TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #811
lrhorer

Just wait until she finds out what I can do with an oven... AND a dishwasher!

Hmm. You are close enough for her to drive down here, too.

I'm afraid things may not be looking too good for you, my friend.

OTOH, one look at me and she will probably burn rubber all the way back to Austin.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-03-2012 at 05:56 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #812
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
My wife made the comment that lrhorer might be good marriage material, given his advanced abilities to make TiVos do what you want them to do.
Tell her to teach herself. It's so much fun. Now that I have my Premiere 4 tuner I am working on building up my library of re-watchable sitcoms (I love sitcoms) and have multiple SPs for the ones I'm working on. I use KMTTG to grab them, decrypt them, cut commercials out and then transfer them to my server and watch them via XBMC or Plex on my connected TVs. I'm also doing a similar thing with cheesy Christmas movies (adore those too) and using PyTivo as my final step to push them back to my main TiVo to group in one folder with all the metadata still intact.

The folks on here are so helpful. The tools they have given us are amazing, and whenever I hit a wall they walk me through it and I'm on to my next TiVo adventure. It makes TV viewing all the more fun knowing I'm in charge.

My husband's role in all of this is more along the hardware side. He builds the computers, upgrades the TiVos (when we used to do that) and makes sure I can push the limits of whatever it is I decide I want to do... but I get to do all the fun stuff.

P.S. I know I'm lucky not to have any copy protection issues, but she could do the same things (on a lesser scale/less quality) with a S2 machine.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #813
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That's simple.

She cares more about the story than she does in how it's presented.
That's the way my wife is. She doesn't care if it's HD or SD. I secretly go in and redo her Season Passes from the SD channel to the HD channel especially if it's a program we'll be watching together.

Luckily, unlike the OP's wife mine gets rid of programs quickly and rarely wants to save anything. She has all kind of available space on her 1TB TiVo HD.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #814
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
P.S. I know I'm lucky not to have any copy protection issues, but she could do the same things (on a lesser scale/less quality) with a S2 machine.
Or on a vastly expanded scale with the THD.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #815
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

That's the way my wife is. She doesn't care if it's HD or SD. I secretly go in and redo her Season Passes from the SD channel to the HD channel especially if it's a program we'll be watching together.
Why not just remove the SD channels from your listing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #816
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Why not just remove the SD channels from your listing?
That would break the Season Pass. He would still have to re-do the SP.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #817
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That would break the Season Pass. He would still have to re-do the SP.
Right but if he is already re-doing the SP anyway, he may as well fix it so that she can't make SD SP's again in the future (for shows on channels that have HD counterparts.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #818
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Right but if he is already re-doing the SP anyway, he may as well fix it so that she can't make SD SP's again in the future (for shows on channels that have HD counterparts.)
Makes sense to me. We got rid of all of the SD Channels that had counterparts. There's really no reason for them to be in there. At least not for us (we have upgraded hard drives in all our boxes).
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #819
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Makes sense to me. We got rid of all of the SD Channels that had counterparts. There's really no reason for them to be in there. At least not for us (we have upgraded hard drives in all our boxes).
We have a Series 2 in another room (with the treadmill) that she transfers some shows from her Tivo HD to occasionally. They're usually not drama/comedy shows, but stuff like 60 Minutes or 20/20 so that's why at least some of the SD channels have to remain. I have to be selective on what Season Passes I "fix".
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #820
skruggie

OMG this is hysterical...I remember this thread from way back when I first got my tivo
skruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #821
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skruggie View Post
OMG this is hysterical...I remember this thread from way back when I first got my tivo
There are so many things my wife won't do! In almost all cases she's just exhibiting good judgement. For better or worse her interest in TiVo doesn't go much beyond knowing how to change channels and play recordings.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #822
lrhorer

timckelly,

How is the new server working out? Have you ventured out into the wild, blue horizon of advanced network apps, yet?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #823
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

We need a companion thread, "husband won't set up my file server".

(Yes, I need to get back to studying pyTiVo.)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #824
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
timckelly,

How is the new server working out? Have you ventured out into the wild, blue horizon of advanced network apps, yet?
It's working smoothly with regards to backing up my wife's shows, except she always gets me to do it for her. As user friendly as it is, my wife is uncomfortable doing it herself. I started writing a user document for her, but haven't finished it. Since she's not that familiar with even basic windows commands, like creating folders and renaming them (and that's involved when you create folders within shares, which she likes to have), that means my user document has to be very detailed explaining even the most basic steps. I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I actually decided it's easier to use the pyTiVo web screen directly instead of trying to use kmttg, by the way. It seems more reliable, especially when she wants to queue up a bunch of shows for transferring.

However, she's only using it at a basic level - i.e. transferring shows directly from TiVo to our new file server. I actually have a video of my son I'd like to put there too, and I'm pretty sure I can use the encoding features of kmttg to do it.

As for advanced network apps, I haven't looked into that. I'm just now getting around to moving our printers to be hooked up to the file server, and I could swear it came with PC back up/restore utilities, but after looking at the synology software that came with it, I can't find any such features. I suppose it's not big deal - there's all kinds of PC backup/restore freeware on internet that's available. My server is mapped as a T: drive, so any backing up software I use can simply specify T: as the target drive.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #825
timckelley
TCFer

By the way, my wife has made quite a few cracks along the lines of "why didn't I just buy her another TiVo, instead of this complicated file server?" She doesn't need my help to move shows between actual TiVos, but she apparently does need my help using pyTiVo, so she seems like she wishes I'd've gotten another TiVo instead.

I keep telling her I have no regrets, because
  • I've always wanted a file server for more reasons than backing up shows.
  • She's getting 3TBs of space (actually 6, but it's a 2 drive raid array, so really it's just 3), which I don't think any TiVo I would have bought her would have had.
  • I think the price per byte of storage is cheaper this way than buying another TiVo
  • She already has enough tuners. Buying another TiVo involves spending $ on more than just storage - you're buying a tuner and guide data, and all that.

Assuming I'm getting a file server anyway, a TiVo + a file server is fairly expensive, and I don't want to shell out that much $.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #826
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
By the way, my wife has made quite a few cracks along the lines of "why didn't I just buy her another TiVo, instead of this complicated file server?" She doesn't need my help to move shows between actual TiVos, but she apparently does need my help using pyTiVo, so she seems like she wishes I'd've gotten another TiVo instead.

I keep telling her I have no regrets, because
  • I've always wanted a file server for more reasons than backing up shows.
  • She's getting 3TBs of space (actually 6, but it's a 2 drive raid array, so really it's just 3), which I don't think any TiVo I would have bought her would have had.
  • I think the price per byte of storage is cheaper this way than buying another TiVo
  • She already has enough tuners. Buying another TiVo involves spending $ on more than just storage - you're buying a tuner and guide data, and all that.

Assuming I'm getting a file server anyway, a TiVo + a file server is fairly expensive, and I don't want to shell out that much $.
Tell her she has a problem and you are no longer willing to enable her. Seems to work pretty well on "Intervention".
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #827
mattack

Quote:
[*]She's getting 3TBs of space (actually 6, but it's a 2 drive raid array, so really it's just 3), which I don't think any TiVo I would have bought her would have had.
Nope, Tivos won't even boot with a drive > 2 TB installed, even if the OS is only configured for 2 TB… at least that's what I gather on the upgrade discussions.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #828
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Does she ever actually go back and watch any of the shows you're offloading to this "file server?" Ever?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #829
lrhorer

Quote:
It's working smoothly with regards to backing up my wife's shows, except she always gets me to do it for her.
It sounds like you need an automated process.

Quote:
I actually decided it's easier to use the pyTiVo web screen directly instead of trying to use kmttg, by the way. It seems more reliable, especially when she wants to queue up a bunch of shows for transferring.
I definitely don't follow that, especially if one employs kmttg's auto transfer utilities. The only real issue I have had on a recurring basis was when a series insists on giving two different episodes the exact same name. There are work-arounds for that, but none were really compatible with my scripts. It just meant I had to intervene manually.

Quote:
However, she's only using it at a basic level - i.e. transferring shows directly from TiVo to our new file server. I actually have a video of my son I'd like to put there too, and I'm pretty sure I can use the encoding features of kmttg to do it.
From what source?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #830
lrhorer

Quote:
Does she ever actually go back and watch any of the shows you're offloading to this "file server?" Ever?
Why the quotes around the term? He has a file server. A NAS, as I recall.

As to her watching, I would expect it would be far more likely than what he was doing before, IIRC. I believe he was archiving to DVD.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #831
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not asking what's "far more likely."

I'm asking if she ever watches any of these "archives" -- on DVD, or off the NAS.

(And I'm betting the answer is no.)

Methinks there's a better solution here and it doesn't involve throwing technology at the "problem."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #832
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I'm not asking what's "far more likely."

I'm asking if she ever watches any of these "archives" -- on DVD, or off the NAS.

(And I'm betting the answer is no.)

Methinks there's a better solution here and it doesn't involve throwing technology at the "problem."
I don't see what business it is of ours if she is watching what she records or not, or how long it takes her to get around to it.

We all make choices of what we want to watch, what we want to keep, how much money we want to spend, and so on. I'm noticing that lately people here are awfully quick to make moral judgements about what other people do, simply because what other people like to do is not the same as what they like to do. It doesn't matter what our reasons might be, what our budget might be, or any of the other variables. If we don't do things their way, we are wrong.

We recently got someone boasting in the Downton Abbey thread that they never pay for anything that they can watch on broadcast for free. This was in response to someone else saying that a missed episode was available for download from iTunes. Maybe it is more convenient to buy it from iTunes than it is to sit at the computer and watch the episode for free from PBS.org. Why should he cares if someone else spends money to get an episode off iTunes? They weren't spending his money.

IMO, the only reason to ask whether Tim's wife is watching something out of her archive or not is to debug their workflow, and to remove any impediment there might be to her watching something, if and when she wants to. There are reasons her watching time is limited, and I don't see why she shouldn't have a choice of what she wants to see when she can watch something. How much she can afford to keep is between her and Tim. It's not my place to say anything about that. The only reason the volume should come into play is for technical considerations of how to deal with that size of video library.

I personally think it is lunacy for me to archive whole seasons of a show off cable or OTA when it is available for purchase on DVD, because I can barely keep up with archiving the shows that aren't commercially available and never will be.

But not everyone will share this view, just like not everyone in the Ultraviolet thread does things the way you like to do it.

Can we please stick to discussing the technical aspects, and let Tim and his wife decide for themselves what works best for them?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #833
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sorry, no. It's a public discussion forum, and that's what happens. You're passing judgment via an assumption that I'm passing judgment. Neither of us is right or wrong. C'est la vie.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #834
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Sorry, no. It's a public discussion forum, and that's what happens. You're passing judgment via an assumption that I'm passing judgment. Neither of us is right or wrong. C'est la vie.
I just find it curious that having gone around and around with everyone who insisted that you didn't need Ultraviolet because they didn't need Ultraviolet, that you would use the same kind of argument on someone else.

I think there's a better solution that doesn't involve technology, too, but since I'm not in a position to volunteer to help with watching their kid or do their housework so Tim's wife can watch more of her shows, nor do I have a magic wand to give her more hours in her day, what point is there for me to say so?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #835
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not following, and the "argument" about Ultraviolet played out quite a bit differently in my perspective then the problem posed by this thread did. My Ultraviolet "investment" is less than $50 at this point, and has granted me eye-opening convenience and entertainment, from a service many hadn't taken seriously since its introduction. But quite a few things have changed in the landscape, making it quite a bit more attractive to adopt and use. The dynamics have shifted. New paradigms emerge, new mindsets cultivate.

This thread is almost 10 years old now, has basically become a long-standing parody of itself, and the underlying issue (that's causing the "problem") is no closer to being solved. That's the whole joke, see?

The point is, I don't see this issue as a matter of "no free time" so much as its the digital equivalent of hoarding. Even with all the time in the world, those offloaded shows aren't going to be watched. All Tim's doing is enabling the behavior, and delaying the inevitable. Dynamics have shifted here too (availability of DVD box sets, online streaming, etc.) And yet Tim will just keep adding more and more hard drives to the NAS... to offload/hoarde shows his wife refuses to delete, and will never, ever have time to watch again.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #836
timckelley
TCFer

I've asked my wife about it, and thinks she might need these shows in her old age. I personally have more confidence that there will always be new content available that's worth watching. My wife doesn't have that confidence though.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #837
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tim, let's be honest. We deserve it. This chat has been going on for almost a decade now. You know, and we know, she will never, ever, EVER watch these offloaded shows. Your TiVo, or the drives, will die first, or she'll forget about what's there, as new content become more interesting. You're not offloading these shows for her to realistically watch... so much as you're doing it because you can (and somehow, this action sort of, kind of, "appeases" her.)

I don't blame you, and I understand why you're putting forth the effort. You're a good husband for wanting to keep her happy this way. But what's been left out of this thread, it seems, is the very frank admission about what happens to these shows after they are offloaded (ie: NOTHING) and that's a little unfair to those who've been following along for all this time.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #838
mattack

Quote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm using offloading to a drive connected to a computer, and I *do* go back and watch at least some of the shows. Since I have less storage on the Tivos, I download shows in groups and then watch them in air order later, if they're not a show I keep up on week to week.

(There are other things, like music shows & musical performances from talk shows, that I *haven't* really watched, but "someday" intend to rip the audio off to use as songs on my ipod/iphone.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #839
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm using offloading to a drive connected to a computer, and I *do* go back and watch at least some of the shows.
Sure, but you're the one managing the recordings and offloading them. You are not Tim McKelley's wife.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #840
timckelley
TCFer

It's possible she's watched some of the offloaded shows - I don't know. I'll have to ask her.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc