TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
jholliday

Angry TiVo User Interface Completely Broken (RANT)

I purchased a TiVo Premier XL4 thinking that the "smart" folks at TiVo would surely have improved on what was for me 10 years of flawless recording bliss.

Boy, I could not have been more wrong!

The "new" user interface is so confusing and annoying, I'm almost ready to throw the unit into the trash just to get some measure of satisfaction.

First of all, this whole "wish list" recording option is totally useless. I'd at least like the option of choosing a "classic" mode that I'm familiar with. Season passes I understand.

Second, the search index seems to be totally flawed. Even on the TiVo website, I can't find even mainstream shows. For example, sign into the TiVo site and enter a simple search for "Castle". Surprise - no results. Do this enough times with enough shows and you completely lose confidence that you will ever find anything.

Finally, the performance of the screens of this "top of the line" premier box is incredibly slow. Just click on "My Shows" and it takes a full 8 seconds to display anything. I assume it's busy fetching a list of available shows and the like. But with so much memory and processing power available, I don't understand why there should be any delay at all.

<END OF RANT>
jholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

So turn off the HDUI and use the old SDUI you are used to using.

Settings -> Displays -> Choose TiVo Menus -> TiVo with SD Menus

BTW, the HDUI will speed up after you have been using it for a day or two. It took me a year before I switched to it. Did you get the 20.2.x update yet, or is your TiVo running something older still?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholliday View Post

Second, the search index seems to be totally flawed. Even on the TiVo website, I can't find even mainstream shows. For example, sign into the TiVo site and enter a simple search for "Castle". Surprise - no results. Do this enough times with enough shows and you completely lose confidence that you will ever find anything.
A search for "castle" returns the show "Castle" as the first result for me on both my TiVo and tivo.com. Are you sure you didn't just setup a new TiVo? It can take a day or two for the guide info to sync with your account.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
mrsean

Quote:
First of all, this whole "wish list" recording option is totally useless.
Useless how? Do you even know what the purpose of a wishlist is? Sounds like no, otherwise you would not have a made an unclarified and senseless comment like that. Eventhough, I rarely use it wishlist is the most powerful and unique feature on a Tivo. I don't know of a single other DVR that has this capability.

Quote:
Finally, the performance of the screens of this "top of the line" premier box is incredibly slow. Just click on "My Shows" and it takes a full 8 seconds to display anything. I assume it's busy fetching a list of available shows and the like. But with so much memory and processing power available, I don't understand why there should be any delay at all.

<END OF RANT>
Good. If you want to temporary speed up the XL4 a bit put all your tuners except the current one that is being record or you are watching to stations that you do not have access to. This way there will be nothing for the Tivo to fill three of it's live buffers with.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

Wishlists work great for me. Have several on both by Tivo's and never have had any issues setting one up. Dunno what the issue is for the OP. Wishlists is one thing that keeps me with Tivo.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
billbillw

Sounds like someone is stuck in their old ways. I love the Premiere, just bought a second one. Wishlist works like a charm. For instance, I made one for "Downton". It recorded Masterpiece Classic Downton shows, but not the other Masterpiece shows that I don't want to see. It also recorded various specials about the castle, interviews with the actors, etc. It is a great feature.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
compnurd

Easy boys First time poster here. Take this with a grain of salt
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
MacBrian

Yeah...what compnurd said. The OP is frustrated and unfamiliar with the new interface. We've all been there, done that, haven't we?

One thing I discovered that made a BIG difference with the speed of the HD Tivo UI was switching the network DNS to Google's DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Google's DNS seems to be much more responsive faster than my IP provider's DNS. And the HD Tivo UI makes pretty heavy use of the internet connection...so having a fast response really makes a difference in the speed of the Premier's HD menus.
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think the OP really understands the old UI, either. The TiVo has always (well, at least as long as I've known it) had both Wishlists and Season Passes, and both are still available, regardless of whether you're using the SDUI or HDUI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
scole250

Try using a TWC DVR for a while. You'll have more patience with the Tivo HDUI after that.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Try using a TWC DVR for a while. You'll have more patience with the Tivo HDUI after that.
I was using a dvr on a Charter system on vacation, never been so happy to get back to my Premier and Tivo HD. you don't realize what you take for granted on a Tivo until you have to use something else.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
sieglinde

It took some getting used to, but I can do everything I did on my old HD.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
rainwater

To sum up:
1) Wishlist functionality is the same as with the S2 platform whether using the HDUI or the SD UI. The only difference is TiVo added a quick way to add wishlist from TiVo Search for shows with no upcoming episodes.
2) Searching works well and the issue the OP had was most likely because their TiVo was just set up and didn't have all the guide data.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote