TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
wgoose26

Comcast M-card and activation

Since activating my Comcast service in November, I have spent the past 10 weeks (ok, i took some time off during the Holidays) attempting to get an M-card for my Tivo unit in Philadelphia from Comcast.

The "customer service" agent -- i use the term loosely -- even played the S-card: saying that Hurricane Sandy had so direly affected the region that they couldn't get me a cable card... HA!

At one point i went to a suburban office (in Willow grove, 15 miles outside the city) and they said they had M-cards, but couldn't give one to me because my cable was for center-city Phila. and they weren't compatible.

OK, here is my question. If i get a cable card from this suburban office (through my employer's comcast account with the suburban Comcast) can i just take the card and then activate it from my home account, even though it is a different Comcast "region"?

thanks for any help - wish i had read this forum 2 months ago
~glenn
wgoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The CableCARD must be on your account, at the address where the Comcast service is being used.

CableCARDs (M-CARDS) are not necessarily compatible between one market/region to another, they are generally coded to a specific cable headend or plant.

CableCARDs also come from 2 main suppliers "Scientific Atlanta/Cisco" and "Motorola". Each Cable system is designed to work with one or the other and are not interchangeable.

Print out the following FCC Doc and take it with you to your local Comcast Store and File an FCC complaint.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-11-1373A1.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
wgoose26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoose26 View Post
Since activating my Comcast service in

thanks for any help - wish i had read this forum 2 months ago
~glenn
Thanks for your reply.... as it was, after a few more calls to offshore customer service, one of them said there were "6 Cable Cards in Philadelphia!" So I hustled down to the office before they closed at 6, and got my M-card. Three phone calls to the activation center later and my 10-week odyssey was over - I have a working Tivo/DVR with all channels.

Of course, the fact that I had to wait 2 months for any cablecards to show up in the 5th largest city in the country -- and home to Comcast -- is ridiculous. Added to that, many buildings (mine included) forbid dishes and FIOS is not available for much of the area, so Comcast has a virtual monopoly.

OK, off the soapbox. At least i can get On Demand.

Last edited by wgoose26 : 01-25-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typos
wgoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
tatergator1

You really start to wonder how intentional crap like this is. It's not like there's a shortage of CableCards. There's one in every newer STB and DVR Comcast has in Philidelphia.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote