TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #2071
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
Sorry if this has been answered - I admittedly didn't read ALL Of the 69 pages in this thread, but I read a good portion of it, and did some searches with no results.... so..

I've got a 2-tuner Premier that I upgraded to 1tb when I first got it several years ago. I have the original disk (hasn't ever even booted in the Tivo) so I do have a "backup plan", but now I've got probably 800g of shows saved, plus all the season passes and configs, and I'm seeing evidence that the hard drive might be going bad. Occasional freeze of video that eventually end up in the Tivo rebooting, etc.. so I'm thinking it's time to be a little bit proactive.

I'm assuming that I could pop the 1tb drive out, and use either the jmfs boot disk, or probably even just a basic dd command to clone this drive to another 1tb drive, but I'm wondering if the jmfs disk would let me expand again, say onto a 2tb (or larger?) disk?

Is there a limit to how many times you can expand with the jmfs?

I guess another related question would be whether there'd be a performance disadvantage to going to a larger disk - I remember on my old series 1 Tivo which started with a 13g disk that I upgraded to 500g or so, and at least my perception was that the GUI was less responsive with the big disk

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but if I couldn't find it, perhaps this will help someone else find it later too??

-Steve
You could pick up a WD20EURS and then "Xerox" that 1TB onto it with

ddrescue

which is what jmfs uses, or

dd_rescue

a similar utility found on the MFS Live cd v1.4 (which is handy to have a copy of).

Either way, the bootpage and partition map will be cloned, so the TiVo will think it's still a 1TB drive.

As for expanding, I've never seen any indication anywhere that jmfs is anything other than a one-time deal.

You could use it to copy the original 320GB to the 2TB and expand, but of course that wouldn't save the shows on the 1TB.

There may be someone somewhere who knows how to copy the 1TB to a 2TB and do some fancy hex editing to enlarge that last partition which jmfs put on the 1TB in such a way that the TiVo will accept it, but I haven't seen anything anywhere about anyone having actually done that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #2072
mattack

Apparently no TiVo can even BOOT with a drive bigger than 2 TB in it, even if the filesystem on it only thinks its 2 TB. So at some point we're going to be stuck when < 2 TB drives become scarce.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #2073
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
Sorry if this has been answered - I admittedly didn't read ALL Of the 69 pages in this thread, but I read a good portion of it, and did some searches with no results.... so..

I've got a 2-tuner Premier that I upgraded to 1tb when I first got it several years ago. I have the original disk (hasn't ever even booted in the Tivo) so I do have a "backup plan", but now I've got probably 800g of shows saved, plus all the season passes and configs, and I'm seeing evidence that the hard drive might be going bad. Occasional freeze of video that eventually end up in the Tivo rebooting, etc.. so I'm thinking it's time to be a little bit proactive.

I'm assuming that I could pop the 1tb drive out, and use either the jmfs boot disk, or probably even just a basic dd command to clone this drive to another 1tb drive, but I'm wondering if the jmfs disk would let me expand again, say onto a 2tb (or larger?) disk?

Is there a limit to how many times you can expand with the jmfs?

I guess another related question would be whether there'd be a performance disadvantage to going to a larger disk - I remember on my old series 1 Tivo which started with a 13g disk that I upgraded to 500g or so, and at least my perception was that the GUI was less responsive with the big disk

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but if I couldn't find it, perhaps this will help someone else find it later too??

-Steve
IF it is a stock TP 320G drive AND you used JMFS to create the 1TB. Yes, you can go from the 1TB to a 2TB. It will take 8-10 hrs to copy though.

Tivo's partitions are what determine the amount of times JMFS can copy and expand your TP. Stock it has 14 partitions, JMFS adds 1 partition every time you do an expand. So you get 1 more expand to achieve the max of 16 partitions that the Tivo will work with.

If you bought the 1TB from a dealer.... That would require further details to check on the amount of partitions on that drive.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2074
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
IF it is a stock TP 320G drive AND you used JMFS to create the 1TB. Yes, you can go from the 1TB to a 2TB. It will take 8-10 hrs to copy though.

Tivo's partitions are what determine the amount of times JMFS can copy and expand your TP. Stock it has 14 partitions, JMFS adds 1 partition every time you do an expand. So you get 1 more expand to achieve the max of 16 partitions that the Tivo will work with.

If you bought the 1TB from a dealer.... That would require further details to check on the amount of partitions on that drive.
It is true that JMFS may add a partition (this is definitely true if the 15th partition is an Apple_Free partition) but a premiere TiVo will remove any partition number over 15 from its superheader which effectively making the partition unusable by the Tivo. If you check the partition map it will still be there.

Getting a 2TB and let JMFS copy and expand from your 1TB and report back. It is quite possible that it may just make the third partition larger. I have not looked into that yet so I am not sure of the behavior of JMFS in that situation.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #2075
jmbach

On a different note I see that JMFS source also has windows batch files to run JMFS. At least that's what it looks like. Just not sure how to set up the directory and environment structure to see if it does work in Windows. Java based applications should work quasi universally if the hardware and java version requirements are met. Anybody with any ideas.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #2076
RKofCAL

Straight Backup for New TiVo premiere XL4?

Hi all,

The jmfs procedure provided by comer appears to require that the new drive be larger than the existing TiVo drive (at least that's the way I'm interpreting the specific instructions).

Is this really a requirement? My new TiVo shipped with a 2TB drive and I would like to produce a backup drive with some initialization (such as cable card pairing) but I am already at the size limit. My target drive would be the Western Digital WD20EURS 2TB drive.
RKofCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #2077
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKofCAL View Post
Hi all,

The jmfs procedure provided by comer appears to require that the new drive be larger than the existing TiVo drive (at least that's the way I'm interpreting the specific instructions).

Is this really a requirement? My new TiVo shipped with a 2TB drive and I would like to produce a backup drive with some initialization (such as cable card pairing) but I am already at the size limit. My target drive would be the Western Digital WD20EURS 2TB drive.
jmfs does two things.

It uses

ddrescue

to copy the source drive to the target.

Then, if you tell it to, it'll expand into additional space by adding a single MFS Media partition, and adjusting all of the other partions to make them aware of it.

All you need is the first step.

(You could also do it with

dd_rescue

which is available on the MFS Live cd v1.4)

You do need to make sure that the LBA number of the EURS is as large (or larger) as the LBA number of the TiVo's drive.

And you should run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS first to make sure there's nothing wrong with it before doing the copy, just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #2078
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
jmfs does two things.

It uses

ddrescue

to copy the source drive to the target.

Then, if you tell it to, it'll expand into additional space by adding a single MFS Media partition, and adjusting all of the other partions to make them aware of it.

All you need is the first step.

(You could also do it with

dd_rescue

which is available on the MFS Live cd v1.4)

You do need to make sure that the LBA number of the EURS is as large (or larger) as the LBA number of the TiVo's drive.

And you should run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS first to make sure there's nothing wrong with it before doing the copy, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks, one small follow-up question. I have never used this program, so I have no idea what it can do in terms of drive identification. Since the two drives are of equal size, would one be able to tell which is the proper source drive loaded with the TiVo OS and which is the new blank?
RKofCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #2079
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, one small follow-up question. I have never used this program, so I have no idea what it can do in terms of drive identification. Since the two drives are of equal size, would one be able to tell which is the proper source drive loaded with the TiVo OS and which is the new blank?
First of all, we need to be sure your PC doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard, since if it does there are special precautions to be taken before letting a TiVo drive get anywhere near it.

There's something (although I don't know exactly what) about Series 4 and (apparently by lucky accident) later model Series 3 TiVo drives for which jmfs knows to look, and when it boots up if it finds one it'll offer to let you copy it to another drive.

Be sure you tell it to copy to the empty 2TB and not your Windows drive.

If you're worried about not knowing which drive is which, go back and read the first comment again

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...47#post8143047

where it talks about using

fdisk

and

hdparm

As long as you don't have more than one of the same model number hard drive attached to the computer you should be able to tell them apart.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #2080
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post

WOW, I stand or sit corrected......

I just tried this the 320G to 1 1TB, then the 1TB to a 2TB. And shure enuff the TP asked if I wanted to divorce the external. And I cudda sworn I tried this at least once before.

So I guess you only get one shot at expanding an S4. And Weaknees and DVR-DUDE are wrong about the max 16 partitions in a S4. Unless they have some way around this.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2081
retiredqwest

Quote:
Hi all,

You won't have a problem as long as the target drive is the same model # as the source. And JMFS will squawk if the target drive is too small.

Hook up the source and target drives, run JMFS. It will look for a drive with the MFS O.S. on them. If it only shows one drive you should be good to go. IF it shows 2 drives, flip a coin.

NOOOOO. The best way to find out is write down the drive serial numbers.

eXit out of the JMFS menu and type this command "hdparm -I /dev/sda" (thats an uppercase I), after the screen stops scrolling use <shift> <page up> <page down> to scroll the screen output. Scroll up the screen and at the beginng you will find the drive serial number, write down which S/N is sda. Do it again using "hdparm -I /dev/sdb" and write down which S/N is sdb.

You don't need to reboot to get back to the guide, just type "/root/guide.sh" and go from there.

When you select the copy function the /dev/sda or dev/sdb will be on the same line as the drive info.

AND be prepared..... it takes 18 hours to copy the 2TB to a 2TB..... I know.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #2082
boshk

hi all,
i am trying to create the bootable USB drive for JMFS using the Universal USB installer. every time i boot with the USB i get an
"ERROR: no configuration file found
no defualt or UI configuration directive found"

anyone have any idea what to do to fix that?
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #2083
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshk View Post
hi all,
i am trying to create the bootable USB drive for JMFS using the Universal USB installer. every time i boot with the USB i get an

Hmmm. I have used unetbootin to create bootable USB with JMFS iso. Only time I had a similar problem was when one of my USB sticks went bad. I could not boot with it anymore but could still use it otherwise. Not sure why.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #2084
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I also used UNetbootin to create a bootable JMFS USB drive with no issues. It was an old 8 GB Crucial stick I had hanging around if that helps at all.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #2085
Ziggy86

Is there a youtube video that shows how to make a backup drive for a tivo premiere?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #2086
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

The Definitive Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Premiere - Part I

"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #2087
boshk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshk View Post
hi all,

never mind, i am just a moron. it was a long night and i was trying to make a boot disk from the .iso.zip instead of extracting the .iso and then creating it... once i got that working, upgrading my premiere 4 from 500gb to 2tb was pretty foolproof.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #2088
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
revision 104 - Nov-06-2010 - with Supersize!

**WARNING**
  1. Software is provided with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Please read the licence terms (GPL v3).
  2. Opening your Tivo cover will void manufacturer's warranty.
  3. Although program is not designed to do (and actually attempts to prevent) data loss and distruction, it certainly has a potential to do so. It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to backup, stow away and otherwise protect your data.

If you like my work, buy me a beer... or milk... or a harddrive

OVERVIEW
This is a bootable Linux CD based on Slax distribution. It includes all software tools known to make a harddrive larger than the standard work in Tivo Premiere with expanded capacity.
Basic usage, suitable for most users who only want to expand their Tivo disk capacity, is fully guided, based on simple prompt-choice automated script.

Once again, for clarity's sake, if youd don't want to tinker, experiment and/or dig in the code or Tivo, the "USAGE BASIC" and some hardware is enough to set you up with larger Tivo Premiere drive!

It was ONLY TESTED ON PREMIERE DISK. Also, it was not tested and probably will not work on multi-disk configurations.

The full procedure of making a larger Tivo Premiere disk contains the following:
  1. Taking the original disk out of the Tivo
  2. Copying the original disk onto a new larger one
  3. Doing modifications of structures on the new disk to make extra space available for Tivo
  4. Installing the new disk back into Tivo.
This CD helps in doing steps #2 and #3 of this procedure.

DOWNLOAD

Current: Download link (Mirror thanks coold8! )
MD5 checksum:
Code:
a5ef24d6841f75c5c5cfd5fd703f6069 *./jmfs-rev104.iso.zip
Previous: Download link (Mirror courtesy of coold8 as well)
MD5 checksum:
Code:
c6241f5838cf5d1f4b451229b184f031 *./jmfs-rev68.iso.zip
I wish I could figure out what's going on when I try to download the src. When I go to the mediafire site, I see the two jmfs files there. I click on the src one and I keep getting a screen with a capcha code and a large download button. When I put in the code and click download, it turns out I'm downloading something else.. (different things none of which I want.) Is there some magic to using this site? Do you have to register for it or something?
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #2089
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
I wish I could figure out what's going on when I try to download the src. When I go to the mediafire site, I see the two jmfs files there. I click on the src one and I keep getting a screen with a capcha code and a large download button. When I put in the code and click download, it turns out I'm downloading something else.. (different things none of which I want.) Is there some magic to using this site? Do you have to register for it or something?
Free download services have to be paid for somehow.

In this case they put up stuff for those who don't know any better to click on to be led to something where they might spend some money.

Right click on this link

http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64

which is the first one given in the first post of this thread (the mirror sites seem to have gone belly up)

and click on open in new tab or on open in new window

It helps if you have flashblock installed.

Once you kill the extra pages that get launched you should get to one with the filename in a box in the middle and a download button right below it.

Of course there'll be other stuff on the page meant to distract you and trick you away.

If you're downloading the right think you should get a small gray box popping up that asks if you want to open the file or save it, and it'll have a dropdown box to let you choose where to save it.

If you get something else, kill it and try again.

If it never works, come back and say so and I'll PM you a link.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #2090
pspens

Quote:
Free download services have to be paid for somehow.

If it never works, come back and say so and I'll PM you a link.
This is the page I get:

I attached a jpg file...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg media1.jpg (33.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #2091
pspens

getting jmfs

This is the 2nd page I get when I click on the src file:

again, attaching...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg media2.jpg (57.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #2092
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
This is the 2nd page I get when I click on the src file:

again, attaching...
Son of a gun, I clicked on the green download and it worked this time! I'm pretty sure I tried this before... oh well, I've got the file now... thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #2093
alaska man

succsess

found this while searching for expanded storage for tivo.
i put a WD RED 2T disc ($120.00 shipped ) in;
copied, expanded and supersized.
fired her up and bam, she works.
did the job on my 1st gen intel mac pro, used two of the hard drive bays and easy peasy.
thanks comer. buy that person a beer
alaska man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2094
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska man View Post
found this while searching for expanded storage for tivo.
i put a WD RED 2T disc ($120.00 shipped ) in;
copied, expanded and supersized.
fired her up and bam, she works.
did the job on my 1st gen intel mac pro, used two of the hard drive bays and easy peasy.
thanks comer. buy that person a beer
As it happens, in post #1 of this thread, Comer has a Donate button.

I may have to look into getting one of those myself.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #2095
Ziggy86

I have a Premiere Elite and want to create a backup drive in case my current one crashes. I have two questions.

1. which drive have people been using with good results with the Premiere elite.

2. Will Jmfs still work with these new TiVo units or are there different steps to follow?

Thank you for your help.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #2096
ntrance

ggieseke, I would like to try your compressed Premiere image. I just bought a Premiere without a hard drive installed, and this seems like the easiest way for me to get it working. I can't PM as I don't have enough posts yet.
ntrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #2097
rafaelvelasquez2

Hi fellas,
I recently have been having issues with not enough space on my TiVo Premiere. I came across this site and have been reading and researching for hours now and I think I want to go this route to updating the internal memory in my premier. However, in my hours of searching I could not find a list of current compatible hard drives and thought I should just ask you guys, the professionals.

My question is...Will the WD My Book 2T External hard drive (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN) work for my upgrading needs? (After ripping it apart to get to the drive of course.)

or the....

Fantom GreenDrive Pro 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive 32 MB Cache (GDP2000EU)

Last edited by rafaelvelasquez2 : 02-22-2013 at 01:06 PM.
rafaelvelasquez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #2098
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelvelasquez2 View Post
Hi fellas,
I recently have been having issues with not enough space on my TiVo Premiere. I came across this site and have been reading and researching for hours now and I think I want to go this route to updating the internal memory in my premier. However, in my hours of searching I could not find a list of current compatible hard drives and thought I should just ask you guys, the professionals.

My question is...Will the WD My Book 2T External hard drive (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN) work for my upgrading needs? (After ripping it apart to get to the drive of course.)

or the....

Fantom GreenDrive Pro 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive 32 MB Cache (GDP2000EU)
Just wait for the next time newegg and Amazon drop the WD20EURS to $100 and grab one.

3 year warranty, designed for AV applications.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #2099
rafaelvelasquez2

Quote:
Just wait for the next time newegg and Amazon drop the WD20EURS to $100 and grab one.

3 year warranty, designed for AV applications.
So that WD20EURS would be the best of the best and what everybody should try to get first before looking at other options?
rafaelvelasquez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #2100
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelvelasquez2 View Post
So that WD20EURS would be the best of the best and what everybody should try to get first before looking at other options?
I'm just another TiVo user, not a hard drive engineer, but it's my first choice.