TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #121
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
Thanks for the info. Well, I couldn't resist. I mean I know my HD currently does what I need it to do but the fact I can upgrade it to 2tb(my HD is 1tb) and it has 4 tuners and supports On-Demand was a little hard to resist. That and that I can give it to my bro
That is exactly what I did. I use Harmony remotes, so the glo remote wasnt an issue, nor was a moca adapter included with the XL. I just ordered the $249 Tivo4, and a 2TB Seagate 7200 rpm drive off Amazon. I like having the original drive stored for emergencies anyway, so this was the cheapest route I could find for a 4 tuner, 317 hour box...and with the original drive unused and stored, the PLS should last quite a long time. The power supply looks to be easily repaired or replaced should it fail.

Ive had good luck with Tivo's anyway. Still have a Phillips series 1, and a Sony Series 1, both with PLS, still in use in the guest room using a Comcast DTA. Its SD only, but for the guests, its good enough for occasional use.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #122
billbillw

I didn't get any emails, but I called in and asked about the various offers. They said I didn't qualify for any of the ones discussed above, but I was eligible for a free accessory. I just went for the Premiere 4 for $199 (current 'big game' deal), got a free MOCA adapter, and that qualified me to get the $99 lifetime on my Tivo HD. I'll probably sell it to recoup the cost.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #123
tdroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
I didn't get any emails, but I called in and asked about the various offers. They said I didn't qualify for any of the ones discussed above, but I was eligible for a free accessory. I just went for the Premiere 4 for $199 (current 'big game' deal), got a free MOCA adapter, and that qualified me to get the $99 lifetime on my Tivo HD. I'll probably sell it to recoup the cost.
Just got off the phone with Tivo...I got the upgrade email for $249 for P4, free MOCA adapter, $99 lifetime on Tivo HD, and transfer my $6.95 service to the P4. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me the "Big Game" $50 off deal. Nor, would they sell me the Premiere 2 for $149 instead of the Premier 4. Said that they wouldn't stack deals with another $50 off, and if I changed to the Premier 2, I couldn't keep my $6.95 service. So, I went with it. I'll give it the 30 days to see if it's worth it.
tdroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #124
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdroz View Post
Just got off the phone with Tivo...I got the upgrade email for $249 for P4, free MOCA adapter, $99 lifetime on Tivo HD, and transfer my $6.95 service to the P4. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me the "Big Game" $50 off deal. Nor, would they sell me the Premiere 2 for $149 instead of the Premier 4. Said that they wouldn't stack deals with another $50 off, and if I changed to the Premier 2, I couldn't keep my $6.95 service. So, I went with it. I'll give it the 30 days to see if it's worth it.
You got the "transfer service" deal which will end up being a greater discount over time. I didn't qualify for that (because I already had an S3 with lifetime and a Premiere 320gb). Didn't really matter because I was paying $12.95 for the Tivo HD and will just be paying $12.99 for the Premiere 4.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #125
MPSAN

I got off the phone aand they will give me the deal on a Premier XL4 for $349.99+399.99 lifetime. That is $200 more than the 75HR model. That seems a lot for a 2GB HDD!

Also, I am on Frontier FIOS, will the XL4 do ON Demand? I can not get an answer from TiVO!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #126
blackngold75

It will NOT do OnDemand. The only OnDemand currently implemented for TiVo is for some Comcast customers.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #127
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
It will NOT do OnDemand. The only OnDemand currently implemented for TiVo is for some Comcast customers.
Thank you. I thought that was the case but the TIVO sales people seem to think it would do everything. I did not get the idea he knew what I was asking.

Now, I guess the big deal is streaming vs. copy. We have copy bits set on almost all stations, except the Networks. I believe that streaming will NOT work between XL4 (or Premiere 4) and THD Series 3, correct?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #128
jrtroo
User

Streaming is unique to the Premiere.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #129
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Streaming is unique to the Premiere.
OK, I may need 2 but the offer is only good 'til 8PM. I believe I will pass this time and see what happens. I think the big deal may be Lifetime as even BestBuy has the TiVO for a good price at times.