Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
SeanC
ECT

SNL 2/9/13 Justin Bieber; Justin Bieber

Superbowl XLVII
Justin Bieber monologue (Whoopie Goldberg cameo)
The Californians
Bieber Look-alikes
The Moroccans of Mulholland Drive
Justin Bieber performs
Weekend Update
..Top Stories
..King Richard III's Best Friends from Growing Up
..More Top Stories
..Corey the One Black Guy in Every Commercial
..More Top Stories
Angie and Billy
The Miley Cyrus Show
You Said "Glice!"
A Sexy Valentine's Day Message from Justin Bieber to You
Justin Bieber performs
Booker T. Washington High Valentine's Dance

I dunno what Bieber or his people are thinking with that haircut, I can't be the only one that thinks of Vanilla Ice with him in that ridiculous pompadour.

I'm not a JB fan, but I was hoping that he would be able to do well, I don't think he did.

As usual, I didn't think there were any stand out skits. The part of the Superbowl skit where they kept throwing to the guy on the sidelines was funny. Bieber's monologue was pretty boring. I usually enjoy the Californians but this on fell flat for me. Bieber Look-alikes was a yawn. The series of fake Bravo commercials for BS shows was pretty good though.

In general the whole show was pretty Meh for me.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Cold open (Superbowl) was pretty funny. I hate "Best Friends from Growing Up", in all incarnations and this one was no better. "Corey the One Black Guy" was very funny. I quit after "Angie and Billy" but I have it recorded so I'll get back to it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
morac
Cat God

I could could take or leave it. Justin was okay at times and I like how he has a self-depreciating sense of humor, but he messed up a few times. The whole "you said glice" skit was kind of ruined because Justin said "glass".

Cold open started off dull, but got better.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I felt like, at least in the first part it, they wrote to play to his fans. Which made it not funny.

Although I laughed at Keenan during the Kwanzaa thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Ment

Beebs can sing but he's no Justin..
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Justin Bieber has a problem. He's aging out of the tween demographic. They already got One Direction to replace him. It's yet to be seen if he can transition to selling music to adults.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It seemed that Kenan was in all the best bits this week... I even found myself wishing he had more to do in The Californians.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
getreal
postcrastinator

I don't get JB. In my opinion he is NOT a good singer. He is a successful teeny-bopper marketing phenom, so he could quit today and never work another day in his life. He already has over $100m.

Oh, and I thought his haircut was the same as Miley Cyrus' latest 'do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I don't get JB. In my opinion he is NOT a good singer. He is a successful teeny-bopper marketing phenom, so he could quit today and never work another day in his life. He already has over $100m.

Not fan of Bieber as well but he's a good vocals, after all it was youtube where he got his start as a little kid with pipes. Perhaps you are saying he is not a good artist which I would agree.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Awful. Just awful.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I dunno what Bieber or his people are thinking with that haircut, I can't be the only one that thinks of Vanilla Ice with him in that ridiculous pompadour.
No, I think see him more as a very pretty version of Annie Lennox.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

The Ellen joke was funny because its true.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
dtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Justin Bieber has a problem. He's aging out of the tween demographic. They already got One Direction to replace him. It's yet to be seen if he can transition to selling music to adults.
I don't know much about music and talent, but I've read on other forums that Bieber is actually talented, and if he makes the right decisions, he can be like the other Justin.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I can say with certainty he doesn't have an ounce of the comic timing JT has.

He tries way too hard, so maybe that's fixable.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I can say with certainty he doesn't have an ounce of the comic timing JT has.

He tries way too hard, so maybe that's fixable.
JT is at minimum a quadruple threat. No fair comparing anyone to that.

JB can sing and dance, and he doesn't really need to try to do more than that. He just needs to figure out how to skew older.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
JT is at minimum a quadruple threat. No fair comparing anyone to that.

JB can sing and dance, and he doesn't really need to try to do more than that. He just needs to figure out how to skew older.
I dunno...I'm pretty old, and my peers like him. Girl peers, anyway.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post

i pressed live tv and just happened to catch the first few minutes of this show (normally i dont watch)

his voice seemed just bad when he was with each of the girls in the audience and he looked old for sure..has to be legal by now. since i'm not a teen girl i just cannot comprehend such love for any 'star' at all. when i was a teen i cant think of anyone id scream for even.

one thing that does amaze me is that while record companies worry about pirating music, apparently teen girls actually pay for the music or he wouldnt be making that much money

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
warrenn

JB doesn't strike me as someone who has true charisma. It seems like he's always playing a part. I imagine a team of handlers behind the scene telling him what to sing, what to wear, what to say, how to say it, how he should be tilting his head as he says it, etc. He's good looking and can sing, but he seems much more like a corporate spokesperson than a true artist.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
JB doesn't strike me as someone who has true charisma. It seems like he's always playing a part. I imagine a team of handlers behind the scene telling him what to sing, what to wear, what to say, how to say it, how he should be tilting his head as he says it, etc. He's good looking and can sing, but he seems much more like a corporate spokesperson than a true artist.
Since he started his own career via YouTube, I think he is not controlled by others.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Fish Man
Phish Food

I have rarely missed an SNL since the very first episode of the very first season, and I often post how I've been listening to people talk about how the show was "so much better before" since the 70's.

That being said, this season is hands down the weakest since the 1980 - 81 season (which still is hands-down the weakest SNL season ever. Hard to believe it's the season that introduced Eddie Murphy... but I digress).

So, having established that I feel this is the weakest season of SNL in a LONG TIME, I'll say that this was one of the season's stronger episodes (still not saying that much since the bar is so low this season).

Still, several sketches worked pretty well.

Superbowl XLVII was funny because it was painful trying to watch the pre-game guys fill the gap during the power failure in the real Super Bowl.

The Look Alikes sketch was good for several laughs.

Any time Keenan Thompson is going to do a character on WU I just know it's going to be hilarious, and this one was no exception.

Finally, I just ABSOLUTELY LOVE Vanessa Bayer's Miley Cyrus. I was glad to see it again. It's particularly amazing to me because Bayer couldn't look any less like Miley Cyrus yet she manages to do a fantastic spot-on impression of her! Bieber added very little to this particular sketch, but I just love that Miley impression!

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I think the two new women are some of the strongest since Wiig.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
That was just one woman. The host was also the musical guest.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #23
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

The lookalikes with Ellen were funny.

Quote:
I think it's because he's young, grew up in the spotlight, and has no idea who he is or who he should be, so he takes on the personas of the popular culture around him.

I know a lot of young performers do this but with him it's uncomfortably transparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Since he started his own career via YouTube, I think he is not controlled by others.
Usher found him when he was a little kid. Since then he's been fully produced and handled.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
tiams

Quote:
I agree. But I don't think of him as a corporate spokesperson, I think of him as the product that a corporation has produced. Everything he does, wears, and says is controlled by the people who own him. He may make lots of money, but it is only a % of what the people behind him make.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Well played sir. Very well played!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Even though the joke that busyba made this post the set-up for made me LOL, I agree with this statement.

The two new ladies (and indeed, the entire cast) deserves better writing than they're getting this season.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
The two new ladies (and indeed, the entire cast) deserves better writing than they're getting this season.
The thing with SNL is that if you want stuff written for you, you need to work to make it happen (or write it yourself).

Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:

Took me a minute, but LOL.