TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
dalabera

What's your monthly Comcast bill?

Looking into return my Comcast DVR and get a tivo now it has Xfinity ondemand. Currently I have Digital Starter + HD/DVR and pay $69.
If I get the the Premiere with Lifetime will I pay more or less?
dalabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalabera View Post
Looking into return my Comcast DVR and get a tivo now it has Xfinity ondemand. Currently I have Digital Starter + HD/DVR and pay $69.
If I get the the Premiere with Lifetime will I pay more or less?
In theory if you replace your only Comcast DVR with a single TiVo DVR you should save on the Comcast bill slightly because you are no longer renting a box and you should get the first cable card free.

There is a lot of theory in there though. In practice it seems like anything could happen.

Also that doesn't include the price of the TiVo service. I'm talking strictly the Comcast bill.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
MsUnderstood

Whoa! comcast and tivo has xfinity on demand? I came here trying to see if I should upgrade my series 3 to series 4. is that the box that has on demand?

I have basic comcast and thorugh tireless negotiation (i.e I'm gonna quit you) I pay $40-55. That is for one step up from basic (i.e I get ESPN and AMC and HD but I do not get much above that).

Update: I just answered my own question...on demand areas listed here:
http://www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-w.../tivo-comcast/

And you need the premier box to get it.

Last edited by MsUnderstood : 01-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.
MsUnderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
worachj

Digital starter in my area is going up next month to $69.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I read on here that XFinity was only available to customers with Motorola equipment, is that still true?

(i.e. if your market uses Scientific Atlanta equipment, the SA/Cisco CableCARDs and equipment is not currently supported)

EDIT: looks like it is no for SA/Cisco
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...16#post9463716

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
diamond.g

Boo, they say XOD is in VA but none of the zip codes I entered show as it being available...
diamond.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalabera View Post
What's your monthly Comcast bill?
This is somewhat difficult for me to answer since I am in a bulk Comcast account. I currently pay a monthly home owners assoc fee of $250. The Comcast bill is 14.4% of the total or $36. But, there are fees, such as administrative fees, that do not directly benefit me. The sum of these fees divided into the fees that do directly benefit me increases the Comcast bill up to another 7%. So my equivalent Comcast bill is as much as about $53 depending on how you think of it.

I have basic channels plus the nonpremium chanels such as ESPN, History and History 2, CNN, Movieplex, Versus, a bunch of music channels, etc. I do not have HD except for about ten local channels. I do not have video on demand through the TiVo, but I do have VOD using the Comcast web site.

How much do others in a bulk cable account pay?
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I've been paying $80/month for all channels and Blast 20mb internet for over 2 years now (double play promo). I escalate to corporate every time my deal expires and have been getting extended on it every time. I think it helps that we also have U-Verse to play them off against in my area.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
SNJpage1

I am surprised how many people stick with the basic pakage. My dad had that and I talked him into switching to the basic digital package which is the same price. However, he gained the music channels, which he loves and half a dozen movie channels. Plus the signal is a lot better since it's digital.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
spaldingclan

I pay $0..OTA baby
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
leiff

I got on one of comcasts better promotions. $50 for digital starter TV with HBO and internet for 12 months. Plus I convinced them to give me blast internet upgrade free for 3 months. Called back a month later to complain about a hidden $10 start up fee and was offered starz for free. When my promo runs out I usually cancel for a couple months and then restart up with new promotion. Last time I kept my cable cards for the two months that I stopped service and though I was called by an automatic message to return card or be charged, I was never charged. The real bonus was for two months I wasn't paying for service, Comcast forgot to turn me off and I still got all channels.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
buscuitboy

I was hoping for Xfinity OnDemand in my area (Atlanta) for my Premieres too, but I'm not holding my breathe on that one and actually have found "alternative" methods to pretty much get anything on my TiVos that OnDemand offers so no need (hint: it involves pyTivo and a networked PC ).

As far as my actual Comcast bill. I play the "cancellation threat" game frequently and it seems to work. Each time its usually a discounted rate for 6 or 12 months, but its better than paying the normal INFLATED rate of $40 more per month. Currently, I am getting their highest digital preferred package, performance internet (12Mbs), two M-cards (for my Premiere units; one lifetimed), 2 S-cards (for a lifetime S3 unit) for about $97/month. They even threw in HBO for 6 months & Showtime free for 3 months. I'll call them in 6 months to threaten to cancel and see what they offer then.

I've thought about upgrading my internet to the "blast" (20Mbs) level, but I have learned the hard way that it seems like whenever you call to change something on your Comcast bill (add/delete services), it sends their whole billing department into a tizzy and the bill winds up getting FUBAR. Therefore, I'm just gonna leave it alone for now and can live with 12Mbs internet speed. Not to mention the $1.50/month rate for the additional cable cards.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-18-2013 at 08:03 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
javabird

What is the advantage of having Xfinity OnDemand over something like Amazon video on demand?
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
What is the advantage of having Xfinity OnDemand over something like Amazon video on demand?
There's a large amount of free content that isn't always available free via other services. They also carry recent episodes of many network and cable shows, so if the TiVo missed the recording (plenty of legitimate reasons it can happen, for instance sports over-runs, 3-way conflicts, you forgot to schedule something new, etc.) you can still catch it OnDemand easily(and free).
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
There's a large amount of free content that isn't always available free via other services. They also carry recent episodes of many network and cable shows, so if the TiVo missed the recording (plenty of legitimate reasons it can happen, for instance sports over-runs, 3-way conflicts, you forgot to schedule something new, etc.) you can still catch it OnDemand easily(and free).
Interesting... I've never used Xfinity altho' I have the option to use it on my computer & my iPad. The only thing that would tempt me would be if it offered movies sooner than the "viewing window" to get them on Amazon VOD or AppleTV.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote