TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Highlander

About To Buy First Tivo (Premiere HD) Have A Few Key Questions

As the title says, I am looking into purchasing my first Tivo. Something I had wanted to do for a very long time, but I was awaiting the ability to access Comcast Xfinity On Demand, which has finally come to Michigan. This will replace my primary Comcast (Motorola) HD-DVR ( I have 2)

I do have some important questions first, though.

The base model Premiere, as you know, offers 500gb and 75 hours of HD programming. The next model up doubles that, which is about the capacity I want. However, from $137.00-249.00 (Amazon pricing) is a large jump. Is it better to get the more expensive model, or add the Western Digital external drive which bumps storage up even further?

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-...iere+500gb+dvr

Or, can the internal drive be upgraded as a better option? And is that difficult to do?

One review I read said that the Tivo needs a phone line. Is that correct? My land line is long gone

Thank you, in advance for any assistance with this. I'm really looking forward to dumping the Comcast box and its idiosyncracies and limited storage.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Premiere does not have a modem to begin with, and can just hook to your router/network. Using an external can bring problems and lose recordings if either the internal or external fail. If you are leery of doing an upsize of the internal, just get the larger model. Another alternative is to transfer the recordings to a computer for storage.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
The base model Premiere, as you know, offers 500gb and 75 hours of HD programming. The next model up doubles that, which is about the capacity I want. However, from $137.00-249.00 (Amazon pricing) is a large jump. Is it better to get the more expensive model, or add the Western Digital external drive which bumps storage up even further?

Thank you, in advance for any assistance with this. I'm really looking forward to dumping the Comcast box and its idiosyncracies and limited storage.
It's curious that tivo.com and walmart.com don't carry the 150 hour model. I also suggest using the free TiVo Desktop to offload programs. I installed it on a laptop using Win7 that I seldom use. I added a 1TB WD Freeagent USB drive to hold the shows. Transfer rate is about 1/3 of viewing time and you can start playing the stored shows almost at once. Transfer rates vary of course. You will need to factor the cost of the cable card. It might be free.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Premiere does not have a modem to begin with, and can just hook to your router/network. Using an external can bring problems and lose recordings if either the internal or external fail. If you are leery of doing an upsize of the internal, just get the larger model. Another alternative is to transfer the recordings to a computer for storage.
Thanks for the clarification. Does it require a hardwired connection to your router, or will it work wirelessly? Also, I've no real concerns about physically replacing the internal drive with something larger, but is there any issue with formatting the replacement drive?

John
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Does it require a hardwired connection to your router, or will it work wirelessly? Also, I've no real concerns about physically replacing the internal drive with something larger, but is there any issue with formatting the replacement drive?

John
A wireless dual band adapter is under $90. Or you can get the G for much less. When you attach the external drive the TiVo will detect it and do the work. It mates to the TiVo, so you can't move it a new unit without losing the contents. Also, all new content is stored on the external drive first.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A wireless dual band adapter is under $90. Or you can get the G for much less. When you attach the external drive the TiVo will detect it and do the work. It mates to the TiVo, so you can't move it a new unit without losing the contents. Also, all new content is stored on the external drive first.
New content is not stored on the external first. It's alternated between the 2 drives.

I don't mean one show goes on one and the next goes on the other, I mean each show is divided up over the two drives, so you have to have both drives to have all of the show.

They had to keep the "content providers" from blowing a gasket when they introduced the external drive idea.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
New content is not stored on the external first. It's alternated between the 2 drives.

I don't mean one show goes on one and the next goes on the other, I mean each show is divided up over the two drives, so you have to have both drives to have all of the show.

They had to keep the "content providers" from blowing a gasket when they introduced the external drive idea.
That explains why I lost all the shows when I removed the drive. Wrong conclusion on my part.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
As the title says, I am looking into purchasing my first Tivo. Something I had wanted to do for a very long time, but I was awaiting the ability to access Comcast Xfinity On Demand, which has finally come to Michigan. This will replace my primary Comcast (Motorola) HD-DVR ( I have 2)

I do have some important questions first, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-...iere+500gb+dvr

Or, can the internal drive be upgraded as a better option? And is that difficult to do?

One review I read said that the Tivo needs a phone line. Is that correct? My land line is long gone

2TB is the largest single drive a TiVo can work with currently, and upgrading the internal drive to one means no external without paying big bucks to a specialty house.

But if you're comfortable opening up a PC and swapping hard drives and other components in it, then you should be able to do the upgrade to a 2TB yourself.

You could use a 1TB instead, or a 1.5, but the 2TB will give you your best bang for the buck, GB/$ wise.

The WD20EURS seems to be the default favorite, especially if you can catch one when newegg and Amazon are price matching each other at $100--free shipping.

We can walk you through it.

If your PC has a GigaByte brand motherboard, though, say so, 'cause there's something against which you'll need to take precautions.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
What is the "G"?

John
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
What is the "G"?

John
Tivo branded Wireless G Network adapter.

There is also a Wireless N Network adapter, these are the only wireless adapters supported by Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
What is the "G"?

John
Presumably, he's talking about a Wireless-G adapter as oppsed to Wireless-N. Wireless is not built-in to the TiVo so you will need to use an adapter if you want to connect via wireless. I would urge you to use a wired connection if at all possible. The TiVo Premiere does have built-in Ethernet.

I would also urge you to consider using pyTivo+kmttg as an alternative to TiVo Desktop. A bit more trouble to install and configure but, IMHO, well worth the effort.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
jcthorne

If you do not have a wired ethernet connection available, a moca connection using the same coax cable the tv signal arrives on is strongly suggested to any of the wireless options.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

Upgrading the internal HD is pretty easy.

Have you checked out the Upgrade forum yet? Here is a link to the HD upgrade thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Again, lots of people here who can answer any specific questions that you have.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If you do not have a wired ethernet connection available, a moca connection using the same coax cable the tv signal arrives on is strongly suggested to any of the wireless options.
This depends on the quality of your wireless connection. Yes, wired is better. I originally used a wireless connection and it worked fine for mine. I made sure the wireless access point was at an optimal location for my TiVo.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
sieglinde

I have a TiVo with an external drive and have been extremely lucky with it but others have had problems with it. The drive needs to be on the same UPS as the TiVo because in the case of a power outage you want both to reboot about the same timer. My TiVo HD started rebooting spontaneously so I bought the 2 Terebyte Premier and it holds more programs than my HD plus the eternal drive. I am not transferring programs to my computer though so I cannot compare that option.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
sieglinde

Another thing is my programs are sharper off of the Premier and my HD are connected with identical HD cables on the same cable company so the only difference is the TiVo.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
jasew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo branded Wireless G Network adapter.

There is also a Wireless N Network adapter, these are the only wireless adapters supported by Tivo.
At $90, the wireless adapters are overrpriced by Tivo. For less money you can get a wireless bridge and connect multiple devices (TV, Blu-ray player, X-box, etc) to it.
jasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Adding an additional 150 hours HD capacity is simple with the WD 1Tb My DVR Expander.
It comes complete w/esata cable. It is available via Best Buy for $99.99. Upgrading the internal drive would void any warranty, adding the exrenal won't.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Adding an additional 150 hours HD capacity is simple with the WD 1Tb My DVR Expander.
It comes complete w/esata cable. It is available via Best Buy for $99.99. Upgrading the internal drive would void any warranty, adding the exrenal won't.
Yes there are +s & -s to either option I have done both (internal upgrades & used external extenders) and I am still use TiVos with both upgrade options. Both work fine and both can have problems. Personally if I were buying a new Premiere I would wait 90 days then do an internal upgrade to 2TB.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote