TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
tiams

Girls S2E5 One Man's Trash

I wanted to make a single episode thread because the full season thread seems to be for threadcrappers who don't even watch the show.

I liked this self-contained episode. The character of Hannah seems like a real person. She is not completely likeable (nor are real people).
I agree with what Sepinwall says about this episode being like an author writing a touching short story that focuses on the heroine and one of her personality traits. It did feel very literary. Or cinematic - it really did look like a Nancy Meyers movie. Actually, it felt like a play to me.

Joshua is the anti-Adam and I wonder how Adam would have reacted to Hannah when she opened up and spilled all her inner thoughts and feelings. It turned Joshua off completely and he was immediately done; but I think Adam would have eaten it up.

I love how Lena is so willing to be naked and show the world her less than perfect body. I love that she wears unflattering clothes like real women do.

One other thing Sepinwall points out : that final shot of Hannah walking away, which felt very '70s New York cinema.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...Ix8pVbl3ZP2.99
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Posting that you do not like a show that you watched is not threadcrapping. This is not "happy fun TV show talk"

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Posting that you do not like a show that you watched is not threadcrapping. This is not "happy fun TV show talk"
I was referring to people who claim to hate the entire show, not individual episodes. Discussion and criticism of an episode (what you liked and what you didn't) is what this forum is for.

Please use this thread for actual discussion of this episode.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

That's why I like this show. It feels like I'm watching real people. There isn't really anything going on that hasn't happened to me or to someone I know. Every bit of it is believable. I don't like the characters very much either but I also don't like a lot of people. I think the unlikable characters are part of the shows charm.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I was referring to people who claim to hate the entire show, not individual episodes. Discussion and criticism of an episode (what you liked and what you didn't) is what this forum is for.

Please use this thread for actual discussion of this episode.
Are you new here? That is how half the threads go. Granted, sometimes it happens because a show has a strong opening season or opening few episodes, but even still you find people who come in to say how much they hate a show. Sometimes, they even admit that they hate it but want to keep watching until it ends.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I was curious about all the buzz and this was my first episode. I'll give it a couple more tries but I'm not sure a bunch of nude scenes of a woman who looks like an Idaho potato with terrible tattoo choices is my cup of tea.

I wanted to punch the angry cafe owner dude in the face just about every time he opened his mouth.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

An odd episode for sure. My wife and I kept thinking it would all be a daydream or something. Something about the way the guy was acting made it all seem a bit unreal.

And while I think Lena Dunham is exceptionally brave, the excessive nudity in this episode felt a bit forced.

Coffee shop guy was a real a**hole and uncomfortable to watch.
O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Ment

I'm a fan of the series and didn't like this episode because it was self-contained. Meeting some guy and shacking up with him for the day is more Jessah than Hannah. The sexual situations Hannah gets involved in are because her distorted expectations of her roles or avoiding confrontation.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
An odd episode for sure. My wife and I kept thinking it would all be a daydream or something. Something about the way the guy was acting made it all seem a bit unreal.

And while I think Lena Dunham is exceptionally brave, the excessive nudity in this episode felt a bit forced.

Coffee shop guy was a real a**hole and uncomfortable to watch.
I got the "it's a daydream" feeling too. Maybe it was supposed to feel that way because Joshua's life and surroundings were so unreal and alien to Hannah.

Ray was being a jerk. I loved watching it though because I'm afraid I would react the same way if someone accused me of something I had not done.