TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #1951
simon7

I am going to try copying to a different hard drive. If that works, we will know it is the drive and not the motherboard. Will report back in several hours or tomorrow.

Quote:
So /dev/sde is absolutely confirmed to be the brand new never used for anything yet WD20EURS?
No, actually I did format it in W7 right after taking it out of the package. I wanted to be sure any bad sectors were reallocated.

Last edited by simon7 : 01-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1952
simon7

Getting weirder

I have three different 2TB disks. I ran each of them through the hdparm and ALL THREE return the mysterious: "max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"

I also tried several 1TB drives and a 3TB drive. All check out normally. Really not sure what to make of it.

I tried reformatting one of the 2TB drives on my laptop, but I still get the weird hdparm outcome. All these 2TB drives were probably orginially formatted on my desktop at the beginning of their life, so they do have that in common. But shouldn't a fresh format elsewhere fix any partition problem. And if it is a 2TB limit, wouldn't the 3TB drive have problems too?

Could it be a bug in hdparm?

So weird...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1953
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
I am going to try copying to a different hard drive. If that works, we will know it is the drive and not the motherboard. Will report back in several hours or tomorrow.

No, actually I did format it in W7 right after taking it out of the package. I wanted to be sure any bad sectors were reallocated.
The way to do that is to run the WD diagnostics long test. No need for Windows to ever touch the drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #1954
unitron

Quote:
I have three different 2TB disks. I ran each of them through the hdparm and ALL THREE return the mysterious: "max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"

I also tried several 1TB drives and a 3TB drive. All check out normally. Really not sure what to make of it.

I tried reformatting one of the 2TB drives on my laptop, but I still get the weird hdparm outcome. All these 2TB drives were probably orginially formatted on my desktop at the beginning of their life, so they do have that in common. But shouldn't a fresh format elsewhere fix any partition problem. And if it is a 2TB limit, wouldn't the 3TB drive have problems too?

Could it be a bug in hdparm?

So weird...
What are the brand and model numbers of those 3 2TB drives?

What's the model number of the GigaByte motherboard?

Try looking at the EURS with

hdparm -N /dev/sdwhatever

on the laptop after booting it with something with hdparm, like the jmfs cd or the MFS Live cd.

(at this point, you should probably burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4, available from mfslive.org, and use it for hdparming, to reduce the chance of accidents and confusion)

I'll look at my "spare, but only for the moment" EURS on a non-GB board with hdparm -N and see what I get, but don't forget that email, 'cause I think we're gonna have to go ninja before this is through.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #1955
simon7

Just tried repeating the exact same process on the Gigabyte motherboard but instead using a 2TB Samsung HD204UI: WORKED perfectly the first time.

Not only that, but the 2TB Samsung reports the same weird hdparm message ("max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"), yet it still boots just fine in the Tivo (both expanded and expanded and supersized).

So, I'm back to the WD20EURS being the problem. I would simply conclude that it is DOA, but I can format and access it in Windows, and S.M.A.R.T. looks fine.

Sooooo.... possible theories include
- WDIDLE3 1.05 incorrectly reporting/configuring the Intellipark for this drive (I did mess with this)
- changes to the WD20EURS firmware that somehow makes it incompatible with TIVO
- some minor hardware failure that Windows ignores, but Tivo does not
- something else beyond my comprehension (like maybe a change to advance format or something)

Ug. At this point, I'm tempted to just use the Samsung, but I was using it for something else and bought the EURS specifically for the Tivo.

Thanks for all your hard thinking on this issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #1956
unitron

"changes to the WD20EURS firmware that somehow makes it incompatible with TIVO"

Sure hope that's not the case or I'm out $100.

As an experiment, could you try

a. Running hdparm -N on the laptop on that EURS

b. "Xeroxing" the Samsung to the WD and seeing if that boots the TiVo

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #1957
jmbach

Quote:
Just tried repeating the exact same process on the Gigabyte motherboard but instead using a 2TB Samsung HD204UI: WORKED perfectly the first time.

Not only that, but the 2TB Samsung reports the same weird hdparm message ("max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"), yet it still boots just fine in the Tivo (both expanded and expanded and supersized).

So, I'm back to the WD20EURS being the problem. I would simply conclude that it is DOA, but I can format and access it in Windows, and S.M.A.R.T. looks fine.

Sooooo.... possible theories include
- WDIDLE3 1.05 incorrectly reporting/configuring the Intellipark for this drive (I did mess with this)
- changes to the WD20EURS firmware that somehow makes it incompatible with TIVO
- some minor hardware failure that Windows ignores, but Tivo does not
- something else beyond my comprehension (like maybe a change to advance format or something)

Ug. At this point, I'm tempted to just use the Samsung, but I was using it for something else and bought the EURS specifically for the Tivo.

Thanks for all your hard thinking on this issue.
Don't believe wdidle3 did anything to the drive. I ran wdidle3 on my WD20EURS dive and showed the intellipark has been disabled making me believe like others that newer versions of the drive has it disabled as a default.
Would connect the drive to a non gigabyte MB and do testing and such. Many gigabyte MB have a feature that stores a copy of the BIOS on the drive for recovery later. This might be causing your discrepancy. On some MB you can go into the BIOS and disable this feature but not all. This is why you want to keep a drive connected to SATA0. It is supposed that the BIOS uses any drive connected to SATA0 for this purpose.
I would as I believe has been suggested earlier run WD diagnostic on the drive. Would run it from a non gigabyte MB just to make sure. It can erase the drive which may reset the parameters you are having trouble with. Would run it connected as a SATA or eSata drive. I have performed copy expand and supersize all from a laptop for multiple TiVo drives. Connecting it via USB I found that information provided to the diagnostic program is somewhat limited.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #1958
simon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
As an experiment, could you try
a. Running hdparm -N on the laptop on that EURS
I'm pretty sure I did do this yesterday when trying the USB copy, with the same weird outcome. Maybe will try again, after finishing B.

Quote:
b. "Xeroxing" the Samsung to the WD and seeing if that boots the TiVo
I've started this process today. It will take a looooooong time.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1959
unitron

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I did do this yesterday when trying the USB copy, with the same weird outcome. Maybe will try again, after finishing B.

I've started this process today. It will take a looooooong time.
Yes, it will.

And that's if you let it copy at the default fast, big chunks at a time, rate.

I've had dd_rescue running for about 4 days now at 512 bytes, 1 byte fallback hoping to save the contents of a WD20EADS that's gone squirrely, with another 400Gb or so to go.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1960
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Don't believe wdidle3 did anything to the drive. I ran wdidle3 on my WD20EURS dive and showed the intellipark has been disabled making me believe like others that newer versions of the drive has it disabled as a default.
Unitron,

I don't believe any of WD's AV drives have had Intellipark active.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1961
L David Matheny

Here are a couple of data points. Since I like backups and nature abhors an empty drive, I cloned my Premiere's WD20EVDS to a new WD20EURS using the ddrescue copy function of Comer's JMFS CD. It took about 18.2 hours (on my old Asus P4C800-E motherboard), and the new drive booted OK (cold and warm) and ran without incident for the several hours I tested it, including at least one point at which it was making two recordings while I watched a third one. I used the HDUI (which I'm evaluating) with no network connection, ignoring the C130 errors.

While the EURS was in the Premiere, I copied again to a new WD20EFRX (WD Red drive designed for NAS) using the ddrescue on the Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 CD. That copy took only about 7.2 hours (why?), and the new drive behaved similarly to the EURS as far as I can tell. One bit of strangeness is that during the copy operation the EFRX's activity LED (on the drive dock, I guess) would stutter and stop briefly every 25 to 30 seconds causing the current rate to plunge briefly. During the copy to the EURS, the current rate would jump around within a window from about 75% to 100% of maximum, but it never plunged. I thought the difference in average rates could be due to a difference in ddrescue block size used, but the GNU ddrescue online manual indicates that it defaults to only 64K blocks just like the version the JMFS CD uses. Could this mean that the JMFS CD is actually using the older dd_rescue but calling it "ddrescue"? Or is it just using an older release?

To verify that the difference wasn't caused by the drive, I copied a third time onto another EURS, and that also took about 7.2 hours and behaved similarly. I've had both WD20EURS drives for several months and had run only the WD long diagnostic test on them before. I think I'll use the (presumably newer) ddrescue version on the Ubuntu Rescue Remix CD for any multi-terabyte copies I do in the future.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 01-09-2013 at 11:40 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #1962
joeshannallie

Need T800 image
joeshannallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #1963
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshannallie View Post
Need T800 image
Wrong thread.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #1964
retiredqwest

ddrescue -V shows version # and Diaz as the author on both copies.

ddrescue on the JMFS is version 1.11 and Ubuntu cd is version 1.14. I tried to find a change list/file for ddrescue, but struck out.

I tried the Ubuntu Remix CD and got as far as fdisk. I tried various switches
but it still kept giving me an error. JMFS fdisk worked just fine. This is using a known good 320GB and 2TB drives on direct MB SATA ports. I might go play with this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Here are a couple of data points. Since I like backups and nature abhors an empty drive, I cloned my Premiere's WD20EVDS to a new WD20EURS using the ddrescue copy function of Comer's JMFS CD. It took about 18.2 hours (on my old Asus P4C800-E motherboard), and the new drive booted OK (cold and warm) and ran without incident for the several hours I tested it, including at least one point at which it was making two recordings while I watched a third one. I used the HDUI (which I'm evaluating) with no network connection, ignoring the C130 errors.

While the EURS was in the Premiere, I copied again to a new WD20EFRX (WD Red drive designed for NAS) using the ddrescue on the Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 CD. That copy took only about 7.2 hours (why?), and the new drive behaved similarly to the EURS as far as I can tell. One bit of strangeness is that during the copy operation the EFRX's activity LED (on the drive dock, I guess) would stutter and stop briefly every 25 to 30 seconds causing the current rate to plunge briefly. During the copy to the EURS, the current rate would jump around within a window from about 75% to 100% of maximum, but it never plunged. I thought the difference in average rates could be due to a difference in ddrescue block size used, but the GNU ddrescue online manual indicates that it defaults to only 64K blocks just like the version the JMFS CD uses. Could this mean that the JMFS CD is actually using the older dd_rescue but calling it "ddrescue"? Or is it just using an older release?

To verify that the difference wasn't caused by the drive, I copied a third time onto another EURS, and that also took about 7.2 hours and behaved similarly. I've had both WD20EURS drives for several months and had run only the WD long diagnostic test on them before. I think I'll use the (presumably newer) ddrescue version on the Ubuntu Rescue Remix CD for any multi-terabyte copies I do in the future.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #1965
tdp117

So I have all my drives connected, boot from the cd, and it tells me there is no Tivo disk detected. I go to the prompt and it is recognizing the drives are connected. It shows that neither the new drive nor the Original have any existing partitions. Does this mean what I think it means? Is my original drive toast and now I have to get ahold of another working premiere drive? Or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Last edited by tdp117 : 01-14-2013 at 09:21 PM.
tdp117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #1966
Davelnlr_

Plug it back in the Tivo and see if it boots.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #1967
mattack

How are the drives connected? Directly to the computer? The Linux on the jmfs CD won't see external USB<>SATA 'docks' for example.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #1968
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
How are the drives connected? Directly to the computer? The Linux on the jmfs CD won't see external USB<>SATA 'docks' for example.
Have not had a problem with the Linux on the JMFS seeing my SATA <>USB docks unless it is connected to my USB 3.0 port.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1969
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp117 View Post
So I have all my drives connected, boot from the cd, and it tells me there is no Tivo disk detected. I go to the prompt and it is recognizing the drives are connected. It shows that neither the new drive nor the Original have any existing partitions. Does this mean what I think it means? Is my original drive toast and now I have to get ahold of another working premiere drive? Or am I possibly doing something wrong?
Could try running MFSInfo on the drive and see what it displays.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #1970
tdp117

Both drives are hooked up via usb enclosures. I should also preface that the original drive, when in the tivo, does the loop reboot with the GSOD.
tdp117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #1971
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp117 View Post

See if the jmfs cd has

pdisk

on it, cause

fdisk

ain't gonna show Apple Partition Map style partitions, which is what the TiVo drive uses

At the command line

pdisk -l

That's a lowercase L, and be sure to include the space before the hyphen and don't put a space after it.

That should show all the drives and only find the APM type, ignoring any MS/IBM/DOS/WINDOWS/MBR type partitions.

Or you could go back to the first post in this thread, read the USAGE ADVANCED part and learn how to use mfslayout.sh

Probably better not to boot into Windows and try to look at the Premiere drive with WinMFS.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #1972
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Could try running MFSInfo on the drive and see what it displays.

Perhaps the one on the MFS Live cd, but the one in WinMFS involves booting into Windows, and some people have managed to hose their Premiere drives doing that.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #1973
jmbach

Quote:
Perhaps the one on the MFS Live cd, but the one in WinMFS involves booting into Windows, and some people have managed to hose their Premiere drives doing that.
I agree. Would be MFSlayout on JMFS I believe.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #1974
sethmeisterg

Building sources fails with JDK 1.6/1.7

Hi,

I tried building the sources using OpenJDK 1.6, 1.7 and Oracle JDK 1.7 and they all fail at:

Buildfile: /home/seth/jmfs/build.xml

init:

compile:
[echo] Compiling...
[javac] /home/seth/jmfs/build.xml:86: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
[javac] Compiling 49 source files to /home/seth/jmfs/bin
[javac] /home/seth/jmfs/src/tivo/mfs/db/SubObject.java:41: error: invalid inferred types for T; inferred type does not conform to declared bound(s)
[javac] a = Utils.read(in, a);
[javac] ^
[javac] inferred: Attribute<?>
[javac] bound(s): Readable<Attribute<?>>
[javac] where T,K are type-variables:
[javac] T extends Readable<T> declared in method <T,K>read(DataInput,K)
[javac] K extends T declared in method <T,K>read(DataInput,K)
[javac] 1 error

BUILD FAILED
/home/seth/jmfs/build.xml:86: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second

What am I missing?

Thanks,
--S
sethmeisterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #1975
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmeisterg View Post
Hi,

I tried building the sources using OpenJDK 1.6, 1.7 and Oracle JDK 1.7 and they all fail at:

Buildfile: /home/seth/jmfs/build.xml

init:

compile:
[echo] Compiling...
[javac] /home/seth/jmfs/build.xml:86: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
[javac] Compiling 49 source files to /home/seth/jmfs/bin
[javac] /home/seth/jmfs/src/tivo/mfs/db/SubObject.java:41: error: invalid inferred types for T; inferred type does not conform to declared bound(s)
[javac] a = Utils.read(in, a);
[javac] ^
[javac] inferred: Attribute<?>
[javac] bound(s): Readable<Attribute<?>>
[javac] where T,K are type-variables:
[javac] T extends Readable<T> declared in method <T,K>read(DataInput,K)
[javac] K extends T declared in method <T,K>read(DataInput,K)
[javac] 1 error

BUILD FAILED
/home/seth/jmfs/build.xml:86: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second

What am I missing?

Thanks,
--S
Google "omikron prom day" and you'll find links to that "other" TiVo-centric site which may not be named here where there's less activity but the readership is more likely to be able to discuss things on the level necessary to handle your question.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1976
MapleLeaf

Gigabyte concerns

Last week, I bit on Tivo's current $549 offer for a lifetime TP4. I got it up and running this weekend, and plan to eventually use JMFS to upgrade the hard drive to a WD20EURS that I purchased just before Christmas. I've already run the quick and extended WD Diag tests on the WD20EURS, used wdidle3 to confirm that it came with Intellipark disabled, and burned myself a copy of the JMFS CD. So I think I'm pretty much ready to proceed with the JMFS upgrade. I just want to give the TP4 a bit of bake time to ensure it's working properly before cracking it open (I'll probably give it another week or so).

However, my big concern is that the PC with which I plan to perform the upgrade has a Gigabyte motherboard. The model number is GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3. Now, I did notice that the user ShinySteelRobot posted in this thread about a year ago (post #1430) that he successfully performed an upgrade using a very similar Gigabyte motherboard model (GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3). Nevertheless, all the other warnings in this thread regarding Gigabyte motherboards and its HPA has me a little freaked out.

I currently have an SSD hooked up to SATA port 0 and on which Windows 7 64-bit is installed. I also have a WD20EARS hooked up to SATA port 1 which houses Windows' \users directory and other data. I am planning on hooking up the WD20EURS drive to SATA port 2 and the TP4 drive to SATA port 3. My thinking is that if there is an HPA issue with my motherboard, it'll target one of the first three drives and leave the TP4 drive alone. If one of the other three drives gets screwed up, I can easily rebuild my Windows box. I just don't want it messing with my TP4 drive and possibly rendering the TP4 unusable.

Does this sound a reasonable plan of action to hopefully eliminate any risk of my TP4 drive geting screwed up?

Thanks!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #1977
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Last week, I bit on Tivo's current $549 offer for a lifetime TP4. I got it up and running this weekend, and plan to eventually use JMFS to upgrade the hard drive to a WD20EURS that I purchased just before Christmas. I've already run the quick and extended WD Diag tests on the WD20EURS, used wdidle3 to confirm that it came with Intellipark disabled, and burned myself a copy of the JMFS CD. So I think I'm pretty much ready to proceed with the JMFS upgrade. I just want to give the TP4 a bit of bake time to ensure it's working properly before cracking it open (I'll probably give it another week or so).

However, my big concern is that the PC with which I plan to perform the upgrade has a Gigabyte motherboard. The model number is GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3. Now, I did notice that the user ShinySteelRobot posted in this thread about a year ago (post #1430) that he successfully performed an upgrade using a very similar Gigabyte motherboard model (GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3). Nevertheless, all the other warnings in this thread regarding Gigabyte motherboards and its HPA has me a little freaked out.

I currently have an SSD hooked up to SATA port 0 and on which Windows 7 64-bit is installed. I also have a WD20EARS hooked up to SATA port 1 which houses Windows' \users directory and other data. I am planning on hooking up the WD20EURS drive to SATA port 2 and the TP4 drive to SATA port 3. My thinking is that if there is an HPA issue with my motherboard, it'll target one of the first three drives and leave the TP4 drive alone. If one of the other three drives gets screwed up, I can easily rebuild my Windows box. I just don't want it messing with my TP4 drive and possibly rendering the TP4 unusable.

Does this sound a reasonable plan of action to hopefully eliminate any risk of my TP4 drive geting screwed up?

Thanks!
Boot that GB mobo with the jmfs cd without the TiVo drive or the TiVo drive to be hooked up.

X

to exit to the command line, then

hdparm -i /dev/sda

to make sure the SSD is hooked where you think it is

then use the up arrow to bring back the command and use the backspace key to change it to

hdparm -i /dev/sdb

and make sure thats the EARS.

Then if everything is where it's supposed to be,

hdparm -N /dev/sda

should tell you if there's an HPA on the SSD or not.

Then

hdparm -N /dev/sdb

should show that there's not one on the EARS.

If that's the case, you should be good to go.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #1978
MapleLeaf

Quote:
Boot that GB mobo with the jmfs cd without the TiVo drive or the TiVo drive to be hooked up.

Awesome, that'll make me feel even better that I'm not about to screw up my TP4 drive. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the prompt and detailed advice, Unitron!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #1979
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

Thanks!
A couple things. If that drive in your new TP4 is still virgin, pm ggieseke to use his program to make a compressed backup of it. It makes a backup of several gigabytes that zips down to about 2gb. It does this because most of a virgin drive is all 0's.
The other thing, some gigabyte motherboards have a setting in bios that reserves part of the first heard drive for a backup of the BIOS for emergency recovery. You can disable that setting which should prevent hosing your TiVo drive accidently. Just an experience I had with my fathers gigabyte motherboard and tivo drives. Even so, do what unitron recommends.

Jim
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #1980
superflysocal

Is it recommended to plug in a brand new tivo first and setup everything before doing this, or afterwards. Or does it matter?
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote