TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #4051
TVCricket
HDUI

I'm almost done with setting up the pytivo that you posted, but I can't figure out how to setup the firewall exception. I'm using Windows 7. Instructions that I found online says to point to an executable, but the version you reference to isn't an .exe file.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #4052
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCricket View Post
I'm almost done with setting up the pytivo that you posted, but I can't figure out how to setup the firewall exception. I'm using Windows 7. Instructions that I found online says to point to an executable, but the version you reference to isn't an .exe file.
Try pointing it to python.exe. I'm still running Win2K so don't have firewall problems and I also don't run it as a service so I can't guarantee that this will work. I would suggest that you not run it as a service, at least at first so you can see a bit more of what is going on.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #4053
TVCricket
HDUI

Do I have to open the pytivo python file each time I want to transfer videos? Also, does the command line always have to be open for it to work?

Edit*
Got it working and it just finished transferring the 1st episode when guess what happens? The 2nd episode still doesn't group. LOL

Someone just beat me with a sack of nickels and end my misery.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #4054
lpwcomp

Quote:
Do I have to open the pytivo python file each time I want to transfer videos?
If you start it, it will run until you stop it. It doesn't hurt anything to have it running all the time.
Quote:
Also, does the command line always have to be open for it to work?
Yes, but you can minimize it. I have it set to autostart minimized.

Quote:
Edit*
Got it working and it just finished transferring the 1st episode when guess what happens? The 2nd episode still doesn't group. LOL

Someone just beat me with a sack of nickels and end my misery.
Did you stop the service before staring the new version? What was in the command prompt window in which the new version was running? Please post a full list (filenames and extensions) of what is in the "Band of Brothers" directory.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #4055
TVCricket
HDUI

The service uninstalled when I uninstalled that old executable version of pytivo. To make sure, I went into Services in My Computer to see if pytivo was still listed as a service before I setup the more updated version. It wasn't there.

While the files were transferring, I could see the file being moved and encoded. Kind of like how Handbrake does except it was in the command box.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #4056
lpwcomp

Quote:
The service uninstalled when I uninstalled that old executable version of pytivo. To make sure, I went into Services in My Computer to see if pytivo was still listed as a service before I setup the more updated version. It wasn't there.

While the files were transferring, I could see the file being moved and encoded. Kind of like how Handbrake does except it was in the command box.
OK. What I would like to see is something like this:
Code:
 Directory of C:\Downloads\TV\Band of Brothers

01/23/2013  02:30p      <DIR>          .
01/23/2013  02:30p      <DIR>          ..
04/17/2012  10:25p          14,633,224 Band of Brothers.S01E01.avi
01/23/2013  01:06p               1,718 Band of Brothers.S01E01.avi.txt
01/23/2013  11:56a                 533 Band of Brothers.S01E01x.avi.txt
04/17/2012  10:25p          14,633,224 Band of Brothers.S01E02.avi
01/23/2013  01:06p               2,043 Band of Brothers.S01E02.avi.txt
01/23/2013  11:58a                 682 Band of Brothers.S01E02x.avi.txt
01/23/2013  02:30p                   0 lst.txt
               7 File(s)     29,271,424 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  47,843,160,064 bytes free
The .txt files with the "x" in the name contain the metadata that you posted. I added the "x" after testing so they wouldn't be overwritten. The other two are the ones created by MetaGenerator 3 (version 3.6). When I transferred the test videos again using them, all 4 ended up in the same group.

Attached are the two metadata files created by MetaGenerator 3.

Band of Brothers.S01E01.avi.txt

Band of Brothers.S01E02.avi.txt

Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #4057
TVCricket
HDUI

There's a lot of text in the command box and I can't copy/paste it.

My directory for all videos is F:\My Videos\TV Shows; \Band of Brothers in this case.

The only things in the BoB folder are the 10 mkv episode files and 10 metadata files. The same is the case for my Curb and Homeland folders. Could something have been embedded in the video files themselves?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #4058
TVCricket
HDUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
OK. What I would like to see is something like this:
Code:
 Directory of C:\Downloads\TV\Band of Brothers

01/23/2013  02:30p      <DIR>          .
01/23/2013  02:30p      <DIR>          ..
04/17/2012  10:25p          14,633,224 Band of Brothers.S01E01.avi
01/23/2013  01:06p               1,718 Band of Brothers.S01E01.avi.txt
01/23/2013  11:56a                 533 Band of Brothers.S01E01x.avi.txt
04/17/2012  10:25p          14,633,224 Band of Brothers.S01E02.avi
01/23/2013  01:06p               2,043 Band of Brothers.S01E02.avi.txt
01/23/2013  11:58a                 682 Band of Brothers.S01E02x.avi.txt
01/23/2013  02:30p                   0 lst.txt
               7 File(s)     29,271,424 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  47,843,160,064 bytes free
How do I get what's in my Band Of Brothers folder to show up how you've shown it?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #4059
lpwcomp

Quote:
There's a lot of text in the command box and I can't copy/paste it.

My directory for all videos is F:\My Videos\TV Shows; \Band of Brothers in this case.

The only things in the BoB folder are the 10 mkv episode files and 10 metadata files. The same is the case for my Curb and Homeland folders. Could something have been embedded in the video files themselves?
You keep missing the point. I don't care how it is organized, I need to see a list of the actual full file names (including extension) in that directory, like I posted. Also, you should attach the actual metadata files rather than doing a cut and paste.

Two other things: What model TiVo (exact model #, not just "TiVo Premiere") and what s/w version is it running?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #4060
lpwcomp

Quote:
How do I get what's in my Band Of Brothers folder to show up how you've shown it?
Open up a command prompt, cd to the directory, enter "dir >lst.txt". Either attach lst.txt or edit it and do a cut and paste.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #4061
TVCricket
HDUI

I'm not very familiar with using cmd or its commands. Have no clue how to do most of hat. Most specifically "cd to the directory". Sorry if I keep asking novice questions, but this is exactly why I went with the .exe version of the pytivo. LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #4062
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with using cmd or its commands. Have no clue how to do most of hat. Most specifically "cd to the directory". Sorry if I keep asking novice questions, but this is exactly why I went with the .exe version of the pytivo. LOL
cd is the command to "change directory", which means you're changing from the directory that the command prompt is on now, to the one you want to be in.

So, if your videos are located in the 'Videos' library on Windows 7, you most likely want:
Code:
cd c:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USER_NAME_HERE\Videos
If you've you've added folders to that directory, and Band of Brothers is one of them, then the command would look like this:
Code:
cd "c:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USER_NAME_HERE\Videos\Band of Brothers"
Notice the quotes around the second part. They are necessary because there are spaces in the folder name.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #4063
lpwcomp

Quote:
First do this:
Quote:
Open the Start Menu, click on All Programs, Accessories, and on Command Prompt. (see screenshot below)

Then enter ( each line separately):

Code:
F:
cd "\My Videos\TV Shows;\Band of Brothers"
dir >lst.txt
Is there really a ";" in the directory name? If so, I suggest you get rid of it by renaming the folder. If not, then leave it out of the above cd command but do leave in the quotes. They are needed since you have blanks in the name.

You will now have a file named lst.txt in that directory which you can either attach or edit and cut and paste.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4064
TVCricket
HDUI

I quickly ripped a few episodes of another show and tried it again and it worked. Wonder what could be causing these two shows to not group.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #4065
jcthorne

Did you have BoB on the Tivo just prior to the last software update and trying to add new episodes?

There is an known issue created by the reformatting of the internal Tivo databases during the software upgrade that caused existing shows that were pushed, to ungroup. Any further use of the same seriesId will not group either.

If this was the case, delete all BoB episodes from your Tivo, delete them permanently from the recently deleted folder. Wait a few days and try loading them again.

Alternately, you can change the seriesId in the metadata for the whole series.

Seems the seriesId is fubar until it completely disappears from the Tivo database.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #4066
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Did you have BoB on the Tivo just prior to the last software update and trying to add new episodes?

There is an known issue created by the reformatting of the internal Tivo databases during the software upgrade that caused existing shows that were pushed, to ungroup. Any further use of the same seriesId will not group either.

If this was the case, delete all BoB episodes from your Tivo, delete them permanently from the recently deleted folder. Wait a few days and try loading them again.

Seems the seriesId is fubar until it completely disappears from the Tivo database.
He's pulling, not pushing.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #4067
TVCricket
HDUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Changed the SeriesID and now it works. Thank you sir.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4068
y2kse

Looking for advice

I'm unsuccessfully trying to push a series of MP4's to my TiVo Premiere unit. Other files that are known to have worked previously still work. Pulling works okay, but the server hosting pyTivo is too slow for transcoding. I thought there might an issue with the files, but pushing one of the failing files to my Tivo HD unit works fine. Based on the pyTivo logs, it looks like the push request gets sent, the Premiere picks it up but rejects the file.

I don't know what to try next. Any advice?
y2kse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #4069
jcthorne

please post the mediainfo data for one of the files that fails and the pytivo log. Someone here can help you figure out what is going on.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #4070
y2kse

I wrote too soon. I thought the files in question were working on the TivoHD, but they weren't. The blue LED would appear and there were no errors in the pytivo log, but I realized after awhile that there was nothing actually transferring. After that, I figured out the problem was the bit rates on these files was too high.
y2kse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #4071
lrhorer

Um, say what? How high is "too high"? I'm not sure there is such a thing when it comes to transferring a file. Playback is another matter. Certainly the TiVos can handle bit rates in excess of 20 Mbps. How high is the bit rate on your files, and what was their source?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #4072
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There are some situations where the bitrate can be "too high" -- see here. If the video is being remuxed (only), and the video bitrate exceeds 16 Mbps (or the rate specified in the .conf file), then the estimated size will be too small, and the file will be deleted after transfer. (I'm working on fixing this.) Whether this is y2kse's problem, I don't know.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #4073
newsposter
Poster of News

what would a reason be for a show to stop transferring after a period of time whether it's a pull or a push?

it plays perfectly on the laptop

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #4074
BankZ

Anyone know what could cause an exclamation point to show up rather than the computer icon?
BankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #4075
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
Anyone know what could cause an exclamation point to show up rather than the computer icon?
I had been assuming that, since I first noticed it with the fall update, that it was a TiVo problem. However, I ran TD today while investigating the current push problem, and TD still shows a computer icon, so I some further testing and I discovered that using an old beacon.py module with everything else being current, I got the computer icon back. So it appears to be that TiVo changed something in the HDUI so that the the icon change in beacon.py no longer works in the HDUI.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #4076
BankZ

Where can I get an older version of beacon.py?
BankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #4077
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Downgrading beacon.py is not the correct solution. You'd probably get the same effect just by restarting pyTivo. I know I do. However, I am curious as to exactly how old this old version is.

Previous thread about this topic here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495368

To what I wrote there, I'd now add that I've seen the icon go to an exclamation point sometimes, and I've seen it clear up on its own after a while, or immediately if I restart pyTivo.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #4078
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Downgrading beacon.py is not the correct solution. You'd probably get the same effect just by restarting pyTivo. I know I do. However, I am curious as to exactly how old this old version is.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I didn't mean to suggest that he do so and was going to post as much but had to go out. I only did it in an attempt to isolate the source of the problem. As far how old it is - it is from the oldest version (zip file) I had lying around, beacon.py having a date of 8/18/2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Previous thread about this topic here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495368

To what I wrote there, I'd now add that I've seen the icon go to an exclamation point sometimes, and I've seen it clear up on its own after a while, or immediately if I restart pyTivo.
For me, at least in the HDUI, it starts out as an exclamation point and never varies. If it makes any difference, zeroconf is disabled, as I limit which shares can be seen by three of my four TiVos. The only one not limited to specific shares is also the only one on which I am using the HDUI.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #4079
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, you'll never see anything but an exclamation point with Zeroconf disabled.

But if it works with an older version of beacon.py AND no Zeroconf, then clearly I have something to investigate...

Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #4080
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OK, here's what I've found: With Zeroconf disabled, I can get rid of the greyed-out/exclamation point effect if I change PLATFORM_MAIN to "pc" (or "pc/pyTivo"; it makes no difference). But if I do that, then the music and photo shares revert to being displayed like "Music on Sharename's PC" instead of just "Sharename". The only way around this is to use Zeroconf, because it can provide different platform values for each share, which the old beacon method doesn't do.

IMHO the "Music on Sharename's PC" format is even less desirable than the exclamation point, so I'm tentatively classifying this as "won't fix". The solution for most people (not using the "shares" option) should be to get Zeroconf working, as I've recommended previously.

Although... I suppose I could make it so that PLATFORM_VIDEO was used in the old-style beacons if no music or photo shares were defined. It's not a full solution, though.

At least I now understand why the problem only appears with Zeroconf not working.