TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited

Did anybody else watch this BBC America special on the first Doctor, William Hartnell? From what I watched, it was pretty interesting but I didn't know it was three hours long when I started. I fell asleep on it twice last night. I'll see if I can get through the rest of it today now that I know how long it is.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
TonyD79

I did not watch it all (went to bed) but it looks like the format will be talking, features, etc., ending with a full story from that particular Doctor. The first one was "The Atzecs" from Hartnell's era. Don't know if anything happened after they showed that.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Azlen

Nothing happened after they showed the episode.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Nothing happened after they showed the episode.
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wish these old episodes were still being shown. Sure, most of them are terribly outdated but I still want to see them.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Star Trek is outdated too, but we like to watch it. The BBC seems to misunderstand that, and even they show Star Trek. :P

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wish these old episodes were still being shown. Sure, most of them are terribly outdated but I still want to see them.
I've watched the first season (1963/64) online. There are several missing episodes that the BBC junked, but the audio tracks and pictures from them are available. I'm moving on to the second season now. (1964/65)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
I don't think it's their outdatedness; I think BBC wants you to buy the DVDs.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Craigbob

I started to watch it, and due to lack of sleep over the weekend decided partway through the Aztec episode to turn it off and continue it later.

From what I saw it seemed interesting and I need to find the old episodes to watch. Are they on Netflix?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Azlen

Yes, they have classic doctor who episodes on Netflix. Probably nowhere near complete though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I started to watch it, and due to lack of sleep over the weekend decided partway through the Aztec episode to turn it off and continue it later.

From what I saw it seemed interesting and I need to find the old episodes to watch. Are they on Netflix?
Netflix is very few and far between for streaming. More available via DVD from them, though.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Did anybody else watch this BBC America special on the first Doctor, William Hartnell? From what I watched, it was pretty interesting but I didn't know it was three hours long when I started. I fell asleep on it twice last night. I'll see if I can get through the rest of it today now that I know how long it is.
Well, after I removed the commercials, it was almost exactly two hours long.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Ozzie72

It seemed to be pretty standard stuff, no real surprises, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the interview clips with William Russell. I was also pleasantly surprised that we got the entire story of "The Aztecs". I wasn't aware before the broadcast that the format would be an hour of documentary and then a full story. I can't wait to see which stories are screened for the other Doctors.

And of course it was no surprise to see John Barrowman's mug. I really like the guy, but has he ever met a camera or TV gig that he hasn't liked?
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Gerryex

I liked the first part of the show and while I do like to watch some classic episodes I was disappointed that they chose a "historical" episode rather then one with a more Sci Fi flavor. I have probably seen every single episode EXCEPT for the ones from the first Doctor. The reason being is that most (not ALL) are more of the historic type which I am not a big fan of!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I liked the first part of the show and while I do like to watch some classic episodes I was disappointed that they chose a "historical" episode rather then one with a more Sci Fi flavor. I have probably seen every single episode EXCEPT for the ones from the first Doctor. The reason being is that most (not ALL) are more of the historic type which I am not a big fan of!

Gerry
They are limited in what they can show from Hartnell as many of the series are incomplete but they picked this one because of some key things in it like not changing history. I haven't watched it all and have seen parts of it before but I like it.

Add: and there is little doubt of what they will pick for Doctor #8.

Last edited by TonyD79 : 01-30-2013 at 08:35 PM.
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've never liked Patrick Troughton in any of the handful of his episodes I've seen. It's like Moe from the Three Stooges playing the Doctor. Maybe the next special will get me to appreciate him more. Jon Pertwee is the first Doctor in the lineage that I like. Tom BAker is my favorite with Pertwee my second favorite out of the classic Doctors. I could never get into Hartnell or Troughton.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
I've never liked Patrick Troughton in any of the handful of his episodes I've seen.
For me, Troughton nudges past TBaker to be my favorite classic doctor, followed by Pertwee and then Hartnell. (Haven't seen enough of 5-7 to fairly judge. Will rectify that this summer.)

Some of that may be because I think Jamie and adorable Zoe were my favorite companion(s) up to where I am in my current viewing chronology (TBaker & Leela).

and elsewhere
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
sonnik
Innovations.

Missed this. Are they doing 1 through 7, or all the way through 11?
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
Missed this. Are they doing 1 through 7, or all the way through 11?
I'm still waiting for 2 to show up in the Guide Data.

If they don't hurry, they're not going to have time to do all or most of them before the new season starts! (Which is about 8 weeks from now.)
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
lambertman
Not single!

They're actually doing it to lead up to the 50th anniversary in November. So there will be one per month.

and elsewhere
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
They're actually doing it to lead up to the 50th anniversary in November. So there will be one per month.
Ah, that makes sense!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
For me, Troughton nudges past TBaker to be my favorite classic doctor, followed by Pertwee and then Hartnell. (Haven't seen enough of 5-7 to fairly judge. Will rectify that this summer.)

Some of that may be because I think Jamie and adorable Zoe were my favorite companion(s) up to where I am in my current viewing chronology (TBaker & Leela).
I recently watched a Troughton episode. I think it was called The Dominators. It was the first time I remember seeing Zoe. Let me just say - baby got back. I spent half the episode hoping she'd walk away from the camera.

I guess my problem with Hartnell and Troughton is that their Doctors seem more addle brained than eccentric. Pertwee was the first Doctor who had leading man, star qualities.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

I hope BBC America re-airs it. Someone it didn't get recorded.

I checked On Demand last night and there the Doctor Who HD category is no longer there.

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited

Quote:
Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited - The First Doctor can be seen today at 4pm/3c on BBC America and is followed by a screening of William Hartnell story The Aztecs. There is a repeat screening of the documentary and The Aztecs from 3am/2c on Thursday morning.
http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...-repeated.html

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Oy but was the acting bad. I guess that was par for the course back then, but it was painful to watch. I mean, it's not like the series was ever an example of great acting but that was just really awful.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Oy but was the acting bad. I guess that was par for the course back then, but it was painful to watch. I mean, it's not like the series was ever an example of great acting but that was just really awful.
Not just the acting, but the production values as well, again it wasn't like the show was ever the home of cutting edge effects, but how many times did they redress that one set?

On interesting thing was that the show's original mission was to be "educational" -- when they when they went into the future they'd teach science and when they went into the past they would teach history, hence Barbara's lessons on Aztec culture.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
mattack

Sheesh, Doctor Who was always cardboard sets…. (BTW, no I have not seen this one.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
SnakeVargas

I enjoyed the Hartnell and Troughton episodes as reruns on PBS when I was a teen back in the early nineties. The Hartnell episodes did have an educational aspect that felt forced especially in the historical ones. It's fun seeing how the doctor evolved over time. My favorite era had to be the Peter Davison episodes.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
edc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Not just the acting, but the production values as well, again it wasn't like the show was ever the home of cutting edge effects, but how many times did they redress that one set?
Don't be too hard on the production values. In many ways, the first two Doctors (although moreso for Hartnell) were doing a live stage show, with as much done in order (with sound being pumped into the stage) as possible.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
lambertman
Not single!

Second Doctor story "Tomb of the Cybermen" coming up on Feb 24:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/02...ed-on-bbc.html

and elsewhere