TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #61
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What we need now is a decent video server that can take a custom RSS feed and be served in the home (maybe externally). I have tried plugins for both plex and Windows Media server and haven't found anything that works perfectly yet.

Most of what I am looking at are designed around video podcasts...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #62
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
What we need now is a decent video server that can take a custom RSS feed and be served in the home (maybe externally). I have tried plugins for both plex and Windows Media server and haven't found anything that works perfectly yet.

Most of what I am looking at are designed around video podcasts...
I got it to work with both Serviio Media Server and PS3 Media Server. I use these to stream to my Sony TV and Xbox 360.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #63
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I want to say that this new version has fixed all of my issues! The rss is properly formatted and I can play and stream video's.

Allanon, when you have a chance - can you take a quick screen print to show me how you have the rss feed configured on the Serviio counsole?

I am not seeing the feed and I am sure it is just me being dense.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 01-23-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #64
Allanon

Quote:
Allanon, when you have a chance - can you take a quick screen print to show me how you have the rss feed configured on the Serviio counsole?

1. Open the Serviio console
2. Click on "Library"
3. Click on "Online sources"
4. Click on "Add"
5. Enter RSS feed and name then click "Add"
6. Click on "Save"

Serviio should read the RSS feed and launch ffmpeg to check each video in the feed. You should probably turn on transcoding so the video is converted in to the proper format for your devices. It might take a while before the program actually reads the RSS feed. You won't be able to see the videos on your device until the RSS feed and ffmpeg process has been preformed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (53.0 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #65
bradleys
It'll be fine....

OK, that is how I set it up - but I wasn't very patient!

I want to say again that this is now working perfectly. I am wondering if the number of shows on my TiVo was giving us an invalid xml file at the break. Anyway, thanks a lot for the work.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #66
tatergator1

Out of curiosity, using Serviio and serving to your Sony TV or Xbox, do you have FF/REW capabilities of the video?
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #67
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Out of curiosity, using Serviio and serving to your Sony TV or Xbox, do you have FF/REW capabilities of the video?
No, FF/REW, just pause.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #68
csell

Quick question - I finally was able to get this working (for the most part). Anyway, is it true that this does not work on copyrighted video? It seems to not play any copyrighted material but will play all of the ones that are not. Is this true or am I missing something?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #69
tatergator1

Yes. It will not play anything that you would not be able to transfer to your computer. This is using the capabilities of the TIVO HME system. The only way to watch copy-protected videos is via true streaming between Tivo Premieres or in your home network with the Tivo Stream.

The set-up acts like a video "stream", but this is really just transferring and displaying the video on to non-Tivo peripherals, and transfers aren't permitted with copy-protected shows.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #70
jlobello

I found this thread & tried out the software last night. It seems to be working perfectly from VLC. I was able to have VLC view the RSS feed, then click on an entry & the video starts up right away! This seems like a great idea, rather than waiting for the whole video to transfer -- you can start viewing it right away. Trick play is obviously not working, as is to be expected.

I also tried viewing a show on my iphone. Mobile safari doesn't know how to deal with RSS feeds, so that didn't work. Instead I sent an e-mail to myself with the direct URL to a show. I was then able to use the app, oplayer lite, to view a show!! But, sound was not working, which I think is due to an oplayer bug.
jlobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #71
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobello View Post
I found this thread & tried out the software last night. It seems to be working perfectly from VLC. I was able to have VLC view the RSS feed, then click on an entry & the video starts up right away! This seems like a great idea, rather than waiting for the whole video to transfer -- you can start viewing it right away. Trick play is obviously not working, as is to be expected.

I also tried viewing a show on my iphone. Mobile safari doesn't know how to deal with RSS feeds, so that didn't work. Instead I sent an e-mail to myself with the direct URL to a show. I was then able to use the app, oplayer lite, to view a show!! But, sound was not working, which I think is due to an oplayer bug.
I just found it yesterday as well and spent a few hours to get it up and running. Very cool and great work was done on it. Unfortunately it seems like 80% of my shows are copyrighted and thus can't be transferred. So I probably won't spend anymore time on it cause of that fact. But again, great work by all involved.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #72
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I just found it yesterday as well and spent a few hours to get it up and running. Very cool and great work was done on it. Unfortunately it seems like 80% of my shows are copyrighted and thus can't be transferred. So I probably won't spend anymore time on it cause of that fact. But again, great work by all involved.
Let me guess, Time Warner Cable? I feel you pain. Only broadcast stations (CBS, NBC, etc.) are viewable for me.

I think a lot of people would find this useful, but it's been flying under the radar for a while. I see two drawbacks to the method: copy-protection, and lack of FF/REW. Perhaps a solution to FF/REW could be developed, but copy-protection circumvention is a non-starter. Still, Allanon has developed a relatively easy to implement MRV method that doesn't require another Tivo box.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #73
csell

Quote:
Still, Allanon has developed a relatively easy to implement MRV method that doesn't require another Tivo box.
Tell me more!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #74
tatergator1

I was speaking some what generally, but I believe he's had success using Serviio Media Server in conjunction with the python script. Serviio can deliver the video to a number of Smart TV's as well as PS3's, Xbox 360's, etc. See here: http://www.serviio.org/features.

There is some discussion of how to set that up within this thread as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #75
csell

Quote:
I was speaking some what generally, but I believe he's had success using Serviio Media Server in conjunction with the python script. Serviio can deliver the video to a number of Smart TV's as well as PS3's, Xbox 360's, etc. See here: http://www.serviio.org/features.

There is some discussion of how to set that up within this thread as well.
But the copy protection issue still applies?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #76
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
But the copy protection issue still applies?
Yes, as I mentioned above, getting around the copy-protection is not possible. We just have to wait for the Tivo Mini (which will do true streaming) and hope the pricing is reasonable, or have multiple Premiere boxes to stream the copy-protected stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #77
Allanon

I first developed this program so I could instantly watch TiVo videos on my Sony smart TV. I knew FF/REW and copy protected files was not going to be possible. But after thinking about the FF/REW problem there is probably a solution, it would require decoding the TiVo file to a file on disk then feeding that file to the media server. The downside is you will need a few GB of free space on your hard drive. I could probably add this feature as an option.

I also would like to add a HTML webpage that will have links to the videos. This will make it easier to play in a browser. And I've also thought about adding my own UPNP server which would eliminate the need for a separate media server. But these are just things I'd like to do and I'm making no promises on them ever being added.

If you have any ideas for this program please post them.

Also, I will probably start a new thread on this forum for this program. It will have a description and documentation as the first post and I can just keep updating that post with changes opposed to a new version in each post I make.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #78
vanclute

Been absent a bit and I see that much has happened with this! I can now see the entire Now Playing list. Unfortunately, playback still fails completely.

Code:
Video URL:  http://192.168.2.10:80/download/The%20Asphalt%20Jungle.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1336368

192.168.2.16 - - [26/Jan/2013 01:42:05] "GET /download/The%20Asphalt%20Jungle.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1336368 HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Decoding video

----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.16', 50181)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 284, in _handle_request_noblock
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 310, in process_request
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 337, in handle
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 325, in handle_one_request
  File "/Applications/Tivo Proxy Server 5.py", line 172, in do_GET
    decode = subprocess.Popen(['tivodecode', '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-'],shell=False,bufsize=0,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1202, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Any idea why?
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #79
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanclute View Post
Been absent a bit and I see that much has happened with this! I can now see the entire Now Playing list. Unfortunately, playback still fails completely.

Code:
Video URL:  http://192.168.2.10:80/download/The%20Asphalt%20Jungle.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1336368

192.168.2.16 - - [26/Jan/2013 01:42:05] "GET /download/The%20Asphalt%20Jungle.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1336368 HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Decoding video

Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.16', 50181)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 284, in _handle_request_noblock
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 310, in process_request
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 337, in handle
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 325, in handle_one_request
  File "/Applications/Tivo Proxy Server 5.py", line 172, in do_GET
    decode = subprocess.Popen(['tivodecode', '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-'],shell=False,bufsize=0,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1202, in _execute_child
Any idea why?
That error happens when tivodecode can't be found. Do you have tivodecode in the same directory as the program? Are you running the program directly out of the program's directory?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #80
vanclute

As a matter of fact I was not running it where tivodecode was, so thanks for pointing that out.

However, even when running it within the tivodecode directory, I get the identical error.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #81
Allanon

Quote:
As a matter of fact I was not running it where tivodecode was, so thanks for pointing that out.

However, even when running it within the tivodecode directory, I get the identical error.
Attached is a new version that attaches the current directory path to the front of tivodecode in the popen() call. It also prints out the command that is being called which might help debug the problem. Make sure tivodecode is in the same folder as Tivo Proxy Server before running. If you get an error then please post the output so I can see the command that is being called.

This version also adds a HTML webpage that has links and descriptions for the videos. I have VLC as my default player and I can just click on the link and have the video play in the web browser. To use just enter the following in to a web browser:
Code:
http://<Server_IP>:<Port>/html

Attached Files
File Type: zip Tivo Proxy Server.zip (2.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #82
srauly

Quote:
If I get this working the next step is to try to feed this to my Plex Media Server using the feed me plugin. With that you can stream to Roku boxes, xbox... Heck, any number of devices.
Please post back if you get this working with Plex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #83
vanclute

No apparent change I don't think...

Code:
Video URL:  http://192.168.2.10:80/download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396

192.168.2.16 - - [28/Jan/2013 15:04:37] "GET /download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396 HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Decoding video

['/Users/user/tivodecode', '-n', '-m', '***********', '--', '-']

Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.16', 51563)
  File "/Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode/Tivo Proxy Server 6.py", line 229, in do_GET
    decode = subprocess.Popen(cmd,shell=False,bufsize=0,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

Last edited by vanclute : 01-29-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #84
vanclute

OK I might be onto something. I noticed in the output, this line is wrong:

The correct path would be /Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode since I have my tivodecode folder on the desktop. So I changed this:

Code:
                cmd = [os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'tivodecode'), '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-']
to this:

Code:
                cmd = [os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'Desktop/tivodecode/tivodecode'), '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-']
and now I get this:

Code:
serving at port 10001
/rss
Sending RSS Feed

192.168.2.16 - - [28/Jan/2013 15:59:28] "GET /rss HTTP/1.1" 200 -
RSS Feed Sent

/download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396

Video URL:  http://192.168.2.10:80/download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396

192.168.2.16 - - [28/Jan/2013 15:59:50] "GET /download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396 HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Decoding video

['/Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode/tivodecode', '-n', '-m', '***********', '--', '-']

Launch of "tivodecode" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported.
Disconnect
Progress?

Last edited by vanclute : 01-29-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #85
Allanon

Quote:
OK I might be onto something. I noticed in the output, this line is wrong:

The correct path would be /Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode since I have my tivodecode folder on the desktop. So I changed this:

Code:
                cmd = [os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'tivodecode'), '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-']
to this:

Code:
                cmd = [os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'Desktop/tivodecode/tivodecode'), '-n','-m', Tivo_MAK, '--', '-']
and now I get this:

Code:
serving at port 10001
/rss
Sending RSS Feed

192.168.2.16 - - [28/Jan/2013 15:59:28] "GET /rss HTTP/1.1" 200 -
RSS Feed Sent

/download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396

192.168.2.16 - - [28/Jan/2013 15:59:50] "GET /download/Biggest%20Baddest%20Model%20Moments.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1338396 HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Decoding video

['/Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode/tivodecode', '-n', '-m', '**********', '--', '-']

Launch of "tivodecode" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported.
Disconnect
Progress?
Apparently on a mac the path is not being set to the program's path. You corrected the path and tivodecode must have been launched. What I don't know is if tivodecode or python is putting the "no longer supported" message. Can you try running tivodecode on a .tivo file from a command promp without my program? I want to see if tivodecode prints that message. If it does then you might need a different version that supports your OS.

Last edited by Allanon : 01-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #86
vanclute

Ooooh... I think we might be getting somewhere.

I grabbed the copy of tivodecode that I actually use currently with kmttg, and got something new:

Code:
Encryption by QUALCOMM ;)

Disconnect
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.16', 51787)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 641, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 694, in finish
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 303, in flush
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
So, are we close to something perhaps?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #87
Allanon

Vanclute, attached is an update that should fix the tivodecode path problem and hopefully fix the latest error you are getting.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tivo Proxy Server.zip (2.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #88
vanclute

sigh... afraid not:

Code:
/Users/user/Desktop/tivodecode/tivodecode

Encryption by QUALCOMM ;)

Disconnect
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.16', 50955)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 641, in __init__
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 694, in finish
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 303, in flush
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
Path is correct now but still no playback.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #89
vanclute

oops nevermind this... last post still accurate.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #90
Allanon

Vanclute, remove the # character from these three lines of code at the bottom of the code then try running:

Code:
httpd.socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_TCP, socket.TCP_KEEPIDLE, 1)
httpd.socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_TCP, socket.TCP_KEEPINTVL, 1)
httpd.socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_TCP, socket.TCP_KEEPCNT, 5)
This code doesn't work on Windows but research shows it might work for mac and Linux.