TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
jmyshral

kickstart 54 questions

I have a Tivo HD with a 1TB upgraded internal drive (no extended drive) and lifetime subscription. I started having some problems where the unit would freeze and then spontaneously reboot. I decided to run a Kickstart 54 test and here are my results so far:

Initial State Pass
Short Test Fail 7
Conveyance Test (jumps around between 10-90%)

The test has been running now for over 34 hours. How long should it take? Should I clear the test and restart? Why does the percentage complete go to 90% and then reset down to 10% or 20%?

What are the recommended next steps? Should I try another diagnostic test?
jmyshral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It shouldn't run that long and the short test already indicated a failure. Your drive is most likely failing. However you should eliminate a failing power supply, due to capaciitor plague, as the cause before replacing the drive. See if any of the electrolytic caps are bulging as shown here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894 (post #2)
It would also be good to measure at least the 12V (+/-10%) and 5V (+/-5%). These are the red and yellow wires coming from the supply board and ground is the black wires.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
jmyshral

re: kickstart 54 questions

After I exited the 34-hour Kickstart Conveyance test (by pulling the power), I cannot even get the unit to go back into the Kickstart menu. It gets stuck at "Welcome, Powering Up..."

I popped the cover and there were no bulging capacitors. The guy who upgraded the drive before me used a (noisy) Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive, so I am going to run SeaTools on it to check it but I suspect it is a bad drive.

I saw in another post that the recommended replacement drive right now is a 2TB WD20EURS for $120 from newegg, but I am a little confused that there are some special parameters via jmfs that need to be set to use this drive in a TivoHD.

Can somebody point me to the simplest step-by-step procedure to use a 2TB WD20EURS in a TivoHD? I do not have the original 160GB drive and do not have a temporary 1TB drive to use in the process, and may need an image.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyshral View Post
After I exited the 34-hour Kickstart Conveyance test (by pulling the power), I cannot even get the unit to go back into the Kickstart menu. It gets stuck at "Welcome, Powering Up..."

I popped the cover and there were no bulging capacitors. The guy who upgraded the drive before me used a (noisy) Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive, so I am going to run SeaTools on it to check it but I suspect it is a bad drive.

I saw in another post that the recommended replacement drive right now is a 2TB WD20EURS for $120 from newegg, but I am a little confused that there are some special parameters via jmfs that need to be set to use this drive in a TivoHD.

Can somebody point me to the simplest step-by-step procedure to use a 2TB WD20EURS in a TivoHD? I do not have the original 160GB drive and do not have a temporary 1TB drive to use in the process, and may need an image.

Thanks

Use promo code EMCXVXN24 between now and 02/13/13 to get a EURS for $100 at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Amazon may price match in a day or so.

If one thinks one needs to run KS 54, one should go ahead and open up the TiVo and hook the drive to a non-GigaByte brand motherboard PC and run the manufacturer's diagnostics instead.

Do you already have WinMFS installed on a PC?

You might be able to do a couple of tricks with that and bypass using jmfs altogether.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
jmyshral

re: kickstart 54 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Use promo code EMCXVXN24 between now and 02/13/13 to get a EURS for $100 at newegg

Do you already have WinMFS installed on a PC?

You might be able to do a couple of tricks with that and bypass using jmfs altogether.

Thanks for the promo code link - I purchased the drive from Newegg and it arrives tomorrow. I have WinMFS on my computer, and have also downloaded the TCD652160 image file that you generously posted on the "need an image" thread (11-28-2011, 11:46 PM #723). I also have a bootable JMFS and wdidle3.exe CD in case I need them.

But I need some pointers as to what "tricks" to follow. Here's my plan when the new drive arrives tomorrow (since my old drive is dead, and I don't have a temporary 1 TB drive to place the image on):

1. Install the new 2TB drive and run the WD diagnostics long test on the new drive just to make sure that it is OK.
2. Reboot and run WinMFS and select the new drive (it should be the only one?)
3. Restore the Tivo drive using the TCD652160 image file (what swap size? 128?)
4. Run Mfsadd to expand the size of the drive - are there any parameters to set here?
5. Turn MfsSupersize on
6. Anything else? Do I have to do the "Fix Divorce S3"?
7. Then close WinMFS and reboot with JMFS disk
8. run hdparm -M 128 <device>
9. reboot again with wdidle3 disk, and run wdidle3.exe (may not be required for newer WD20EURS but I will do it anyway
10. Install the drive back in the TivoHD and check to see that it holds 317 hours
11. If there are any programs in Now Playing, need to clear and delete everything
12. Check to see that there is no issue with the cablecard not pairing correctly; contact the cable company if required

Did I miss anything? I'm a little uncertain whether this will work or not so please let me know if there are other "tricks" that are required.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the promo code link - I purchased the drive from Newegg and it arrives tomorrow. I have WinMFS on my computer, and have also downloaded the TCD652160 image file that you generously posted on the "need an image" thread (11-28-2011, 11:46 PM #723). I also have a bootable JMFS and wdidle3.exe CD in case I need them.

But I need some pointers as to what "tricks" to follow. Here's my plan when the new drive arrives tomorrow (since my old drive is dead, and I don't have a temporary 1 TB drive to place the image on):

1. Install the new 2TB drive and run the WD diagnostics long test on the new drive just to make sure that it is OK.
2. Reboot and run WinMFS and select the new drive (it should be the only one?)
3. Restore the Tivo drive using the TCD652160 image file (what swap size? 128?)
4. Run Mfsadd to expand the size of the drive - are there any parameters to set here?
5. Turn MfsSupersize on
6. Anything else? Do I have to do the "Fix Divorce S3"?
7. Then close WinMFS and reboot with JMFS disk
8. run hdparm -M 128 <device>
9. reboot again with wdidle3 disk, and run wdidle3.exe (may not be required for newer WD20EURS but I will do it anyway
10. Install the drive back in the TivoHD and check to see that it holds 317 hours
11. If there are any programs in Now Playing, need to clear and delete everything
12. Check to see that there is no issue with the cablecard not pairing correctly; contact the cable company if required

Did I miss anything? I'm a little uncertain whether this will work or not so please let me know if there are other "tricks" that are required.

Thanks
First of all, you're going to be doing this on a PC that does not have a GigaByte brand motherboard, correct?

I have no idea what hdparm -M 128 does or why you'd need it.

I do know that hdparm has lots of ways to turn a drive into an expensive paperweight if one does not know what one is doing when using it.

Make yourself a copy of the current Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Go to the list of mirror sites at the bottom of the page, click on one of the icons to the immediate left of a site geographically near you.

It has both wdidle3 and the WD diagnostics, as well as a bunch of other stuff, so you can get the Intellipark check out of the way first and then do the long test.

Once that's out of the way, boot into Windows and start WinMFS.

Don't run anything else, especially anything that looks at hard drives.

Click on Select Drive, the EURS should be the only one showing.

Click mfsrestore, point it at the .tbk file you downloaded, as far as I know there's no need to select the "no optimized partition layout" option.

That's pretty much for early TiVos that have trouble with drives over 137GB.

Go ahead and select a swap size of 1024MB, it's cheap insurance.

It may look like it's quit working or frozen up, just let it be and it'll eventually finish.

When it says something about extra space and using it, say no.

Click on mfsinfo to make sure things look okay, that it doesn't throw any error messages.

Find wherever it let's you do supersizing and get that out of the way.

Shut things down, try the drive in the TiVo.

It'll start you in Guided Setup or complain about error 51 or both, just go along with whatever it wants, and get the TiVo set up for your situation.

You want to make sure that it's already on version 11.0k of the software (look on the sysinfo page), or that you've run it long enough for it to download that version and switch over to it.

Then you take the drive out of the TiVo and hook it back up and run WinMFS again.

This time you're going to do a back up of the drive with all of your settings and such.

After you do that, then you click on mfsadd and expand, telling it not to limit partition size to 1.2TB.

If it doesn't work right in the TiVo after that, there's a way to make the 2TB drive think it's a 1TB drive that will involve using a Linux utility on the MFS Live cd v1.4 (of which you should have a copy anyway--mfslive.org for the .iso)

We'll use the backup you made of the drive setup for your TiVo, and restore it to the drive that now thinks it's a 1TB, which will overwrite what was there and put a new 160GB image on it, and then we'll let WinMFS expand it up to that 1TB limit we created, then we'll exit and shutdown.

Then we'll boot up the MFS Live cd and change it back to thinking it's 2TB again.

Then we'll boot with the jmfs cd v1.04 and let it expand by adding a single partition.

But only if the all-WinMFS way of doing it doesn't work.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
jmyshral

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it doesn't work right in the TiVo after that, there's a way to make the 2TB drive think it's a 1TB drive that will involve using a Linux utility on the MFS Live cd v1.4 (of which you should have a copy anyway--mfslive.org for the .iso)

We'll use the backup you made of the drive setup for your TiVo, and restore it to the drive that now thinks it's a 1TB, which will overwrite what was there and put a new 160GB image on it, and then we'll let WinMFS expand it up to that 1TB limit we created, then we'll exit and shutdown.

Then we'll boot up the MFS Live cd and change it back to thinking it's 2TB again.

Then we'll boot with the jmfs cd v1.04 and let it expand by adding a single partition.

But only if the all-WinMFS way of doing it doesn't work.
I was able to follow the first half of your process, and the TiVo boots and shows 318 hours of HD available in system information, but it still complains about a hardware error 51 and needing to restart. After the first restart, it hung on "please wait, just a few more minutes" for 24 hours before I finally pulled the plug (literally).

So after a couple of days of restarting, I am still getting error 51, so I guess we need to move to plan B you describe above. What are the steps using the MFS Live CD and JMFS?

(By the way, the hdparm setting was for the acoustic setting to make the drive on its quietest setting, but from what I read this step and the wdidle3 are no longer required with this drive.)

Thanks...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I was able to follow the first half of your process, and the TiVo boots and shows 318 hours of HD available in system information, but it still complains about a hardware error 51 and needing to restart. After the first restart, it hung on "please wait, just a few more minutes" for 24 hours before I finally pulled the plug (literally).

So after a couple of days of restarting, I am still getting error 51, so I guess we need to move to plan B you describe above. What are the steps using the MFS Live CD and JMFS?

(By the way, the hdparm setting was for the acoustic setting to make the drive on its quietest setting, but from what I read this step and the wdidle3 are no longer required with this drive.)

Thanks...
Let me re-read your stuff above and then I'll PM you this evening with the hdparm procedure.

I want to be sure I tell it to you correctly and hesitate to put it out where it might fall into the wrong hands.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
unitron

Apologies, must postpone until tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
jmyshral

Fixed!

So after reading a bunch of posts about Error 51, I performed a Clear & Delete Everything and my TivoHD is now fully functional with 318 HD hours of recording. No need to run JMFS or any other programs.

Thanks unitron for your guidance!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
So after reading a bunch of posts about Error 51, I performed a Clear & Delete Everything and my TivoHD is now fully functional with 318 HD hours of recording. No need to run JMFS or any other programs.

Thanks unitron for your guidance!
So did you copy the 1TB to the 2TB and expand with jmfs or with WinMFS?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
jmyshral

I did the copy and expansion using WinMFS (never had to run JMFS at all). I followed your instructions as you laid them out below...

The only addition to these instructions is to add the last step:

Replace the drive back in the Tivo, and after you get an Error 51, run a "Clear and Delete Everything".

Quote:
Once that's out of the way, boot into Windows and start WinMFS.

Don't run anything else, especially anything that looks at hard drives.

Click on Select Drive, the EURS should be the only one showing.

Click mfsrestore, point it at the .tbk file you downloaded, as far as I know there's no need to select the "no optimized partition layout" option.

That's pretty much for early TiVos that have trouble with drives over 137GB.

Go ahead and select a swap size of 1024MB, it's cheap insurance.

It may look like it's quit working or frozen up, just let it be and it'll eventually finish.

When it says something about extra space and using it, say no.

Click on mfsinfo to make sure things look okay, that it doesn't throw any error messages.

Find wherever it let's you do supersizing and get that out of the way.

Shut things down, try the drive in the TiVo.

It'll start you in Guided Setup or complain about error 51 or both, just go along with whatever it wants, and get the TiVo set up for your situation.

You want to make sure that it's already on version 11.0k of the software (look on the sysinfo page), or that you've run it long enough for it to download that version and switch over to it.

Then you take the drive out of the TiVo and hook it back up and run WinMFS again.

This time you're going to do a back up of the drive with all of your settings and such.

After you do that, then you click on mfsadd and expand, telling it not to limit partition size to 1.2TB.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I did the copy and expansion using WinMFS (never had to run JMFS at all). I followed your instructions as you laid them out below...

The only addition to these instructions is to add the last step:

Replace the drive back in the Tivo, and after you get an Error 51, run a "Clear and Delete Everything".
It's odd that you should get an error 51 if you copied from the drive that was in your TiVo.

If you used someone else's image/truncated backup that came from a different machine with a different TiVo Service Number (because it's the mismatch that usually causes an error 51), then I'd expect it.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Surgeon

Smile

I just wanted to chime in and say that I had to follow the same procedures from above as the 1TB drive that was in my HD for the past 6 years totally died last week.

Everything worked like a champ and like jmyshral I also show 318 hours in HD now!

I want to confirm that using a different image (like the one you posted) definitely requires a "Clear & Delete Everything" step to fix the "Error 51" issues and also that even the latest WD drives still require the "wdidle3 /d" process. (My system would boot fine when applying power but would hang forever (due to the head-parking timeout) when doing a "restart" via the TiVo's system menus.

Thanks to unitron for the TCD652 image & the answers and to jmyshral for asking the right questions...

One remaining question: It it possible to still attach an external 1TB/2TB drive for even more space?

-Surgeon-
Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that I had to follow the same procedures from above as the 1TB drive that was in my HD for the past 6 years totally died last week.

Everything worked like a champ and like jmyshral I also show 318 hours in HD now!

I want to confirm that using a different image (like the one you posted) definitely requires a "Clear & Delete Everything" step to fix the "Error 51" issues and also that even the latest WD drives still require the "wdidle3 /d" process. (My system would boot fine when applying power but would hang forever (due to the head-parking timeout) when doing a "restart" via the TiVo's system menus.

Thanks to unitron for the TCD652 image & the answers and to jmyshral for asking the right questions...

One remaining question: It it possible to still attach an external 1TB/2TB drive for even more space?

-Surgeon-
The original Series 3, the TCD648250, with the OLED display, had an eSATA port on the back but using it wasn't enabled.

Some people figured out how to enable it before TiVo implemented that via a software update.

So the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, and various different models of hard drives were used.

However, beginnng with the next TiVo model released, the S3 HD, the TCD652160, that and all subsequent models have had a list of model numbers of the actual hard drive inside the external case, and only those drives are accepted.

It's a very short list, designed to accomodate the 500GB and 1TB Western Digital eSATA external drive models specifically intended for use with TiVos, so if you can get the TiVo to use an external in addition to a larger than stock internal, it'll have to be one of those very few model numbers on that list, so right there you're limited to either a 500GB or a 1TB.

However, the consensus seems to be that you can only use an external if the internal is the same size as the original one from the factory.

It probably has to do with the process by which the two are "married".

The stock TiVo comes with a certain number of partitions on the internal drive, call that number x, and it's expecting the first partition on the external to be number x+1 in the overall partition list, but on an expanded internal drive x+1 already exists.

Weaknees, and some individuals, seem to have figured out a way to do 2TB internal + 2TB external, but as they make money at it, they expect you to buy the whole thing from them as a package deal.

The way they make it work is kept secret, and is most certainly not "open source".

Probably better to either go with 2 TiVos or/and a PC with big drives running Windows Desktop or one of the open source alternatives to hold shows copied off of the TiVo(s) which you can copy back later to view at your convenience, provided, of course, that the cable company doesn't have the CCI bit set to defeat copying.