Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #31
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaas View Post
Timely thread for me! I just started watching a couple of weeks ago. Not ready to jump on the best-series-ever bandwagon yet; definitely up there though.

BUT...

I finished season one and was looking forward to season two. I'm two episodes in and NOT feeling it. I don't find the huge new 'docks' cast and stories compelling (really? - stained glass window is a plot point?) and my favs from the season one seem to just be drifting on the periphery.

Now, I know enough of the bio's of some of the actors in S1 to know they'll be back, but can someone offer encouragement/assurance that it picks up soon? Was S2 the weakest season? Just a slow simmer to start? Is it just me?
By the end of Season 2 I was satisfied. The dock plot didn't grab me as much as "the corner boys" stories... but ultimately there are significant tie-ins between the Greek mafia and Prop Joe and the rest that it all makes sense. And, if I recall, Marlo makes more of an appearance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #32
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I'll just say that I can't think of a single show besides The Wire where there are so many characters that I feel like I know so much about, care about, root for, root against across 5 seasons than anything else.

Not like there are a half dozen good characters, there are dozens and dozens, it's insane.
Almost like there are no throwaway characters.
This is the only show that I've watched where the characters could be real, flesh and blood people.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I'll just say that I can't think of a single show besides The Wire where there are so many characters that I feel like I know so much about, care about, root for, root against across 5 seasons than anything else.

Not like there are a half dozen good characters, there are dozens and dozens, it's insane.
Almost like there are no throwaway characters.
Homicide: Life on the Street, a show I see as this show's parents is the same way. I really wish I could rewatch H:LOTS on Netflix.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
danterner
Not it!

With a couple of notable exceptions, I haven't seen many of the actors from The Wire pop up on other shows or movies. It's always fun when I catch one. Like seeing Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) in "Prometheus," or like seeing Andre Royo (Bubbles) as a cab driver in Fringe (alongside Lance Reddick, no less), or Diedre Lovejoy (Rhonda) on American Horror Story: Asylum, or Jim True-Frost (Prez) on 666 Park Ave, or Aiden Gillen (Tommy Carcetti) on Game of Thrones and then on The Dark Knight Rises. For some reason, I always have great difficulty placing where I know them from. I think it is a testament to their acting; they embodied their characters so fully on The Wire that seeing them play a different character is like watching an entirely different person.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Homicide: Life on the Street, a show I see as this show's parents is the same way. I really wish I could rewatch H:LOTS on Netflix.
Yep, both created by David Simon.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
With a couple of notable exceptions, I haven't seen many of the actors from The Wire pop up on other shows or movies.
The Good Wife has had a ton of actors from The Wire. The shows creators are big fans.

http://tvline.com/2011/05/04/the-goo...-seth-gilliam/
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote