TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
cfneumann

Question HD issues when recording from DirecTV with series 2

It seems like over the last month or so that a few issues have come up when we record off of Directv.

1. On one of the TiVo/Directv setups, we always get the screen that says to press EXIT to tell it that you want SD. This one is set up with an HD TV and also a SD TV.

2. Also, when watching the SD TV, the HD TV needs to be on if you are watching pay TV or the SD TV goes totally black.

3. The other is a TiVo/Directv setup where there is only an HD TV. The TV must be on when recording from pay TV or the recording is totally black.
cfneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If the HDMI port cannot handshake with the TV, it will shut down the other outputs.

Solution: Get an HD DVR from DirecTV and throw the Series 2 in the garbage.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
cfneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
If the HDMI port cannot handshake with the TV, it will shut down the other outputs.

Solution: Get an HD DVR from DirecTV and throw the Series 2 in the garbage.
I currently have a TiVo server connected on my network that feeds both of my series 2 TiVo/DirecTV HD boxes. It has a 10TB drive, but all recordings are SD.

What would be the setup if I got 2 TiVo HD boxes? Can I still offload the TiVo boxes onto my TiVo server for storage?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you got two standalone TiVo boxes, you would need to get rid of satellite. If you switch to DirecTV HD DVR or DirecTV TiVo HD boxes, you won't be able to send anything over the network.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
cfneumann

Thumbs down

Quote:
If you got two standalone TiVo boxes, you would need to get rid of satellite. If you switch to DirecTV HD DVR or DirecTV TiVo HD boxes, you won't be able to send anything over the network.
So that sounds like it would render my TiVo server useless and all of my recordings that are saved would be worthless?

There are no other options to have HD & also seperate offTiVo storage on a network?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Not on satellite.

But you could get an HD DVR and put a 2TB drive in it.

What is the server for? How much SD content do you need to store?
Two TiVo Minis

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
cfneumann

Quote:
Not on satellite.

But you could get an HD DVR and put a 2TB drive in it.

What is the server for? How much SD content do you need to store?
We have about 10TB of recorded SD shows/movies over the years on the networked TiVo file server. It holds them off-TiVo so when we want to watch any of them we can upload it to either of the TiVo boxes and watch it. We can also upload the recordings to any of our computers and watch the recordings there.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I keep recordings on a computer too, but have been transitioning to HD. Most of the SD stuff is old TV shows that aren't available as HD or make no sense as HD. I am trying to get rid of any SD movies.

I'm using TiVo Premiere boxes and PyTiVo to do this, which won't work with satellite. A long time ago I used DirecTiVo boxes that were hacked to allow network transfers. Most of the old files I made back then still work with the Premieres.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
cfneumann

Quote:
I keep recordings on a computer too, but have been transitioning to HD. Most of the SD stuff is old TV shows that aren't available as HD or make no sense as HD. I am trying to get rid of any SD movies.

I'm using TiVo Premiere boxes and PyTiVo to do this, which won't work with satellite. A long time ago I used DirecTiVo boxes that were hacked to allow network transfers. Most of the old files I made back then still work with the Premieres.
Does that mean you can or cannot offload your HD recordings?

I would hate to get rid of DirecTV, it would probably end up as a reason for divorce ...

But I dont want to lose the ability of offloading and uploading on demand from my own file server.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I can offload HD recordings that are not protected by the silly cable company, which means I can move network channel shows but not cable channel shows.

I get most content from the internet anyway. I let someone else convert it to an MPEG-4 or MKV or whatever. Then I throw it on the server and play it whenever I want. I don't really keep a lot of TiVo recordings anymore. I do buy blu-ray and DVD discs and rip those onto my computer for viewing on the TiVo or other devices.
Two TiVo Minis