TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #1981
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Is it recommended to plug in a brand new tivo first and setup everything before doing this, or afterwards. Or does it matter?
Before you go to the trouble of opening up the TiVo, removing the drive, and copying and expanding onto a bigger drive, go ahead and plug it in, set up your subscription, run through Guided Setup, get your cable cards paired, and make sure the TiVo is working properly.

Then after a couple of weeks or so to make sure it's downloaded the latest software updates and all of that, you do the upgrade and then put the original drive somewhere safe, so it's ready to go if you ever need to use it for troubleshooting or to copy to another drive if the first replacement has problems.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #1982
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Is it recommended to plug in a brand new tivo first and setup everything before doing this, or afterwards. Or does it matter?
If you are trying to make a compressed back up of the drive , it is better to do it before plugging it up the first time. If you are just going to copy and expand then follow Unitron's advice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #1983
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If you are trying to make a compressed back up of the drive , it is better to do it before plugging it up the first time. If you are just going to copy and expand then follow Unitron's advice.

This is a Premiere thread.

If he knew how to make a compressed or truncated backup of an S4 drive, he'd be schooling all of us.

And on older sets, best to make a truncated back up (preferably one via WinMFS and another via the MFS Live cd), then set it up, then make backups again with different names to indicate that the first ones dump you to Guided Setup and the second ones are specific to that unit and have all of your info, like cable lineup, cable card pairings, etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #1984
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

If he knew how to make a compressed or truncated backup of an S4 drive, he'd be schooling all of us.

And on older sets, best to make a truncated back up (preferably one via WinMFS and another via the MFS Live cd), then set it up, then make backups again with different names to indicate that the first ones dump you to Guided Setup and the second ones are specific to that unit and have all of your info, like cable lineup, cable card pairings, etc.
I understand. I am not talking about a truncated backup but a compressed backup of the drive. Ggieseke has a program that makes a compressed backup. I have successfully used this to backup and restore a Premiere drive.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #1985
unitron

Quote:
I understand. I am not talking about a truncated backup but a compressed backup of the drive. Ggieseke has a program that makes a compressed backup. I have successfully used this to backup and restore a Premiere drive.

It just seemed to me that if superflysocal were already on the level of being able to do that he/she'd already know that you set up the original drive before copying to a bigger one.

Is Ggieseke's technique/program covered earlier in this thread or a different one?

Or do I have to look over on "the other site which must not be named"?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #1986
jmbach

Quote:
It just seemed to me that if superflysocal were already on the level of being able to do that he/she'd already know that you set up the original drive before copying to a bigger one.

Is Ggieseke's technique/program covered earlier in this thread or a different one?

Or do I have to look over on "the other site which must not be named"?
It's covered earlier in the thread. Have to pm him for the program as it is a work in progress.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #1987
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds618 View Post
Stan,

I bought the WD20EVDS on Ebay last week. search for WD20EVDS & look in the list for the one priced at $99 or best offer with free priority shipping, the guy is in PA. I offered to buy it for $85 & he counter offered for $92 said that's the cheapest he could sell it for. I couldn't find that drive for less anywhere else. It arrived 5 days later with a manufacture date of 11/4/2010

Newbie here. I've been reading through this thread with the intent of upgrading my new Premier 4 with a 2 TB drive. Mentioned as usable is a
WD model WD20EARS. I saw one on Amazon but it had an exposed drive (no cover) and a lot of other drives are displayed that way. Can anyone explain if that is normal/okay to use? All the drives I've dealt with in my experience have been enclosed.

Thats for any enlightenment.
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #1988
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum (well, sort of...I see you posted once a few years ago). Here you go...

http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64

Happy upgrading!

BTW, I think they cut the posting count for seeing/posting links to five now.
Nope, it's still 10!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #1989
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
Newbie here. I've been reading through this thread with the intent of upgrading my new Premier 4 with a 2 TB drive. Mentioned as usable is a
WD model WD20EARS. I saw one on Amazon but it had an exposed drive (no cover) and a lot of other drives are displayed that way. Can anyone explain if that is normal/okay to use? All the drives I've dealt with in my experience have been enclosed.

Thats for any enlightenment.
What you want to do is keep an eye out for the WD20EURS dropping to $100.

Although the WD20EARS has been used by many in Premieres and S3s as well successfully, and if you found a new old stock WD20EADS it'd probably work as well. Maybe even the WD20EACS. But those 3 are older models and unused ones unlikely to be available.

The WD20EURS is an A/V application-specific drive.

Instead of retrying several times to handle errors, which is what you want the drives on a computer or server to do, it is more forgiving of them so that it can keep from falling behind on constantly writing one or more audio/video streams to the platters.

A single wrong byte is such a short amount of time that your eyes or ears won't notice anything wrong, whereas in your PC it could mean a disastrous error on a spread sheet or in a database.

That picture is a stock photo, supplied originally by Western Digital, but the drives are not sold with the cover missing like that.

Due to the way hard drives work (the heads float just above the platters on a thin film of air that's dragged along by friction of the platters against the air, but the space between the head and the platter is smaller than the diameter of a smoke particle, and a piece of dust looks like a boulder to it), leaving the cover off anywhere but in an absolute "clean room" would reduce its lifespan to minutes.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1990
pspens

Quote:
What you want to do is keep an eye out for the WD20EURS dropping to $100.

That picture is a stock photo, supplied originally by Western Digital, but the drives are not sold with the cover missing like that.

Due to the way hard drives work (the heads float just above the platters on a thin film of air that's dragged along by friction of the platters against the air, but the space between the head and the platter is smaller than the diameter of a smoke particle, and a piece of dust looks like a boulder to it), leaving the cover off anywhere but in an absolute "clean room" would reduce its lifespan to minutes.
Thanks for your thorough response. There's a WD20EURS for $108 on amazon right now...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1991
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for your thorough response. There's a WD20EURS for $108 on amazon right now...
But last week when newegg had it on sale for $100, they price matched until about a day after newegg's sale ended, and that's not the first time it's gone down to $100 at both places at about the same time, so if you're not in a big hurry...

It's still free shipping, right?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #1992
pspens

Quote:
But last week when newegg had it on sale for $100, they price matched until about a day after newegg's sale ended, and that's not the first time it's gone down to $100 at both places at about the same time, so if you're not in a big hurry...

It's still free shipping, right?
I just bought it. Free shipping with there slowest method. I've only had my Premier 4 for 2 days, so there's no rush on performing the surgery. I still want to read up on the Intellpark stuff.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #1993
unitron

Quote:
I just bought it. Free shipping with there slowest method. I've only had my Premier 4 for 2 days, so there's no rush on performing the surgery. I still want to read up on the Intellpark stuff.
Go back to the top of the page and read what I told superflysocal about what to do before upgrading the drive.

You want to make sure the TiVo works okay before you open it up and change anything, in case you have to return it for another unit.

As for Intellipark, since the WD20EURS is designed with running constantly, every second, in mind, it should arrive with Intellipark not having been enabled at the factory.

Make yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, and you'll have both wdidle3 (in the unlikely event that you need it) and the WD diagnostic software, so that you can run the long test on it before putting it into service.

Brand new drives don't usually show up with something wrong already, but it's not unheard of.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #1994
pspens

Quote:
Go back to the top of the page and read what I told superflysocal about what to do before upgrading the drive.

You want to make sure the TiVo works okay before you open it up and change anything, in case you have to return it for another unit.

As for Intellipark, since the WD20EURS is designed with running constantly, every second, in mind, it should arrive with Intellipark not having been enabled at the factory.

Make yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, and you'll have both wdidle3 (in the unlikely event that you need it) and the WD diagnostic software, so that you can run the long test on it before putting it into service.

Brand new drives don't usually show up with something wrong already, but it's not unheard of.
Good info, thx. It's been running fine for about 4 days now. When I did the guided setup it downloaded the latest software.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #1995
unitron

Quote:
Good info, thx. It's been running fine for about 4 days now. When I did the guided setup it downloaded the latest software.
You've only had your Premiere for 2 days but it's been running for 4 days?

That must have been some long extension cord unreeling out the back of that UPS truck.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #1996
pspens

Quote:
You've only had your Premiere for 2 days but it's been running for 4 days?

That must have been some long extension cord unreeling out the back of that UPS truck.
The 2 days was just off the top of my head... time flies when you're having fun. After thinking about it, I realized I got it installed on Thursday.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #1997
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I recommend that you wait until you get past the 90 day free replacement warranty period before you upgrade.

If you decide to forge ahead, keep in mind that if you have any issues, don't call TiVo. They can read the system info from your Tivo and can tell if you have an upgraded hard drive and will refuse the warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #1998
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I recommend that you wait until you get past the 90 day free replacement warranty period before you upgrade.

If you decide to forge ahead, keep in mind that if you have any issues, don't call TiVo. They can read the system info from your Tivo and can tell if you have an upgraded hard drive and will refuse the warranty.
Oh, you people with the budgets for non-used TiVos and your fancy problems.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #1999
ggieseke

Quote:

I'm still schooling myself.

A true truncated backup in the classic MFSLive sense is still a ways off, but my method works fairly well if you start with a "virgin" drive. It uses the same tech as Microsoft's virtual hard drive files for Virtual PC. The drive is broken into 2MB blocks, and the blocks that are all zeroes are just noted in the header instead of being copied. Other than that it's just a byte for byte copy like dd.

The only Premiere image I have at the moment is a TCD746320 that went through at least one guided setup and software update (but no recordings). The VHD file is 3.4GB and it will zip down to less than 2GB. Another member used it on a brand-new drive and the raw VHD file was 1.5GB.

The first alpha only ran on Windows 7, but now I read and write the VHD files myself and it runs on XP or later.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #2000
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post

A true truncated backup in the classic MFSLive sense is still a ways off, but my method works fairly well if you start with a "virgin" drive. It uses the same tech as Microsoft's virtual hard drive files for Virtual PC. The drive is broken into 2MB blocks, and the blocks that are all zeroes are just noted in the header instead of being copied. Other than that it's just a byte for byte copy like dd.

The only Premiere image I have at the moment is a TCD746320 that went through at least one guided setup and software update (but no recordings). The VHD file is 3.4GB and it will zip down to less than 2GB. Another member used it on a brand-new drive and the raw VHD file was 1.5GB.

The first alpha only ran on Windows 7, but now I read and write the VHD files myself and it runs on XP or later.
Have you or anyone else experimented with restoring this to a larger HD and using JMFS to expand/supersize?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #2001
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Have you or anyone else experimented with restoring this to a larger HD and using JMFS to expand/supersize?
I have. The image is from a 320GB premiere drive. I restored it to a 1TB drive and placed it in my XL and forced a reload of the OS and went through the setup. Took it out of my XL and used JMFS to expand and supersize it. Put it back in the XL and worked just fine with full 1TB capacity.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #2002
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post

For a business this may have some good use but for somebody that just wants a backup and expansion of his TP or TP-4 holding onto a 320Gb or 500Gb drive is just not that costly at todays prices + if you set up the original drive first your backup (if and when needed) will not need the cable cards paired again.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #2003
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
For a business this may have some good use but for somebody that just wants a backup and expansion of his TP or TP-4 holding onto a 320Gb or 500Gb drive is just not that costly at todays prices + if you set up the original drive first your backup (if and when needed) will not need the cable cards paired again.
How about for people in this situation?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #2004
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The original image was from retiredqwest. He restored it to a 2TB drive and it expanded successfully with JMFS. It has also been used by gkuyat and jmbach. Thank you gentlemen!

I don't have a Premiere, but it's a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Agreed. It's more for people with a failed drive and no backup. It could also help XL4 owners or anyone who just wants a backup. Set up your new TiVo, get it paired, then back it up before you start recording shows. A DVD or thumb drive is cheap insurance.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #2005
unitron

Quote:
I have. The image is from a 320GB premiere drive. I restored it to a 1TB drive and placed it in my XL and forced a reload of the OS and went through the setup. Took it out of my XL and used JMFS to expand and supersize it. Put it back in the XL and worked just fine with full 1TB capacity.

When you say XL, do you mean a Premiere XL?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #2006
jmbach

Quote:
When you say XL, do you mean a Premiere XL?
Yes

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #2007
pspens

Quote:
Intellipark notices a lack of drive activity,

A TiVo's hard drive is always working, because at a minimum the 30 minute buffer is being filled all the time.

The 2 exceptions to that are when the AC power has been disconnected from the TiVo, obviously, and when the TiVo is doing a soft re-boot.
Isn't a 3rd exception when you place the unit into standby? I think it only records Season Passes at that point and not Live TV, or am I wrong about that?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #2008
lpwcomp

Quote:
Isn't a 3rd exception when you place the unit into standby? I think it only records Season Passes at that point and not Live TV, or am I wrong about that?
That's right, you're wrong.
All recording continues.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #2009
mattack

Quote:
Have not had a problem with the Linux on the JMFS seeing my SATA <>USB docks unless it is connected to my USB 3.0 port.

Sorry, maybe it's only the "dual dock" ones. Do you have one of those?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #2010
mattack

BTW, another slight exception is when you're checking the cablecards and/or channels, IIRC… Whichever thing you rarely do that it warns you that it has to stop recording live TV and scheduled recordings..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote