TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
donnoh

Premiere 4 No Suggestions

Obviously Tivo has a problem with the Tivo 4 and recording suggestions. I've heard fixes that require turning off the SDV box for a few hours to fix it.

We shouldn't have to do a damn thing to make this basic function work.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
gargoyle999

Interesting. I didn't know there was a known issue. I've had a XL4 going for a couple weeks now and it hasn't recorded any suggestions. Thought maybe because it was new and trying to figure out my likes.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

I have a Premiere XL, not the 4, and *love* my suggestions. But after switching cable providers recently and finding that the new one used a TA, I bumped into this very issue and looked into possible solutions. There are at least a couple other threads in this forum and elsewhere on it. The general consensus seems to be that TiVo needs to fix something that they've got wrong which prevents population of the list of suggestions. Once you disconnect the TA (power down or pulling the USB both seem to work) for a few hours, you'll once more find suggestions listed and then some will subsequently record.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
DaveDFW

I really like suggestions but not so much that I would keep disconnecting the tuning adapter.

Like I've written previously, while the S3 and H3 also experience the issue, the Premiere is a current product for which Tivo is still releasing software udpates. It shouldn't be too much to ask that a current product actually receive bug fixes.

My only hope is that sufficient numbers of people will complain so that Tivo might actually rewrite whatever is broken with their software.

Please, Tivo, stop spending your limited development resources adding useless apps and instead fix core functionality.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
DiverDownBrian

I posted a thread about this around a month ago.

Several posters recommended using a timer to switch the TA off for a period of time each night.

I finally got around to trying it last night and it worked like a champ.

I agree that Tivo should fix it. But there is a workaround.
DiverDownBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
jjd_87

Mine seems to be recording a lot of Music Choice channels lately. Is there any way to thumbs down a channel. I know you can thumbs up a channel but it wont let me one.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Mine seems to be recording a lot of Music Choice channels lately. Is there any way to thumbs down a channel. I know you can thumbs up a channel but it wont let me one.
Using thumbs up on a channel merely marks it as a favorite. That way you can, if you choose, limit your Guide to just your favorite channels.

Since I personally consider the idea of "music channels" incompatible with television, I went into my settings and unchecked all of them, telling my TiVo I don't have them. I did that with numerous others I'll never watch, including the SD versions of those which are present in HD. If you've said you don't have them, they won't record via Suggestions. But you can always tune directly to them should you wish.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
Using thumbs up on a channel merely marks it as a favorite. That way you can, if you choose, limit your Guide to just your favorite channels.

Since I personally consider the idea of "music channels" incompatible with television, I went into my settings and unchecked all of them, telling my TiVo I don't have them. I did that with numerous others I'll never watch, including the SD versions of those which are present in HD. If you've said you don't have them, they won't record via Suggestions. But you can always tune directly to them should you wish.
Eh. I don't wanna do that because my wife uses them from time to time. Guess I'll just keep the recordings.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Mr. Coffee

I've also complained to Tivo about this.

They basically shot me down, saying it was a 'flag' that the TA had to say not to record suggestions.

However, the same TA works fine with my 2 tuner Premiere. I call shenanigans.

Tivo really needs to fix this.
Mr. Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
They basically shot me down, saying it was a 'flag' that the TA had to say not to record suggestions.
One of the issues that prevents us from getting traction from Tivo support is that the Tivo CSR's don't understand the difference between a speculative tune request being denied and the complete failure of a Tivo box to attempt recording suggestions.

Yes, the cable company can deny a request for a speculative tune, but our problem is that certain Tivos attached to tuning adapters make no attempt to record suggestions.

When a Tivo box actually populates its suggestion list in response to a user detaching a tuning adapter, the Tivos have no issues recording those populated suggestions once the tuning adapter is reattached.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote