TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
BTDFXD

Pixellation problem

I've searched the thread and can't find information on my specific problem so looking for help here. Setup is cox digital with HD Tivo, tuning adapter and M card. Hard drive and power supply on Tivo have recently been replaced. I sometimes get severe pixellation, which continually worsens to the point where the picture "locks up" and goes black. Does not seem to be unique to certain channels, HD or analog. Yesterday, when I turned the TV on it was in the midst of pixellation "spasms" and in a matter of minutes locked up/went to black. I rebooted Tivo and tuning adapter and the problem was fixed for the moment. Any thoughts on what the cause might be? Do M cards go bad or could the tuning adapter be bad? Appreciate any suggestions. ps signal strength appears to be 100% on all channels. Thanks
BTDFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Sig strength is 100 on ALL channels? That could indicate excessive signal, which can cause problems. Insert an inline attenuator or a signal splitter, if you have one handy, and bring at least some channels down to the 90 to 99 range. What are the RS error counts doing? (DVR Diagnostics)

Very unlikely either the TA or CableCARD(s) are the problem, but a bad CC isn't impossible.

Unfortunately new power supplies and new hard drives can still be bad. Try KickStart 54 for the hard drive, although that doesn't catch all problems. Can you inspect the power supply for bulging capacitors and/or measure the voltages?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
BTDFXD

SNR is 36dB and RS uncorrected and corrected are both zero. Signal strength on diagnostics page is 100. I ran kick start 54 and no errors indicated-the power supply was nos from I think Weaknees- the hard drive was also new and I installed both of them myself. The problem is intermittent but when it does happen it seems like it "shorts out" the picture. Could you advise me where I could get an attenuators and is it hard to install? I also have 2 premieres with the same cable feed and no issues. Thanks for your help.
BTDFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Do you get those good SNR and RS Correction numbers on a channel while it is locked up or pixellating badly? If the RS numbers are always zero or small, I doubt if excessive signal is your problem, although notice this statement from a TiVo support web page:
Quote:
NOTE: If your signal strength is at 100 and the video looks fine - this is not an error. The signal strength meter sets 100 at a safe threshold. If the signal is at this threshold or a bit beyond, your picture quality should be excellent. If the signal strength is well beyond the threshold, it will still register as "100", but you may experience poor picture quality as some box components cycle in and out of "protect" mode to prevent damage.
The web page is this one:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150
Attenuators are cheap, e.g.:
http://www.amazon.com/3db-Coax-Cable.../dp/B0013L69D2
Get one each of 3, 6 and 10 dB. Just unplug the coax from the TiVo, connect the attenuator then connect the cable to the attenuator.

I also suspect a power supply problem just from your description of the symptoms. Recommend you measure at least the 5V (+/-5%) and 12V (+/-10%) under load. And look for bulging caps:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894 , look at post #2.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote