TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #8701
chiguy50

Comcast's CableCARD support gets a lot of (justifiable) flak. It's nice to see that, for once, they were on the ball and not at fault for the TiVo's interoperability issues.

You could lay this one at TiVo tech support's doorstep; but it's also possible that your problem was an outlier since we still don't know exactly what the cause was.

At any rate, congratulations on your persistence; hope you will find it was worth the effort in the end. And thanks for posting the details here for posterity's sake.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #8702
GTrotter4

I bought a brand new TiVo XL4 off of eBay for $350. I picked up a cable card from Comcast and called the self-install number. The card validated and connected but none of the authorization information appeared on the conditional access screen.

I called TiVo technical support and told them about the conditional access screen problem. The agent was nice and courteous and was pretty confident it was a Comcast problem (probably a bad card, wrong pairing information or something wrong with the DAC (headend)). So I picked up 3 different cable cards and spent MANY hours with wonderful Comcast tech support agents (1-855-425-9120). 2 different advanced Techs assured me that everything was correct on their end (they even confirmed with my local Atlanta headend)

I called TiVo back and they agreed to do an RMA and send me a different TiVo. I then put the same cable card in the new unit, called Comcast self-pairing hotline and 1 minute later I have all my channels.
GTrotter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #8703
MathiasRex

Pickup CableCard OK in Bay Area, less luck with channels

I'm in San Francisco and was able to pick up my multi-stream Cable Card for my Premiere XL4 box from the local office here. Charge is a reasonable $1 and change per month.

When I first plugged it in, basic cable channels came in only. No extended cable or premium channels.

Spent several hours with at least 4 reps from Comcast performing various tasks, including getting cut off a couple of times as I was bounced from place to place. Read the specs to them several times as well, Cable Card ID, Host ID, Data, etc.

At the end of all this we were no further along. No extended channels or premium channels. It was extremely frustrating but I'm sympathetic with customer service reps and won't blame them.

A tech was sent in a couple of days (was pleased with speed of that) and had it fixed in a few minutes after talking with the internal tech at the office.

That was two weeks ago. Guess what? Today I've lost many of the basic cable channels! They're coming in fine to a Comcast box in another part of my home, just not through the XL4 with the CableCard. A quick call to Comcast and a reset did not solve it, so another tech is coming in two days (fast again) and I'm sure they'll nail it.

A mixed bag here, then, overall pleased with the techs that come out and how quickly they're sent. A lot trickier dealing with the phone reps.

Mathias
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #8704
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRex View Post
That was two weeks ago. Guess what? Today I've lost many of the basic cable channels! They're coming in fine to a Comcast box in another part of my home, just not through the XL4 with the CableCard.
Apparently there is more to cablecards than the pairing. I had this exact same problem about a year ago. Turned out they had the cablecard info correct, but the billing department had somehow changed the cablecard to a different programming tier than the one I was paying for. Apparently their system can have different packages assigned to different boxes on the same account (no idea why). They had my main Tivo as Digital Preferred, but had changed the second Tivo to digital economy or something like that. So one box worked, and the other appeared to be unpaired.

Tech got the office to match up all the billing with the cablecard, and it popped right back on, and has been fine since.

Also, it took a tech visit to figure it out, because it seems the cablecard people did not have access to the billing info on the account, so they never noticed the two cablecards were assigned different programming tiers.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8705
boshk

hello, i have a series 3 and i just replaced 2 single stream cards that started to act up on me. the audio was cutting out on all channels, and the picture was pixelating and artifacting. so i exchanged it for a multi stream card and everything worked fine. except that apparently the series 3 is so stupid that it has to have 2 cards to use both tuners. so i went back and picked up a second multi stream (thats all comcast has now apparently) card and installed it. now i have the artifacting and sound problem back. each card individually works fine, and i tried the first card in the second slot by itself and vice versa. both worked fine individually. but whenever i have two cards in, i have problems. tried rebooting, and running through the guided setup again, but it didnt work. has this happened to anyone else? anyone have any ideas?
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #8706
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshk View Post
hello, i have a series 3 and i just replaced 2 single stream cards that started to act up on me. the audio was cutting out on all channels, and the picture was pixelating and artifacting. so i exchanged it for a multi stream card and everything worked fine. except that apparently the series 3 is so stupid that it has to have 2 cards to use both tuners. so i went back and picked up a second multi stream (thats all comcast has now apparently) card and installed it. now i have the artifacting and sound problem back. each card individually works fine, and i tried the first card in the second slot by itself and vice versa. both worked fine individually. but whenever i have two cards in, i have problems. tried rebooting, and running through the guided setup again, but it didnt work. has this happened to anyone else? anyone have any ideas?
It could be the drive. With only 1 card installed only one tuner will buffer to the drive. It's possible the drive is failing and can't handle two streams at once, but works with one. An easy way to test this is to put both cards in and then tune to a non-existent channel on one of the tuners and see if the other one is okay.

Note that pixelation and sound issues is rarely a problem with the card, especially in the S3 which has 2 cards. The chances of both cards failing at the same time is almost impossible.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #8707
boshk

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It could be the drive. With only 1 card installed only one tuner will buffer to the drive. It's possible the drive is failing and can't handle two streams at once, but works with one. An easy way to test this is to put both cards in and then tune to a non-existent channel on one of the tuners and see if the other one is okay.

Note that pixelation and sound issues is rarely a problem with the card, especially in the S3 which has 2 cards. The chances of both cards failing at the same time is almost impossible.
i just replaced my stock drive with a 1TB wd caviar green. so its not the drive failing... could it be because i enabled supersize?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #8708
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Only having multistream cards in stock is an FCC thing. How's your SNR and signal level?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #8709
unitron

Quote:
The original Series 3 was brought to market before the standards for the M cards were finalized, so it has to use one card per tuner, whether it's a S or an M card. Not really TiVo's fault.

It's quite possible, since your TiVo is older than a Series 4 and newer than a Series 1, that the power supply is suffering from "capacitor plague" and can't quite provide enough current for both cards and tuners.

Pop the top and look for bulges.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #8710
morac
Cat God

Quote:

i just replaced my stock drive with a 1TB wd caviar green. so its not the drive failing... could it be because i enabled supersize?
Assuming your SNR levels are good, if the problem started right after replacing the drive, then I would suspect the new drive is faulty. Try putting the original drive back in and see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #8711
boshk

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The original Series 3 was brought to market before the standards for the M cards were finalized, so it has to use one card per tuner, whether it's a S or an M card. Not really TiVo's fault.

It's quite possible, since your TiVo is older than a Series 4 and newer than a Series 1, that the power supply is suffering from "capacitor plague" and can't quite provide enough current for both cards and tuners.

Pop the top and look for bulges.
so the multi stream cards require more power to run?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #8712
unitron

Quote:
so the multi stream cards require more power to run?
I do not know if the M cards draw more current than the S cards, but it's basic Ohm's law (with a little Kirchhoff and Thevenin thrown in) that 2 cards, connected across the power supply output in parallel (and in parallel with all the other stuff drawing current) will draw more current than one card.

If your power supply is starting to go bad due to "capacitor plague" (and with Series 2 and Series 3 TiVos that's actually quite likely), then adding the additional currrent draw of the second card will cause the output voltage to sag and if it sags enough for a particle of a second it'll make the CPU reset and if it doesn't get quite that bad it still means not enough current to go around for everything to work properly.

There have been reports from other users on this site of a second card crashing their TiVo until they fixed their power supplies.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #8713
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
it's basic Ohm's law (with a little Kirchhoff and Thevenin thrown in).
What, no love for Norton?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #8714
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
What, no love for Norton?
Care and Feeding of Electrons 101 was a long time ago, and it was part of a servicing degree program, not a 4 year EE deal, so he didn't immediately come to mind.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #8715
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Care and Feeding of Electrons 101 was a long time ago, and it was part of a servicing degree program, not a 4 year EE deal, so he didn't immediately come to mind.
IMO Norton was always second banana to Thevenin even with an EE degree (kinda like Fourier to Laplace). I was just voicing my appreciation for the mention of Ohm, Kirchhoff, and Thevenin after all those years I spent dealing with their work in dusty old textbooks and blue books.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #8716
boshk

Quote:
I do not know if the M cards draw more current than the S cards, but it's basic Ohm's law (with a little Kirchhoff and Thevenin thrown in) that 2 cards, connected across the power supply output in parallel (and in parallel with all the other stuff drawing current) will draw more current than one card.

If your power supply is starting to go bad due to "capacitor plague" (and with Series 2 and Series 3 TiVos that's actually quite likely), then adding the additional currrent draw of the second card will cause the output voltage to sag and if it sags enough for a particle of a second it'll make the CPU reset and if it doesn't get quite that bad it still means not enough current to go around for everything to work properly.

There have been reports from other users on this site of a second card crashing their TiVo until they fixed their power supplies.
i only asked because i had 2 single stream cards in it for probably 4-5 years, and swapped them for multi stream ones.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #8717
unitron

Quote:
i only asked because i had 2 single stream cards in it for probably 4-5 years, and swapped them for multi stream ones.
I don't know if they have labels that specify current draw or not, having never been near one, but I wouldn't expect the difference to be all that large, especially since the M cards probably use slightly newer, more efficient electronics.

But I would expect 2 of them to draw twice as much current as 1, and for other people with power supply problems, that's been enough to crash the TiVo.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #8718
tewill

Just wanted to pass along some key information I learned while trying to get a Comcast cable card working with my new TiVo Premiere 4, in case this hasn't been mentioned before.

After 4-5 calls in to the special Comcast TiVo department, and hours of time lost, I was told it was likely I had a bad card. The problem was that my new TiVo would just hang indefinitely at 75% when trying to acquire channels. After reading some posts in this thread, I was concerned that a new card wouldn't solve the problem. So, when speaking with the CSR in person at my local Comcast office, I asked if there was something I could do to ensure that the second card I got worked. He asked if I had a Premiere, then quickly went back and grabbed another card that, unlike my first card, had a gold strip on the end where it plugs into the TiVo. He said that the cards with this gold strip tend to work better with Premieres, and sure enough, with the new card my TiVo was up and running almost immediately with no issues.

I can't say for sure that my success wasn't just due to the first card being broken and the second being functional, but you might want to ask your Comcast CSR if they have one of these cable cards with the gold strip, especially if you're experiencing issues.
tewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #8719
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Ok so here's something weird with my card billing - I had 3 cards as of last November, then Comcast decided to start charging me an outlet fee for each extra card (2x$9.95) minus the $2.50 credits for each on the end of the month's bill. I wasn't using one of them so I returned it, and as expected they took one off the bill. I have no other boxes with them, just a DTA at $1.99/mo (which used to be free, but that's another rant).

What I didn't expect was that a couple of weeks later (late Dec.), they took the other one off the bill too (that I'm still using) AND still gave me the credit! So as of my latest bill I now have 2 cards and 2x$2.50 credits and am not charged for either. I have no idea how or why this happened, but I'm wondering if they've reversed course on outlet fees for cards or if it's the usual local Comcast lottery.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #8720
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have no idea how or why this happened, but I'm wondering if they've reversed course on outlet fees for cards or if it's the usual local Comcast lottery.
The latter.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #8721
chiguy50

Quote:
Ok so here's something weird with my card billing - I had 3 cards as of last November, then Comcast decided to start charging me an outlet fee for each extra card (2x$9.95) minus the $2.50 credits for each on the end of the month's bill. I wasn't using one of them so I returned it, and as expected they took one off the bill. I have no other boxes with them, just a DTA at $1.99/mo (which used to be free, but that's another rant).

What I didn't expect was that a couple of weeks later (late Dec.), they took the other one off the bill too (that I'm still using) AND still gave me the credit! So as of my latest bill I now have 2 cards and 2x$2.50 credits and am not charged for either. I have no idea how or why this happened, but I'm wondering if they've reversed course on outlet fees for cards or if it's the usual local Comcast lottery.
Congratulations! It's probably their billing dept.'s usually SNAFU methodology, but perhaps there is a correlation to your other billed services. What are you getting on your combined Comcast account and at what price?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #8722
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

$80/mo. for all non-premium channels and Blast internet.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #8723
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I wish that was offered near me. The only double play package I see Blast Internet plus Digital Economy for $83. Digital Economy omits many popular channels like Cartoon Network and Syfy.

I'm currently on a special package where I get Blast and all channels plus HBO and Starz! for $80, but that expires next month.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #8724
chiguy50

Quote:
Are you referring to the "Digital Preferred" tier with no additional programming (e.g., sports entertainment)? Do you have any Comcast equipment other than the two CC's and the DTA and, if so, is there a separate charge for it (e.g., cable modem)? Are you on a special promotion or did you qualify for any other discounts? How much are you paying in total every month including equipment charges and discounts?

I'm trying to figure out whether there is a logical explanation for the dismissal of your "additional outlet" charge or whether it's an anomaly that could be short-lived. Based on what you've mentioned to date, it sounds like a mistake that will eventually be corrected, but it would be nice to find out that you've somehow managed to legitimately avoid the "TiVo penalty" charge.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #8725
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, preferred with nothing other than 2 CCs and a DTA. My total bill w/taxes is $80/mo (the card credits offset taxes and the DTA).

It is their usual new customer double play promo, but I keep getting them to re-up me on it when it expires because I tell them that U-Verse has a better deal and I can switch (not that I will). The 2nd card was taken off the bill a couple of weeks after I re-up'd again in December.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #8726
chiguy50

Quote:
Yep, preferred with nothing other than 2 CCs and a DTA. My total bill w/taxes is $80/mo (the card credits offset taxes and the DTA).

It is their usual new customer double play promo, but I keep getting them to re-up me on it when it expires because I tell them that U-Verse has a better deal and I can switch (not that I will). The 2nd card was taken off the bill a couple of weeks after I re-up'd again in December.
So . . . it there any line entry on your current bill for either of the CableCARDs? Or are the two COE credits the only indication that Comcast knows you have two of their CC's and are using them in your own equipment?

I'm scratching my head on this one. Perhaps the bonobos in billing have assumed that you're using both remaining CC's in the same device? Previously, that would have meant a charge of about $2.00 for the second card. But now that Comcast is imposing the $10 "additional outlet" fee in lieu of a legitimate CC fee, two CC's in one device would presumably remain free of charge.

Just curious: What is your zip code? Both lpwcomp and I are in the ATL and are still paying the "TiVo penalty" fee, as I like to call it.

Last edited by chiguy50 : 02-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #8727
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Only the 2 credits and the DTA are on my bill, I'm in 30106 (Austell). Both cards have full authorization so they are still on my account just not on the bill. Yep, it's weird, because the 2nd card (and outlet) was taken off 2 weeks after I returned the 3rd card and got my deal renewed, for no reason that I can see.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #8728
chiguy50

Quote:
Only the 2 credits and the DTA are on my bill, I'm in 30106 (Austell). Both cards have full authorization so they are still on my account just not on the bill. Yep, it's weird, because the 2nd card (and outlet) was taken off 2 weeks after I returned the 3rd card and got my deal renewed, for no reason that I can see.
As we know, Comcast's service and billing are two separate departments and their operations don't always sync, so it's not really weird in my book--any more than it's weird that folks have been getting billed for premium channels but don't obtain the proper CC authorization to receive those channels.

I hope your current arrangement will stick, but please let us know if anything changes. For my part, I'm getting comped for the $10 "digital service" fee (that's how it appears on my bill) through Jun/Jul of this year, but when that credit ends I plan to go back at Comcast to get it removed. In the meantime, I can't really complain since my total monthly bill is a negative $5.80, and my current running total is a credit of $39.21.

BTW, I'm in zip 30324.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #8729
lil.wabby

Comcast Cablecard issue

At least twice a week, I get a freeze out and then cablecard screen on both my tivos. I was on the phone for hours with Comcast and the Cable company. Each pointing fingers at the other. So through all this here is what I have found. When this happens, I unplug the TiVo and let it reset. Then hit live tv button twice and then hit the Tivo button so that I can get to my recordings.

What a pain, but it works.. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks
lil.wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #8730
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil.wabby View Post
At least twice a week, I get a freeze out and then cablecard screen on both my tivos. I was on the phone for hours with Comcast and the Cable company. Each pointing fingers at the other. So through all this here is what I have found. When this happens, I unplug the TiVo and let it reset. Then hit live tv button twice and then hit the Tivo button so that I can get to my recordings.

What a pain, but it works.. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks
When you say unplug the TiVo, do you mean unplug the AC cord from the wall socket, unplug the cable company cable from the tuner input, or the Ethernet cable or what?

If it was just one TiVo doing it, I'd ask if you'd looked at your capacitors lately.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to check them on both machines anyway.