TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #61
Thos19

Wow. When I was with Comcast, it was $1.50/mo for the first one and the second one was free for my S3 OLED. At $5.99/mo, you've already paid for a new M-Card after 6 months !

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #62
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
Wow. When I was with Comcast, it was $1.50/mo for the first one and the second one was free for my S3 OLED. At $5.99/mo, you've already paid for a new M-Card after 6 months !

Thos.
Actually, it's supposed to be the other way around. According to their rate sheet, no charge for the first card in a device. $1.50/mo for the second card in the same device.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #63
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Are Verizon CableCARDs really going up to $5.99/mo ea.?
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r278...rice-going-up-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #64
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That link does not provide any definitive answers just speculation, Is the $5.99 a typo? or has anyone seen their pricing increase?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #65
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That link does not provide any definitive answers just speculation, Is the $5.99 a typo? or has anyone seen their pricing increase?
If it is like the change from $2.99 to $3.99, it will only affect people if they sign up now or when you change your package and renew your contract.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #66
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I had 3 Cablecards with Fios, but I was only using 2 of them, so I shipped one back.

When they received the one I sent back, instead of removing a Cablecard from my account, they ADDED one. So I have 2 Cablecards, but they're charging me for 4. I've been trying to get this straightened out since August, and they still haven't fixed it.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #67
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post

Thos.
When I was with Comcast I had six cable cards for my three S3(OLED) boxes. But they charged me zero for all six cards. It was a shock when I went to FiOS and I got charged $2.99 per card. And then they went to $3.99 a card.
I hope the cable card price doesn't go up to $5.99 for existing users. IF so I really need a six tuner TiVo and the Mini to be released soon. Then I can drop down to one cable card. When the mini gets released at least I can go down form three to two cable cards.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #68
Tivoitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yep some have tried. They won't work. In a nutshell, it has to come from the cableco.
So I wound up buying two and trying myself. I got various answers from Verizon tech support: some saying it was possible and asking me for all the cablecard info, and then trying to enter it into the Verizon systems, while others claimed I had to have specially made Verizon cablecards or that it simply wasn't possible to use outside cablecards. After several hours, it was apparent that it wasn't working. I tried again a couple of days later, and this time while I was waiting for a tech, the TiVo tuned in one the local channels. It's a limited set, but it is all the local channels, so I'm satisfied enough to return one of my Verizon cards. I had two Verizon m-cards driving my two THD's, and just bought a new Tivo Premiere 4, so now I'll keep one Verizon m-card to drive my Tivo Premiere 4, and run my two THD's with the eBay sourced m-cards.
Tivoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #69
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoitis View Post
So I wound up buying two and trying myself. I got various answers from Verizon tech support: some saying it was possible and asking me for all the cablecard info, and then trying to enter it into the Verizon systems, while others claimed I had to have specially made Verizon cablecards or that it simply wasn't possible to use outside cablecards. After several hours, it was apparent that it wasn't working. I tried again a couple of days later, and this time while I was waiting for a tech, the TiVo tuned in one the local channels. It's a limited set, but it is all the local channels, so I'm satisfied enough to return one of my Verizon cards. I had two Verizon m-cards driving my two THD's, and just bought a new Tivo Premiere 4, so now I'll keep one Verizon m-card to drive my Tivo Premiere 4, and run my two THD's with the eBay sourced m-cards.
Those stations are broadcast Clear QAM and the only thing your CableCard is doing is mapping the actual channel numbers of the signals to the virtual channel numbers that Verizon uses. If you were to pull the CableCard and have only the coax running to you box and run a manual channel scan, you'd find the same channels you get with the CableCard plugged in, they would just be on random station numbers. However, channels located via the manual scan would not be associated with the guide data.

If you're happy with the clear QAM channels only, those CableCards will be a nice savings over the monthly fee.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #70
Tivoitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Those stations are broadcast Clear QAM and the only thing your CableCard is doing is mapping the actual channel numbers of the signals to the virtual channel numbers that Verizon uses. If you were to pull the CableCard and have only the coax running to you box and run a manual channel scan, you'd find the same channels you get with the CableCard plugged in, they would just be on random station numbers. However, channels located via the manual scan would not be associated with the guide data.

If you're happy with the clear QAM channels only, those CableCards will be a nice savings over the monthly fee.
Ahhh ... good to know, thanks! I'm just glad that my purchases won't go to waste.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #71
satyenshah

Time Warner is pulling the same nonsense as Verizon. If you are receiving a promotion that includes a cable-box, then your effective rate will increase if you return to a box and switch to the CableCard.

Time Warner's argument is that the "bundled offers" regulated by the FCC apply to "packages" but not limited period "package promotions". So, if the cable company offers you a promotion lasting 2-years that includes a cable-box, then that is not a "bundled offer" so your rights to switch to a cablecard don't apply.
satyenshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #72
audiodane

Quote:
So I wound up buying two and trying myself.
It's a limited set, but it is all the local channels, so I'm satisfied enough to return one of my Verizon cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post

This is exactly what I'm wanting.. is to just get the channel map data for the 5 free broadcast channels (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, fox) .. I'm on Knology but someone pointed me to this thread.

I'm more than happy to purchase some CC's on ebay just to get the above-mentioned 5 channel map data on my S3HD. Question is, is that really all there is to it? Do I need to make sure and buy a particular brand or model number? Several years ago all I needed to do on my S3OLED and my dad's S3HD was to go say, "use digital lineup, get cablecards later," and I could get those 5 channels immediately.. For some reason the same trick does not work now, 2 yrs later, on another S3HD. I don't know why. The S3OLED and other S3HD both still tune those channels just fine.

I have a theory that there may be stale channel map info from the previous owner that I cannot seem to wipe even when re-running guided setup on my newer S3HD.. but that's just a wild guess..

..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #73
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyenshah View Post
Time Warner's argument is that the "bundled offers" regulated by the FCC apply to "packages" but not limited period "package promotions". So, if the cable company offers you a promotion lasting 2-years that includes a cable-box, then that is not a "bundled offer" so your rights to switch to a cablecard don't apply.
And I thought the Comcast position was BS. Have you challenged with the FCC?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #74
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Do I need to make sure and buy a particular brand or model number?
You need whatever brand your cable company uses.. i.e. Motorola or the other one.. AFAIK, other than that, they're all the same technology wise.. (but each cable company has the IDs of "theirs", which is why you can't get them registered for premium channels for example).

I bought a used Tivo (for parts), and it had cable cards in it.. Now I've ended up mixing at least one of those in with the ones I'm paying for, I think. My Tivo HD was getting the 'expanded basic' up until recently (a week or so ago), but now e.g. Comedy Central is a black screen. I haven't switched cable cards in a few weeks…. so I wonder if I have one of the 'wrong' ones in there that was finally eventually locked out.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #75
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I have a feeling that on Comcast you'd get stuck on the 'Acquiring Channels' swirl screen if the card is not authorized. I've seen this before on multiple Tivos, so I'm not sure you can get a map with a purchased card on that system. But if the card's cheap enough I guess it's worth a shot.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #76
lessd

If the cable card is set up already for your system (has the correct channel map) it will work for about 30 to 45 days, after that time the card will go dead because of an internal timer. This is to prevent someone activating a cable card with all channels than putting in a trap so that the cable co. can't communicate with the card than you cancel all but basic, for about 30 to 45 days you will get the full line up as the cable co. can't turn your card off.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #77
audiodane

Yea, I'm real confused by all this.. the ebay cards that Tivoitis purchased.. did he then activate them with the cableco? If so, then alright.. I'm just trying to get channel mapping for the free broadcast channels, since that's primarily what we watch. The question is whether I can get a cablecard and use it just to get the free broadcast HD channel map information without having to go through the cableco at all.

I spoke with knology about it yesterday and the story is that I need a "digital outlet" for each cable card.. So if I need three cablecards, they'll charge me three "digital outlet" fees ($10/mo) plus the cablecard fee ($1.95/mo).. They say that each "digital outlet" enables them to communicate with its respective cablecard.

Obviously I'm not signing on to that with them JUST to get the right free broadcast channels..

Here's what's really weird. The Tivo S3OLED and Panasonic TCP50G10 TV that were both bought about the same time (2009) can both tune the free broadcast channels 901-905 (cbs/nbc/abc/pbs/fox) just fine. Tivo and TV both.. In the bedroom, neither the S3HD nor the TV (toshiba 40e210u) can tune 901-905. When I try.. nothing. Bring the S3OLED back to the bedroom, it can tune 901-905 just fine, so NOT a problem with the coax itself.. And btw, NO devices have cablecards.. S3OLED did for a week, Panasonic TV never did.. S3HD I don't know, I'm the 2nd or 3rd owner. It might have had one installed in the past, I have no way to know..

So.. *IF* Knology has moved channels around, why does my TV and S3OLED still tune them, if they don't have any cablecards to get updates from?? If knology has NOT moved them, then why can't at least the TV in the bedroom pick them up? ... That continues to absolutely baffle me..

..dane
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #78
HerronScott

Have you tried a channel scan and then making sure those channels are selected?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #79
Tivoitis

Quote:
Yea, I'm real confused by all this.. the ebay cards that Tivoitis purchased.. did he then activate them with the cableco? If so, then alright.. I'm just trying to get channel mapping for the free broadcast channels, since that's primarily what we watch. The question is whether I can get a cablecard and use it just to get the free broadcast HD channel map information without having to go through the cableco at all.

I spoke with knology about it yesterday and the story is that I need a "digital outlet" for each cable card.. So if I need three cablecards, they'll charge me three "digital outlet" fees ($10/mo) plus the cablecard fee ($1.95/mo).. They say that each "digital outlet" enables them to communicate with its respective cablecard.

Obviously I'm not signing on to that with them JUST to get the right free broadcast channels..

Here's what's really weird. The Tivo S3OLED and Panasonic TCP50G10 TV that were both bought about the same time (2009) can both tune the free broadcast channels 901-905 (cbs/nbc/abc/pbs/fox) just fine. Tivo and TV both.. In the bedroom, neither the S3HD nor the TV (toshiba 40e210u) can tune 901-905. When I try.. nothing. Bring the S3OLED back to the bedroom, it can tune 901-905 just fine, so NOT a problem with the coax itself.. And btw, NO devices have cablecards.. S3OLED did for a week, Panasonic TV never did.. S3HD I don't know, I'm the 2nd or 3rd owner. It might have had one installed in the past, I have no way to know..

So.. *IF* Knology has moved channels around, why does my TV and S3OLED still tune them, if they don't have any cablecards to get updates from?? If knology has NOT moved them, then why can't at least the TV in the bedroom pick them up? ... That continues to absolutely baffle me..

..dane
I didn't/couldn't activate my eBay M-cards. I'm assuming I receive just these local channels in clear QAM and that's why I can see them on my Tivo HD's, but I don't really have any test equipment to verify. I do keep one active card that I rent from Verizon, so that may help with my situation. Your mileage may vary, but if I were you, I'd buy just one card off eBay and give it a shot.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #80
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Have you tried a channel scan and then making sure those channels are selected?
Yup.. In a channel scan, they don't even show up.. I will have to look again, but I think they DO show up on different xx-yyy channels, but not 901-905. I'm too scared of loosing them to try a fresh channel scan on my S3OLED.

I just checked the panasonic TV again.. no longer 901-905. So clearly the channel map has changed. Only my S3OLED at this point maintains the 901-905 mapping. But it doesn't have a cable card. It did for about a week, a year ago, but not since.. weird..

..dane
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #81
audiodane

Quote:
I didn't/couldn't activate my eBay M-cards. I'm assuming I receive just these local channels in clear QAM and that's why I can see them on my Tivo HD's, but I don't really have any test equipment to verify. I do keep one active card that I rent from Verizon, so that may help with my situation. Your mileage may vary, but if I were you, I'd buy just one card off eBay and give it a shot.
I'm getting close to that.. Don't know what brand I should buy though. I work 30 minutes in the opposite direction from the Knology local office, so I will have to go by there a day I'm local to see if they will show me what brand they currently use.. if it matters..

Might just buy and try and just see what happens after all.. $10 ain't much.

..dane
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #82
Bigg

I'd love to have FIOS, and have the "problem" of paying $6 per cablecard. Comcast is $7.50 per cablecard, but they have a discounted rate for the dual cablecard TiVos, I think it's like $1.50 for the second one.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #83
HerronScott

Quote:
Yup.. In a channel scan, they don't even show up.. I will have to look again, but I think they DO show up on different xx-yyy channels, but not 901-905. I'm too scared of loosing them to try a fresh channel scan on my S3OLED.

I just checked the panasonic TV again.. no longer 901-905. So clearly the channel map has changed. Only my S3OLED at this point maintains the 901-905 mapping. But it doesn't have a cable card. It did for about a week, a year ago, but not since.. weird..

..dane
So I think you answered your own question although I find it interesting that the S3OLED has maintained the cablecard channel map without the cablecard and with the channel mapping being changed.

I guess you could try that with the S3HD and get a cablecard for a month or 2 and then discontinue the service and see if it also returns the clear QAM channels and mapping.

Scott
Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #84
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
So I think you answered your own question although I find it interesting that the S3OLED has maintained the cablecard channel map without the cablecard and with the channel mapping being changed.

I guess you could try that with the S3HD and get a cablecard for a month or 2 and then discontinue the service and see if it also returns the clear QAM channels and mapping.

Scott
Unfortunately I never wrote down the 'actual' channels before.. So I don't "really know" much of anything. I just know my TV can't tune 901-905 when it used-to-could (how's that for good southern grammer), but my s3oled can. I'm "this close" to just buying one or two off ebay and just try 'em..

..dane
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #85
audiodane

Well I went ahead and bought a Motorola card today for under $7 shipped.. We'll see how that pans out first.. Not a whole lot to loose for less than 10 bucks.. If it gives me the free broadcast channel-mapping, then I am an extremely happy camper!

(Since I've kind of derailed this thread, I'm going to post the same update to a more on-topic thread and stop pooping in this one.. Sorry guys!)

..dane
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #86
HerronScott

Without getting it activated (which it's unlikely you'll be able to do), I'm not sure how it will help but let us know!

Scott
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #87
audiodane

Scott, I totally agree. I really don't know what I'm doing. Some posts lead me to believe it may get the channel map regardless, but only enable channel decryption after pairing and activation.. Other posts seem to indicate that absolutely nothing will work until it is paired and activated. So I really have no idea. I'm literally "shooting in the dark" here, because the bullet is just so cheap, with a potential for high return.. If it does work, great! If not, I may or may not try one more brand before tossing in the towel..

I will certainly keep everyone posted. But in my other thread from now on.. This thread was originally for Verizon stuff, not fee-less cablecards.. The other thread is more on-topic..

cheers,
..dane
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #88
lessd

Quote:
Scott, I totally agree. I really don't know what I'm doing. Some posts lead me to believe it may get the channel map regardless, but only enable channel decryption after pairing and activation.. Other posts seem to indicate that absolutely nothing will work until it is paired and activated. So I really have no idea. I'm literally "shooting in the dark" here, because the bullet is just so cheap, with a potential for high return.. If it does work, great! If not, I may or may not try one more brand before tossing in the towel..

I will certainly keep everyone posted. But in my other thread from now on.. This thread was originally for Verizon stuff, not fee-less cablecards.. The other thread is more on-topic..

cheers,
..dane
If the card was once used on your type of cable system it will work for you for maybe 30 to 60 days, if it had been used on another system it will not re-map so you would be out of luck. You can test this out if you have two cable card TiVos, just switch the cable card between TiVos and see what you get and don't get.
This cable card crap was not put on us if it would have been easy to defeat by purchasing an E-Bay cable card, and they would cost much more than $10 if they did work; think what one would be saving, for some it would over $8/month. Bad people would be breaking into homes to steal cable cards, cable cards are as safe as digital cable boxes, as far as I know nobody has broken into any digital cable box as they did with the old analog cable boxes.

Last edited by lessd : 02-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #89
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

He's not trying to use a card to get encrypted channels, just the maps. There's nothing the cableCo is out for by providing the maps for local channels in the clear.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #90
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
He's not trying to use a card to get encrypted channels, just the maps. There's nothing the cableCo is out for by providing the maps for local channels in the clear.
That may be what you think, but the cable co head end will not map any cable card until it is registered with the head end than paired (after the card is registered with the cable co the mapping may take place before it is paired), after that if you put that card into another cable card device the map will stay in the cable card letting you get the correct non encrypted channels, but as I said if within 30 to 60 days the card does not get any refresh command from the head end it will shut down. If the person you get the card from is in your area so the card is mapped to your area, and that seller does not report a lost cable card and keeps paying for the card it will work, not too likely to happen that way.