TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
sharkster

Wish List gone mad!

What the heck? First of all, I have the auto-wishlist thing completely turned off so I don't have any wish list items unless I set them. That's the way I like it.

Recently I have set a couple of movies on Wish List so that when they hit HBO or Showtime, or whatever, they will record.

That was fine for months but all of a sudden today I find, in my 'to do' list, all kinds of shows that have some of those words in their titles and even some that don't. For example, one show it started recording is called CSI: Miami. I have never watched a CSI show in my life and none of my wishlist movie titles have those words in it. I found all kinds of stuff like that, as well as a bunch of shows I've never heard of in my to do list. So I guess you can't just wishlist a movie title anymore.

I'm assuming that they are 'wishlist' generated because each one has, to the left, a little white star above two blue checkmarks.

Since the last couple of updates (I have Premieres), there are a lot of weird little problems that I cannot explain. I sure hope they are working on this stuff. I absolutely HATE the search function since I replaced my old Series 2 Tivos with Premieres anyway but it seems like it just gets worse and worse.

Ok, rant over. Happy Day to all!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Did you use enter the words in a title search or a keyword search? Keywords will pick up if the words are in the descriptions.

Also, if you go under Wish List one of the first two item displays all wishlists that match a program and displays those programs. It's an easy way to check to see if this is a Wish List problem.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
sharkster

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was an operator (me) problem, or a Wish List problem. All I know is that when I did the search I chose the response that was specifically the movie I was looking for, as opposed to just choosing the word without reference.

I figured that would make the wishlist result ONLY apply to that movie and not just anything with that word, or anything like it, in the title. I guess I was wrong.

The feeling I do have is that the fact that it was a single-word movie title caused confusion with Wish List. Of the choices given, after I had spelled out the word, I did choose the one that referenced the movie specifically. It had the movie title, the year of the movie release, etc. But I have the impression that 'wish list' was unable to discern that, after I completed it, and chose to record everything within the galaxy of having that word, or even notion, in it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

I have had a couple of wish lists where if I had just used a word in the title I would have gotten a ton of programs recorded. In these cases I usually make sure to enter an actor or two who are in the movie. That pretty much is all it takes to identify the exact movie.

You also know that you can enter in a word that you don't want. For my NFL wish list I entered the word follies and then went back and displayed the words and with follies highlighted entered the thumbs down so a negative sign appeared in front of it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
sharkster

I did not know that. Thanks so much for your help. Truth be told, for all the 9 years that I've had Tivos (8 years with Series 2 boxes and just about one year now with my Premieres), I never really used the wish list feature.

When I'm anticipating new shows, or watching for movies, I usually just diary it on my living room laptop to come up 3-7 days before air date and that way I can catch it for scheduling. I think I'll stick with that.

I've just been wanting to watch for a few fairly recent release movies and, since you never know when they will hit cable, I figured wish list was the way to go. I also get Entertainment Weekly and find that is pretty helpful because it lets you know of SOME stuff coming up.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Yes, I do that for movies that I want to see, but know I am not going to catch them in the theaters.

However, I probably have 75 wish list items. (Only a handful or so are for movies.)