TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #31
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Directv raises their prices every year in February, often a doubt digit % increase.

Fees for their Genie, additional rooms, even to enable your OWN OWNED TV for RVU capability is something you need to add up.

They also charge you for the ability to share programs between each room.

Anything you get from them, will need to be returned after you discontinue service. You dont own any of the boxes. You pay the same price up front as buying a Tivo, but unlike Tivo, its not yours.

Depending on your Comcast market, DirecTv has far less basic HD channels than Xfinity.

DirecTv charges an HD fee, then charges another fee for many of the HD channels they call the Xtra Pak, which has channels included in Digital Preferred.

Ive been a DirecTv customer since they fired up their first satellite. I upgraded to the Genie system (along with my HR24 DVR, and two HD receivers) when it came out, which put me into a two year contract. I signed up for Xfinity under a promo plan at the same time, and purchased a Premier with lifetime service.

After comparing the two services side by side, and the full price + fees for each service along with the channels I get in HD, I purchased another Tivo Premier 4 tuner, and will be deactivating my DirecTv account as soon as the contract is up at the end of the year. I personally feel Xfinity+Tivo is a much better value for my money than DirecTv+leased equipment.

I wont even go into the fact that each and every software update to the DirecTv boxes seems to slow the boxes down to where some of them are frustratingly slow, and even their new boxes, like the Genie, are getting slower and slower each month.

Since, unlike Xfinity, you cannot test drive a DirecTv system for 30 days and get your money back, be prepared to live with your decision for two years. And get all you can from them free upfront, because once you are a customer, you dont get squat for upgrades. My parents (also DirecTv customers since day 1) cannot even get a slow HR21 with 300GB drive replaced without paying full lease fee plus new contract.

Also be aware that the Genie is the ONLY box from DirecTv you can order and be guarenteed to get. Any other DirecTv boxes you get could be new HR24's with 500GB drive, or coulde be an old slow refurb HR21 with 300GB drive like my parents have. And once installed, you are stuck with it.

The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. I strongly suggest going to a friends house who has DirecTv, and actually using the equipment for an afternoon before you decide.

Im not anti-Directv by any means, they still have as good as or better best picture quality of any provider, but their fees and upfront costs if you cannot get them waived, plus their use of old antiquated boxes keeps me from recommending them anymore.
Been with Directv forever and have never seen a double digit % price increase.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
Been with Directv forever and have never seen a double digit % price increase.
Not for programming alone, but if you add in the hikes to the service fees, equipment fees, and premium channel fees together, some this year are reporting 10-15% increases to their bill (threads on the dbstalk forum). I suspect it depends how many boxes, and what programs you subscribe to. My bill averaged a $5/mo increase this year.

My point was that all providers raise prices every year, not just Comcast.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #33
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Ah, selective memory is a wonderful thing.

The Series 3 was launched in September 2006. MRV? Not available until the end of 2007. Remote Scheduling? The THR22 can do that. TiVo Desktop - well, it could stream music and photos, and guess what, so can the THR22 without needing a dedicated "desktop" application. OTA? Available if you need it - most DirecTV users don't. Oh, and the Series 3 cost $800 in 2006 (with a hard drive half the size of the THR22.)
I still don't get why everyone forgets kidzone. It is literally the number one feature of TiVo for me and the THR-22 is the ONLY TiVo not to have it. DirecTV parental controls are a complete clusterf***.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The Premiere no longer has it. They removed it in the Fall 2012 update.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Adam1115
20,000!!!

REALLY? Wow, that's crazy, I loved that feature. It worked SO well!
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I couldn't care less about KidZone, but a bunch of people were upset about it. Apparently TiVo did not want to update it for the HDUI.

The upcoming user profiles may be an alternative, but we won't know until the Spring 2013 update.

Of course, none of this applies to the DirecTV box. I doubt it ever gets an upgrade.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #37
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Not for programming alone, but if you add in the hikes to the service fees, equipment fees, and premium channel fees together, some this year are reporting 10-15% increases to their bill (threads on the dbstalk forum). I suspect it depends how many boxes, and what programs you subscribe to. My bill averaged a $5/mo increase this year.

My point was that all providers raise prices every year, not just Comcast.
They all do raise their prices every year. Some people exaggerate when they talk about their increases. It's a very competitive business and all of the providers tend to keep their pricing in the same range and that includes price increases. If they don't they will lose subscribers to one of the others.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
kews12

I am in the process of looking to upgrade to HD & was planning on upgrading both recieers to TiVo, but now Im unsure that going back to TiVo will be the right move if the software is so problematic. I have hated the loss of TiVo with Direct TV, but live where cable is not an option. The DVR misses programs as well as cuts off programs early, a problem we never had with TiVo. I dont use On Demand or any other features other than scheduling via the DirecTv mobile app, so thinking maybe the issues wont affect me, but if TiVo is having issues with not functioning properly, maybe I should just stick with their DVR.
kews12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would recommend staying with the DirecTV DVRs. From what you wrote in the other post, the TiVo-based THR22 holds no advantage for you, and it costs more.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
sk33t3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I would recommend staying with the DirecTV DVRs. From what you wrote in the other post, the TiVo-based THR22 holds no advantage for you, and it costs more.
I think Im going to go the hr24 upgrade route myself, Directv offered me HR24 or THR22 as a free replacement for my ailing dsr7000. Of course weaknees sells refurbed dsr7x for about $200, not HD though
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote