
AlMejias

Thumbs up Re: Session ID missing problem

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Thanks for the tip! It seems to be working! I'll know for sure in a day or two.

In my case there was no curl.conf file in my Tivo Desktop install or config folders so I created a file in the suggested folder and added that line to it. It worked! Until there is a permanent fix that will work with the browser download method as well, this will do.

Thanks again for this fix!
AlMejias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #41
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

SWEET!!!! Thanks!!!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #42
jangelj

Personally, I think this is a consipiracy by the author of kmttg to get me to upgrade from v0.5g. Been working fine for years, so no reason for me to change till now.

Just kidding. Thanks a ton for the lates version. The interface is so much friendlier than v0.5g...and it works! I am downloading now.

Quick question, are the .enc files all compatible from my old-ass version to the latest? Can I just copy the enc file to the new encode directory and use it?

As my use of my old S2 Tivo has dwindled, my attendance in this forum has waned, too. I am glad to revisit and see that it is as responsive and informative as ever. Tivo (the company) should hire their code writers from here.
Thanks!
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
bettyetters

Smile Thank you!

Quote:

This fixed my sudden Tivo transfer problem perfectly. Thank you!
bettyetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
mrmega

Morac,

Thank you very much for providing us the cookie fix (curl.conf modification) It works really well on my end.

I have a Series 2 Tivo, a Series 3 HD Tivo and Series 4 HD (4 channel) Tivo all connected to my network and I am using a Windows XP with Tivo Desktop to transfer programs. I have moved several programs off of each Tivo today to my computer's hard drive (with the correct day/time set of course) and so far have had no issues.

Just to share information, as of about 4pm EST some techs on their phone line are still blaming the issue on a Windows update

The last person I spoke with last night knew it had nothing to do with a windows update so at least some of them know something.

I walked the tech I spoke to today at 4:00 through my experience and processes and told him that I had received no updates for XP so that could not possibly be the problem (it had already been put into the notes of my service calls from Saturday). I also pointed him to these boards so he could see for himself that it was a cookie issue (dates etc as you guys laid out yesterday) and he claimed he was taking notes and would forward them to his supervisor and the tech team etc. I also showed him the this thread.

He did at least know about changing the date as a work around.

I find it bizarre that after so much evidence that some C.S. agents/techs are still blaming the problem on a Microsoft update.

To all you other guys who are knowledgeable and have been posting the information about the true nature of the problem and the solutions this weekend, THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!

I spent a lot of time late late Friday/Early Saturday restarting computers and networks and uninstalling/reinstalling etc to no avail of course. I finally gave up and went to bed. When I got up I started searching for info on the web which led me to the kmttg thread which led me to other threads. I used the date change yesterday and found the curl.conf fix today.

You all really should be commended and I want you to know that I really appreciate your efforts.

Now I just need to try kmttg and PyTivo and some of the other things you guys developed/use. I had no idea there were other solutions because up until Friday Night I had never had any problems really.

Respectfully and Appreciatively,
mrmega
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #45
TVBill

Thanks!!

Quote:

Infrequent visitor to the site, but I'm compelled to post my first comment to say THANK YOU for this fix. Works perfectly, and I'd spent hours trying to diagnose the problem. This community is a great resource for TiVo users both advanced and tech-challenged and I know I'll be stopping by these boards more often.

Thanks again!
TVBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
dgtucker
I like cheese

Thank you so much, everyone, and especially @morac. Another batch of transfers are clicking along here at my house now.

Let's stop being so angry with TiVo, though. They just got bad intel from the Mayans and didn't realize it would be a big deal...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #47
msmart

Thanks morac, for the simple fix!! Back to transferring. Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #48
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmart View Post
Thanks morac, for the simple fix!! Back to transferring. Thanks again!
morac/notting 2016

with wmcbrine for secdef

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #49
degobahjunk

I've been googling, uninstalling, re-installing, re-booting, using the TiVoDesktopCleaner, clearing my cache, moving files, system restore, turning firewalls on & off, checking all sorts of settings.... on & on. I could not figure out why the last day my files transferred was 2/15/13. I have a laptop running XP Pro SP3. I use Desktop 2.5.1 & I kept getting, "An internal error has occurred." I just recovered last week from a complete hard drive failure and subsequent replacement, and have been slowly getting all my programs up & running, codecs figured out, etc. Just when I thought I got TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 working great, it showed all my programs on my TiVo HD but then just wouldn't transfer them for the last few days. I'd get, "An internal error occurred." Thank you to notting for posting this crazy simple "fix." I hope TiVo fixes this for real soon, because I can't keep the date wrong on my computer all the time..... I just downloaded the curl.conf zipped file that morac posted. Hoping that'll fix the issue w/o having to change my computer's date. I didn't even have a curl.conf file. I'm wondering if I deleted it in the frenzy of deletes I performed today. I did notice I had a TransferCookies.Bad in my Tivo Desktop folder.... But I deleted it. Oye, what a day. Thanks morac!!
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #50
bcamp

I am so grateful for the curl.conf fix. It has saved me much time with TiVo support. We all know how clueless they keep the level 1 staff and it takes a bomb-threat to get a problem escalated. (JK on the bomb-threat)
bcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #51
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamp View Post
I am so grateful for the curl.conf fix. It has saved me much time with TiVo support. We all know how clueless they keep the level 1 staff and it takes a bomb-threat to get a problem escalated. (JK on the bomb-threat)
If you keep threating them with joke bombs you're never going to get anywhere, you have to make them think you mean business.

Wait, what's that? No one at Homeland Security has anything even approaching a sense of humor? Despite what they put people through at airports?

Well, in that case, never mind.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #52
bcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you keep threating them with joke bombs you're never going to get anywhere, you have to make them think you mean business.

Wait, what's that? No one at Homeland Security has anything even approaching a sense of humor? Despite what they put people through at airports?

Well, in that case, never mind.
I meant I was kidding that the bomb-threat worked!
bcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #53
tluxon

Quote:

This is working great for TiVo Desktop (Thanks!), but I still can't download with pyTivo. Any workarounds for that? wmcbrine?
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #54
BORIF

got hit with this bug after installing a slew of windows updates. thank you morac for providing a fix to the coding challenged.
BORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #55
degobahjunk

hmmm, didn't work

Quote:

I downloaded this curl.conf file because mine was just plain missing. I opened it into my TiVo Desktop folder. It's in there with Cookies, History, TransferCookies, & TransferQueue Files.

When I switched my computer date back to today the transfers failed again, despite adding this curl.conf file.

Am I missing something? Do I need to reboot? Again? This would probably be my 7th or 8th reboot in the last 24 hours... Arrrrgggghhhh. Frustrated. I need to have my dates right for my work.

Thanks, JW
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #56
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post
I downloaded this curl.conf file because mine was just plain missing. I opened it into my TiVo Desktop folder. It's in there with Cookies, History, TransferCookies, & TransferQueue Files.

When I switched my computer date back to today the transfers failed again, despite adding this curl.conf file.

Am I missing something? Do I need to reboot? Again? This would probably be my 7th or 8th reboot in the last 24 hours... Arrrrgggghhhh. Frustrated. I need to have my dates right for my work.

Thanks, JW
To quote myself from another thread

"You may be looking for it in the wrong place.

Desktop install in Program Files, but also sticks some stuff, including curl.conf, in the user profile section.

That morac post I link to shows how to find it for XP and Vista and up. "

For instance, here's where mine is on an XP machine

C:\Documents and Settings\unitron\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop

Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #57
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
This is working great for TiVo Desktop (Thanks!), but I still can't download with pyTivo. Any workarounds for that? wmcbrine?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...67#post9527267
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post9527530

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #58
degobahjunk

think I found it okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
To quote myself from another thread

"You may be looking for it in the wrong place.

Desktop install in Program Files, but also sticks some stuff, including curl.conf, in the user profile section.

That morac post I link to shows how to find it for XP and Vista and up. "

For instance, here's where mine is on an XP machine

C:\Documents and Settings\unitron\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Well, I just rebooted. Didn't help. I'm running XP Pro. My folder location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\JW\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop

So I think I found it Okay, but like I said (I think), I had no curl.conf file in there by the time I found these threads.

What I do have in there now is:
Cache (Folder)
Music (Folder)
Photos (Folder)
TransferRules (Folder)
Cookies (file)
curl.conf (file)
History (file)
ImageRotations (file) this one is new since my re-boot
TransferCookies (file)
TranferQueue (file)
TranferQueue.bad (file) this one is also new since my reboot

I'm about to give up & just change the stupid date every time I need to transfer.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #59
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post
Well, I just rebooted. Didn't help. I'm running XP Pro. My folder location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\JW\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
It looks like you found the correct folder. I'm assuming your Windows login name in is "JW"?

If it's not working, then either the curl.conf file is somehow corrupted or for some reason TiVo Desktop isn't calling curl.exe with the parameters it usually does.

You can check the later by looking at the logs\DownloadManager.log file and searching for "Desktop\curl.exe". The path to the curl.conf will be on that line after the "--config" parameter.

I'm not sure of a good way to test the former, other than to throw in some extra parameters into the curl.conf file and see if they are used. Parameters can be found here, just leave off the "--" when adding them.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
Rapha59

Just a quick checkin

Running :
- Windows 7
- Tivo Desktop V. 2.8.3 (412370)

Saturday, Tivo Customer Service CHAT says, "we found out about it this morning, and are trying to figure it out...try again in 24-48 hours..."

Just now, TiVo customer service CHAT says, "we're still working on figuring out what's going on..."

In the meantime, I searched here (tivocommunity.com) , found the "change the Date back to 02-13", tried that, and all is well. Well, I mean, ... under the circumstances.

So I sent the customer service chat rep the link to this thread and suggested he might want to check out the tivoCommunity.com.. as they seem to know a tad more than YOU at this point. (and prompted closed the chat)

SO THANK YOU !!

Raph
Rapha59 is offline   Reply With Quote