TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
austinpike

MoCA losing connection

A couple days ago I set up a MoCA network with a handful of Actiontec MI424-WR (rev F) routers off eBay. Configured using info on AVS forum (apparently I can't post links yet...) - basically - disable wireless, disable broadband coax, disable IP address distribution, assign unique IP.

My setup is CenturyLink Q1000 DSL (bridge mode) -> Netgear WNR100 -> everything else. Comcast for digital TV service. I've got two TiVo Premieres, an HD, and an S3. The HD is direct ethernet; the primary Actiontec + Netgear are at the same location. Premieres and S3 on MoCA. Everything worked great, I could transfer between all of them much better than I ever could on wireless. Went to bed, got up the next morning, and none of them could see each other.

Verified from a computer that I could not log in to the admin screen of the 3 remote Actiontecs. The primary one, connected to the router, I could get to OK. After rebooting/ unplugging/ the remote Actiontecs, everything eventually came back up. Next day, again, all had lost connection.

The wiring in my house is far from optimal, I know there are a couple of splitters buried in walls with no way to get to them. In the interest of trying to minimize loss, I'm using a Holland DPD2 diplexer to split the frequencies at each coax outlet (vhf outlet to tivo, sat to actiontec.) I put a 4way 2-2150MHz splitter at the cable inlet - SWM MSPLIT4R0-03 - with a POE filter on the input side. Frankly I was surprised it all worked. But it did.

I'm not including a number of details here for the sake of brevity. I can certainly provide more if it would help. It just seems like there may be something basic I'm missing in the router settings. The only other obvious thing I can come up with is trying to reduce signal loss - at the HD TiVo outlet, it reports cable strength as 62. The other TiVos are around 85-100. The HD outlet is also where I have the first ActionTec feeding into the rest of the house, so given that that line is weak, could that be problem? Can a weak signal manifest as having connection for awhile, but eventually dropping out?

(edit - checked Coax Connection Stats for MoCA speed on the primary Actiontec - all devices appear to be ~235-240 Mbps.)

I can run some temporary cables to other locations to troubleshoot, maybe test one coax outlet at a time - but given the connection takes hours+ to drop, that will be a long process. If it is just a router setting, I'd rather figure that out first.

Last edited by austinpike : 02-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post
In the interest of trying to minimize loss, I'm using a Holland DPD2 diplexer to split the frequencies at each coax outlet (vhf outlet to tivo, sat to actiontec.) I put a 4way 2-2150MHz splitter at the cable inlet - SWM MSPLIT4R0-03 - with a POE filter on the input side. Frankly I was surprised it all worked. But it did.
I don't think you're minimizing any loss by using diplexers and they may be contributing to the drop off. For starters, I'd try simple 2-way wide band splitters at the tivos and router.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
shamilian

Tivo and actiontec router...

My problem is caused by Verizon FIOS actiontec router bridging function. While the router allows bridging it handles igmp/multicasting in a special way.

The router bridges ethernet/moca/wifi but uses an igmp proxy and limits the use of multicast on on theses segments. Depending on the version of the router you have you will be able to turn of igmp proxy and allow multicast to your tivo hosts.

It also affects itunes sharing which also uses multicast.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-In...ht/true/page/2

I previously had a TivoHD on the moca link, so i did not notice any problem. When I moved a premiere on to the moca link, the premiere which worked fine before, started showing the SDUI interface for the remote My Shows screens. And the other premieres which tried to access that unit also started showing the SDUI interface for the remote My Shows to that unit.

It appears the new interface requires the use of multicast, I am not sure why they made this requirement as it is just 2 peer Tivos exchanging information.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
austinpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I don't think you're minimizing any loss by using diplexers and they may be contributing to the drop off. For starters, I'd try simple 2-way wide band splitters at the tivos and router.
Thanks, I replaced the diplexers and the SWM 4-way and managed to optimize a couple other things. Everything seems pretty solid now, once in awhile one of the remote tivos will drop off the now playing list of the others, but a router reboot or forcing a network connection seems to bring it back up. Hopefully it will all settle in now that I'm done unplugging/reconnecting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Depending on the version of the router you have you will be able to turn of igmp proxy and allow multicast to your tivo hosts
Thanks for the heads up, the Actiontecs have a checkbox to turn off IGMP.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote