TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
palover

TCD746500 w/75 hours=TCD750500?

I've got a chance to buy a new Premiere 4 at a very good price, and it has the 75 hr. drive, which I want, but is a TCD746500. I was under the impression that the 750500 had the bigger drive while the 746500 had the 45 hr. drive. The box does say "expanded edition" and "75 HD hours" so I assume I was mistaken.

My question is- will I be missing out on any features of the 750500 by buying the expanded edition of the older model?
palover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
donnoh

The 746500 is the two tuner Premiere with the 500 GB hard drive. The 750500 is the four tuner Premiere 4 with a 500 GB drive.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
tatergator1

TCD746500 is the current 2-tuner basic Premiere that supports Analog Cable, Digital Cable, or Over the Air Broadcasts.

TCD750500 is the current 4-tuner "Premiere 4" that supports only Digital Cable.

Both have 75 hours of HD recording via the 500 GB drive; that's the "500" in both model numbers.

The old version of the basic Premiere was the TCD746320 which had 45 hours via a 320 GB hard drive.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
palover

What threw me was seeing it described as "Series 4". I've gotten into the mode of assuming that when I see 'Premiere' and '4' advertised on the same box that it's the 4 tuner model. So is 'Premiere Series 4' a valid description for the 2 tuner model?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palover View Post
What threw me was seeing it described as "Series 4". I've gotten into the mode of assuming that when I see 'Premiere' and '4' advertised on the same box that it's the 4 tuner model. So is 'Premiere Series 4' a valid description for the 2 tuner model?
Yes. All flavors of the Premiere are part of the Series 4 platform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
palover

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes. All flavors of the Premiere are part of the Series 4 platform.
Well, I think they could have done better than 'Series 4' for that description, to avoid confusion between 2 and 4 tuner models, but I've got it straight now.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Well, I think they could have done better than 'Series 4' for that description, to avoid confusion between 2 and 4 tuner models, but I've got it straight now.

Thanks guys.
Really after they have had Series 1, Series 3, Series 3 all referring to the software level why is Series 4 not the logical next step.

When they first went to dual tuner it was called the dual. Perhaps instead of calling it the TiVo Premier 4 or Premiere XL4 they should have called them the Quads i.e. the "TiVo Premier Quad" or "TiVo Premier XL Quad". I remain disappointed that the month I was finally ready after dealing with 7 months of TWC issues to add a second Premiere they discontinued the Premier XL (150)
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (awaiting Android support/app update)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
palover

Quote:
Really after they have had Series 1, Series 3, Series 3 all referring to the software level why is Series 4 not the logical next step.
If that's a question, my answer is that I didn't say it wasn't logical. I said it was confusing- series 4 clashes with Premiere 4. You tend to think '4' indicates 4 tuners. I'm sure it's not confusing for those familiar with previous models, but for some of us Tivo newbies (and I'm a network admin and home theater enthusiast), it can promote confusion, thus this thread. When I'm in product territory that's new to me, I head for forums, so I'm glad this one's here for those us just entering the Tivo world.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
innocentfreak

Quote:
If that's a question, my answer is that I didn't say it wasn't logical. I said it was confusing- series 4 clashes with Premiere 4. You tend to think '4' indicates 4 tuners. I'm sure it's not confusing for those familiar with previous models, but for some of us Tivo newbies (and I'm a network admin and home theater enthusiast), it can promote confusion, thus this thread. When I'm in product territory that's new to me, I head for forums, so I'm glad this one's here for those us just entering the Tivo world.
The series 4 is more of an internal reference though. I don't believe they are referred to the series 4 in any materials or packaging. You have probably only heard it because we were talking about it here in reference to the entire Premiere lineup. Of course if and when we see a series 5 it could also be a Premiere model.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
lew2

Quote:
I said it was confusing- series 4 clashes with Premiere 4. You tend to think '4' indicates 4 tuners.
Reminds me of an ebay listing back when the iPad2 came out. "32GB iPad 2 Covers Included" was the title for a first generation iPad being sold with two covers.
lew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Tivo has done nothing but make the Series 4 platform confusing by the name changes over the last few years. And then the first four tuner Premiere was called the Premiere Elite when it was first released. And then they changed the name six months later.

I still wonder if this will affect me when I sell my Premeire Elite boxes to upgrade to a newer TiVo?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The series 4 is more of an internal reference though. I don't believe they are referred to the series 4 in any materials or packaging. You have probably only heard it because we were talking about it here in reference to the entire Premiere lineup. Of course if and when we see a series 5 it could also be a Premiere model.
The only place that I know TiVo refers to the Series 4 is on the System Info screen, there it is called a Series 4.

Remember the original Series 3 that was called a Series 3 than came the Series 3 called the TiVo-HD than the TiVo-HDXL, both were a Series 3 in the SI screen.

Even Microsoft tried different names like XP Vista than went to something that was understandable as to what was newer like Windows 7, Windows 8, anybody ready for Windows 9!!.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The only place that I know TiVo refers to the Series 4 is on the System Info screen, there it is called a Series 4.
As with all of the S2 and S3 models, "Series 4" is printed on the front bezels of the Premiere line of TiVos.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
As with all of the S2 and S3 models, "Series 4" is printed on the front bezels of the Premiere line of TiVos.
OK you are correct, I used a flashlight and looked, not very prominent and I doubt most people have seen that small Series 4 logo near the bottom right. My TP-4 has a big 4 on the front panel, people could get confused.