TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The Taste - Premiere 1/22/2013 *Spoilers possible*

Interesting show. Kinda like the Voice but with food!

Not sure what the judges are looking for, but it seemed to me like some talented cooks/chefs are being passed up.

I wonder what the format will be later on?

Loved the fact that Ludo actually offered the one girl a job!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I'll start off by saying overall I liked the show.

I have the same complaint here that I have on X-Factor - why have the buttons to say 'no' when they are verbally saying it. Just say it, no need for buttons. And certainly no need for two buttons.

The idea is here. The pitch for this had to take 30 seconds and it was sold. But something isn't working - they said they chose wrong over and over again. Something is flawed here.

Maybe the judges need to know what they are eating before they eat it. They seemed confused a lot, and once they knew what was in it and how it was prepared they regretted saying no.

It looked like the same format later on. Once the teams are built, they will prepare their food but the judges won't know who made it. So they could vote out their own team members.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I have the same complaint here that I have on X-Factor - why have the buttons to say 'no' when they are verbally saying it. Just say it, no need for buttons. And certainly no need for two buttons.
Well, the idea is that the "yes" and "no" buttons are to secretly lock in their votes, before they learn anything about the cook/chef. I don't have a problem with that... that makes some sense. The third button to reveal the vote seems a little superfluous though.

I'm not sure what they were looking for in cooks/chefs. At one point, one of them (Malarkey, I'm pretty sure) took someone that didn't prepare a perfect dish, but he said he could sort of work with and train them. The rest of the time, though, all of the judges kept passing on contestant after contestant that was very good, but not perfect. "Items x, y, and z in your dish were prepared absolutely perfectly... but you added one minor seasoning to your dish I didn't like, so it's a no." WTF?

And yeah, the number of times of "I'm kicking myself for not taking you because I liked everything you did, but voted no anyway" was getting very old by the end of the night.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Ment

Going to have to rewatch this I was too mesmerized by Nigella the first time.

There are good elements: the blind taste test, contestants picking the chef they want to work with, that could make for a successful cooking based show. One has to wonder how much the chefs can mentor their team because at some point as good as they are it would be easy to figure out who on your team made what dish. Perhaps they negate that by making everyone make the same thing.

If I were a judge I'd go on presentation, knifework and creativity in the dish as much the taste to choose more pros. Even though more homecooks made it on teams this round, they probably made their best dish and other dishes, ones they may have never made before would not have the same level of quality.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I just don't get why there was so many "Ugh! Why didn't I say yes for you?"comments. It appeared like they were changing their minds after seeing the chef or finding out they were professional...which is exactly not the point.

And then Nigella turns down something she loved by a professional chef...but then turned around and took a home cook with mashed potatoes and cabbage?

I might have to skip the auditions because I'm already irritated 35m in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sushikitten : 01-23-2013 at 08:48 PM.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
The idea is here. The pitch for this had to take 30 seconds and it was sold. But something isn't working - they said they chose wrong over and over again. Something is flawed here.

Maybe the judges need to know what they are eating before they eat it. They seemed confused a lot, and once they knew what was in it and how it was prepared they regretted saying no.
Did they ever say how big the audition pool is? Does it say on the ABC website (I haven't checked yet)?

One reason you might have been hearing regrets is that they only had four chances to say 'yes'. I thought at first that they might be able to say 'yes' to a lot of people, and then there would be another round to get the final teams down to four. But apparently that's not the case. So there's a tendency to hold back the 'yes' votes, and not vote 'yes' too early -- otherwise you could be full up and watch better contestants get snapped up by another chef.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I just don't get why there was so many "Ugh! Why didn't I say yes for you?"comments. It appeared like they were changing their minds after seeing the chef or finding out they were professional...which is exactly not the point.

And then Nigella turns down something she loved by a professional chef...but then turned around and took a home cook with mashed potatoes and cabbage?

I might have to skip the auditions because I'm already irritated 35m in.
OMG, so totally! (bolded by me) It just negates the whole notion of blind judging. That was too weird. If the idea was to choose somebody based on the food presented, I sure didn't see that in their judging.

I didn't even realize, until I hit play, that this episode was two hours. Man, that was one of the longest two hours (well, about an hour and a half, eh?) ever, for me.

I like the idea of blind judging and, in fact, would like to see that on all competitions but then it would kill all the drama (and unfairness) that seems to be what sells so well with other competition shows. There seems to be plenty of drama going on here anyway.

I'm keeping my SP at this point, but we'll see. I don't really get the whole 'teams' thing either. So, how will blind judging occur if they are mentoring these cooks/chefs along the way? I just guess I think it could be cleaner than it seems to be.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I"m a fan of Anthony Bourdain... but this trite bit of trash show has drastically lowered my opinion of him . What next Tony? Commercials for TGIF's? I can't stand and don't watch any of the dancing/singing/pretty face reality competition shows either, so take this from where it comes.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed

Such an interesting premise, but (as everyone has said) there is something basically flawed in the way they are presenting the show. Handan and I turned to each other more than a dozen times and shook our heads and shrugged our shoulders... "why?".

From the previews (which probably don't need spoilers since they showed it 100 times DURING the show)...
Spoiler:
The judges get their teams and then coach them in the kitchen, but then judge the dishes "without knowing who cooked which"... how is that going to work when they're in the freakin' kitchen with them when they're cooking? Unless each team gets the exact same thing to cook it would be pretty obvious which cook cooked which dish.

So I'm assuming that each team has to cook the same dish.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
jamesl

yeah, this show doesn't make much sense

I'd be surprised if it actually makes it to the finale without being cancelled first
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
robojerk

I thought it was boring, and didn't need to be 2 hours, we didn't need all the bios.....

I might skip the next episode .. I also felt bad for a lot of these people who said they quit their jobs to audition for this show.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Like all these shows, I tend to ignore the boring parts, and focus on what I find interesting -- which is, the actual cooking parts.

If you turn the show on its head, and look at the judging task from a different POV, this is like the Top Chef challenge where they gave the contestants a bunch of mystery ingredients that they had to taste, only on steroids.

We viewers know what the contestants have put together, but the judges don't. They get one taste, from which they attempt to sort out all the different components. It's fascinating.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I thought it was boring, and didn't need to be 2 hours, we didn't need all the bios.....

I might skip the next episode .. I also felt bad for a lot of these people who said they quit their jobs to audition for this show.
I don't.

Anyone who quits their job for a chance in a TV show must hate their current job and/or have a very high opinion of themselves, so they should know what they're getting themselves into. It's the same with the singing shows.

If someone REALLY has the ability, I would think that most bosses would be happy for the potential publicity and allow them a leave of absence.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
CatScratchFever

I like this show. The number of chef's who made amazing looking food only to be sent packing is a little strange. The number of I don't know why I didn't select you apologies is surprising. Then someone selects a dish that looks weak. I think they are all trying to figure out the professionals and pick them.
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Like all these shows, I tend to ignore the boring parts, and focus on what I find interesting -- which is, the actual cooking parts.
I agree, and only wish there'd been a lot more focus on the cooking and less on the biograph and the judges' banter.

Quote:
If you turn the show on its head, and look at the judging task from a different POV, this is like the Top Chef challenge where they gave the contestants a bunch of mystery ingredients that they had to taste, only on steroids.

We viewers know what the contestants have put together, but the judges don't. They get one taste, from which they attempt to sort out all the different components. It's fascinating.
These two statements seem to contradict each other. I think I'd have liked it better if the judges had given the cheftestants a limited pantry of ingredients and then judged based on what they did with those ingredients instead of having to compare mashed potatoes to sushi-grade tuna.

Check out
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I also felt bad for a lot of these people who said they quit their jobs to audition for this show.
This is also what I don't get. Why would you need to quit your job over what is likely a 2-4 day audition process? Worry about quitting your job if you make it through the first round.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
CatScratchFever

Quote:
This is also what I don't get. Why would you need to quit your job over what is likely a 2-4 day audition process? Worry about quitting your job if you make it through the first round.
overconfidence?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
These two statements seem to contradict each other. I think I'd have liked it better if the judges had given the cheftestants a limited pantry of ingredients and then judged based on what they did with those ingredients instead of having to compare mashed potatoes to sushi-grade tuna.
The judges' tasting task is not the same as the one in the Top Chef quickfire because it is more complicated -- that's why I said 'on steroids' -- and because the cheftestants are choosing the ingredients, and the judges taste blind -- that's why I said it like was taking the quickfire challenge and 'standing it on its head'.

I understand why you would have liked your challenge better, but that would have been a different show.

I like this show precisely because it is so weird and different compared to the other shows. The audition round has the hour-long cooking period that Iron Chef does, without the restrictions of the ingredients. It has the 'can you guess the ingredients' quickfire challenge from Top Chef, but the quizzing happens in the wrong direction. The chefs talk about their dishes, like on Top Chef, but afterwards instead of before. And it uses the amuse bouche idea, which I am intrigued by and find really daunting, since I'm not good at blending flavors, and can be a 'keep all the components on my plate separate' kind of diner, at least for savories.

The really disappointing thing about this show was that it revealed -- again -- the Great Divide between the rest of the meal and the dessert. I like desserts. From a production standpoint, I understand why there's a Never The Twain Shall Meet sort of distinction, but when I hear someone like Bourdain say he is not a dessert guy, it puzzles me. I mean, what would he say if someone told him that they didn't like pork? Wouldn't his reaction be that they were missing out on all the really good stuff? I feel the same way when someone tells me they are indifferent to flourless chocolate cake.

So I was happy that the person who made the chocolate cake got through.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
The really disappointing thing about this show was that it revealed -- again -- the Great Divide between the rest of the meal and the dessert. I like desserts. From a production standpoint, I understand why there's a Never The Twain Shall Meet sort of distinction, but when I hear someone like Bourdain say he is not a dessert guy, it puzzles me. I mean, what would he say if someone told him that they didn't like pork? Wouldn't his reaction be that they were missing out on all the really good stuff? I feel the same way when someone tells me they are indifferent to flourless chocolate cake.

So I was happy that the person who made the chocolate cake got through.
I'm not sure I understand what is puzzling. I'm not really into dessert either, same thing with breakfast. I prefer savory to sweet so I'd rather have steak and eggs for breakfast rather than pancakes topped with berries. Different strokes and all.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
mattack

Haven't read the whole thread, but I thought it was interesting (with my usual disclaimer that I watch faster-than-realtime so I can stand it, like _most_ but not all reality shows).

I thought it was fairly amusing that they DID do the fairly long intro/explanation of contestants who were then just eliminated. Don't Idol/The Voice/etc., USUALLY do the expanded ones on people who get farther in the competition? Not exclusively, but the vast majority?

Also, I don't quite get what the point of the "teams" is if they will still then be doing the blind testing and the mentor can vote against them?

While I realize I don't have a perfect solution, if they didn't have the mentor vote on their own contestants' food (or maybe have them vote but have that vote always eliminated), then it seems to make the "team" aspect matter.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of contestants.

Also, I somewhat know who Bourdain is.. have *heard* of Nigella, but don't have the FOGGIEST idea who either of the others are (one's apparently the owner of a small # of restaurants in one city, so it's likely that people won't know him). Did anybody know the others?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:
What if they throw away the stuff in your office?

The one thing others commented on -- I got the impression that the judges had a very limited # of spots to pick -- it's not like Idol where they seem to have a *vague* number in the very first rounds, but end up picking way too many, then cut huge swaths to get down to some manageable #.

It seemed like they knew "you can only pick 4", so judged too quickly, then realized they should have picked the person.

I wish they also closed their eyes.. They seemed to also judge it a bit on the look of the food.. I hate when Gordon Ramsay does it too.

BTW, were those spoons some kind of 'standard' spoon? I doubt it because of the curved back handle that let them balance perfectly.. But the spoon part seemed mostly like "Japanese soup spoons". Don't know the proper name, but I eat a lot of soup, and use those kinds of spoons virtually all the time.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
BTW, were those spoons some kind of 'standard' spoon? I doubt it because of the curved back handle that let them balance perfectly.. But the spoon part seemed mostly like "Japanese soup spoons". Don't know the proper name, but I eat a lot of soup, and use those kinds of spoons virtually all the time.
I had to look it up using google.

"Porcelain Tasting Spoons"

The ones on the show were higher quality I think.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #23
jradosh
Newlywed

I just remembered one other thing that kind of bothered me about the show.

What was up with those hootchie-mamas that carried the spoons from the cheftestants to the judges? Was this filmed in Vegas or something? What "ambiance" exactly where they trying to achieve there? It sure came across as tacky...

Check out
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

And along those lines...why the hell were the serving boards so long? They looked awkward to carry.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
CatScratchFever

Quote:
I just remembered one other thing that kind of bothered me about the show.

What was up with those hootchie-mamas that carried the spoons from the cheftestants to the judges? Was this filmed in Vegas or something? What "ambiance" exactly where they trying to achieve there? It sure came across as tacky...
that's sort of rude, judgmental much?

I thought the Black lady was hot
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScratchFever View Post
that's sort of rude, judgmental much?

I thought the Black lady was hot
Skimpy tight black dresses were put there for one reason only, and it wasn't to enhance the taste of the food.

I wasn't judging the women. I was judging the producers of the show for dressing them up like hootchie-mamas. :/

Check out
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
jamesl

Quote:

What was up with those hootchie-mamas that carried the spoons from the cheftestants to the judges?

It sure came across as tacky...
no it didn't
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
no it didn't
To me... it did. I'm not a prude or anything. It just seemed hilariously out-of-place.

Check out
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

All that glitz reminds me of how badly a big budget network interest can ruin a potentiall good show.

Remember that ridiculous thing with four chefs and time travel?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Skimpy tight black dresses were put there for one reason only, and it wasn't to enhance the taste of the food.
The producers are doing the same crap that we see on football games and other sports shows. Only the male demographic is valuable to them, and they think male viewers won't stay unless they provide eye candy.

They don't give a damn about the people who actually want to watch the show for its content, because they know we'll watch anyway. It's all about catching the eyes of the other people who don't care what they watch.