TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Vudu Disc to Digital

I had started a thread on whether or not movie collections are a thing of the past. The thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485896

So, this morning I am scanning my email and I got a link to the following from Vudu/Wal-Mart:

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

For a cool $2 per disc (Blu Ray and DVD), $5 to upgrade DVD to HD, Wal-Mart will store your discs in the cloud and you can then access them on any Vudu capable device, even your computer. I am sure this was authorized by the studios as it is in conjunction with Ultra Violet, but at first glance this seems to be exactly what I was talking about when I posted in the other thread. Seems the list is extensive, but not all titles are available yet, likely due to some studios not participating so far (EDIT: From their FAQ I see that Disney and Fox haven't signed on yet- expected from both).

I searched the first 25 of the movies I own and 16 of them were available for a 64% rate. Not bad for a start.

Seems like a really cool idea. This is just another reason Tivo needs to add Vudu functionality, which I have been saying for several years now.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had planned on trying it out last Saturday but I had to work. And then I was hoping to stop by this saturday, but now I have to work again. Saturday morning is the only time I will go by any of the Walmarts near me for this. They are too crowded any other time.

And also form what I've heard people were taking Hd DVDs as well.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Sumo Joel

March 2012 CNET article on Ultraviolet

I'd thought I'd share for discussion. Molly Wood, an Executive Editor over at CNET wrote an interesting article last month on Vudu and the Ultraviolet initiative. The link is below. Her take? [Cut and pasted below]

First major outing of Hollywood's UltraViolet digital streaming effort shows the scheme for what it really is: DRM all over again, and a way to make you pay for content over and over, too.

I had a direct link to the article, but since I only recently signed up (been lurking for years), I'm not yet allowed to post a link. I guess I'll try later. I also thought Ultraviolet would be interesting when I first heard about it, but when I read Molly Wood's points below, I had misgivings.

The title of the article is "UltraViolet: DRM by any other name still stinks".
Sumo Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

$2 per disc is a bit steep if you have a large collection of DVDs. Once they're in the cloud can you download them to a portable device like an iPad? Or is it streaming only?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
$2 per disc is a bit steep if you have a large collection of DVDs. Once they're in the cloud can you download them to a portable device like an iPad? Or is it streaming only?

Dan
It would be $5 for each DVD if you want a digital version in HDX. It's $2 for an SD digital version. Although it's $2 for a digital version of a BD.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
FAQs say it can be doownloaded if part of the ultraviolet initiative.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

So far I've had nothing but headaches with Ultraviolet, they have made it almost impossible to have a consistent interface or app to play their movies, and it's especially bad on iOS devices. Initially they had implied via the UV alliance that the Flixster app on iOS was going to be the "go to" app to watch with, but not all the studios agree, so for some movies I stream via Flixster, but for Young Adult I have to log in to the paramountmovies.com website AND then enter all my logon info via web browser to watch via safari, talk about a fiasco.

So this is the market the UV alliance has targeted with Walmart? heaven help us all, it's going to go down in flames with no one able to figure out how to watch anything.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've only bought two titles so far with UV. But those worked perfectly. Once I entered the UV info from the studio websites. The info was there right away at VUDU and the UV site. And also the free title I got for signing up at Flixter, showed up right away at VUDU and the UV site.

Plus the titles I had purchased from VUDU in 2008 and 2009, showed up on the UV site as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Beryl

I have a list of BD that I want to digitize. I NEVER, EVER go to Walmart and dread going. I wish there was an outdoor drop off.

How easy is it to get in and out of Walmart to get this done?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still haven't gotten around to bringing some titles in for the Disc to Digital program. In my area, Walmart isn't very busy in the morning before 10AM. That is when I typically go there to shop since there aren't any lines.

Even at 2 Am there are lines but at 9AM it's usually pretty much dead at the one near me.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
celtic pride

I really would like to see tivo add VUDU,but only because i would like to rent new releases in HDX! I personally could care less about ultraviolet as i would never use it. I need tivo to add vudu because i dont want to buy another device to view movies on, and i would prefer to use my tivo boxes to use vudu to view movies instead of my computer.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've got too many devices that play VUDU content so that isn't an issue for me. I've been watching VUDU content for almost five years now and it seems like they keep adding it to more devices that I already have. So maybe it will show up on TiVo at some point.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I've got too many devices that play VUDU content so that isn't an issue for me. I've been watching VUDU content for almost five years now and it seems like they keep adding it to more devices that I already have. So maybe it will show up on TiVo at some point.
I've given up on waiting for TiVo to offer or update streaming. The only thing I want is TiVo Xfinity on demand streaming to make it to my area. Everything else I can get on my BD player or ATV.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
pilotbob

Actually, you are now able to do the Disc-To-Digital without going into the store. They just added this recently.

I also would like to see TiVo add VuDu app... but I do have other ways to view VuDu and UV stuff. Most of the popular smart tv's also include VuDu as well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
smc03

Just signed up for this last week, love not having to worry about keeping up with my DVDs anymore.
smc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Bigg

Media collections are dead, although this mess isn't the answer. I don't really have a media collection, games for a couple consoles, videos, and a couple movies all fit on one small shelf. The future is just renting. Cheaper, easier, less crap to keep track of.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote