TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well that sucked!

Second time in a couple weeks my TiVo Elite has failed me. When I got home last night around 11:00pm I checked My Shows and noticed it was missing some stuff. I checked the history and it said they were all missed because of "no signal". I dropped to live TV and could not get any channels to tune. Ocassionally it would kick in like it was trying to tune, but it was pixelated. I switched to my wife's TiVo, which is connected to the same splitter, and hers worked fine. So I rebooted my TiVo. When it came back it could tune some channels, but was still having trouble. So I then rebooted the tuning adapter and once it came back online everything was working again. Although I'm not 100% sure if it was the TA or just the time it took for it to reboot that fixed the problem. I've seen issues before with the CableCARD doing weird things immediately after a reboot.

Anyway, whatever happened, I missed everything that was scheduled to record last night because of this! Luckily we have BitTorrent to fall back on in situations like this.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
tatergator1

My vote would be the TA. When mine locks up, I usually lose all channels. What model TA do you have and how long have you had it? With Time Warner Cable, it seems to be the norm that the Cisco TA's lock-up every 1-2 months and require a reboot of both TA and Tivo to get back up and running.

If it happens again, depending on your setup, try the following to see if you get non-SDV stations back:

1) Coax from Cable Co --> Splitter --> TA and Splitter --> Coax In on Tivo

Remove the TA USB from the Tivo. You'll still need to reboot both boxes to get the TA to properly communicate with the Tivo.

2) Coax from Cable Co --> TA --> Coax In on Tivo. (uses Coax Out on TA)

Remove the TA USB from the Tivo. You'll also need to take your TA out of line, so Coax from Cable Co --> Coax In on Tivo.

That should differentiate between common TA problems and something else with the Tivo or CableCard
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Second time in a couple weeks my TiVo Elite has failed me. When I got home last night around 11:00pm I checked My Shows and noticed it was missing some stuff. I checked the history and it said they were all missed because of "no signal". I dropped to live TV and could not get any channels to tune. Ocassionally it would kick in like it was trying to tune, but it was pixelated. I switched to my wife's TiVo, which is connected to the same splitter, and hers worked fine. So I rebooted my TiVo. When it came back it could tune some channels, but was still having trouble. So I then rebooted the tuning adapter and once it came back online everything was working again. Although I'm not 100% sure if it was the TA or just the time it took for it to reboot that fixed the problem. I've seen issues before with the CableCARD doing weird things immediately after a reboot.

Anyway, whatever happened, I missed everything that was scheduled to record last night because of this! Luckily we have BitTorrent to fall back on in situations like this.

Dan
I occasional have actual reception problems (OTA), but have always been able to stream missed shows from Hulu or the Networks web site (via a HTPC). But just out of curiosity what BitTorrent site do you use? How good is the quality (is it better than Hulu)? My Internet is pretty poor (frontier DSL) and being able to download a show versus having to stream it would be good many days even if I had to wait to watch it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine is a Motorola from Charter and I've had it for 3+ years without a problem. I already have the cable split with a second leg going to just the TAs. In fact when they gave me the TAs they put this block on the passthrough port so it couldn't be used. They said it reduced the signal too much and you have to use a splitter.

I hope this isn't a sign my TiVo is dying. A couple weeks ago I had a problem where the TiVo rebooted right at 9:00pm and I lost 7 minutes from several shows. This week this happens.

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I occasional have actual reception problems (OTA), but have always been able to stream missed shows from Hulu or the Networks web site (via a HTPC). But just out of curiosity what BitTorrent site do you use? How good is the quality (is it better than Hulu)? My Internet is pretty poor (frontier DSL) and being able to download a show versus having to stream it would be good many days even if I had to wait to watch it.
I use eztv.it they have almost every show you can think of. The quality depends on the person who did the capture and encode, but desperate times make me a little less picky about quality.

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
moyekj

Many 4 tuner unit owners in this forum are finding out the hard way that the tuners in the 4-tuner units have some major issues. Ever since I've had my Elite there has been occasional problems with tuning of some sort. In the meantime my 2 tuner Premiere has had no such issues. Seems to me like the 4-tuner units require 'pristine conditions' to work properly while the 2-tuner units do not. Adding TAs to the mix doesn't help. Seems to me like 20.2.2.* only made matters worse at least in my experience.

There's been talk about 6 tuner unit potentially in TiVo's future. I sure hope they pick different tuner hardware and/or firmware if that is indeed the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I guess it could be the software update, but I've been running that for a while only only recently started to have issues. Did they release some sort of minor update after the major one? Maybe that broke something.

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
moyekj

One common trigger for tuning problems with new software seems to be channel lineup updates. So if you know for sure there was a lineup update recently (i.e. you got a message from TiVo) then that could be it. Of course not all headend changes involve actual channel # changes. Just changes in channel QAM frequency assignments could be enough. It's anyone's guess really.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I haven't got any messages recently.

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
shamilian

Ever since version 20 of Tivo software all the premieres 2 or 4 tuners have the occasional blank screen searching for signal.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

The actual problem here though was that something caused the tuners to fail completely. Before I rebooted I couldn't tune anything. All the channels would either fail to tune or if they did tune they were all broken up like when the cable signal is too low.I even got one partial recording that was a complete mess. But I know the cable signal was fine because my wife's TiVo is connected to the exact same splitter and it recorded everything it was suppose to. Plus after the reboot I checked the signal strength and all of my channels were >90 on the scale.

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Hilltopper06

The same thing happened to my Tivo XL last weekend. I use a good OTA antenna and never have reception issues but last Saturday all of my channels said the signal was lost. When I realized the bedroom Tivo (using the same antenna) was working fine I just rebooted the XL and everything has been good since.
Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime Subscription
Hilltopper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I hope this is a one time thing. I can deal with UI bugs and slow downs, but the main reason I have TiVo is to record my shows. If it fails at that basic task then what's the point?

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
moyekj

I've already considered going back to 3 2-tuner units and dumping the Elite because of these tuning issues. It just doesn't happen quite often enough for me to resort to that yet, plus, since reboot cures it, another strategy I've considered is just have automatic timed periodic reboots (another use for those Christmas light timers).

Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I hope this is a one time thing. I can deal with UI bugs and slow downs, but the main reason I have TiVo is to record my shows. If it fails at that basic task then what's the point?
This happens with my XL4 at random intervals too. Sometimes it goes for weeks with no issues, but just yesterday the XL4 lost all channels twice in one day.

The first time it happened when I wasn't watching. I just turned on the TV and was greeted with four blank tuners and no recordings. The second time occurred while I was watching a recording. I saw heavy pixelation on the recording, then the Tivo UI became very slow. Then I checked live TV and once again saw four blank tuners.

You've framed the issue perfectly--if Tivo fails as a basic DVR, what is the point?

Add in extra frustration knowing that there is really no support for this. Tivo has known about this issue since the Elite was introduced nearly eighteen months ago. Where's the fix?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Ever since version 20 of Tivo software all the premieres 2 or 4 tuners have the occasional blank screen searching for signal.
I've had my XL4 for about a month, and this has happened twice...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
rogmatic

My Elite does it constantly when attached to a tuning adapter, but I am suddenly having the same issue with my two tuner Premiere, which previously worked great.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
MathiasRex

Had some reception issues with CableCard when I first set it up (no extended or premium channels), 4 cust service calls to my cable provider didn't solve it but a tech visit had it fixed in minutes.

Now, a couple of weeks later, I'm not getting some of the basic cable channels so have a tech coming tomorrow. All these stories are scary - I used a Series3 with two single-stream Cable Cards for years with no problems, although it was tricky to set up at the beginning too.

Oh well, love Tivo in general, so far my issues have been on my cable service (Comcast) and not Tivo. Hoping my tuner is reliable and wish everyone good luck with theirs!
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
MathiasRex

Cable card problems solved again. Tech deactivated two old cards on my account that I was using on my Series3, now for sale BTW in buyer/seller section.

Current card was moved up in some kind of queue since old ones are now deactivated. Had to reset the Cable Card, reboot Tivo and force it to connect to service, but that did it. All channels coming in now.
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote