TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
malayphred
Underpowered User

So what's the deal??

Tivo has some killer good deals on equipment right now.

What's going on?

Is this stuff obsolete and being cleared out for bigger and better models?

Should a prospective buyer wait and see what's down the pipe? Or take advantage of what is being offered now?

Inquiring minds want to know.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
davezatz
Funkadelic

I assume there's always something in the pipeline and a TiVo platform refresh is overdue. But this might be more about just picking up more/new customers. When's the next earnings call? Hm.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

March will be the 3 year anniversary of the Premiere so they may have a hardware refresh coming. Perhaps a new platform that will support more tuners and maybe even built in TiVo Stream type abilities.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
billbillw

What do you consider a really killer deal? They are only about $50 below what they've been. Considering that I bought my Premiere last spring for only $49 (it was refurb, but like new), I don't think these deals are that spectacular.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
innocentfreak

I believe the event was March 2nd, and the invites went out in early February so it is possible they may be doing something soon.

11/28 was their last earnings call it looks like so mid February should be the next one. It isn't on the calender yet.

We are also about a week past last year when the major HD patch rolled out with the HD guide where Margret also gave some details on what was coming later in the year. We have heard nothing this year, and TiVo does seem to have gone quiet so who knows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
What do you consider a really killer deal? They are only about $50 below what they've been. Considering that I bought my Premiere last spring for only $49 (it was refurb, but like new), I don't think these deals are that spectacular.
Check the Premiere forum. Some people are getting $49 lifetime offers to come back.

Also there has been an uptick in emails offering money off the hardware. I never got any before and I have gotten three I think in the last few months.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Check the Premiere forum. Some people are getting $49 lifetime offers to come back.

Also there has been an uptick in emails offering money off the hardware. I never got any before and I have gotten three I think in the last few months.
I have been over there. $99 lifetime on S3 has been around for a while. I've take advantage of it twice, but I'm not entirely convinced the $49 lifetime on the S4 is legit yet. Seems too good to be true.

If it pans out, that is a spectacular service deal and I'll be cancelling my Premiere as soon as the 1-yr is up in a few months. (I'll just go back to using my lifetime S3 for a few months then try for the $49 life.)

However, something tells me that $49 deal won't be a widespread offer. Perhaps for people who have left Tivo entirely.

I have 4 Tivos now and Tivo pretty much know I'm not going anywhere.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote