TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #31
CatScratchFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The producers are doing the same crap that we see on football games and other sports shows. Only the male demographic is valuable to them, and they think male viewers won't stay unless they provide eye candy.

They don't give a damn about the people who actually want to watch the show for its content, because they know we'll watch anyway. It's all about catching the eyes of the other people who don't care what they watch.
don't forget about the ones who watch for content and also enjoy looking at beautiful women.
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScratchFever View Post
don't forget about the ones who watch for content and also enjoy looking at beautiful women.
It can't be both. You are either a woman who enjoys the content or a mindless slob of a man that is easily distracted by shiny things.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

I'm a man and easily distracted by those things but these servers weren't one of those things. Food runners are food runners, NTTAWWT. I did find the serving boards ridiculously large for four spoons of food.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
It can't be both. You are either a woman who enjoys the content or a mindless slob of a man that is easily distracted by shiny things.
Presumably the producers think that if someone enjoys the content and has the choice between content only or content + hot women, then viewers who enjoy both will switch to the show which has both.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
WhiskeyTango

The milfy lookin' chick with the attitude, Diane Dimeo was on Chopped a while back and won.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

There's a human being named Malarkey? Seriously?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

A global search for the surname 'Malarkey' on Ancestry.com yields 29,870 hits.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
mattack

You're just telling us a bunch of malarkey.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #39
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
The milfy lookin' chick with the attitude, Diane Dimeo was on Chopped a while back and won.
I thought she looked familiar! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #40
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Are you talking about the Asian looking woman with the boatload of confidence? If so, I thought so too (and she annoyed the heck out of me both times)

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #41
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Are you talking about the Asian looking woman with the boatload of confidence? If so, I thought so too (and she annoyed the heck out of me both times)
Yea, the one that told the big black guy to mind his own business when they were cooking.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #42
Azlen

The big issue I have with the format was that the order the chefs go in has a huge bearing on results. Early on the judges don't want to commit because they don't want to miss out on a better chef later. Later on, if you still have spots to fill and the number of contestants are dwindling, you might pick someone you would have passed on earlier. It definitely gives a bit of an advantage to be closer to the end. Would much prefer it be more like American Idol where you give a yes/no and then pick who goes on after you have seen everyone.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Also, I somewhat know who Bourdain is.. have *heard* of Nigella, but don't have the FOGGIEST idea who either of the others are (one's apparently the owner of a small # of restaurants in one city, so it's likely that people won't know him). Did anybody know the others?
Malarkey was on Hung's season of Top Chef. Lefebvre is a big-wig in the L.A. food scene (this just in - L.A. has a food scene).

Bourdain is best known for his TV appearances but I think his writing is his best attribute. His books are really representative of life in the restaurant industry.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #44
Mikeyis4dcats

good concept. horrible exectuion.

The set is terrible. Whats with the 2 story set, with kitchens in view behind the judges. Why make the contestant stand in a "soundproof" box if they can hear the judges comments of their dish? The drop screens were clunky and a joke.

Did any contestant gain more than 2 yes votes? out of what, 20 or so contestants not a single person got a "WOW" from the judges. How could none of them prepare something good enough to at least garner praise from all of the judges?
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #45
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree.

But a few did get a 'WOW'. After the fact. As in Anthony saying "Wow, that dish was amazing. I don't know why I pressed the NO button."
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree.

But a few did get a 'WOW'. After the fact. As in Anthony saying "Wow, that dish was amazing. I don't know why I pressed the NO button."

yeah, but it wasn't like on other shows where they all go WOW! That was great! I want you! It was more of a polite "wowthatwasgreatireallyshouldapickedyou but I didn't. kthaxbye"
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #47
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree.

Yeah, as we went through E02 of this, I continued to find those statements perplexing. I didn't realize at the very beginning that each was only getting four people on their team so I guess, assumably knowing they had a lot more people to go through, it makes a little sense.

But still - it didn't make big sense because, if they truly felt that any given dish showed that level of excellence, how much better could they realistically expect that it would get? (rhetorical)

I'm going to keep watching because now I am moderately interested in how the whole team thing is going to work. But I don't feel like I'm going to be wowed. Besides, I don't feel any investment in any of these people. I do imagine, however, that they will delve further into each of them to get people invested in caring about them.

But if each ep was going to be two hours, I'd be out already.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #48
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
good concept. horrible exectuion.

The set is terrible. Whats with the 2 story set, with kitchens in view behind the judges. Why make the contestant stand in a "soundproof" box if they can hear the judges comments of their dish? The drop screens were clunky and a joke.
Totally agree. Horrible set. The judges are surrounded by the kitchens where the contestants are preparing their "tastes", but the judges aren't supposed to know who cooked the food?!?!?

And yes, the drop screens on the booth reminded me of a bad parody of Star Trek (maybe a SNL parody) where the doors are constantly jamming, sliding irregularly or simply not opening at the right time.

But it's not supposed to be a "soundproof" box. It's supposed to hide the identity of the cook but let the cook hear the comments. In that way it works.

I'm going to stay with the show another episode or two. Now that we're past the auditions I'm hoping it gets better.

But I still don't see how they can possibly have the judges mentor the cooks and then judge the food without knowing who cooked which taste?

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
+1
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #50
SleepyBob

Those were two painfully long episodes. I hope things pick up once they start the competition.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote