TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Sylvia Caras

resolving conflicts

I've had this Premier, using HD, for six months - this is my first time with old shows and news shows overlapping and conflicting. (Comcast cable, if that makes a difference.)

Is there a way to see all my Season Passes in a calendar-type spreadsheet so that I can see and rearrange, say, the Mondays at 10 PM conflicts/overlaps? A way to sort the Season Passes by day and time?

And do I have to actively look at History or ToDo to see conflicts? I don't get any notifications?

And, if I try to re-Season Pass a program that plays again say at 2 AM, TiVo doesn't accept that as the Season Pass, reverts to the prime time. Help with that?

And, sometimes the same program is playing on several channels but only once in creating a Season Pass was I able to select a different channel.

Sylvia
Sylvia
Sylvia Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

You need to properly prioritize your passes.

Put anything that does not repeat at the top, for me this is mostly network shows. After that, put shows that repeat, for me this is anything on cable networks. Nice to haves are at the very bottom.

The tivo will then record the repeating content at a time other than its first showing if it has conflicts. No need to micromanage things. It will just happen.

The new season pass manager shows conflicts, but I never go there for them as the tivo will figure it out.

New passes are always added to the Bottom, so thus must be moved around appropriately.

If you have two tivos, split the network shows across ticks by network.

Last edited by jrtroo : 02-06-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: corrected predictive spelling errors
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
mattack

You can create multiple SPs, one per channel… or you can create an auto-recording wishlist.

As for the "2AM rerun", you have to just order your SPs to put any higher priority shows HIGHER in the SP list.

The general rule is -- network shows highest, then shows that will rerun within the week (most cable or premium cable shows that have their own series rerun several times within the premiere week).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
LynnL999

Quick rule of thumb for prioritizing...

First, all network shows that don't usually reair the same week.

Second, basic cable shows, that usually reair several times the same week.

Third, premium cable shows, that reair many times the same week. You can also avoid conflicts on premium shows by choosing the channel for the SP carefully -- like the east coast feed if you're on the west coast, so shows record from 5-8 pm instead of during prime time.

I record a lot, and have zero unresolvable conflicts on the four tuner DVR.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
bshrock

That would be a good project for someone to write a script / program to capture all your season passes from the online Season Pass Manager and sort them.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
That would be a good project for someone to write a script / program to capture all your season passes from the online Season Pass Manager and sort them.
I'm pretty sure kmttg does this, either via the online system, or by interacting directly with the Tivo and has ways to quickly see conflicts, etc.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Sylvia Caras

Because of mountains I've never had any network TV reception at all, all TV is cable, and never thought at all about distinctions. So now I will pay attention to repeats and reprioritize and let TiVo do it's job.

Thank you for those ideas.

As for scripts, I don't (yet) know how to access my TiVo's innards, software.

Sylvia
Sylvia Caras is offline   Reply With Quote