TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
audiodane

S2DT lifetime .. sell w/ 80GB or upgrade to 1TB first?

So I have an S2DT (w/ lifetime) that needs a new HDD.

I *have* a spare 80GB drive from an old S2 "nightlite" model that I have since sold..

Options:
  1. use the spare 80GB drive to repair, and sell w/ 80GB.
  2. buy a new 1TB drive w/ pata adapter to repair, and sell w/ 1TB.

Weird thing is, it doesn't seem like eBay prices right now have ANYTHING to do with the size HDD .. A 1TB HDD will cost me around $100 right now.. So to make it worth my time and effort of course I'd need to mark up the resale cost more than that.. say $125 ish .. but given that it's only an S2DT, not an HD model, I'm not sure the market would bear the price hike. Given that current eBay sales are ranging between $150 and $275 largely regardless of HDD size, I'm wondering if it really matters?

I'd love to gather some replies about what I should do (and why)..

And in case anyone's interested, I can have it ready to ship in a couple days using my spare 80GB drive (just say the word)..

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

No brainer - sell it with the 80GB drive. You will never get the $100 cost of the 1TB drive when you sell it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
audiodane

Thanks for your input..

Next question, I plugged it in this morning to double-check its status, and ... oh, "Product in Good Standing."
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am going to call tivo later this morning to see if it even qualifies for a $99 lifetime upgrade. I have no money in this tivo, it was given to me with a bad HDD. If I can fix and lifetime it for $99, and sell for $150, great. But my margins are shrinking..
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Guess now I know why they didn't want any money for it.

thanks,
..dane
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
So I have an S2DT (w/ lifetime) that needs a new HDD.

I *have* a spare 80GB drive from an old S2 "nightlite" model that I have since sold..

Options:
  1. use the spare 80GB drive to repair, and sell w/ 80GB.
  2. buy a new 1TB drive w/ pata adapter to repair, and sell w/ 1TB.

Weird thing is, it doesn't seem like eBay prices right now have ANYTHING to do with the size HDD .. A 1TB HDD will cost me around $100 right now.. So to make it worth my time and effort of course I'd need to mark up the resale cost more than that.. say $125 ish .. but given that it's only an S2DT, not an HD model, I'm not sure the market would bear the price hike. Given that current eBay sales are ranging between $150 and $275 largely regardless of HDD size, I'm wondering if it really matters?

I'd love to gather some replies about what I should do (and why)..

And in case anyone's interested, I can have it ready to ship in a couple days using my spare 80GB drive (just say the word)..

cheers,
..dane
The series 2 isn't going to support a 1Tb drive anyhow, at best maybe a 500-750Gb drive
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
cannonz

Quote:
The series 2 isn't going to support a 1Tb drive anyhow, at best maybe a 500-750Gb drive
SHHHHHH! don't tell my two S2DT's that do.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
audiodane

well at this point I'm about to throw it out. it's *NOT* lifetime'd like I thought it was..
And I spoke with Tivo this morning and apparently the $99 lifetime option is not available for this unit..
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
audiodane

apparently they can still fetch around $50 on eBay even without subscriptions.. I'll use the spare 80 that I have, and go from there..

cheers,
..dane
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
moedaman

Quote:
well at this point I'm about to throw it out. it's *NOT* lifetime'd like I thought it was..
And I spoke with Tivo this morning and apparently the $99 lifetime option is not available for this unit..
How much was the lifetime price for this unit then? Honestly, I can't see you getting $50 out of an old series 2 if the buyer has to pay for a subscription afterword. I just bought a complete 40gb series 2 with lifetime and the wireless G adaptor for $50 in December. And my local craigslist has a few series 2 w/lifetime for $75 - $100. The $100 series 2 has a 750gb hdd, but is missing the remote.

I feel that non-lifetime series 2 models are only worth what the parts are worth. All of the non-lifetime series 2 I see for sale locally are priced $35 or below.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
audiodane

Yeah, I did some more looking.. $35 + shipping is a more typical price on eBay. $50 were for "new in box" units without subscription. A ton of units sold in the $30-35 + sh range.. broken and non-broken.. all without lifetime.

New plan. Sell the box as-is for $30+sh. Sell the tcd540 80GB drive as-is for $25+sh (based on past sales) .. As you suggested, the parts are worth more than the whole..

..dane
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Yeah, I did some more looking.. $35 + shipping is a more typical price on eBay. $50 were for "new in box" units without subscription. A ton of units sold in the $30-35 + sh range.. broken and non-broken.. all without lifetime.

New plan. Sell the box as-is for $30+sh. Sell the tcd540 80GB drive as-is for $25+sh (based on past sales) .. As you suggested, the parts are worth more than the whole..

..dane
Hopefully you can get something out of it. I tried to give away a perfectly working unsub single-tuner S2 and found no takers. Good thing, 'cuz I just had to cannabalize it's power supply for another unit.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
audiodane

Ha! Now that's an idea.. Strip it down and sell it for parts! I think you're on to something here..

Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Ha! Now that's an idea.. Strip it down and sell it for parts! I think you're on to something here..
The problem there is that about the only thing worth much is the power supply.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
audiodane

Oh well, seemed like a good idea to me.